Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Ibram Gaunt posted:

No idea how MiA got normie enough to get nintendo shilling a game of it, on the switch, in english, on a direct, or the movies being in US theaters but here we are.

Eh, same reason Demon Slayer*, a by-the-book shonen with the most annoying character ever invented, became a global phenomenon: it's what a strong animated adaptation can do for an IP.

*I am actually being unfair to Demon Slayer. Unlike most long-running shonen titles, it knew when to end. That counts for a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbf it seems like it mostly ended because it was underperforming and then the final arc got dragged out because the anime blew up

though jujutsu kaisen is also saying its gonna end relatively soon, and even if chainsaw man's second half is as long as its first its still 'only' gonna be 200 chapters or so. i feel like the era of insanely long shonen is kinda over. even my hero academia, if it ends within the next year or so, would be half the length of naruto or bleach.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
The ending of Demon Slayer felt a little rushed for me. I think you can do full arc on the top 3 Upper Moon Demons before the finale. Instead, it all got resolved in the finale.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

pretty sure it ended because something happened in the author's life because they posted they were retiring from manga immediately upon the finish, so the question is, did it really?

Endorph posted:

though jujutsu kaisen is also saying its gonna end relatively soon,

no!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lurking Haro posted:

Somebody I knew had to buy bottles with k-on bottle cap figures for their friends at a convience store.
cease

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

verbal enema posted:

I should watch BAOH again

He has a laser cannon. That's all I remember. Or when he shoots needles out of his hair.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Patware posted:

pretty sure it ended because something happened in the author's life because they posted they were retiring from manga immediately upon the finish, so the question is, did it really?
the authors talked about wanting to do a sci-fi romance manga or something next so to me that kinda adds fuel to my theory of them being jerked around, and now that the manga's insanely successful theyre more motivated than they were when shonen jump editorial was pushing them one way than the other. thats just reading tea leaves though, but the way they've talked in interviews definitely doesnt suggest theyre permanently retired.

the author said it was gonna end within the next two years back in 2021, though Manga Ending Announcements always shift around a ton. still it'll probably be over by 2024 or so at the latest.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Endorph posted:

the authors talked about wanting to do a sci-fi romance manga or something next so to me that kinda adds fuel to my theory of them being jerked around, and now that the manga's insanely successful theyre more motivated than they were when shonen jump editorial was pushing them one way than the other. thats just reading tea leaves though, but the way they've talked in interviews definitely doesnt suggest theyre permanently retired.

honestly i'll poo poo on demon slayer a lot but i'd also still check out anything gotouge puts out next because there was a lot of solid stuff, i think they're just not at all suited to doing a shounen battle manga

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Namtab posted:

How about those animes, guys. Big fan of k-on personally

oh hey the star appeared

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
i think that yeah its just kinda a natural ebb away from your one piece et al. theres probably a lot of minor reasons for it that all add up

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Demon Slayer wasn't my thing at all but I'll always respect a shounen that knows when to end instead of dragging on forever just to sell more magazines.

Neverending stories is what mostly killed American comics.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

i think that yeah its just kinda a natural ebb away from your one piece et al. theres probably a lot of minor reasons for it that all add up
the manga scene is changing a lot honestly, considering stuff like jump+ and how many manga on that service are biweekly (and how with an online app you dont have to murder random manga 13 chapters in because of page limit constraints - they can stuff sometimes but not nearly as aggressively). combine that with jump+ having a more fast and loose structure in general and i kinda think in general physical jump is going to be, not quite supplementary, but more of a 'reliable' option than something thats at the forefront of the medium.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i continue to ask, when will jump editorial stop loving up and connect usazaki shiro with a new manga project (simulpubbed)

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i can't think of a lot of recent jump manga (at least that i noticed) that got axed and didn't kinda deserve it

probably the one that might've gotten somewhere given more time was Guardian of the Witch but it was kinda... i don't know. it didn't have It.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean the issue is plenty of manga start pretty bad or rote but get very good later on. im not saying all of them would but if theres issues 13 chapters is not nearly enough time to even attempt to correct them

