Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
How do you make a tourniquet single use?! It's a strap of cloth and a conveniently shaped small rod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm guessing a ratchet mechanism that isn't designed to be undone, because the expectation is that it'll be cut off.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Nenonen posted:

I think hitting an immobile object like a tree would have killed them.

I would only have sympathy for the tree

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

B-Rock452 posted:

One use. If you really want practice you can buy a blue practice one and crank the windlass down to see how it really feels.

OK, cheers. I'm looking into taking a first aid course anyway and I assume they'll have practise ones there. It's been too long since I got first aid training in the army in 2003.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

DiHK posted:

This suggests that the passenger would have survived by the head being below the truck bed.

Jesus can you imagine?

That's still fatal. This guy was doing 68 in a 55 when autopilot slammed him under a truck.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

My drivers ed teacher used to be suuuper adamant about resisting the instinctive urge to brace yourself against the steering wheel via your arms if you ever find yourself in a situation where a crash is imminent, because modern cars protect you to the point where you actually risk unnecessary injury by locking out your arms.
This video does an excellent job at showing exactly why you shouldn't do so.

:nms:
https://i.imgur.com/i6GjwA1.png

Cars with manual steering have the additional bonus of possibly snapping your wrists if the wheels get turned in a crash. Open wheel drivers drivers are trained to let go of the steering wheel in a crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsDoRROPD_c

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

OK, cheers. I'm looking into taking a first aid course anyway and I assume they'll have practise ones there. It's been too long since I got first aid training in the army in 2003.

You can also check for a “stop the bleed” class in your local community. It was started by a trauma surgeon that treated a lot of the kids from newtown. The one I took was handing out tourniquets but that could have been because my work payed for all of them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Nenonen posted:

I feel like this one needs the "does anyone know how these things work? YOWS! *fart*" audio from schad thread.

https://i.imgur.com/bmkrAAf.mp4

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

wiegieman posted:

Why would you take your unique, expensive, completely untested hot rod out onto regular streets to test drive it? Why not, like, any track?

I know the answer to this and similar questions is "more money than sense" but I still feel the need to ask it.

the video is pretty funny too. he says it cost him "23 years, $200,000, and 2 wives building this car"

dudes will literally build a death trap and tank their relationships instead of going to therapy

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
These are the people you share the road with.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ratchet shifters are not for the road. I hope that moron is sued into homelessness.

E: when did this happen? If there hasn't been a settlement yet, the insurance for the person he hit needs to see and read everything that moron posted. I'm sure he's got a facebook full of updates and "this poo poo ain't right" posts they would spend hours digging through just to sink him even further.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 10, 2022

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The Wurst Poster posted:

I passed two trailers like these on the interstate a few days ago hauling concrete beams.

There was someone in the rear compartment for both of them. I don't know if they lock the steering or the rear driver has to steer full time but it must be an interesting ride.

Cosmo's got the caboose!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I spent six months repairing all of the mechanical poo poo that was screwed up on the ‘65 Econoline pickup that I bought last July. My pickup is built on a similar platform to that Mercury. I rebuilt the brakes and the throttle linkage.

I have had throttle springs fail and result in wide-open throttle (WOT, ’74 Dodge Dart) and had total failure of the hydraulic brakes on the freeway (‘69 Olds Cutlass). First thing you learn by instinct is to kill the engine; slam the clutch pedal; third (unless auto trans) is to then work the e-brake.

The only thing I will give the driver a pass on is his inability to avoid traffic when the decision tree fell on him all at once - rear-ending a larger modern vehicle was probably the best of a whole string of bad options, all of which were due to the builder being an absolute moron. Assuming he did all the work himself- that rig should never have left the garage without fully tested & functional brakes.

If he just couldn’t wait: crawl it or trailer it to an open lot to test it. Never in traffic.

Fortunately, they didn’t rear ended a tractor-trailer.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 10, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

:golfclap: It really improves all videos!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Oh man, I know it's a reflex but you really want to scream at that dude in the passenger seat: put your arms up and protect your head.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i have been T-boned twice at ~40mph by red light blowers and rear ended going ~15mph by somebody 55mph on a freeway. total wrecks but zero injuries.

my palms sweat when i drive now and the freeway gives me panic attacks lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

20 Blunts posted:

i have been T-boned twice at ~40mph by red light blowers and rear ended going ~15mph by somebody 55mph on a freeway. total wrecks but zero injuries.

