Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bad Purchase posted:

legal analysis is pointless because laws don’t apply to rich people and it’s just going to come down to which side manages to get the case in front of their chosen corrupt judge

the entire point of contract law is to mediate cases like this where two very rich people get into a dispute

it absolutely matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Main Paineframe posted:

the entire point of contract law is to mediate cases like this where two very rich people get into a dispute

it absolutely matters

lol

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

ilmucche posted:

what happens if musky ends up owning twitter but doesn't want it? does he immediately sell it for a loss?

he will tweet the n word, nobody can stop him

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Bogus Adventure posted:

The best possible outcome is the end of Twitter and Elon Musk

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

An interesting thing from this guy's Twitter thread: the assumption people have that this will be one of those long, drawn-out court lawsuits that takes years to get through. When in fact, given the way the laws in Delaware are structured, it's very likely it will be decided in a matter of months (unless they reach a settlement before then). Delaware's laws that pertain to these kinds of cases tend to be very heavily weighted in the favor of corporations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Yeah this is not gonna be a years-long thing, other writers who know about this stuff are also saying that it'll be quick.

My guess is that the judge enforces specific performance and twitter agrees to a bigger payout than just the $1 billion to let Musk walk away. Twitter is happy, the banks who are regretting signing the finance offers are happy, Musk is mildly humiliated but still super-rich.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Sydney Bottocks posted:

An interesting thing from this guy's Twitter thread: the assumption people have that this will be one of those long, drawn-out court lawsuits that takes years to get through. When in fact, given the way the laws in Delaware are structured, it's very likely it will be decided in a matter of months (unless they reach a settlement before then). Delaware's laws that pertain to these kinds of cases tend to be very heavily weighted in the favor of corporations.

Lmao

Live by the loosest incorporation laws, die by the loosest incorporation laws.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Backing out of this buyout puts him up against literal trillionaire investment companies, not some random lady he sexually harassed. Delaware basically continues to exist as a state for the sole purpose of providing a consistently favorable court system to corporations that trick suckers into signing bad contracts, the law can be bought but he can't afford a competitive bid

Entirely possible that Morgan Stanley makes Twitter let him out for only a billion or two because they figure personally destroying Musk would disrupt the market and threaten to do more than $16b in damage to their other holdings, but that's more a 'we can't have nice things' speculation than based on anything concrete

Yeah, some people are clearly thinking this is "musk vs twitter libs" but it's actually "musk vs 'the infrastructure of capitalism'" and they want their loving money.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

goatface posted:

He could either try and flip it (either at a loss or after some market adjusting tweets), "fix" it, or burn it to the ground out of spite.

Twitter needs some "fixing" at this point, but tbh I dont think he can pull it off. I'd actually like him to fix twitter because it has good potential but is mismanaged imho

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Bad Purchase posted:

Holy poo poo, finally a way to monetize twitter: "Post 10 n words for $19.95 (best value)".

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Party Ape posted:

Holy poo poo, finally a way to monetize twitter: "Post 10 n words for $19.95 (best value)".

musk is african american so it's ok for him to do this

lol republicans actually believe this

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Party Ape posted:

Yeah, some people are clearly thinking this is "musk vs twitter libs"

With Musk himself being one of the principal idiots who thinks that :v:

quote:

but it's actually "musk vs 'the infrastructure of capitalism'" and they want their loving money.

Also known as the "finding out" phase that follows the "loving around" he did when deciding to buy Twitter on a whim.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
for once, whoever loses we kinda win a bit. I just want to see one of them eat poo poo, just a little. little turd appetizer. poopy nosh for Twitter or Elon. let me have this, universe, you ask so much of me.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

teen witch posted:

for once, whoever loses we kinda win a bit. I just want to see one of them eat poo poo, just a little. little turd appetizer. poopy nosh for Twitter or Elon. let me have this, universe, you ask so much of me.

Hope is hard to come by these days but there's a very real possibility that Musk is forced to blow all his liquid assets on Twitter, Twitter goes the way of Myspace inside four years, and we don't ever have to hear about either again

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Ol' Musky done stuck his pecker in a hornets nest :clint:

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Hope is hard to come by these days but there's a very real possibility that Musk is forced to blow all his liquid assets on Twitter, Twitter goes the way of Myspace inside four years, and we don't ever have to hear about either again

Even better if the lawsuits drag out for years and Twitter goes the inevitable way of all social media before it settles and Musk still has to pay a shitload of money for a more modern MySpace

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

ilmucche posted:

what happens if musky ends up owning twitter but doesn't want it? does he immediately sell it for a loss?

Sell it to who? loving Aquaman?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Time_pants posted:

Sell it to who? loving Aquaman?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Mr. Lobe posted:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Expand your empire, Jeff.

I know you can.

Give in to your lust for power. The Dark Side is stronger.

Take the Twitter for yourself.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Twitter goes the way of Myspace inside four years, and we don't ever have to hear about either again

lmao

Elerion
May 31, 2011

goatface posted:

I don't know who it was in this thread who suggested "Tell me 'bout my penis" to the tune of the mario underground music, but I've been singing it to myself around the house all day.

gently caress you. Bless you. gently caress you.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS

twitter is gay enough, but is it dead enough?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Bad Purchase posted:

twitter is gay enough, but is it dead enough?

