Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
My mom (divorced, raising two boys at the time) was a nurse in the Air Force. They made her do a regular firearm competency class at a firing range, which was the only time she ever used a gun. She was a pretty good shot though, with passing marks. She hung the bullet-perforated target on our farmhouse door as a deterrent to any would-be intruders, even though we didn’t have a gun in the house. It worked well enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

LawfulWaffle posted:

My mom (divorced, raising two boys at the time) was a nurse in the Air Force. They made her do a regular firearm competency class at a firing range, which was the only time she ever used a gun. She was a pretty good shot though, with passing marks. She hung the bullet-perforated target on our farmhouse door as a deterrent to any would-be intruders, even though we didn’t have a gun in the house. It worked well enough.

You fool. All it did was make thieves think your mom had a well-calibrated firearm they could sell for delicious, delicious drugs.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I gotta wonder if this performative room sweeping act is self reinforcing the same way a barking dog is. Someone comes and passes by the house, dog barks, person leaves. Dog thinks they scared off intruder, barks more as a result. Every day this tacticool guy does all this rigamarole the house doesn't get burglarized, thus he thinks it worked and does it more. I mean are homes with people like this really less likely to get burglarized? It certainly seems like a deterrent if a burglar knows they might encounter a nut like this.

There's also the problem of assuming the burglar is sane. If you assume a burglar is sane then yes, they will avoid occupied homes, avoid confrontations with residents, and the threat of lethal force is a strong deterrent for them. But what if they are mentally ill or high? What if they are so desperate they don't care who might be around at the time, or what if they are prepared to deal with an armed resident ahead of time?

The justification I hear for killing someone over a stolen TV is that the resident cannot possibly intuit the intentions of the intruder and that they are going to put their own safety and survival ahead of some unknown variable. They'll engage in a circular argument about it-they have to be prepared to use lethal force, because a robber chose to break the law and inadvertently put themselves in a position where that might happen, if you don't want to be shot by a homeowner, don't break into their house.

Interestingly, I've known two ex military gun nut types who did have a burglar break in at night while they were there and the outcome was amusingly the same-for all the tough talk and posturing to friends and family in both scenarios they were so scared/stunned at having a stranger in their home that they just froze up and stammered to the burglar to get out, which the burglars thankfully did.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Panfilo posted:

Interestingly, I've known two ex military gun nut types who did have a burglar break in at night while they were there and the outcome was amusingly the same-for all the tough talk and posturing to friends and family in both scenarios they were so scared/stunned at having a stranger in their home that they just froze up and stammered to the burglar to get out, which the burglars thankfully did.
Jim Jeffries sold his rear end out to be "Hollywood" so hard it was amusingly pathetic, but in his come up he had a nice bit of stand-up about guns and how when he was robbed it didn't really matter what training or tools he could have had-- it was the middle of the night, he was jostled out of sleep, and he was buck-rear end nude.

That's when you get the weird dudes who start hiding slicks all over their house:

and it's all just a naked aping of that scene from the start of the 2000 movie Gladiator where someone tries to wake Russell Crowe up in a tent and he's got a knife in his hand ready to go. Every one of these loving dudes saw that and went "yeah, yeah that's what a real man does." I tried so hard to find that scene on YT but if you remember that movie you'll know. It's a weirdly memorable beat because Crowe has always done a good job at selling that kind-of bottled aggression.

And I'm sure that mentality can work in some situations. If I were living on the street or in prison I can see the value in conditioning yourself to be ready to at least surprise someone and radiate "not worth loving with me" energy, especially if you're not a big or tough-looking guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4BeKkv2uho

But in a domestic suburb it's not only pathetic it's a conditioning that well, yeah like other users said if you let yourself get too used to that eventually you're going to run into your kid getting a glass of water at 0330 and your reflexes will have you attack them before you even know what the gently caress is going on.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

mind the walrus posted:

Jim Jeffries sold his rear end out to be "Hollywood" so hard it was amusingly pathetic, but in his come up he had a nice bit of stand-up about guns and how when he was robbed it didn't really matter what training or tools he could have had-- it was the middle of the night, he was jostled out of sleep, and he was buck-rear end nude.

That's when you get the weird dudes who start hiding slicks all over their house:

and it's all just a naked aping of that scene from the start of the 2000 movie Gladiator where someone tries to wake Russell Crowe up in a tent and he's got a knife in his hand ready to go. Every one of these loving dudes saw that and went "yeah, yeah that's what a real man does." I tried so hard to find that scene on YT but if you remember that movie you'll know. It's a weirdly memorable beat because Crowe has always done a good job at selling that kind-of bottled aggression.

And I'm sure that mentality can work in some situations. If I were living on the street or in prison I can see the value in conditioning yourself to be ready to at least surprise someone and radiate "not worth loving with me" energy, especially if you're not a big or tough-looking guy:

But in a domestic suburb it's not only pathetic it's a conditioning that well, yeah like other users said if you let yourself get too used to that eventually you're going to run into your kid getting a glass of water at 0330 and your reflexes will have you attack them before you even know what the gently caress is going on.

The "oops I ND'd into my spouses head while trying to shoot my kid"-5000, king of headboards

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

e: I completely missed a joke and responded seriously to it. So sorry to everybody who had to read my dumb post.

Arsenic Lupin has a new favorite as of 18:21 on Jul 9, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The gently caress? Let's talk about "forcing their beliefs" when it comes to the LGBTQ+ community. The beliefs that are being propagated is that queer people are allowed to be queer in public. This includes, yes, going to the bathroom. There are also allowed to be books in schools that mention queer people because there are queer students. Is this something you object to?

Did you try googling for more info?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The gently caress? Let's talk about "forcing their beliefs" when it comes to the LGBTQ+ community. The beliefs that are being propagated is that queer people are allowed to be queer in public. This includes, yes, going to the bathroom. There are also allowed to be books in schools that mention queer people because there are queer students. Is this something you object to?

Read the last paragraph.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Samovar posted:

Read the last paragraph.

Sorry, the joke flew straight over my head. "Bara" is an anime term, right?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The biggest problem with those jokes is nothing shocking actually comes up, unless you're maybe doing image search for some reason

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sorry, the joke flew straight over my head. "Bara" is an anime term, right?

If I remember correctly it refers to dad-bod characters

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Bara literally means "rose" but yes, it refers to dad-bod gay dudes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

it didn't happen by the way.

I still love the OICW where they glued a 1990's CCTV camera to the top of two guns and called it the future.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 18:56 on Jul 9, 2022

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

OwlFancier posted:

I still love the OICW where they glued a 1990's CCTV camera to the top of two guns and called it the future.

That fucker looks HEAVY.

Imagine humping up a mountain with a 20 pound gun. Lol.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Bananana posted:

That fucker looks HEAVY.

It weighs more than twice as much as an M4 yes.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

War fighter was a term if I remember my ancient army lore came about with the turn of the millennium for the war fighter initiative we were supposed to have a new fancy rifle with smart grenade launcher and detailed comms and info so we were like digital cyberdudes

WARRIORS FOR THE DIGITAL MILLENNIUM

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/POLITICOMag/status/1545412160922292225?s=20&t=QQ6EiiwGXzxqqUx_Mxg0aw

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Bananana posted:

That fucker looks HEAVY.

Lol at the time I hauled an m60 so :shrug:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Lol at the time I hauled an m60 so :shrug:

WELL NOT EVERY ONE IS A BIG BUFF SAW MAN. :mad:

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
https://mobile.twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1545401081542443008

He was definitely an expert at comforting women.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Does anyone have that twitter post where that "responsible gun owner" was arguing that any truly "responsible gun owner" should have a few accidental discharges per year, because if they aren't, they won't be able to react in time to a "threat".

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

how does the same meme always go viral and yet, this one time, people have to fact check it

(she killed him, clearly)

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Nebrilos posted:

Does anyone have that twitter post where that "responsible gun owner" was arguing that any truly "responsible gun owner" should have a few accidental discharges per year, because if they aren't, they won't be able to react in time to a "threat".

It was dumber than that, wasn't it? The 'logic' was that if you didn't pop off at least a few NDs each year you clearly weren't handling your gun enough so you'd be more dangerous...

edit: Here it is

https://twitter.com/fenrir_71/status/1472906156217708549?s=20&t=Ug9jVCGvCXQazN--JKlvXQ

"NDs are a natural part of handling weapons, like car accidents are part of driving." Telling on yourself there, I think.

BalloonFish has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Jul 9, 2022

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

As a general rule the more someone loving loves being a badass military vet and regrets nothing, the further they were from The poo poo. Combat veterans don't talk about it and mostly regret and hate the service.

Are you prior, too? Because I want to vouch for your entire post.

:smith:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

The Bananana posted:

im like 5 feet tall and i weigh a buck thirty with boots.. sorry

actually the SAW was the m249

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

im like 5 feet tall and i weigh a buck thirty with boots.. sorry

actually the SAW was the m249

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

As a general rule the more someone loving loves being a badass military vet and regrets nothing, the further they were from The poo poo. Combat veterans don't talk about it and mostly regret and hate the service.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Prism posted:

When the gently caress did they start getting called Warfighters anyway? It sounds incredibly stupid. 'No other term is hardcore enough, I have to be a WARFIGHTER™'.

I used to work in capability development and we used this term a lot in planning documents for joint military capabilities where it's an inclusive way of snagging all services and genders of "fightfolks" (I just made that up and I'm going to trademark it).

When written in to decision briefs, it's also a low key way to remind decision makers that "hey you're planning to send these people to fight and die so maybe don't cheap out on the gear".

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
hoist by my own petard yet again.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Party Ape posted:

I used to work in capability development and we used this term a lot in planning documents for joint military capabilities where it's an inclusive way of snagging all services and genders of "fightfolks" (I just made that up and I'm going to trademark it).

When written in to decision briefs, it's also a low key way to remind decision makers that "hey you're planning to send these people to fight and die so maybe don't cheap out on the gear".

It also sounds sexier than "servicemembers" which I always thought was perfectly, uh, serviceable.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

The Bananana posted:

If people would join the Bipartisan Alliance to Restore America they would be

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Today someone from the Guardian accidentally published to facebook while they thought they were DMing someone for the login to the telegram app.
Funny enough they did it twice within a 15 minute window.

So just some general tech dumbness instead of hate speech for once.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Tactical guys are weird and dumb, but have you ever met someone with their own guard dog? Those guys are a whole new level of nuts. I was at a bar once and this guy got kicked out because he brought his guard dog and the poor thing was clearly getting freaked out by all the drinks and people were getting nervous. Like why did he think it was a good idea?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

grittyreboot posted:

Tactical guys are weird and dumb, but have you ever met someone with their own guard dog? Those guys are a whole new level of nuts. I was at a bar once and this guy got kicked out because he brought his guard dog and the poor thing was clearly getting freaked out by all the drinks and people were getting nervous. Like why did he think it was a good idea?

I was at a place where a guy threatened to come back and shoot the whole spot up because they wouldn't let him bring his dog and a couple bags of groceries in.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

grittyreboot posted:

to these kind of people the dog is an accessory without any of its own feelings or needs

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

moonmazed posted:

to these kind of people the dog is an accessory without any of its own feelings or needs

:byodood: "IT IS MY SERVICE ANIMAL!"

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
"Thank you for your service, animal"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

maybe they should bring their guard dogs in their handbags

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Call it an emotional support dog and watch them punch the walls in impotent rage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I would only want a dog that defends their owner because they like me and not because of some bullshit breed eugenics thing that idiots go for.