Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

It’s covid more than some vague notion of gaming monoculture imo

Just play games on your backlog, my steam deck’s been getting more play than my desktop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

reports suggest that the opposite is happening and AIBs are pushing nvidia to delay the new cards as much as possible

You're not basing this on a Moore's Law Is Dead rumor, right? Cause I saw some semi-respectable sites posting the story, but it turned out they were just regurgitating MLiD.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

You're not basing this on a Moore's Law Is Dead rumor, right? Cause I saw some semi-respectable sites posting the story, but it turned out they were just regurgitating MLiD.

No, it's just the buzz that's been going around for a few weeks now, with the report about Nvidia wanting to scale back orders with TSMC being especially telling.. The only thing they're offering is to delay shipments a quarter, supposedly. So what may have been a launch in july or august could be pushed back toward the end of the year.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
One thing to keep in mind when considering a high refresh monitor is that some monitors do a poor or at least inconsistent job of handling sub-max fps content. In other words, you can end up feeling the difference of lower FPS because of the worse or at least inconsistent response rates of the monitor, rather than anything inherent to the games themselves.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you always wanna target your VRR range imo.

Destoration
Apr 30, 2012

chippy posted:

I've never had onboard sound that didn't have that IC interference really badly, especially when using headphones and a mic. But I've used an external interface for years as I do music production. Is it less of a problem nowadays?

Maybe I've just been extremely lucky, but I've never had a problem with onboard sound. My second pc I had a soundblaster card I got for cheap but the next six motherboards after that I've only used onboard sound with no issues. I've always been on clean steady power though. Maybe that's the variable?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I've been getting weird graphical artifacts on my 3070 Ti, though only in Forza Horizon 5 so far. In this screenshot, much of the road is incorrectly darkened and there is some weird color effect in front of the car:

I installed an older driver that seemed to fix it but ran into other similar issues soon after. Other FH5 users don't seem to have this problem so I guess my video card is not doing well, right? Is there a good way to check if the onboard VRAM is working properly, like memtest for system memory? I don't think it's an overheating issue because FurMark only gets it up to 75 degrees.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Destoration posted:

Maybe I've just been extremely lucky, but I've never had a problem with onboard sound. My second pc I had a soundblaster card I got for cheap but the next six motherboards after that I've only used onboard sound with no issues. I've always been on clean steady power though. Maybe that's the variable?

Could be lucky. Could be the power. Could be your headphones or speakers masking the effects. Could also be that your brain/ears are not sensitive to the differences between on-board and dedicated devices.

Hearing is incredibly subjective. If you're happy, don't waste money to chase the dragon.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I've been getting weird graphical artifacts on my 3070 Ti, though only in Forza Horizon 5 so far. In this screenshot, much of the road is incorrectly darkened and there is some weird color effect in front of the car:

I installed an older driver that seemed to fix it but ran into other similar issues soon after. Other FH5 users don't seem to have this problem so I guess my video card is not doing well, right? Is there a good way to check if the onboard VRAM is working properly, like memtest for system memory? I don't think it's an overheating issue because FurMark only gets it up to 75 degrees.

Did you also revert any overclock or undervolt you may have applied? Make sure it is at completely stock settings.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Destoration posted:

To continue from Kibner's point about subjectivity, what are you comparing it against? What is the highest quality audio system you use regularly?

I've upgraded my audio system several times over the decades and every time the new setup has been better, but not radically. But couple times I have had the chance to listen on my old setup after some time and I have been surprised how bad it was. It was only after I had gotten used to the new system that I was able to hear the difference in quality.

I also have a good example in adaptation. My previous apartment was a small single room. My left speaker was in the corner of the room while the right one was next to a open space, a small kitchen. Those were the only practical places to set them and it was not good, the audio was badly misbalanced. The left speaker was clearly louder because of the corner effect. This has been the only time I have had to adjust the balance in my audio setups. But it still wasn't good. The audio was in balance on average, but the high sounds were louder on the right, while the low sounds were louder on the left. It was really annoying, but it was the best I could do and I had to live with it.

Then maybe six months later I suddenly realized something. I couldn't hear the imbalance any more! The audio was still as wrong as it had been the whole time, but my ears had gotten recalibrated to the room.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

eerily relevant to our discussion from a few days ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1ZnAwUg9CU

seems very practical

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

seems very practical

Not to mention the fan on the floor to actually move the air through

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

seems very practical

Hell yeah lol

change my name posted:

Not to mention the fan on the floor to actually move the air through

Yeah it seems like you’d want an exhaust fan to suck everything out. Probably not a super high pressure one though not sure creating a vacuum in there would be the best idea?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The fan is hidden behind the monitors in that second pic, I think.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Kibner posted:

Could be lucky. Could be the power. Could be your headphones or speakers masking the effects. Could also be that your brain/ears are not sensitive to the differences between on-board and dedicated devices.

Hearing is incredibly subjective. If you're happy, don't waste money to chase the dragon.

The thing I've seen with onboard sound in the past wasn't just like worse SNR or whatever, it was like this high pitched, scratchy, digital sounding distortion, almost like modem noise, that would like change in pitch and intensity when I did things like move the mouse, or anything than changes the graphics card load. Arguably still subjective I guess but it was very obvious.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

chippy posted:

The thing I've seen with onboard sound in the past wasn't just like worse SNR or whatever, it was like this high pitched, scratchy, digital sounding distortion, almost like modem noise, that would like change in pitch and intensity when I did things like move the mouse, or anything than changes the graphics card load. Arguably still subjective I guess but it was very obvious.

that sounds like you had a defective motherboard, if i'm being honest here. i've never seen that, even in the early days of awful onboard audio.

