Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

1. Tell Me Why
  2. Vampire Survivors
  3. SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech
  4. Elden Ring
  5. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
  6. Xenoblade Chronicles 2

4/5. Gacha mechanics sucked rear end, party AI was full on retarded (never combo toppled/launched/smashed anyone), also no reason to control anyone outside of Rex for these reasons.

XC1 party members at least had different ways of playing, which made it feel fresh when you swapped. In this game, everyone is the same boring rear end driver who will never realize an enemy is Toppled. You're kinda pigeon holed into being Rex forever, if you want to do the epic combos.

Daikatana Ritsu fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

You're right about needing to be Rex all the time but I have vague recollection of Tora's AI being able to combo, or at least being the only character besides Rex that can reliably do Topple, Launch, Smash all by himself. The problem is by the end of the game Pyra/Mythra are so unbelievably OP that you would be a fool to not use Rex. I wanted to have Zeke in my group but since Nia is a requirement for heals and Zeke isn't a tank the only one you can really replace is Rex and it's just not worth the time and is actively detrimental if you want to fight some of the endgame unique monsters.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yeah nia bein the only story blade healer really limits party comp hard, you basically cant use the zekenator and you pretty much only want to use tora because poppi-qt pi is busted good if you like the arcade game even a little. i really fuckin liked the fusion combo/chain attack system though, gettin a seal detonation and doing tens of millions of damage to everything is godly

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[34] Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (MSX) 7/7/22

Review:
As a huge MGS fan it's always interesting playing this game because MGS is just a straight up remake of this. It's pretty amazing what Kojima was able to accomplish in this game in 1990. It has great stealth action gameplay, lots of series staple items like the cardboard box and using it to transport around the base in trucks, a tape that plays the zanzibarland national anthem and forces troops to stand at attention, and overall a pretty good story with a lot of twists for the time. There is a ton of backtracking, which does get annoying, but it makes up for it with good set pieces during these sequences. I had to look up the guide 3 times, once for the swamp, another for the tap codes, and lastly for the 9th keycard which is totally hidden lol. Overall, a great game that is only held back by pointless padding. This game shows Kojima's ideas were ahead of the time, especially for 1990.

8/10

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Kongming posted:

You're right about needing to be Rex all the time but I have vague recollection of Tora's AI being able to combo, or at least being the only character besides Rex that can reliably do Topple, Launch, Smash all by himself. The problem is by the end of the game Pyra/Mythra are so unbelievably OP that you would be a fool to not use Rex. I wanted to have Zeke in my group but since Nia is a requirement for heals and Zeke isn't a tank the only one you can really replace is Rex and it's just not worth the time and is actively detrimental if you want to fight some of the endgame unique monsters.

Yeah, unfortunately I had to bench Tora due to the nature of Poppi's upgrades. The minigame is fine as a minigame, but being a necessity to make her stronger was a mistake imo. Still one of the best characters in the game tho

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

I actually thought the ai was fairly reliable at driver combos by endgame. I kept most enemies driver locked most of the time, but I was usually controlling Tora for the reliable break + launch and relegated Rex to just pyra/mythra to guarantee he’d do the right thing if he was in my party.

My bigger problem was the ai switching to a lovely element, eg being in a fire chain and one of them switching from fire to water when the enemy has a fire weakness. Like come the gently caress on lol.

Basically it sucks because I didn’t feel like I could use all of my options since it usually would hurt more than help to use 3 blades on the cpu at a time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

15. b) Dicey Dungeons - Reunion DLC

Just dropped today out of nowhere as a complete surprise. Very cool twists on the usual gameplay for all 6 characters.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
[35] Metal Gear Solid (PSX) 7/7/22
Review:
One of the best games ever made, and a game I have beat countless times. We stole the demo disc for this out of OPM or whatever as kids we were so excited. It's still a blast to play even today. It really set the bar for what games could be. I will love this one forever.

10/10

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Metal Gear (MSX). Rough around the edges but fun and a Solid (LOL!!!!!!!!!) start for the series

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

1. Final Fantasy V - Pixel Remaster
2. Monster Hunter Rise (first credits)
3. Elden Ring
4. Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin - Hard Mode (all main missions)
5. Ghostwire: Tokyo - hard, all side missions, all yokai
6. Chrono Trigger - All Sidequests
7. Death Stranding
8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge - 4p co-op (Michelangelo)
9. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
10. Kirby and the Forgotten Land

The whole game is really good but the last few stages are insanely cool. An absolute joy to play.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The Bradwell Conspiracy

It was 'kinda good' right up until the last puzzle which was a huge janky nightmare. Tried a lot of things and did most of them poorly, at least it was short.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

1. Rift Wizard
2. Grand Cross Renovation
3. Doom 64
4. Elden Ring
5. Rolling Gunner Overpower
6. Sekiro
7. Blazing Chrome
8. Contra Hard Corps
9. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
10. RimWorld
11. Dodonpachi Saidaioujou
12. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
13. Metal Gear Solid: Ghost Babel
14. Deadly Premonition 2

never crashed/10

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

1. M.U.S.H.A.
2. Ion Fury
3. Thunder Force II
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Inscryption
6. Elden Ring
7. Gran Turismo 7
8. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
9. Kirby and the Forgotten Land
10. Deathloop
11. LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga
12. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
13. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
14. Dark Souls 3
15. Helltaker
16. Doom Eternal: The Ancient Gods Part 1 & 2
17. Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated

