Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I've been applying for months but no responses. I haven't had "Director" in my job title for years and I'm sure that's hurting my chances 🤷‍♀️

The CEO and Operations Director have a meeting Tuesday morning to discuss what I told them. I told them I expect an answer by next Friday.

I told him the company won't last another 6 months the way we're going. We need to make serious changes now and they need someone with experience and the skillset to make it happen. I'm that person.

I also told him that I'm not waiting 6 months. I'm not staying on a sinking ship while the captain plugs his ears and ignores the water pooling around his ankles. We make drastic movement to fixing our problems or I'm not going to be sticking around.

We'll see. I'm taking off the rest of the afternoon with a bottle of wine and a bubble bath :allears:

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

larchesdanrew posted:

We'll see. I'm taking off the rest of the afternoon with a bottle of wine and a bubble bath :allears:
:hmmyes:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

larchesdanrew posted:

:amen:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

larchesdanrew posted:

:sun:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

larchesdanrew posted:

I've been applying for months but no responses. I haven't had "Director" in my job title for years and I'm sure that's hurting my chances 🤷‍♀️

The CEO and Operations Director have a meeting Tuesday morning to discuss what I told them. I told them I expect an answer by next Friday.

I told him the company won't last another 6 months the way we're going. We need to make serious changes now and they need someone with experience and the skillset to make it happen. I'm that person.

I also told him that I'm not waiting 6 months. I'm not staying on a sinking ship while the captain plugs his ears and ignores the water pooling around his ankles. We make drastic movement to fixing our problems or I'm not going to be sticking around.

Gatdamn, does top surgery have an option for "insert extra spine" nowadays or something? You are an inspiration especially considering the poo poo you had to go through with the CE and that school position. Amazing to see, I hope you find the rewarding job you so deserve.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

larchesdanrew posted:

Hell yes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just had a new hire ask for a 2nd laptop because he bikes into work and doesnt want to drag his laptop back and forth.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
sounds like a reasonable request

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm gonna give him a stick PC and two monitors, one for home and one for the office. Good to go.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Just hand him an old Nokia Lumia and let him use Continuum. Way easier to carry around

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

GreenNight posted:

I'm gonna give him a stick PC and two monitors, one for home and one for the office. Good to go.

hows he gonna get that monitor home on his bike tho

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

larchesdanrew posted:

Just hand him an old Nokia Lumia and let him use Continuum. Way easier to carry around

I wanted that to work out so badly

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

i am a moron posted:

Guess I'll have to Fedex it to him, 3 miles away.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Same, I wouldn't be fussed about it running any applications but as a decent quality RDP client with RemoteFX support it would be a great option.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

i am a moron posted:

GreenNight posted:

He can utilize his Leather Personnel Carriers.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

GreenNight posted:

No, you're missing a perfect opportunity to make duct tape straps for the box the monitor comes in.

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Duct-Tape-Backpack

Hand it to him and be sure to take a picture of his face.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

Honestly? Just take the feedback briefcase and add it to your resume, and add 'working director' to your resume anyway.

When people ask, say 'people quit, I got more duties without responsibilities', and I'm interviewing because they -wouldn't make it official, here's my reviews.

You don't need tolie on a resume when honesty works better.

Like, you already prepared the briefing, its part of your resume from here on out in the same way letters of reference and contacts are.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I can’t wait to find out exactly how Rogers hosed up and took down a quarter of Canadian internet service yesterday, but they’ve been super tight-lipped about the cause of the outage so far.

There was basically no cellular coverage for most of northern Ontario all day yesterday because the main provider is TbayTel who are a Rogers reseller.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 9, 2022

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I want a story of changes being pushed with no supervision and there not being a permission structure in place to prevent new hires at a junior level from doing the same thing. Give me the messiest situation possible, with a report that leaves people wondering how the network even functioned in the first place.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Thanks Ants posted:

I want a story of changes being pushed with no supervision and there not being a permission structure in place to prevent new hires at a junior level from doing the same thing. Give me the messiest situation possible, with a report that leaves people wondering how the network even functioned in the first place.

The published cause will be "A coordinated attack by squirrels fried all the redundant transformers at the same time"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It's probably DNS

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Renegret posted:

It's probably DNS

Definitely Nutty Squirrels?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Dunno-Lars posted:

Definitely Nutty Squirrels?

Don't kNow, Sorry

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Renegret posted:

It's probably DNS
I've seen rumblings of BGP and being locked out of their own server rooms.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Arquinsiel posted:

I've seen rumblings of BGP and being locked out of their own server rooms.

