Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

there's a boss whose speedrun strat is just a pattern of like, cut, cut, pocket sand, cut, cut, pocketsand

I’m morbidly curious what a Sekiro speed run even looks like, I assume it’s lots of glitch exploits but the actual fights that can’t be cheesed must be beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hwurmp posted:

Sam Torter Bridges

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

I’m morbidly curious what a Sekiro speed run even looks like, I assume it’s lots of glitch exploits but the actual fights that can’t be cheesed must be beautiful.

Someone did a blindfolded run at the last AGDQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQeeRBtQgzE

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

sekiro speedruns are helped immensely by the fact that fromsoft deliberately programmed in punishment responses to try and gently caress up players that were too defensive or who spammed attacks/items randomly, but that same 100% predictable punishment behaviour means you can lock most bosses into easily exploitable patterns if you know what you're doing

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah if you're good enough at the game you can kill almost anything in one nonstop string of perfect deflects and attacks snuck in through windows of opportunity. most players have much longer fights and/or die because they run out of posture and have to disengage and get trapped in an endless string of punishes/chases and attempts to further recover

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 9, 2022

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Fromsoft thoughtfully left spots where you can glitch through walls and swim through the air

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Harrow posted:

Someone did a blindfolded run at the last AGDQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQeeRBtQgzE

Holy loving hell.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Did Pokemon Arceus turn out good

I'm in a pokemon-y mood but don't know if I should get that or New Pokemon Snap

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I know everyone’s hungry for more ffxiv ARR main quest takes: (idk whether to spoiler tag or not but, I will)
The run up to garuda has the same problems as titan: hours spent doing unrelated poo poo (sometimes it’s some cool poo poo tho, the coerthas mini storyline is pretty fun) and then, the “climax” feels hollow because the game doesn’t tell you much of anything about the big bad villain. Why does elf kid want us to stop Garuda so, so, so bad? She’s not a great lady or anything but she seems to be doing her own poo poo in her own tiny corner of the map. When you get to her, elf kid says “your reign of terror ends today!!” and boy i sure would’ve loved to have seen examples of it in the past five hours of errand-running

But hey the coerthas stuff really made me look forward to heavensward

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's funny the first time but less so the second i think

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looper posted:

it's funny the first time but less so the second i think

The crystal thing? Yeah hard agree

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

Holy loving hell.

it's a doubly impressive run when it comes out that the commentator was diagnosed with covid like 24 hours before the run started and decided to go ahead with commenting anyways because he knew how many eyes would be on it

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Jay Rust posted:

I know everyone’s hungry for more ffxiv ARR main quest takes: (idk whether to spoiler tag or not but, I will)
The run up to garuda has the same problems as titan: hours spent doing unrelated poo poo (sometimes it’s some cool poo poo tho, the coerthas mini storyline is pretty fun) and then, the “climax” feels hollow because the game doesn’t tell you much of anything about the big bad villain. Why does elf kid want us to stop Garuda so, so, so bad? She’s not a great lady or anything but she seems to be doing her own poo poo in her own tiny corner of the map. When you get to her, elf kid says “your reign of terror ends today!!” and boy i sure would’ve loved to have seen examples of it in the past five hours of errand-running

The post-titan through coerthas stuff is definitely a highlight of 2.0 imho. I kind of forgot the crystal thing in the leadup to garula.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

garuda is a primal, she will not keep doing her own thing in the corner of the map, she will command the ixal to conquer coerthas and the great shroud and all of eorzea, and drain the aether of the land and everyone in it until she is unstoppable. that's what primals generally do, and she's particularly aggressive and crazy.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

It's been a while since I played FFXIV but I thought the implication about primals is that they slowly destroy the world simply by existing and passively brainwash anyone nearby, regardless of how nice they might actually be.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Kerrzhe posted:

garuda is a primal, she will not keep doing her own thing in the corner of the map, she will command the ixal to conquer coerthas and the great shroud and all of eorzea, and drain the aether of the land and everyone in it until she is unstoppable. that's what primals generally do, and she's particularly aggressive and crazy.