The knockback in this game is pretty annoying, but it largely holds up from my memory of playing it as a tween, or maybe I'm just desperate for my 3D Platformers like this

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Super Mario Bros. 1cc

Didn't mean to do this but it just kind of happened. This is the best game ever.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

Super Mario Bros. 1cc

Didn't mean to do this but it just kind of happened. This is the best game ever.

lets see if you can accidentally 1cc smb2j now

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I was only ever able to beat the All-Stars version.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Ten Yard Fight.

This game is easy and boring. The final score in the super bowl was 17-0

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

47) Superliminal

Game leans heavily on aesthetics over gameplay and story, which is honestly ok by me because it's really cool to wander around in the places they've created. The entire last chapter is just a parade of different themes and vibes that could each carry entire an entire indie game on their own. There's still a lot of 'game' left after playing, but I don't want to meticulously scour every nook and cranny for collectibles or deal with the already frustrating physics in a challenge mode so I'm done at the credits roll. I did find the 'dog ending' easter egg which was a direct recreation of the dog ending from Silent Hill 3.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Vambrace: Cold Soul - Light Ending

I've had this game sitting on my switch for like 3 years without getting around to playing it. It's a Darkest Dungeon knockoff that's more story based and has a set main character. I was really wanting to play some Darkest Dungeon this week but the sequel doesn't leave early access till next year so I decided to give this a try and see if it scratched the itch. It did alright, it's considerably easier and a lot less polished. But it was fun enough. I don't see myself replaying it for the other endings though.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

18) Metal Gear Ghost Babel (Bat Rank lol)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak, saw credits which means the game is just beginning. A kick rear end expansion although I wish it had just like 1 or 2 more all-new monsters. Luckily there's a Roadmap with oodles of content ahead

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

metal gear - "deer" rank

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

48)LEGO Lord of the Rings

LEGO games are dope.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Cuphead DLC. It was just as good as the base game, I liked the mystery of the relic side quest, and the relic and Ms. Chalice added some replayability. The only bad part is it reminds me of how much I hate the cartoon

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

49)It Takes Two

Probably one of the best strictly Co-Op games I've played with probably one of the worst stories in gaming.

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops. A very short game that I took a very long time to beat

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Plebian Parasite posted:

49)It Takes Two

Probably one of the best strictly Co-Op games I've played with probably one of the worst stories in gaming.
I’m convinced it’s a master troll to get a bunch of gamer dudes to convince their non-gamer wives/gfs to play it with them and then make them sit through the elephant scene together.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Final Fantasy XIV (All Fish Caught)

This is the most unhealthy gaming task I've ever taken on, and I've done plenty of grindy MMO bullshit. I still love this game but I really want to ease off of any video game stuff that requires you to adjust your real life schedule based on what's happening in the game.

There's a fish in this game, Ealad Skaan, that is often unavailable for days of IRL time, sometimes over a week between windows, and when it's up it's available for literally 90 seconds. And during that time there's about a 1% chance of your casts actually getting it. And it's far from the hardest fish to catch in the game (well, probably top 20 out of over a thousand).

Still felt super satisfying to get 'em all though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Martman posted:

This is the most unhealthy gaming task I've ever taken on, and I've done plenty of grindy MMO bullshit. I still love this game but I really want to ease off of any video game stuff that requires you to adjust your real life schedule based on what's happening in the game.

There's a fish in this game, Ealad Skaan, that is often unavailable for days of IRL time, sometimes over a week between windows, and when it's up it's available for literally 90 seconds. And during that time there's about a 1% chance of your casts actually getting it. And it's far from the hardest fish to catch in the game (well, probably top 20 out of over a thousand).

Good God man

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Martman posted:

:coolfish:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Martman posted:

Holy god. Well done man

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Martman posted:

Congratulations to my fellow <Big Fish> title holder. Wear that poo poo with pride man.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

thanks imps. for those who are curious, this fish tracker website can give a sense of the absurd number of fish in the game and all their ridiculous requirements.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Ealad Skaan was the last one I caught for the title as well, but I think Lancetfish was harder. I also gave up on catching all the blue quality fish on the ocean voyage content, I was missing two of those because I loving hate the ocean voyage poo poo. So if you actually caught all of those you've one-upped me.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Kongming posted:

Ealad Skaan was the last one I caught for the title as well, but I think Lancetfish was harder. I also gave up on catching all the blue quality fish on the ocean voyage content, I was missing two of those because I loving hate the ocean voyage poo poo. So if you actually caught all of those you've one-upped me.
Yeah I just finished getting the 7 fabled ocean fishing dudes, it almost broke me.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Martman posted:

Congratulations Mamkute *looks at username* what the

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Martman posted:

Badass

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted: