Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

If you can put yourself in the position of Ed, what is Dustin?
He's a loser at love (not specifically ugly,

If you pay attention to the reactions of the women he tries to pick up at the bar, apparently he is supposed to be ugly. He's not drawn ugly or with terrible fashion sense, but the women react like he's at least one, sometimes both, of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Do people really struggle to assemble IKEA furniture? Why is this such a trope?

"Arf, tomorrow we are going to assemble a Billy Bookshelf, so get some rest"
_________/

*traumatic flashbacks to the time my mom went IKEA-crazy and spent thousands and thousands of dollars on furniture for the whole house, which took most of a week to fully assemble*

still using the desk more than two decades later though

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Ah yes, dryboarding, the opposite of that infamous torture technique, wetboarding.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Q-Rais Talks to Himself

--

And Q-Rais' daily from yesterday, since I thought it was cute:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

goatface posted:

I hope the old man gets home and finds his wife suffered a heart attack while he was out and couldn't get to the hospital. Then it has a dramatic pull-back "Nooooooo" panel.

The Heart Attack of the Magi

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "324 - Jucika's In A Hurry"

"egér! = mouse!"

"325 - Jucika Wants To Take A Bath"

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Redacted.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

It's too bad that ikea furniture doesn't have some kind of universally recognisable tool, so the artist had to resort to drawing a generic hammer and nails.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (May 29-31, 1922; spoilered for the "magic" word used in reference to a Chinese-American laundry proprietor. ("Magic" because if you're dumb enough to use it now it makes your good reputation disappear.))

Toonerville Folks (August 14-16, 1919)

R. Norris Williams, American tennis champion and Titanic survivor. "Shortly after the collision, Williams freed a trapped passenger from a cabin by breaking down a door. He was reprimanded by a steward, who threatened to fine him for damaging White Star Line property, an event that inspired a scene in James Cameron's film Titanic (1997). Williams remained on the doomed liner almost until the very end. At one point Williams' father tried to get a steward to fill his flask. The flask was given to Williams and remains in the Williams family."

Dok's Dippy Emergency Contingency (April 1, 1914)

Little Lefty (December 31, 1936-January 3, 1937)

And yeah, that's the same Art Young who's been sending us to Hell in Life Magazine. He'd been feeding work to the Worker on a regular basis throughout the 1920s

This strip slid in under the first Sunday Lefty of '37, and although it had been going since the beginning of the Sunday Worker, it kinda popped at me this time around.

Blondie (From Zero) now continues its search for America's next Dagwood. (June 16-18, 1932)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

EasyEW posted:

This strip slid in under the first Sunday Lefty of '37, and although it had been going since the beginning of the Sunday Worker, it kinda popped at me this time around.

Is Nat Turner in the wrong place or is that a different Turner?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Aug 20, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 4-5, 1991)

Big Nate

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Kavak posted:

Is Nat Turner in the wrong place or is that a different Turner?

That might be him behind John Brown's forearm, next to Harriet Tubman. That center section definitely needs a little finessing.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

~Coxy posted:

It's too bad that ikea furniture doesn't have some kind of universally recognisable tool, so the artist had to resort to drawing a generic hammer and nails.

Some Ikea furniture requires you to use hammer and nails:ssh:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Pardon My Planet

Meh, it's been done.

One Big Happy gives us the Joker as a child.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 02, 1952)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

... what behavior? What has this kid done wrong?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/8/02

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 2/3-5/49

Smokey Stover 12/19/48

Everyday Movies 5/6/35

"Oh, I suppose it's all right to write him a note; I wouldn't be very personal, seeing he didn't even try to kiss you."

Dick Tracy Contest 2/2-5/49

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1947

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

EasyEW posted:

Not sure we want to be lionizing Nathaniel Bacon, Sunday Worker.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Have we seen any commentary on American Indian issues or characters in Little Lefty?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Vargo posted:

Curtis

... what behavior? What has this kid done wrong?

I think that it's because he's had to grow up too fast, and it comes out with him being very direct with the parents/adults & jokes about quasi-adult things. Every time he says something, Curtis looks like he's about to choke.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

Kavak posted:

Have we seen any commentary on American Indian issues or characters in Little Lefty?

We saw a single native at one of the rallies in the early going, and they seemed happy to have him, but another time we also saw Uncle John seem to back manifest destiny. It's...kind of a mixed bag.

Mutts

Sally Forth, in which Hillary takes a honey of a wrong turn.

Peanuts (July 12, 1975)

To be fair, he was retrieving a man down behind enemy lines. Priorities, Patty...

In case you didn't know that the BSS Discord is still alive, a bunch of us spent yesterday afternoon unpacking Funky Winkerbean for a new arrival, specifically why it'd be stashed in a folder titled "Newspaper Comics Hall of Shame". Just unspooling all those headache-inducing storylines off the tops of our heads was a good time, and the repeated responses of "you have to be making this poo poo up" was deeply gratifying. but that piece of our brains could've been dedicated to learning a trade. And yeah, I know "professional snarker" is a job description now, but come on...

And we didn't even get to Les Moore's Oscar for Best Actress.

Crankshaft

One thing I learned from watching too many shows like Billy the Exterminator is that if you have bees in your eaves, you better check your eaves for a hive before you stuff up the the drat cracks. Those guys dug out a lot of hidden honeycombs. One more subtle way that Ed is dooming his daughter's family.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 8, 1939)

Out Our Way, in which Goldfixer (or is it Slim now?) watches the finger on his personal monkey's paw curl down. (April 17-19, 1939)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

I made this mistake once. ONCE. Wasp nest somewhere inside a hole in the siding on the house. Stuffing up the hole seems like such a reasonable thing to do after spraying in the wasp foam -- they'll be stuck in there with the poison and will die faster, right?

Ask me about my kitchen full of confused, angry, and/or dying wasps.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

Wonderful. Incredible final panel.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mister Kingdom posted:

One Big Happy gives us the Joker as a child.

I...just realized how happy I had been to not see One Big Happy and Ruthie, the lovely moralizing Evangelical child, in months

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Mr. Squishy posted:

What's wrong with your faaaaaaaaaaaace

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mr. Squishy posted:

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 02, 1952)

I used to skim past Val, I thought it was too busy and wordy and not very engaging. Boy was I wrong.
I make that same face when assaulted by mosquitos, vexatious bloodsuckers.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

So he slammed the door in her face and walked away?

F Minus

Mark Trail

Sassy!

Mary Worth

Yeah especially since you're about to lose your job.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he never stops murdering fish.

Apartment 3-G

Merry Christmas in July!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

(Formerly Chuck's)

Honestly as far as the bad world building goes? Seed Day's pretty good.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

If anybody still has the old Mark Trail Sassy panel, the one where it's a closeup of Sassy and it just says SASSY! next to her, it would be a service to the thread to dig it out of storage and post it.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Hostile V posted:

(Formerly Chuck's)

New lore, Kevin and Kell live in Ohio

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

somepartsareme posted:

New lore, Kevin and Kell live in Ohio
That really explains so much about why they live in a murderous hell on earth.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Julet Esqu posted:

If anybody still has the old Mark Trail Sassy panel, the one where it's a closeup of Sassy and it just says SASSY! next to her, it would be a service to the thread to dig it out of storage and post it.

Didn't find it, but saw an old edit of mine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "326 - Jucika Thinks Of Winter Too"

"327 - Jucika's Hunting Prey"