I did have an annoying issue with my current motherboard though where using the ethernet port caused audio hiss whenever data was being transferred.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

that sounds like you had a defective motherboard, if i'm being honest here. i've never seen that, even in the early days of awful onboard audio.

I did have an annoying issue with my current motherboard though where using the ethernet port caused audio hiss whenever data was being transferred.

Maybe. I've seen it on multiple systems, but many years ago.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

It very obviously wasn't a defective motherboard; this type of thing is absolutely normal. Exchanging the motherboard five times for the same model won't make it any better. The real fix for bad on-board audio is buying a USB soundcard.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Kibner posted:

Did you also revert any overclock or undervolt you may have applied? Make sure it is at completely stock settings.

I haven't messed with that at all

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Brb building a narrow pipe around my heat sinks wherein dynamic pressure increases, static pressure decreases, and temperature drops as airflow is forced through a venturi

I'm joking, but I've actually wondered where ventilation pipes had gone. I could swear that at the turn of the century, there were some PCs where air was routed directly to the CPU cooler through a plastic tunnel. Or sort of enclosing hit components in their own little wind tunnels.

These days with current TDPs for GPUs and CPUs something like that might actually work, provided thee is still some airflow for the other components. Hoep there's s crazy builder who tries it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Criss-cross posted:

It very obviously wasn't a defective motherboard; this type of thing is absolutely normal. Exchanging the motherboard five times for the same model won't make it any better. The real fix for bad on-board audio is buying a USB soundcard.

I have never in my life heard high-pitched screeching coming from the onboard audio by just moving a mouse. That is an extreme example and can't be normal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I have never in my life heard high-pitched screeching coming from the onboard audio by just moving a mouse. That is an extreme example and can't be normal.

My computer does it. As did my previous one. It’s not that loud, but annoying nonetheless.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm joking, but I've actually wondered where ventilation pipes had gone. I could swear that at the turn of the century, there were some PCs where air was routed directly to the CPU cooler through a plastic tunnel. Or sort of enclosing hit components in their own little wind tunnels.

A lot of Dells from this time period did - they showed up elsewhere, as I recall, but it was very much Dell's thing for a while.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Rinkles posted:

My computer does it. As did my previous one. It’s not that loud, but annoying nonetheless.

What the gently caress man, leave it to goons to have this extremely weird edge case and multiple posters have had it

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

A lot of Dells from this time period did - they showed up elsewhere, as I recall, but it was very much Dell's thing for a while.

Yeah, I've got a small form factor Optiplex that has a plastic divider inside doing its best to route the CPU exhaust towards the rear vents and away from the rest of the components

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I wouldn’t quite describe it as screeching but my sandy bridge motherboard did this.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

I’ve had that issue from several motherboards over the years - it’s not like, terribly irritating, unless you use headphones and music with a lot of dynamic range. Playing games and/or loud music through typical computer speakers, you’d never notice it. That’s why I hung on to my SB X-FI until switching to a USB DAC a few years ago.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

hobbesmaster posted:

I wouldn’t quite describe it as screeching but my sandy bridge motherboard did this.

I have also used at least one computer that did this. But it was so long ago I don't remember any details. And it was almost like a rapid clicking instead of a screech.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I had a poo poo laptop which amplified its own coil whine through the speakers

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Last system I personally had it on had a QX9650 and a GTX 1080. I remember it coming through on guitar parts I was recording (but I had it on my outputs too) and that was when I gave in and bought an external interface. But as I say I've seen it a bunch of times. I also wouldn't call it screeching as such. It's loud enough to be annoying especially with headphones but it's not like it's drowning out the actual audio.

chippy fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jul 10, 2022

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I remember my nforce2 system doing the weird quiet morse code interference sounds but I think onboard audio was still a dumb little novelty at the time

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Cavauro posted:

I remember my nforce2 system doing the weird quiet morse code interference sounds but I think onboard audio was still a dumb little novelty at the time

Yeah I had this something like this too way back then. Was gonna say, but didn't know how to describe it other than very small "bahbahbahbah"

Morse code interference sounds right though. I just accepted it because it was so minor but I don't know how I did that when it would bug the hell out of me today just because it's not perfect.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

reminds me of the era where an incoming cell phone call would buzz the speakers

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

shrike82 posted:

reminds me of the era where an incoming cell phone call would buzz the speakers

This… most of what people Are describing sounds like a gsm phone in the vicinity. I don’t doubt there can be issues, but seems like everyone here has had a lot of bad luck with audio

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That sounds exactly like the interference of high power parts Igor's Lab tested for, which I mentioned above. It's absolutely not an edge case, it happens with virtually all onboard sound.

Whether it's not just measurable but also noticeable depends on your audio "setup" of course. Hearing is subjective, and the type of headphones/speakers and chosen levels have an influence too. A different mainboard might be affected in ways that bother someone less, but since this is not a problem of defective mainboards, a straight RMA of the same model shouldn't be expected to help.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster posted:

i remember *all* the cheap via motherboards doing this back in the day, it was amazing how consistent it was.

in recent years i haven't heard it because i use digital wireless headphones now, but yeah my relatively expensive haswell motherboard did this too

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Think you all need an exorcist for your systems

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
hrm, could it be a regional thing? maybe the variances in the electrical systems influence how the PSU outputs waste electromagentic energy, or otherwise somehow related to the power grid, i wonder? or maybe tolerances with hearing? or psychosomatic, it could be that too

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I can't remember the last time I had weird noises coming out of speakers/headphones, but my last few computers have had horrible noise on mics until I got a cheap interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I also have a 3070ti and run into the exact same problem in horizon 5. The solution was to lower either msaa, shadows or textures by 1 notch cause I was actually going over 8gb vram which causes those weird funky colors.