I t-boned someone who ran a red light, and now whenever I approach an intersection and someone is inching forward on a side street, I can't help but slow down.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I got T-boned on my scooter in a crosswalk Friday by a guy who ran a stop sign looking the other way. I’m still on bed rest, barely able to walk with a cane, with one arm mostly useless due to a shoulder injury.

DonJNavarro
Aug 16, 2000
I am so smart!....S-M-R-T!

:dukedog:

PostNouveau posted:

Oh man, I know it's a reflex but you really want to scream at that dude in the passenger seat: put your arms up and protect your head.

if you go frame by frame, the dude driving has his elbows completely hyper extended/break in the wrong direction because he straightened and flexed them.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

chitoryu12 posted:

I got T-boned on my scooter in a crosswalk Friday by a guy who ran a stop sign looking the other way. I’m still on bed rest, barely able to walk with a cane, with one arm mostly useless due to a shoulder injury.

Shiiit! Glad you made it fairly lightly, hopefully the other person will not be driving for a long while.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DonJNavarro posted:

if you go frame by frame, the dude driving has his elbows completely hyper extended/break in the wrong direction because he straightened and flexed them.

Welp, looks like I'm not going frame by frame then

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

PostNouveau posted:

I t-boned someone who ran a red light, and now whenever I approach an intersection and someone is inching forward on a side street, I can't help but slow down.

:same:

I've had a number of close calls on either side since the start of the pandemic. People just... started running red lights in broad daylight in residential neighborhoods. There was a stretch when I saw this happen every single day.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HolHorsejob posted:

I've had a number of close calls on either side since the start of the pandemic. People just... started running red lights in broad daylight in residential neighborhoods. There was a stretch when I saw this happen every single day.

Yeah, the guy who hit me admitted he never really looks both ways. He just looked to the left for oncoming traffic and rolled through the crosswalk. I went head over heels, shoes flying. I still have blood on my sheets.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

HolHorsejob posted:

Where I live if you aren't delaying your green-light=go response you're going to get hosed. Red light running is amazingly rampant now.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

20 Blunts posted:

A while back I got run over as a pedestrian crossing with a green light by a driver who wasn't paying attention as they were making a turn. Fortunately it was low speed enough that I got away with some contusions and a mild concussion. I still get reflex fear sweat any time I see a car coming in a little too quick when I'm crossing.

Also, the cops who took the report probably shouldn't have just let me walk home the remaining two kilometers on a badly bruised hip. At the time I barely even noticed it, but I was pretty much immobile the morning after. Adrenaline is a hell of a drug. :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's wild, I thought it was just me. There are a couple traffic lights that I've specifically noticed blatant red light runners at in the last two years, especially one going to the highway leading out of town. Oddly enough, it's usually people escaping town rather than coming in, not that it makes any real difference accident-wise.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's wild, I thought it was just me.\

Nah not just you.

The average American is dumb as gently caress, and 50% of people are dumber than that.

And then COVID hit and made everyone even dumber.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Got an actual OSHA-adjacent question:

Are there any respirators that work with facial hair/beards? My work is increasing use of them (done studies suggesting particulate count for certain tasks is high enough to require them) and I'd rather not keep clean shaven :effort:. I don't have a huge beard, but enough to keep the seal from doing its thing.

Work is willing to buy them if we can find something that'll work.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Spalec posted:

Are there any respirators that work with facial hair/beards? My work is increasing use of them (done studies suggesting particulate count for certain tasks is high enough to require them) and I'd rather not keep clean shaven :effort:. I don't have a huge beard, but enough to keep the seal from doing its thing.

