Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

new pokemon snap Owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Xaiter posted:

Majima in the batting cages was frustrating as hell. Dude. Just. Would. Not. Die.

Oh you were trying to kill him, there's your problem.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh you were trying to kill him, there's your problem.

On my first attempt, I had only done a few sidequests and Majima stuff to the chapter max. A full beast combo was only like 5% of one of his health bars and he had 3.

Like holy poo poo, he really was holding back in those Majima Everywhere battles where I could just stunlock him to death in 5-6 combos.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

new pokemon snap is bad. shouldve been a 6 hour game at most. too much content and they had the gall to add more post release. downvoted

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Source your quotes

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

new pokemon snap is bad. shouldve been a 6 hour game at most. too much content and they had the gall to add more post release. downvoted

its true, new pokemon snap is too good to play. warn your friends about it

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Fond memories of eating so much crab that my Strength rocketed into the stratosphere. In the game also.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

verbal enema posted:

i remember wasting my weekly N64 on Pokemon Snap and just being like well gently caress pokemon forever then

what a dogshit game oh i was pissed i'd have rather hosed up and rented Hybrid Heaven again

😬

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Playing Romancing SaGa 2, decide to fight a boss before going over to the mines

"118 years later" wait what no I wasn't ready yet!!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Just spent like 20 minutes in a Dungeons and Diagrams puzzle deciding it couldn't possibly be done. Literally impossible. So I just started making random paths in the quadrant I couldn't fit and solved it on accident.

One of the chests was a mimic, and therefore needed a dead end and not a room

Listen fucko...

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
New free Hitm3n map in a few weeks

https://twitter.com/Hitman/status/1545426131406540800?s=20&t=z3QNYzbWFwLH96yKRpMLHw

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I have not played FF6 since like 2008.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhCpcmTon54

But I found fun again.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why the hell did we ever put Terada in charge of anything, what a loving clown show

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Who

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the fifth chairman.

Ending of Majima Saga was great, eyes wet.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hakuna Terada

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I finished AI2. Uchikoshi did it again.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
he did

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

trying to decide between the gotg game or the new life is strange game, but can't get both

i know people in this thread have played both, which do you think would be worth playing sooner :v:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF14:

I met a couple of twink twins and it turns out they're important and Alphonse is giving me major sketch vibes, I do not trust!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mix. posted:

trying to decide between the gotg game or the new life is strange game, but can't get both

i know people in this thread have played both, which do you think would be worth playing sooner :v:

Don’t want to be that guy, but they’re both on Game Pass, if that’s an option

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Rinkles posted:

Don’t want to be that guy, but they’re both on Game Pass, if that’s an option

.......... this is very true. i hadn't considered gamepass since i really haven't had any subscriptions besides XIV since covid started cos no job :v:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF14:

I'm trying to forge a peace treaty with the sylphs so I hooked them up with some sweet drugs and then we boogied all night but don't you know it Yda and Purplelimpy showed up and hosed the whole thing up. Godammit I can't take you two anywhere! :argh:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I managed to save relationships with the sylphs because Claxio ran away and got menaced by some big bully sylphs and I saved him and reunited him with his brother :3:

But oh noes the village elder has been kidnapped and the entire tribe may be in danger :ohdear:

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Ometeotl posted:

I finished AI2. Uchikoshi did it again.

he can't keep getting away with it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Something I appreciate about Doom Eternal:

Samur: Cross now through the plains of Urdak, to the luminarium wherein resides the soul of the one true God, and there you shall restore him unto his glory, bringing him unto the engine of Creation itself where since time immemorial my kind have waited to accomplish this blessed task. In dutiful worship to this cause, you will see as he brings an end to the troubles plaguing the world, and you will be as unto a tool for the Divine, doing his good work in recompense for your failure to give yourself over in humble obeisance unto his name.
Doomguy: Imma kill God so I can fistfight Satan :toughguy:

Something I do NOT appreciate:

Here's a new enemy type. They hit like a truck and are invincible except in very precise moments when you must use only one particular type of weapon at exactly the right moment and distance from them while also being bumrushed by 350 other enemies simultaneously.

This game is a land of contrasts.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 10, 2022

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Jerusalem posted:

Here's a new enemy type. They hit like a truck and are invincible except in very precise moments when you must use only one particular type of weapon at exactly the right moment and distance from them while also being bumrushed by 350 other enemies simultaneously.
Oh yeah, that would suck if they did something like that. Good thing they didn't though

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

This game is a land of contrasts.

the secret kill code is 5q6q

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I haven’t played Doom Eternal but those new momentum killing enemies are pretty infamous, god drat they must suck.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Marauders seem to stir up so much anger on people hating/defending them, ignoring the real crime: they turned doom into a goddamn rhythm game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They're funny now because they added tweety birds circling their heads when you stun them

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FF14:

Leih no you don't need to run away I believe in you :(

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

I haven’t played Doom Eternal but those new momentum killing enemies are pretty infamous, god drat they must suck.

marauders are basically a mechanics check to see if you read the "did you know quickswapping weapons negates reload time" tutorial popup, they're a complete joke with lockon rockets + SSG + frag grenade

spirits are only really annoying if you didn't do your encounter homework and either laser focused on the possessed to the detriment of leaving everything else alive, or if you didn't save your frost grenade for after the possessed is dead

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

my thesis re: doom eternal is that, much like dark souls 2, a significant amount of the friction behind it is a consequence of it being a franchised game with franchise expectations going into it that lead to disappointment from people who were anticipating a completely different game

eternal is such a mechanically complete game in a way i don't think i've ever seen another FPS hit, and it therefore expects you to engage with its combat loop and core mechanics to a significantly greater extent with each difficulty rung you go up, something which does not jive with people who wanted the kind of monster shooting gallery that past DOOM games, 2016 included, leaned more towards. i don't believe they're wrong to be disappointed in it being different, but i also think you have to be willing to meet eternal on its own terms, as its own game, to truly enjoy it, because treating it as "the sequel to doom 2016" will inevitably lead to frustration and disappointment because of how distinct it is in combat rhythm compared to its predecessor

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's incredibly intricate and designed with all sorts of game designer-y things like how every mechanic interacts with other mechanics and remains the only game that literally uses the term "gameplay loop" in the tutorial. i thought it was overdesigned and breaks down in incredibly unenjoyable ways when you venture outside the specified playstyle

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i thought it was overdesigned and breaks down in incredibly unenjoyable ways when you venture outside the specified playstyle

the same could be said of sekiro, which is almost universally regarded as a masterpiece, so i return to my previous thesis re: franchise expectations

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vermain posted:

the same could be said of sekiro, which is almost universally regarded as a masterpiece, so i return to my previous thesis re: franchise expectations

sekiro has one mechanic it needs you to engage with, and that's the parry. there are plenty of other tools and techniques to make things easier (apparently the speedrunning pro strat for bosses is to constantly fling ash into their faces), but as long as you hit block at the right time you can usually cruise through regardless

eternal forces you to be on all the time. the sekiro equivalent would be if every enemy required a specific ninja tool to effectively kill. it's exhausting, though not quite as exhausting as doom eternal's fans

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it's incredibly intricate and designed with all sorts of game designer-y things like how every mechanic interacts with other mechanics and remains the only game that literally uses the term "gameplay loop" in the tutorial. i thought it was overdesigned and breaks down in incredibly unenjoyable ways when you venture outside the specified playstyle
I think the tutorials in the game are the worst things about it honestly. The game designery "gameplay loop" rhetoric is out of place but there aren't many games where the systems don't break down when you refuse to play within their parameters. The over-tutorialization makes the game feel extremely insecure about its design, like it has to stand over your shoulder and explain each individual design decision, but it wasn't necessary, and instead of "if you're stuck, here are some techniques you can use to succeed" it presents it as "here are the techniques you will need to use to succeed".

Oxxidation posted:

eternal forces you to be on all the time. the sekiro equivalent would be if every enemy required a specific ninja tool to effectively kill.
I have no idea what this means. Every enemy can be killed by shooting at it until it dies. (Except the Marauder which you need to pretty straightforwardly parry)

Volte fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 10, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

sekiro has one mechanic it needs you to engage with, and that's the parry.

it's a tad reductive to call the process of learning intricate movesets with significant variations in swing delay and block timing "one mechanic"

eternal's gunplay is, by point of comparison, relatively simple - targets are varying combinations of large and slow, weapon spreads and AoE are big, and there's numerous tools like lockon rockets that simplify it further - and the loop mechanics like chainsaw, flame belch, and occasional weapon switching are what add complexity to it. i think the weapon switching bit especially gets overemphasized, because, barring a handful of special enemies like the marauder or DLC enemies like stone imps, you can take care of everything in the game with a combination of the SSG, rocket launcher, and ballista. even the dreaded cacodemons are easily sniped with non-sticky bombs once you get past the first two levels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I know this is going to sound stupid but gamepass is too many games. I don’t actually have that much time to play these days and I find a lot more enjoyment from like, getting into a game like elden ring and playing it for 3 months