Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Maeve finds Hughie's cheery and friendly demeanor annoying, it doesn't jive with her cynical nihilism.

I used to work with somebody who had the same attitude as her, I made it a point to be especially friendly to them because "gently caress you"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Give us Jack from Jupiter in the Seven you cowards.

Also no Terror all season wtf

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 9, 2022

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

unlimited shrimp posted:

Economic anxiety is real and has more explanatory power than "some people are just filled with frothing rage". While it's true that lots of middle class white dorks voted for Trump, it's also true that support from whites, including non-college whites, was up for Biden in 2020 while support from Asian, Black, and non-college Latino voters was down. Especially amongst non-college educated Latino voters. After four years of Trump madness, his white support declined and his minority support increased. I think that's more interesting and probably more consequential than another drink from the "white rage" well. Importantly for the show, there is no obvious Other for all those Homelander fans to be rallying against. We are given no motivation at all except catharsis through watching a literal godlike superhuman flex and dominate. That could be compelling if it were fleshed out, but it isn't.

The show says nothing interesting about Homelander's appeal and so it says nothing about Trump or American domestic politics, either. It's just the MSNBC view of the world. But that's true of the satire in the show generally -- toothless, especially this season. We get lots of Marvel parody but the show has given up on making any kind of incisive satirical commentary. There's fits and starts, like with social media engagement being its own kind of superpower (or shield), but then they do nothing with it. It just is.

if there is anything i've learned in the 13 years i've been following politics, it's that cultural reasons are just as, if not MORE powerful a motivating factor than economic reasons. one of the most salient moments in politics that has stuck with me all these years was the republican primary in 2011. rick perry's seen a bumbling doofus nowadays, but there was a point where he was the Republican golden boy. He was a handsome, seemingly competent governor from a state that he could brag was doing great cause of conservative policies. hell, he was one of the few rightwingers who did an interview with jon stewart and didn't come off looking like a complete asshat. so when he got the nomination, conservatives were celebrating from the rooftops.

that is...until that one fateful moment during one of the debates where he had the audacity to claim we should treat undocumented immigrants with respect. he was booed by the crowd immediately and his approval ratings utterly cratered at remarkable speed and they NEVER recovered. for the longest time i used to wonder how conservatives would handle someone who checked off nearly all boxes but still had some traits that would rub up against them, and which ones would take priority and which ones would they overlook, and then i got my answer in that debate. hating mexicans was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more important than getting your taxes lowered or having a strong economy.

this is why i feel the scene with todd was perfectly fine. the guy is more than economically secure, but still wound up jizzing over homelander cause he went after his enemies. it's the same reason i saw so many people who were otherwise "liberal" completely make u-turns after Gamergate. in conclusion, one should never, ever underestimate the power of owning the libs

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Mr Interweb posted:

cultural reasons are just as, if not MORE powerful a motivating factor than economic reasons. - libs

Read Marx

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the next members of the seven are neumann, her daughter, and ryan. its like when DC got big into having all the characters having magic dogs and stuff. kid members of the seven! neumann will be out as a supe & president at this point after ellsworth's head mysteriously explodes (AGAIN)

also neumann and homelander are going to have a power couple thing. they'll probably hate each other

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

read anita sarkeesian

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Read more comics.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Did anyone ever tell Homelander about Temp V, or does he think that Hughie and Butcher have for real powers?

A-Train too actually, since he was surprised at Hughie's strength at Herogasm.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

unlimited shrimp posted:

Economic anxiety is real and has more explanatory power than "some people are just filled with frothing rage". While it's true that lots of middle class white dorks voted for Trump, it's also true that support from whites, including non-college whites, was up for Biden in 2020 while support from Asian, Black, and non-college Latino voters was down. Especially amongst non-college educated Latino voters. After four years of Trump madness, his white support declined and his minority support increased. I think that's more interesting and probably more consequential than another drink from the "white rage" well. Importantly for the show, there is no obvious Other for all those Homelander fans to be rallying against. We are given no motivation at all except catharsis through watching a literal godlike superhuman flex and dominate. That could be compelling if it were fleshed out, but it isn't.