The original question posed was effectively asking who would buy it when it dies, so, it would be

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finally Jeffery can own CSPAM 2, Son of CSPAM

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Purchase posted:

its fine hes african american

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
For some reason, I was thinking there might have been something else going on with Twitter involving Tesla and that company's self-driving cars. Does Twitter as a company have any ownership or patents on anything that could be exploited for that?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

JediTalentAgent posted:

For some reason, I was thinking there might have been something else going on with Twitter involving Tesla and that company's self-driving cars. Does Twitter as a company have any ownership or patents on anything that could be exploited for that?

You're making the mistake of assuming Elon could reason out a play like that himself.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Klyith posted:

Yeah this is not gonna be a years-long thing, other writers who know about this stuff are also saying that it'll be quick.

My guess is that the judge enforces specific performance and twitter agrees to a bigger payout than just the $1 billion to let Musk walk away. Twitter is happy, the banks who are regretting signing the finance offers are happy, Musk is mildly humiliated but still super-rich.

My money is on them forcing specific performance AND going all the way through with it at the agreed price. It's in all the shareholder's interests to get more money for Twitter than they would ever get for it otherwise, and all this poo poo has been grinding the shares down further. Besides, it seems clear that there are so many people who want out, and that the management loving hate Twitter, and getting a historically great exit would make an easy c suite somewhere else.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Elong wasted the valuable time of a legitimate AI savant, who was my housemate in grad school and actually finished a PhD. Computer Scientist specialized in machine learning vision who joined a startup in NYC, which Tesla acqui-hired, thereby wholesale replacing the team previously poached from the cream of Carnegie Mellon's CS department. They laid off his crew recently and I don't think his six figgies was commensurate with the opportunity cost of burning years out of a productive maybe-genius

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

JediTalentAgent posted:

Yes, the car could automatically tweet out excuses as it crashes into an oncoming train or into a parked truck, thus saving Tesla supporters and Musk valuable time later.

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022
Crossposting from idiots on social media thread:

The man just can't help himself apparently

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Apologies if already posted - but I read this and felt like it answers a lot of questions:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-07-09/elon-s-out

There is an interesting point made about whether or not Elon would actually comply with anything if ordered to by a lower court, "What if the court orders Musk to close the deal and he says no? They’re not gonna put him in Chancery jail", and what impact this would have on the Delaware corporate law system as a whole.

I kinda feel like it's all very well courts telling normal people they are bound by XYZ and are ordered to do ABC, but billionaires? Billionaires who are more than happy to weaponise ~100M of followers?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol @ WEAPONZING elon's army of chud cosplayers

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Well, yeah, it is ridiculous.. I think it's more of a case of him being likely to just laugh about a serious judgement openly, knowing they aren't going to do anything to him or that any fine he gets would be less than what he's being asked to pay to actually proceed with it all.

Honestly the funniest thing would be Twitter just straight up banning him, although they can't easily do that with obvious legitimacy within the confines of their own rules.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
the thing with bots on Twitter is that it has a massive and diverse user base and you would expect the bots to be just as diverse. so actually calculating the number of bots is going to be very difficult.

so in those circumstances would Twitter actually claim there were a certain number of bots? I think instead they would define a methodology to estimate bots and use that number. so they wouldn't be making any claims about the accuracy of the number. all they are claiming is the number was correctly calculated using the method they stated was used.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Durzel posted:

I kinda feel like it's all very well courts telling normal people they are bound by XYZ and are ordered to do ABC, but billionaires? Billionaires who are more than happy to weaponise ~100M of followers?
A south-african billionaire disrupting the equality inside the Legal system? Totaly unexpect- No, i can't do it. He was born and raised one emerald in the pocket by one emerald in the pocket to destroy that illusion, really.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Durzel posted:

Apologies if already posted - but I read this and felt like it answers a lot of questions:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2022-07-09/elon-s-out

There is an interesting point made about whether or not Elon would actually comply with anything if ordered to by a lower court, "What if the court orders Musk to close the deal and he says no? They’re not gonna put him in Chancery jail", and what impact this would have on the Delaware corporate law system as a whole.

The Chancery Court can in fact put people in jail. It's quite rare for them to do so, but it's quite rare for people to defy court rulings. There are a couple of people who can't set foot on US soil anymore because they defied the court and had to flee the country to avoid arrest.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

kazil posted:

musk is african american so it's ok for him to do this

lol republicans actually believe this

Nah, they don't. They believe it'll make you mad and that's why they pretend to believe it. They know drat well that they're just playing stupid word games.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

I'm not sure why he believes Twitter would have to disclose additional bot info in court, that's not what the case would be about. It would surely be up to his team to prove their allegations that Twitter has disclosed false information, and based on his letter they don't have jack squat to show in terms of evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

I oopsed and posted there not here but

Pretty sure he's just stealing someone else's work again.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561