Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Red Warrior posted:

He was criticizing the inconsistency in application of rules on track limits and passing. Then he left the drivers briefing early without permission'.

Having a mental picture of a pissed off Seb striding angrily down a hotel hallway just loving cracks me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cimber posted:

Having a mental picture of a pissed off Seb striding angrily down a hotel hallway just loving cracks me up.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Toe Rag posted:

how do you account for changing conditions and the order they go out in, though? there's too much of a lottery aspect to a single lap qualifying imo. even with 90s laptimes, that's ~300s per driver (out lap, hot lap, in lap). a lot can change in an hour and a half.

You are right, drivers just got boned if it started to rain.

“In championship order, drivers would go out one by one on Friday which determined the running order for Saturday.

On Saturday, the drivers each went out in reverse order of the previous day's result to go put it all on the line for one lap. To add a strategical element, you had to qualify on your race fuel load.

F1 introduced a single-lap format to decide the grid. One-by-one, Friday running would determine the order for a Saturday, and one flying lap the following day would sort the order for the race”

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Looking forward to George's first win tomorrow after the Max DNF and the two Ferrari's tripping over each other on the first lap and having to pit

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Thanks Ants posted:

Looking forward to George's first win tomorrow after the Max DNF and the two Ferrari's tripping over each other on the first lap and having to pit

very tiktok'd

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Or Ferrari fucks up their strategy handing the win to Red Bull while Mercedes earns less points than Haas and SkyF1 spends the majority of their broadcast jerking off over Lewis's battle for 10th place with Ocon or some poo poo.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Rectal Placenta posted:

Or Ferrari fucks up their strategy handing the win to Red Bull while Mercedes earns less points than Haas and SkyF1 spends the majority of their broadcast jerking off over Lewis's battle for 10th place with Ocon or some poo poo.

Albon could win and race and Sky would forget he's a Brit.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It’s been wild seeing Ferrari’s strategy this whole season. These passionate mfs are crazy!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zedd posted:

Albon could win and race and Sky would forget he's a Brit.

Albon would win and Sky would probably only talk about his mom

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I can’t think of exactly how it would work and probably that’s why I’ve never heard of it but is there anyway that they could do some kind of a shootout qualy? The most fun of qualifying is watching the cars do one lap as close to the edge as they can. The 3 round works for sure imo, but I would love to see some kind of “max did a 1:15.3, now Leclerc has a one shot lap to best it.” This is probably functionally stupid and has a hundred thousand logistical problems (not the least tires) but it’s the coolest sounding. Let me see the last 5 drivers edging out tenths on each other until they absolutely can’t anymore.

The sprints suck because they just mostly filter out semi interesting qualy results, and fwiw I think the current qualifying format is pretty good.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I can’t think of exactly how it would work and probably that’s why I’ve never heard of it but is there anyway that they could do some kind of a shootout qualy? The most fun of qualifying is watching the cars do one lap as close to the edge as they can. The 3 round works for sure imo, but I would love to see some kind of “max did a 1:15.3, now Leclerc has a one shot lap to best it.” This is probably functionally stupid and has a hundred thousand logistical problems (not the least tires) but it’s the coolest sounding. Let me see the last 5 drivers edging out tenths on each other until they absolutely can’t anymore.

The sprints suck because they just mostly filter out semi interesting qualy results, and fwiw I think the current qualifying format is pretty good.

didn't they try to do shootout qualifying in like, 2015 and they scrapped it less than halfway through the season because it sucked and everyone hated it

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

how do you account for changing conditions and the order they go out in, though? there's too much of a lottery aspect to a single lap qualifying imo. even with 90s laptimes, that's ~300s per driver (out lap, hot lap, in lap). a lot can change in an hour and a half.

I Dont Care

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Nascar qualifying is boring. At least with F1 there's more than one car to watch on the track during the session, plus there's always racing to the line shenanigans.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

acidx posted:

Nascar qualifying is boring. At least with F1 there's more than one car to watch on the track during the session, plus there's always racing to the line shenanigans.

Gee I wonder why nascar qualifying is boring Lmfao

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How can vettel bring something else into disrepute? Like if they've done something poo poo and he brings it up, that's not his fault.

Lol are you new to the world? It doesn't matter on what scale or what setting it is, the people who bring up the fact that the people in charge are doing something hosed up invariably get crushed while the people in charge talk about procedure and decorum.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I'd like to get some minutes of that drivers meeting. I'm pretty confident Super Seb the Königen von Bien was in the right and actually the FIA are criminals on the scale of Sepp Blatter

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/MotoMel89/status/1545900154343100421?s=20&t=3MY83tY4_fg2jS5JYhFeEQ

Sadly I don't think this is an isolated case around the world.

Also, McLaren really didn't want to let Are Dan past Lando to have a crack at moving up the grid, even with the suggestion of giving the position back if he couldn't.