The show says nothing interesting about Homelander's appeal and so it says nothing about Trump or American domestic politics, either. It's just the MSNBC view of the world. But that's true of the satire in the show generally -- toothless, especially this season. We get lots of Marvel parody but the show has given up on making any kind of incisive satirical commentary. There's fits and starts, like with social media engagement being its own kind of superpower (or shield), but then they do nothing with it. It just is.

Sure, but now you're just wishing this was a different show, which is fine. Originally you were acting like it was some kind of plothole or writing misstep that Todd rooted for Homelander (he "had no reason given for finding Homelander appealing"), which isn't true, it's just that you aren't interested in what the season is saying about toxic masculinity and you'd rather have it focus on "economic anxiety" and other aspects of real world American politics.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

whatever you read, make sure it's not that stupid fucker, KA Applegate

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

oh jay posted:

Did anyone ever tell Homelander about Temp V, or does he think that Hughie and Butcher have for real powers?

A-Train too actually, since he was surprised at Hughie's strength at Herogasm.

I am pretty sure he explicitly calls Maeve out for giving it to them in the scene where he has her kidnapped.

A-Train probably doesn't know.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

if homelander was really scared he probably should have had the one unlocked mini-fridge where they keep all the V and Temp V moved. maybe put a bike lock on there

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I am pretty sure he explicitly calls Maeve out for giving it to them in the scene where he has her kidnapped.

so if he knows about it, why didn't he have it all destroyed by now?

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

BlackIronHeart posted:

Real talk, how the hell do they stretch this out for 16 more episodes especially now that Homelander (probably) knows he can get away with murder in broad daylight? Butcher having a terminal diagnosis and having 'lost' Ryan means he has absolutely nothing to lose, right? You'd think Homelander would see that killing Butcher immediately would really uncomplicate his life even if Homelander is kind of dumb and a malignant narcissist.

Not explicitly addressed but Homelander actually has more motivation to toe some kind of line as long as he’s got Ryan back. Not enough to keep from lasering that guy but enough to not want the plane video to get out or make good on his threat to destroy the country.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

That DICK! posted:

if homelander was really scared he probably should have had the one unlocked mini-fridge where they keep all the V and Temp V moved. maybe put a bike lock on there

Yea for a moment last episode I thought Victoria was showing him the lab info on Temp V (It was yellow paper like the lab results), so he knew it was fatal, ie he let Starlight walk away with it because he knew it was going to kill Butcher and Hughie. But then by the end of that episode we saw it was Ryan's address.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mr Interweb posted:

so if he knows about it, why didn't he have it all destroyed by now?

I rewatched the scene and he doesn't explicitly say it. But he knows that Maeve is helping Butcher so maybe he puts it together later.

Also could be overconfidence on his part. Or maybe he thinks it's fun so he can have some fights with Butcher while not being in any real danger. Or he really doesn't know. Or the writers forgot.

That DICK! posted:

Remember when it was hard to get into Vought Tower?

Even Butcher himself said it would be difficult in the finale lol

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Looking forward to The Boys Season 4: Brightburn.

Also this was great:

https://twitter.com/satansmessage/status/1545544077206102016

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
TBF it was harder when someone who knew what they were doing was running the company. We saw what he let the deep do to crime analytics who knows what he let happen to the other departments

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

christmas boots posted:

TBF it was harder when someone who knew what they were doing was running the company. We saw what he let the deep do to crime analytics who knows what he let happen to the other departments

yeah i guess "homelander was distracted" is the genuine conceit, show dont tell is always better but this is the one show that i actually wish had more tell. they're trying to jam so much in with so little time, they need to accept that they need to have an awkward scene where a vought assistant tells homelander that while they're aware of the issues with having an open mini-fridge with the secret formula our entire company hinges upon, they can't change it because Reasons. show's better than tell, but tell is better than nothin'!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
In season 1 Homelander is secretly having A-Train move Compound V all over the world to create super villains for Homelander to fight, and one of the reasons he does it is because it supports the idea of supes in the military, which has been Vought's #1 goal for decades

He knows about V24 and doesn't care because he thinks he's stronger than anyone, even if they're on V24. I just don't think he ever expected to have to fight multiple temp supes AND members of the Seven at the same time

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Fionordequester posted:

It's odd that they're leaning so heavily into the anti-Trump propaganda (like their version of "I could shoot laser someone in 5th Avenue and not lose a single voter"), like he's somehow still relevant.