Facebook 2?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

larchesdanrew posted:

Don't kNow, Sorry

Désolé, No Service, because Canada.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It might just be that we all enjoyed that so much that we want it to happen again, but it could also be true :iiam:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Bob Morales posted:

Home dir sizes:
113TB, 82TB, 32TB, 29TB, 28TB, 15TB,13TB, 14TB, 9TB, 9TB

A customer of mine in the gaming industry is looking to spin up a thousand 128-core 1TB ram workstations for graphics rendering. They’ve discovered that copying down artifacts from a central repository to their desktop takes over twelve hours during the initial provisioning, so they’ve said “fuckit” and now have a couple dozen FSx ONTAP instances using snap mirror to create snapshots of a Lun to mount via iSCSI to each desktop.

Before we had users with dozens of TB worth of build versions on their home drives.

Files. Files everywhere.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The monthly bill on that :eyepop:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

If a recruiter ever messages me about a job that is appropriate for my skill level, experience, and pay scale, I'll eat my pants.

Just got one asking me if I'd be interested in Tier I helpdesk at a startup for a third of what I make with required relocation across the country that isn't reimbursed.

uhhh

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

larchesdanrew posted:

If a recruiter ever messages me about a job that is appropriate for my skill level, experience, and pay scale, I'll eat my pants.

Just got one asking me if I'd be interested in Tier I helpdesk at a startup for a third of what I make with required relocation across the country that isn't reimbursed.

uhhh

they all seem to think I want to move to texas or florida to pull cable or install desktops.

if I want to crawl under someones desk, I can make a whole lot more money than just installing desktops

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah if someone thinks you're going to move into pulling cable then you might as well retrain as a spark and make bank

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I avoid this nonsense by never having made a LinkedIn account.

The worst I get is Google occasionally contacting me, and it's not exactly a terrible position, just not one I'm interested in.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

larchesdanrew posted:

uhhh

I get that poo poo all the time. They see help desk experience and call it a match. Throwing poo poo at the wall, hoping one sticks.

Did get hit up on a promising one. Appropriate level, full time remote, and pay scale is good (really good, actually). Got a second interview this week.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

AlexDeGruven posted:

Did get hit up on a promising one. Appropriate level, full time remote, and pay scale is good (really good, actually). Got a second interview this week.

Yeah, I got my current gig through a LinkedIn message, but it was an internal recruiter for the company in question, not an external person.

I feel like internal recruiter versus external tends to be the difference.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Spoilered for whining about gender in tech stuff.

Prefacing this with reminding you that I'm trans.

I found a job opening for an IT Director at a local private school, which is exactly my skillset. I have receipts from my work at the high school that are all very impressive. I redid my resume to be more aesthetically pleasing and sent it along. A couple hours later I got a response that they had just filled the position and best of luck to me. A real shame.

But it started eating at me. Why was the job listing still up? LinkedIn only reported one applicant and I haven't seen this job advertised anywhere but their own website, that doesn't even show up when you google "Private Schools in [area]."

My natural conclusion was either nepotism or discrimination (my pronouns are in my resume).

I submitted my old pre-transition resume with the same info, but just my deadname listed. An hour later they asked when I could come in for an interview.

Hilariously crushing, especially coming from a school that specifically touts diversity and inclusiveness in its mission statement and courses.

Now I'm starting to wonder if I'm not finding jobs specifically because I'm a woman/trans. I mean, I know that's it, and I knew this was the reality when I decided to publicly transition but oof, it's so demoralizing.

Bleh. I just want one solid break. It's been like 10 years of low blow after low blow.

Oh well, we keep trucking ever onward.

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

That sucks, but you dodged a bullet I guess?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also that sounds legally actionable, but like... way too much loving effort :negative:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Arquinsiel posted:

Also that sounds legally actionable, but like... way too much loving effort :negative:

Yeah I generally have to seriously weigh the financial burden of upsizing my combo to a large at my one budgeted fast food meal every two weeks.

I absolutely don't have the time or money to fight some snotty private school for being bigoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

larchesdanrew posted:

Yeah I generally have to seriously weigh the financial burden of upsizing my combo to a large at my one budgeted fast food meal every two weeks.

I absolutely don't have the time or money to fight some snotty private school for being bigoted.

Steps you could take without breaking the bank:

--Call local employment lawyers and ask for a free consultation. Explain what happened, ask if it's worth pursuing, ask if they take cases pro bono (free) or on contingency (they take part of the winnings), and, importantly, ask what you should do when/if you run into this situation again.

--File complaints with the feds and the ACLU
https://action.aclu.org/legal-intake/report-lgbtqhiv-discrimination
https://www.eeoc.gov/youth/how-file-complaint