Has McLaren made copies of Ferrari's strategies this year?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Alaois posted:

didn't they try to do shootout qualifying in like, 2015 and they scrapped it less than halfway through the season because it sucked and everyone hated it

Before I watched but I could believe it, it feels like the type of thing that sounds cool but actually blows.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

quote:

In the wake of Vettel's summons, Mercedes driver and GPDA director George Russell discussed the need for greater consistency and accountability for stewards' decisions from race control moving forward, as well as calling for F1 to stick to a single race director.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vettel-fined-25000-for-leaving-f1-drivers-meeting-early/10335773/

Somewhere in the mountains, an unshaven Michael Masi pauses while chopping firewood, then cocks his head. He’s sure of it now: helicopters are drawing near.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Whooo MAX :toot: MAX :toot: MAX :toot:

I think they should reduce the number of laps in the sprint, it seemed a little too long, where the only real thing that happened in like the last 10 laps was Hamilton passing Mick, near the very end

DrunkPanda fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 10, 2022

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Remove pit lane speed limit for qualy. Duh.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

5 - 10 lap sprint

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
What if they did 24 one-lap sprints instead of one 24-lap sprint?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Before I watched but I could believe it, it feels like the type of thing that sounds cool but actually blows.

I was off by a year, it was 2016 and it was literally dropped after 2 races because it was so bad

quote:

The new elimination-style format:

- Q1
16 minutes
After 7 minutes, slowest driver eliminated
Slowest driver eliminated every 1 minute 30 seconds thereafter until the chequered flag
7 drivers eliminated, 15 progress to Q2

- Q2
15 minutes
After 6 minutes, slowest driver eliminated
Slowest driver eliminated every 1 minute 30 seconds thereafter until the chequered flag
7 drivers eliminated, 8 progress to Q3

- Q3
14 minutes
After 5 minutes, slowest driver eliminated
2 drivers left in final 1 minute 30 seconds
The final elimination in each session occurs at the chequered flag – not when time is up.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What's the unsavoury element in the crowd at the Austrian Grand Prix? Is it just Verstappen fans?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I dunno, but that thread was horrific

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What's the unsavoury element in the crowd at the Austrian Grand Prix? Is it just Verstappen fans?

The dutch should stay in their swamp imo.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
If I saw a bunch of drunk Dutch Max fans in the middle of the woods I'd be running.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Nowher posted:

If I saw a bunch of drunk Dutch Max fans in the middle of the woods I'd be running.

Calling them drunk Dutch is redundant

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Rapey Dutch fans then.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Custard Undies posted:

https://twitter.com/MotoMel89/status/1545900154343100421?s=20&t=3MY83tY4_fg2jS5JYhFeEQ

Sadly I don't think this is an isolated case around the world.

Also, McLaren really didn't want to let Are Dan past Lando to have a crack at moving up the grid, even with the suggestion of giving the position back if he couldn't.

Has McLaren made copies of Ferrari's strategies this year?

You're saying F1 fans who support max are also trash people :monocle:

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
It's raining buckets at the F3 feature race. Let's hope it keeps up into the Grand Prix

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Alaois posted:

I was off by a year, it was 2016 and it was literally dropped after 2 races because it was so bad

I remember the hybrid qualy. It makes the Sprints look revolutionary by comparison. Leigh Diffey had to apologize to the viewers over how stupid it was, and this was before Drive to Survive.

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

marshalljim posted:

Holding up Old Man Hamilton in the Silver Porpoisemobile does not change the fact that Mick is almost completely devoid of talent, and neither will anything else.

Sounds like McLaren material

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I know it might sound mean and controversial but the only Schumacher with a modicum of talent is currently a vegetable, the rest just rode his coat tail to get their spots. Neither Ralf nor Mick would have gone nowhere without their surnames.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Logan Sargeant driving like a wild man in F2 right now.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

With the time penalties against the top drivers, I think Logan gets on the podium even though he finished 4th.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

So who replaces Lewis at Mercedes when he either retires or goes to another team?

Do they get a Bottas style driver that is the number 2 to George?

I honestly cannot think of any of the drivers currently on the grid that would fit, that aren't already locked into long term contracts. Maybe Gasly?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Dutch F1 fans are the English football fans it would seem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Custard Undies posted:

So who replaces Lewis at Mercedes when he either retires or goes to another team?

Do they get a Bottas style driver that is the number 2 to George?

I honestly cannot think of any of the drivers currently on the grid that would fit, that aren't already locked into long term contracts. Maybe Gasly?

Depends when it is, the right man might not be in F1 yet.

I think they were kinda hoping it was going to be Mick. Gasly is the obvious Perez/Rosberg/Bottas/Barrichello/Massa hire I agree. I don't think there's anyone with the possible exception of MAYBE Norris who is in F1, likely to want to join and could challenge Russell. But yeah, long term McLaren.