I mean... He was a glorified celebrity. He coasted entirely on being "new, exciting, and politically incorrect"... Then fell on his rear end when it mattered most.

Thus, he loses re-election. He gets laughed out of the courtroom. He even gets banned from Twitter.

This would've hit harder a few years ago... But at this point, they're just preaching to the choir, aren't they? Or is it like some sort of weird PTSD thing?

He's gonna be president again in January of 2025, you know this is true.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

unlimited shrimp posted:

:yeah:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

In season 1 Homelander is secretly having A-Train move Compound V all over the world to create super villains for Homelander to fight, and one of the reasons he does it is because it supports the idea of supes in the military, which has been Vought's #1 goal for decades

He knows about V24 and doesn't care because he thinks he's stronger than anyone, even if they're on V24. I just don't think he ever expected to have to fight multiple temp supes AND members of the Seven at the same time

in season 3, just a couple episodes ago, he was experiencing fear and paranoia for the first time because of the encounter he had with soldier boy & a gang of suped up normies he's spent his entire life antagonizing. i guess there's enough there to support that he's more fixated on soldier boy, the first guy near his tier, whose mantle he stole, but "all of the powerless ants i've tortured for decades have collectivized and gathered the means to extract their revenge" seems like a much more interesting angle to go with. it just makes him look real, real stupid, and less threatening as an antagonist as a result

but hey i get it, "fathers do be like their sons sometime" was totally unexplored territory in the world of fiction and they had no choice but to dedicate 7 plotlines to it

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Tender Bender posted:

Sure, but now you're just wishing this was a different show, which is fine. Originally you were acting like it was some kind of plothole or writing misstep that Todd rooted for Homelander (he "had no reason given for finding Homelander appealing"), which isn't true, it's just that you aren't interested in what the season is saying about toxic masculinity and you'd rather have it focus on "economic anxiety" and other aspects of real world American politics.

The show isn't really saying anything about toxic masculinity, either. They barely characterize Todd beyond "white guy is titillated by Homelander." There's almost no discussion about his politics that isn't trammeled through MM's trauma and personal issues. MM's big confrontation with Todd in the driveway is all about his daughter's physical security and not about taking her to see Homelander per se. From a normie POV, MM comes off like a deranged idiot and then settles the score with violence when Todd points out he's a poo poo dad, so maybe there's something there about toxic masculinty (except I think we're supposed to feel bad for MM and not Todd?) But if Todd is supposed to be commentary on anything then its both a plothole and a writing misstep. IIRC Todd has a throwaway line about liking Homelander for being a big swinging dick. My money is on that being a much more commonplace sentiment if Homelander actually existed. You're basically left projecting onto the character because the show itself has zip to say.

"Recognizing and processing trauma" was the only really consistent theme this season, whether it's Butcher and Hughie, MM's revenge quest, the roots of Hughie's insecurity, Soldier Boy's spiel to Butcher, or Homelander's abusive childhood. The message seems to be that trauma is not great. A+ writing.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

In Season 1, Walter White is struggling to juggle his responsibilities as a father and husband with the two jobs he works

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

that sounds really shortsighted of him considering that one supe and two compound V infused supes were enough to completely subdue him. now imagine an entire ARMY of even hughie/butcher level supes possibly committing a mutiny against HLer if the situation arised?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

that sounds really shortsighted of him considering that one supe and two compound V infused supes were enough to completely subdue him. now imagine an entire ARMY of even hughie/butcher level supes possibly committing a mutiny against HLer if the situation arised?

man come to think of it stacking soldier boy AND temp v in the same season was such a waste. both of them were individually compelling enough "here's our plan for killing homelander this season" arcs and combining them just made both less good. i love when shows throw everything but the kitchen sink but if the end result is "well, most everything is the same" i'd rather they just take their time

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

unlimited shrimp posted:

The show isn't really saying anything about toxic masculinity, either. They barely characterize Todd beyond "white guy is titillated by Homelander." There's almost no discussion about his politics that isn't trammeled through MM's trauma and personal issues. MM's big confrontation with Todd in the driveway is all about his daughter's physical security and not about taking her to see Homelander per se. From a normie POV, MM comes off like a deranged idiot and then settles the score with violence when Todd points out he's a poo poo dad, so maybe there's something there about toxic masculinty (except I think we're supposed to feel bad for MM and not Todd?) But if Todd is supposed to be commentary on anything then its both a plothole and a writing misstep. IIRC Todd has a throwaway line about liking Homelander for being a big swinging dick. My money is on that being a much more commonplace sentiment if Homelander actually existed. You're basically left projecting onto the character because the show itself has zip to say.