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

Endorph posted:

the manga scene is changing a lot honestly, considering stuff like jump+ and how many manga on that service are biweekly (and how with an online app you dont have to murder random manga 13 chapters in because of page limit constraints - they can stuff sometimes but not nearly as aggressively). combine that with jump+ having a more fast and loose structure in general and i kinda think in general physical jump is going to be, not quite supplementary, but more of a 'reliable' option than something thats at the forefront of the medium.

oh yeah jump+ prob helps a lot. i have to wonder if theres also maybe some internal wariness about signing a guy up to be your mangaka for multiple decades that didnt exist in the 90s. like yeah sometimes you get oda but other times you get people who have these ruinous health problems and it prob leaves a bad taste in any publishers mouth no matter how successful the product is. easier to have people do something for you for a couple years at a time and if theyre still fine you can just publish the next thing they do.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Arc Hammer posted:

He has a laser cannon. That's all I remember. Or when he shoots needles out of his hair.

I remember it being some 40 odd minutes so not too much of an investment

And it's on YouTube for free!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

oh yeah jump+ prob helps a lot. i have to wonder if theres also maybe some internal wariness about signing a guy up to be your mangaka for multiple decades that didnt exist in the 90s. like yeah sometimes you get oda but other times you get people who have these ruinous health problems and it prob leaves a bad taste in any publishers mouth no matter how successful the product is. easier to have people do something for you for a couple years at a time and if theyre still fine you can just publish the next thing they do.

honestly though looser schedules (like jump+ allows for since again it doesnt have a mandated amount of space to fill) also helps with the health issue problem.

but theyre also seeing a lot of success with stuff like fujimoto's oneshots. even just as a matter of audience interest i think tastes have somewhat shifted away from Forever Manga. one piece sells insanely well but its sales arent really growing, the early volumes arent really moving much bulk relative to other big jump manga. one piece isnt getting new fans at this juncture. which makes sense but does kind of paint a picture of a world where its hard to get people to sign up for something when they know theyd have to read 1000 chapters to catch up.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
its all for the best, one piece got pretty bad at fishman island and i cant even find out if that ever got fixed because of how much id have to read.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the answer is some of the arcs were good and some of them were bad but all of them were insanely long to the point it kinda ruined the series sense of adventure

like wano has some good parts but being in fantasy japan for five years kinda kills the momentum of the pirate adventure. its not a bad series its just different from what one piece was sold as initially. stuff that runs that long is gonna shift and change as it goes but oda isnt especially good at long political dramas or layered chains of alliances, imo. he's good at adventure and emotional catharsis, and the arcs in post-timeskip one piece are so long and overwrought that often enough things get set up and then get lackluster payoff.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

one piece has literally outprinted the bible, its easily accessable without buying it, there are full collections in north american libraries i am sure that same access to tankobons printed literally 20 years ago exists elsewhere. its also the kind of story that looks long but once youve read it you realize its honestly too short, there are lots of little things that get glossed over for the sake of pacing that could easily be expanded even further on, its just that rich of a story.

the answer is that it was explosively popular, as were previous long running battle manga and gag manga. but then newer ones came out that were less so, and some of the shorter series started getting more and more buzz. publishers realized they could get more eyes and retention by letting churn happen. who needs a quality consistent product when you have throw spaghetti at the wall and axe it if it sucks too bad after a year, or let it run for 3-5 if it catches on before mandating an end and putting the space back to fresh use. if another once in a generation talent like oda comes along and their 5-10 year plan remains popular yet fresh, then they may still get that space but there will never be another "big 3" situation like there was in 2005. or even 2010 with toriko instead of bleach.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Bird cage....

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

the last chapter i ever read is the one where usopp knocks out sugar by screaming from the habanero spice or whatever. i shoudl get back into it some day... ...