The game doesn’t state this, or if it does it’s not particularly strongly stated, like with ifrit and the Limsa starting quests the major problem is that primal followers are kidnapping people. The game demonstrates it a lot, and I was happy. But no one in coerthas mentions Garuda at all

Meanwhile the game has had several cutscenes showing the empire doing stuff and probably planning something dastardly, so unlike with titan and Garuda I have a sense of what their whole deal is, and why they’re bad

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

The game doesn’t state this, or if it does it’s not particularly strongly stated, like with ifrit and the Limsa starting quests the major problem is that primal followers are kidnapping people. The game demonstrates it a lot, and I was happy. But no one in coerthas mentions Garuda at all

Meanwhile the game has had several cutscenes showing the empire doing stuff and probably planning something dastardly, so unlike with titan and Garuda I have a sense of what their whole deal is, and why they’re bad

I'm surprised to read this because I feel like they hammer it into you every time a primal shows up

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/DominicTarason/status/1545790880682049537?s=20&t=6RXeKhdmtAVpjkCXdypXVg

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

yeah, I-- that's a pretty good sign

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm surprised to read this because I feel like they hammer it into you every time a primal shows up

I was gonna re-watch every cutscene to PROVE YOU WRONG but now I'm just gonna accept that you're right and I need to stop skipping lines every time I see the word "aether"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

gone

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Help Im Alive posted:

Did Pokemon Arceus turn out good

I'm in a pokemon-y mood but don't know if I should get that or New Pokemon Snap

Arceus is good, it's an interedting bridge between Sword/Shield and Let's Go and, like, Breath of the Wild or Dark Souls. Combat is simpler, pokedex is more complicated, fewer trainer battles but more dangerois wild encounters. Lots of good changes.

New Snap is extremely meh. Cute for a couple hours but I found it very obtuse and too repetitive.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I was gonna re-watch every cutscene to PROVE YOU WRONG but now I'm just gonna accept that you're right and I need to stop skipping lines every time I see the word "aether"

lol I could be forgetting how little they get into in the beginning, I ran through it all starting at the beginning of 2021 but I'm pretty sure

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

tweeted, deleted

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
haven't played arceus but people were generally pretty positive on it. new pokesnap is incredible if you mesh with arcadey rail photography with boatloads of cute interactions between pokemon

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
pokemon snap is incredible. They should just continually release them, over and over, without pause

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i remember wasting my weekly N64 on Pokemon Snap and just being like well gently caress pokemon forever then

what a dogshit game oh i was pissed i'd have rather hosed up and rented Hybrid Heaven again

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
tbh not renting No Mercy and changing all my friend's CAW's to be weak as hell and do the sexy lady walk to the ring was always a mistake

nothing like seeing them in school a little bit later and they are just FURIOUS

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Been playing Echoes of the Eye and goodness me what a phenomenal addition to one of the greatest games ever made.

How on earth is that team SO adept at making game bits and adding a whole chunk to an existing game without it feeling bolted on??

Magic.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Spec Ops: The Line is ten years old:toot:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Alhazred posted:

Spec Ops: The Line is ten years old:toot:

https://twitter.com/BRKeogh/status/1541601062754299907

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Seems a bit excessive to write an entire book about a game where the main character is named Walker because he walk a lot.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I really thought it'd be older than 10, this is the opposite of what usually happens

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Muscle Tracer posted:

New Snap is extremely meh. Cute for a couple hours but I found it very obtuse and too repetitive.

Looper posted:

haven't played arceus but people were generally pretty positive on it. new pokesnap is incredible if you mesh with arcadey rail photography with boatloads of cute interactions between pokemon

cheetah7071 posted:

pokemon snap is incredible. They should just continually release them, over and over, without pause

verbal enema posted:

i remember wasting my weekly N64 on Pokemon Snap and just being like well gently caress pokemon forever then

what a dogshit game oh i was pissed i'd have rather hosed up and rented Hybrid Heaven again

I'm sorry everyone I didn't know pokemon snap was so divisive but I got arceus ty

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I played two hours of arceus, if you like looking at the Pokemon pocket monsters and have a competitionist gene in your body you'll probably enjoy it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you want to look at the pocket monsters snap is the goat

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
I have spent many hours this week staring into World of Horror's code.

Yakuza time beckons. I miss Majima. But dear god, I forgot how BAD the boss fights in Yakuza Kiwami are. It's so much fun until the boss bar shows up, then it's frantically smashing A to break their grab.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Xaiter posted:

Yakuza time beckons. I miss Majima. But dear god, I forgot how BAD the boss fights in Yakuza Kiwami are. It's so much fun until the boss bar shows up, then it's frantically smashing A to break their grab.

why have you taken it upon yourself to fix World of Horror's save code or whatever

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Xaiter posted:

I love Majima so much but after Majima Everywhere I could really stand to never ever fight him again. 90% of the health bars in the game were his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

why have you taken it upon yourself to fix World of Horror's save code or whatever

because i failed a sanity check

Khanstant posted:

I love Majima so much but after Majima Everywhere I could really stand to never ever fight him again. 90% of the health bars in the game were his.

Majima in the batting cages was frustrating as hell. Dude. Just. Would. Not. Die. He had so much health.

Grinding for XP helped a lot, those damage ups make a huge difference.

Xaiter fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jul 9, 2022