"Recognizing and processing trauma" was the only really consistent theme this season, whether it's Butcher and Hughie, MM's revenge quest, the roots of Hughie's insecurity, Soldier Boy's spiel to Butcher, or Homelander's abusive childhood. The message seems to be that trauma is not great. A+ writing.

I don't think that's what plot hole is

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

That DICK! posted:

man come to think of it stacking soldier boy AND temp v in the same season was such a waste. both of them were individually compelling enough "here's our plan for killing homelander this season" arcs and combining them just made both less good. i love when shows throw everything but the kitchen sink but if the end result is "well, most everything is the same" i'd rather they just take their time

agreed. and that's not even including SB's depowering ray. him being almost as strong as HLer would have been enough on its own.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Just occurred to me, about how the season finale was a bit of a dud.

The Boys blew their load too early at Herogasm.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Season Finale could have maybe been better, but I still loved it. This entire season was amazing and the best show i've watched on TV this year so far by a million miles. So hyped and excited for season 4.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

christmas boots posted:

I don't think that's what plot hole is

"plot hole" in the sense that, if I'm supposed to be thinking that Todd is a toxically masculine chud, then there's a big hole in the plot where that characterization should be. I get why I'm supposed to think that about him but there isnt much within the story itself to get you there, especially if you try to make sense of things from Todd's level. He isn't privvy to anything the audience knows about Homelander and, until Starlight speaks out, there isn't a competing vision to Homelander/Vought like there was with Trump and Clinton/Biden.

Todd (and Homelander's followers by extension) only works as social commentary if you substitute knowledge of real world politics for what we actually see in the show, which is why it's boring writing imo.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

unlimited shrimp posted:

Todd is barely characterized because he's a tertiary character in a secondary character's B-plot. He's part of the toxic masculinity theme that's a throughline across the season. It's Hughie's entire arc this season. It's why they hammer home again and again that Hughie feels weak and wants to save his girlfriend, despite her not wanting or needing it. It's why he has those conversations with Soldier Boy about Manliness. His climax in the finale is rejecting his impulse to save Starlight and instead supporting her as she saves herself. It's why MM hitting Todd is a failure for MM. Yeah you have to project some real world parallels into the show, but the show is explicitly leaning on and inviting those parallels with Todd's little comments, the newscasters, the signs at rallies, the chyrons about Starlight being a jilted hysterical woman, etc. The show expects that the viewer lives in the real world and doesn't need hours of supplemental lore to understand that the poo poo rife throughout our world is there in The Boys as well, it's not just random comments that have no connection to anything else happening.

It's the blunt theme that's hammered across your face all season. You can argue that you didn't find it interesting or effective, but if you're saying "maybe there's something there about toxic masculinity" I just can't really agree at all.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 9, 2022

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Mr Interweb posted:

drat, if you stick it in there you make HitLer :thunk:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That DICK! posted:

whatever you read, make sure it's not that stupid fucker, KA Applegate

What the gently caress

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

ruddiger posted:

Read more comics.

but not the boys, it's awful

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
The radicalization montage with Fat Neil in season 2 was much better than whatever they're doing with Todd but just because Todd's a dweeb doesn't mean he can't have anything to say about toxic masculinity since worshiping toxic masculinity is more common and just as dangerous as projecting it.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

2nd level spells posted:

The radicalization montage with Fat Neil in season 2 was much better than whatever they're doing with Todd but just because Todd's a dweeb doesn't mean he can't have anything to say about toxic masculinity since worshiping toxic masculinity is more common and just as dangerous as projecting it.

i don't remember this, but i do remember Fat Mike and New Fat Mike of Frisky Dingo, the superior cynical superhero throw-up show

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZVAFPPMZY4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

That DICK! posted:

i don't remember this, but i do remember Fat Mike and New Fat Mike of Frisky Dingo, the superior cynical superhero throw-up show

Fat Neil is the guy who accused the convenience store clerk of being a supe terrorist before murdering him.