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i'll always read one piece because i read it to see truly stupid poo poo happen like this

i'll spoil it just in case, it's one of queen's fun tricks

as long as it keeps delivering that i'm still there baby, ain't nobody as fully stupid as oda

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i dunno anything about one piece but i saw this earlier and loled

https://twitter.com/AliasArtworks/status/1543390647667027968

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

realistically i think the big 3 was never gonna be replicated even if there was still more long running shonen. like if yaiba was still going and i dont think one piece, mha, yaiba would have the same kind of air around it, they're all in very different places. bleach, naruto, and one piece were all relatively similar manga that started at about the same time and were all influenced by similar things. bleach took more from kenshin and yu yu hakusho than dbz but still.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Booky posted:

i dunno anything about one piece but i saw this earlier and loled

https://twitter.com/AliasArtworks/status/1543390647667027968

the important thing is that this is mario as a character whose execution by decapitation is the inciting point for the entire worldstate of the series

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Patware posted:

i'll always read one piece because i read it to see truly stupid poo poo happen like this

i'll spoil it just in case, it's one of queen's fun tricks

as long as it keeps delivering that i'm still there baby, ain't nobody as fully stupid as oda

what's even happening in this image, I can't parse the action at all

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

hes shooting out his head and tail

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Patware posted:

the important thing is that this is mario as a character whose execution by decapitation is the inciting point for the entire worldstate of the series

lmao yeah hes like the guy who hid the titular "one piece" right? the only things i know about OP besides that are that: theres magic fruits that give u powers, there was a shortlived 4kids dub with a pirate rap, a stretchy guys the main char, the mangaka has been drawing ladies with bigger boobs as it goes on, and that the recent chapters have a confirmed trans guy (and lady?)

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

that is a person with the ability to transform into a brachiosaur. he is launching his spinal cord out of his body at high velocity at a foe, because that is what brachiosaurs can do in one piece. why? well, who says they cant, theyre dinosaurs. ive never seen one and neither have you

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

hes shooting out his head and tail

I was confused because the base of the neck was tapered off in the exact same way as the tail in the first panel, and the tail was invisible. So I thought the tail was the thing on the right and the head just vanished.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

realistically i think the big 3 was never gonna be replicated even if there was still more long running shonen. like if yaiba was still going and i dont think one piece, mha, yaiba would have the same kind of air around it, they're all in very different places. bleach, naruto, and one piece were all relatively similar manga that started at about the same time and were all influenced by similar things. bleach took more from kenshin and yu yu hakusho than dbz but still.

Anime itself is in the same boat really. Longer series in general are just becoming rarer.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

one piece having hard to parse action, couldn't be

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I have decided that I will only experience One Piece through the Pirate Warriors games. Just gotta wait several years for OPPW5, and then I can catch up.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The Pirate Warriors games are the main way I've experienced it too. Fell off the show early on and the manga just doesn't appeal.

But the PW games are a lot of fun.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Anime itself is in the same boat really. Longer series in general are just becoming rarer.
to be fair in anime's case its more a production time/budget thing. anime studios and producers would rather put out three dozen 12-episode shows a season and see if one takes off rather than invest in something longterm. especially with the animator braindrain going on, tying up tons of people on a single project longterm is a hard sell unless you're sure it'll be a hit. like, about a fifth of the entire japanese animation industry was somehow involved on dragon ball super, even if it was just for one episode.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I like carrot

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

Endorph posted:

to be fair in anime's case its more a production time/budget thing. anime studios and producers would rather put out three dozen 12-episode shows a season and see if one takes off rather than invest in something longterm. especially with the animator braindrain going on, tying up tons of people on a single project longterm is a hard sell unless you're sure it'll be a hit. like, about a fifth of the entire japanese animation industry was somehow involved on dragon ball super, even if it was just for one episode.

and yet the best episode is still the one where they fight arale. and the second best one was the baseball one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

i cannot read shonen manga, all of their fight scenes look like chaos nightmares. any series buck this trend?