There is a technique developed by Sikhs to get a seal on PPE with a beard:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7532752/

(photos of how to do it on that page)

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Spalec posted:

PAPR hoods work fine with facial hair, if your employer is springing for them.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Just shave your drat face hairs

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

PostNouveau posted:

There is a technique developed by Sikhs to get a seal on PPE with a beard:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7532752/

(photos of how to do it on that page)
It's this and PAPRs. Depending how bureaucratic your safety organization is they may balk at this being "unproven policy" even though passing fit test is the main thing here. They will definitely balk at the upkeep cost of PAPRs, and also hoods suck to use. Air filtering hoods (gas mask style or bag over your head) are usually only approved for emergency/temporary use.

PAPRs also suck to use compared to a half face so workers will usually self choose to shave eventually if you're not religiously inclined.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, the guy who hit me admitted he never really looks both ways. He just looked to the left for oncoming traffic and rolled through the crosswalk. I went head over heels, shoes flying. I still have blood on my sheets.

This is why you ride in the direction of traffic.
On the sidewalk against traffic accounts for over 60% of bike/car collisions. On the sidewalk in the direction of traffic is only like 25%. Drivers don't stop at the stop bar if they even bother to stop, and most don't look both ways.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

20 Blunts posted:

Back when we were younger, my brother had just got his license and took his first car out for his first drive to the local Biltema car supply store. On his way back, some rear end in a top hat in a BMW just blazed through a stop sign and T-boned him, causing his car to basically cartwheel into a ditch and end up looking like a twisted pretzel.

Miraculously my brother was OK.

When I was on my way to my driving exam, I stopped at a crosswalk someone had parked too close to (Finnish law says you have to stop if a car is parked within a certain distance of a pedestrian crossing because you can't see pedestrians who are about to cross the road) and some moron who had been fiddling with his radio rear-ended us.

I think the universe is sending us signals about not driving.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

wiegieman posted:

Why would you take your unique, expensive, completely untested hot rod out onto regular streets to test drive it? Why not, like, any track?

I know the answer to this and similar questions is "more money than sense" but I still feel the need to ask it.

My favorite thing about this video is the front-facing camera has most of the road obscured by the size of the blower sticking out of the hood. So no brakes, a stuck throttle, poor visibility, and... no seat belts? All for a car that should not exist. Grape job, fella.

Whatever their injuries and suffering were from this accident, it wasn't enough because they made an 11-minute video about the crash and barely mention the people in the minivan they totaled.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MisterOblivious posted:

This is why you ride in the direction of traffic.
On the sidewalk against traffic accounts for over 60% of bike/car collisions. On the sidewalk in the direction of traffic is only like 25%. Drivers don't stop at the stop bar if they even bother to stop, and most don't look both ways.

There’s not always sidewalks on both sides of the road and drivers here get very aggressive about cyclists or electric scooters trying to ride on the edge where there’s no bike lane.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

When I was walking everywhere and taking the bus I learned to look both ways before crossing a one way street. Luckily I was almost run over only once.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

TotalLossBrain posted:

These are the people you share the road with.

Not anymore.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

dialhforhero posted:

Where I live if you aren't delaying your green-light=go response you're going to get hosed. Red light running is amazingly rampant now.

Same here. My sister died after being t-boned by a red light runner in 2001, and 11 years later I inadvertently moved to basically the same neighborhood where she died. I get honked at for double checking at green lights and I don’t give a gently caress. Especially since it’s gotten worse/wilder since COVID.

A few weeks after she died, my bestie and I were stopped at a red light, and we heard a weird noise down the road that made me hesitate after the light turned green. A few seconds later, a pickup doing twice the limit with its lights off shot through, rear ended someone else, and crashed into the corner of a hotel.

I guess the lesson here is to dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed any time you need to go get groceries or whatever.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Totally normal and desirable way for a society to work. I absolutely love it and it doesn't make me shake with fury every day I have to live in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

My best friend's partner escaped death a while back. She (with their newborn in the backseat) stopped for a traffic jam but some 20 year old rear end in a top hat behind her in an SUV was preoccupied with his phone. Only 32 seconds between his last text and the 911 calls. She saw him coming and he didn't slow down so in a panic she drove her car into the shoulder just barely in time. Motherfucker missed her by inches but slammed full speed into the car in front of her with a family inside. The dad didn't make it, leaving behind a mom and toddler, who were luckily relatively unscathed. :smith:

loving rear end in a top hat was only sentenced to 8 months prison time.