Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unfortunately that sort of tactic does not at all necessitate the actual existence of the thing they are railing against. You simply claim that the thing exists, somewhere else, but it's definitely real and definitely coming for all the things you hold dear, and only we can protect you from it. All it requires is a sufficient mass of people who are disconnected from the reality of the thing being described and posessed of the right prejudices to want to believe it is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Scientastic posted:

I don’t think we’re woke enough in the UK for anti-woke culture war politics to work

Our level of wokeness is not really relevant. Anti-woke culture war politics has been working great for tories since long before even Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep was a thing.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I don’t think we’re woke enough in the UK for anti-woke culture war politics to work

It only needs to work with a majority of Tory MPs and members, who are, by and large, frothing gammon loons.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

1) lol Nadine rules and 2) please let Williamson get to at least the second round of candidates so he can do a campaign video

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The objective as always is to convince the old fart living in a village in the home counties that bradford which they have not been to in thirty years is actually a walled enclave of shakira law and everyone who isn't wearing a turban and carrying an ak47 is immediately killed by a big man with a curvy sword who will abduct their children and turn them gay with infinite plasma tvs in a welfare mansion that is funded by tearing down a thousand statues of winston churchill every minute because of the last labour government, who are made out of your grand children who have never had a job and spend all their money on profligate avocado iphones.

The common factor is that this all involves people and places you have no real concept of, but it is all an attack on the imaginary britain in your head made out of poppies and vera lynn songs which you are very attached to, and it is very distressing that the other imaginary britain is coming to destroy it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 9, 2022

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Scientastic posted:

Eh, it’s just an extension of the ‘PC gone mad’ level of political engagement that has dominated the tabloid press for decades already

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
since jordan peterson is canadian and this a subject of the crown i’m waiting to see who he endorses

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

https://twitter.com/GrahamJones_MP/status/1545876186810798080?t=OES8RVxCVlHTYKVVnRMjnA&s=19

Roughly a 100% chance that my only option in the next GE will be voting for this dickhead again :sigh:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

OwlFancier posted:

imaginary britain

poo poo, I did it again. I assumed that people soberly looked at facts and objective reality when making decisions, I need to stop making that mistake

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Please do not vote for Jeremy hunt, or any tory

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Why do they all think anyone gives a poo poo about corporation tax

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Spirited and witty with firm opinions sounds like Westminster code for something, but I don't have enough hitpoints left to take the psychic damage that would result from speculating.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Only Kindness posted:

Spirited and witty with firm opinions sounds like Westminster code for something, but I don't have enough hitpoints left to take the psychic damage that would result from speculating.

"Loud sarcastic arsehole who doesn't take no for an answer"?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

peanut- posted:

Corporate donors love it

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nation of shopkeepers too venal and shortsighted to realize that paying 30% tax on an honest profit is better than paying nothing on a loss while the economy spirals.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Only Kindness posted:

it’s a bj reference

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
As far as I can tell all of the current contenders have pledged lower taxes. So far it seems they are prioritising the Tory heartlands over the (former) Red Wall. Oh and austerity 2.0 is definitely coming.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

peanut- posted:

The NHS will be a corporation roughly 20 minutes after he gets in, so he'll be delivering on that promise of 'saving' the NHS money.

Don't forget he's not appealing to normal people, he's appealing to people rich and venal enough to register as Tory party members / donors.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jul 10, 2022

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

peanut- posted:

Most Tory MPs are either current beneficiaries of cuts or plan to be in the future. Same with Tory members. Those are the only constituencies that matter in this contest. Any successful candidate has got to credibly promise to
1)gently caress the poor, more money for us
2)gently caress immigrants/trans people/anyone to the left of Pinochet
3)gently caress the EU

Hunt specifically has no chance because he only cares about point 1)

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

Corporate donors love it

If anything about this process can be called good it’s that corporations have very little input.

It just seems like such a pointless thing to campaign on. Work out however much money the cut will cost the treasury and say you’ll take the same amount off national insurance or fuel duty instead.

Actually as I’m typing this I realise that the answer is because no one cares if you’re lying about cutting corporation tax and never do it, whereas lying about cutting NI would have massive blowback.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

peanut- posted:

If anything about this process can be called good it’s that corporations have very little input.

It just seems like such a pointless thing to campaign on. Work out however much money the cut will cost the treasury and say you’ll take the same amount off national insurance or fuel duty instead.

Actually as I’m typing this I realise that the answer is because no one cares if you’re lying about cutting corporation tax and never do it, whereas lying about cutting NI would have massive blowback.

It's worth remembering that the first stage of campaigning is to win the support of other Tory MPs, who do all love corporation tax cuts.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jel Shaker posted:

it’s a bj reference

A Boris Johnson reference?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

peanut- posted:

People who own newspapers and TV channels really hate paying tax

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Grunt Shops apparently the only candidate not going full culture wars.

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1546045999327608834?t=HWM9G81uRPEVu6jU-N2nKg&s=19

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/jul/10/growing-culture-of-extremism-among-uk-and-european-police-forces-report-warns

Not surprised to see thin blue line poo poo turning up here. Always assumed ageing tory voter nostalgia for bobbies on the beat slightly outweighing "the police should be able to shoot suspicious foreigns" was the only thing stopping the police here getting all the guns they periodically claim they need

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Mourdant is also going to face the issue of her not necessarily wanting to put trans people in camps.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Pedantry over spelling and grammar is normally a lovely thing to do to people, unless that person happens to be the Education Minister of course. I'm glad someone did this

https://twitter.com/Redpeter99/status/1546007176279457792/

e: comedy tweet https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1546063089614966785

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 10, 2022

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Yass what a day, days like this make me not regret moving to a crumbling house in a dead seaside town.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/grumpyfactcheck/status/1546060152884846593

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

To be fair, as someone who has to do privacy policies on websites from time to time, they are a total pain in the backside so cribbing is common.
I use a service that produces a templated privacy policy and I don't doubt they do the same.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The Alternative Proteins Association sounds like some sort of anti-trans league that gets together to talk about gametes

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The Alternative Proteins Association sounds like some sort of anti-trans league that gets together to talk about gametes

I assumed it was a pro-cannibalism think tank

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I was more thinking along the lines of BSE / prions.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Excited to see Eat Out to Help Out campaign return.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Kegluneq posted:

https://twitter.com/GrahamJones_MP/status/1545876186810798080?t=OES8RVxCVlHTYKVVnRMjnA&s=19

Roughly a 100% chance that my only option in the next GE will be voting for this dickhead again :sigh:

You could always vote for Jeremy oval office and add your own box below

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

What is Farage up to in the current year?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Namtab posted:

Please do not vote for Jeremy hunt, or any tory
Pretty sure they were talking about having to vote for Graham Jones rather than Jeremy Hunt.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

HOLY poo poo!

https://twitter.com/bmay/status/1546082694794285057

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What is Farage up to in the current year?

Same as he does every year, armchair captain hindsight who knew everything was going to happen and he would have done it better, but on GBNews instead of on twitter.
Its quite hilarious, he has this fake pub set up where he meets gammons and pretends everything is going well, lying out his arse all the while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Chinese Gordon posted:

Mourdant is also going to face the issue of her not necessarily wanting to put trans people in camps.

its ok she's made a twitter thread showing she is happy to pander to those who do

https://twitter.com/PennyMordaunt/status/1545908402475438080

looking up mourduant on twitter is fun because it is half trans people saying "yes she said trans women are women once but she still hates trans people, don't trust her" and half terfs saying "yes she hates trans people but she said trans women are women once, don't trust her"