Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
how does it work every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The same primitive reflex that leads fish to rushing at every blade of grass you throw in a pond?

I don't know maybe that's weird and I was the only one who did that as a kid.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

tbh if someone unironically posted about how they want to gently caress dsp i'd just nod while slowly backing away from the thread, so

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Dawgstar posted:

The one that sticks with me is Questionable Content which continues on like, as has been said by those more clever than I, a hipster Garfield. You read it everyday, maybe giving a vaguely amused "Hmph," then continuing on without it taking up residence in your brain until you remember to read it again.

I read qc for years, hoping something interesting would happen, but quit when he just kept introducing new characters with no real plots. I'd check in every once in a while and every storyline was just about the characters turning social molehills into mountains, yelling at each other for the dumbest reasons. It's funny that people praise the comic for showing emotional and psychological issues when his characters come off as massive narcissists.

I just checked the comic while posting this and the current plot is a multi week epic where two of the characters are obsessing over their social anxiety about hanging out for the first time.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

The 7th Guest posted:

Like webcomics as an era are a specifically millennial thing and the Gen Z idea of an online comic is completely different. The way to make a living has changed, cons have changed, delivery formats have changed, and how fandoms are built is entirely unlike how it was in the 2000s. There probably are zoomers that know webcomics outside of Webtoon and Tapas, but for the most part, those platforms have really come to dominate, and the concept of comics on their own site has dwindled over the past decade. They still exist of course, it's just as more self-published webcomics end, fewer are springing up in the old school way of having a dot com and a personal website with a blog section, and more are just joining one of the centralized comic apps.

Nuns with Guns posted:

There's always been a split between conceptions of comics between webcomic readers and mainstream comic readers. There's almost no overlap in who discusses things in the webcomic threads in BSS, Marvel/DC stuff, indie-ish things like Image/Boom/Dark Horse, or European comics or anything. There's a larger overlap with manga, probably because it's easier to read that stuff online for free, but even that's not 1:1. Like just mildly picking on Gunnerkrigg some more, people gushed about the art and when it would go into more abstract panel layouts like it was the only comic in existence with such stylish art. And I'm sure to a lot of people it was. Because they only read webcomics where that was just not a common thing because most webcomics aren't as polished, or for most of GC's time around were aping newspaper strips and rigidly committed to that panel layout.

What gets to me about this shift in how webcomics are made and published is that the new infinite scrolling format does away with panels, and thus these sorts of cool panel layouts. I'd love to try loving around with the kind of ideas you'd find in a J.H. Williams III project, but I have no idea how you'd be that experimental on Webtoon.

The 7th Guest posted:

It's funny to think about this and then think about how people could not comprehend or despised the layouts in Dresden Codak. I mean, whether the comic is to your taste or not is purely subjective (I thought the art was beautiful but wasn't really invested in the story), but I think you're right, that most webcomic readers' standard was just, it's either 4 panels horizontally, 2 x 2, or 4 panels vertically.

next year is my 20th year on the forums so there's definitely a bit of "did this happen 5 years ago or 10 years ago" going on for some of this stuff floating in my head. I think the worst period was around a decade+ ago when webcomic talk was mostly "look at this bad comic i found!". what I saw of the CCCC thread this year was pretty chill. i assume the most aggro people have either left the forums or are just in cspam now or something idk

It's funny that you mention Dresden Codak and the CCCC thread in the same post, because Dresden Codak is one of the few subjects on which that thread gets reliably unchill. They did a readthrough of the comic so far to better critique it, and I joined in by pointing out a couple of pages where I think the layout demonstrably doesn't work. The thread has calmed down since then, though I think that's mostly from fatigue and running out of mean things to say about Lore Olympus and other projects they dislike.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

He's messing with the thread to see if people will bait out any funny reactions like cum posting about wanting to gently caress the dog vtuber.

would anyone be so morally inept

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pennsylvanian posted:

I read qc for years, hoping something interesting would happen, but quit when he just kept introducing new characters with no real plots. I'd check in every once in a while and every storyline was just about the characters turning social molehills into mountains, yelling at each other for the dumbest reasons. It's funny that people praise the comic for showing emotional and psychological issues when his characters come off as massive narcissists.

I just checked the comic while posting this and the current plot is a multi week epic where two of the characters are obsessing over their social anxiety about hanging out for the first time.

With a side soupcon of "this is what VTubers are like" and really does feel like a traditional newspaper strip whose creator found out what 'the youth' are all about today and is trying to work it in.

Solitair posted:

It's funny that you mention Dresden Codak and the CCCC thread in the same post, because Dresden Codak is one of the few subjects on which that thread gets reliably unchill. They did a readthrough of the comic so far to better critique it, and I joined in by pointing out a couple of pages where I think the layout demonstrably doesn't work. The thread has calmed down since then, though I think that's mostly from fatigue and running out of mean things to say about Lore Olympus and other projects they dislike.

While I do think it looked nice, DC always felt like a both plodding and rambling vaguely manga-esque transhumanism comic inspired by whatever comic Diaz has taken a shine to of late. (A few months ago that appeared to be Mirko from My Hero Academia.)

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Pennsylvanian posted:

I still read QC regularly, not because I think it's great or anything, but mostly out of habit and inertia at this point. It's part of my daily routine and I feel off if I don't read it.

I'll admit that I read Sinfest way past the point where I was enjoying it in any way, shape, or form just because it threw me off not to. It's not a good habit

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
And after all this... we still have CAD

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Dawgstar posted:

While I do think it looked nice, DC always felt like a both plodding and rambling vaguely manga-esque transhumanism comic inspired by whatever comic Diaz has taken a shine to of late. (A few months ago that appeared to be Mirko from My Hero Academia.)

I think the nice art is actually part of the problem. I could be completely wrong about this, but the comic's utterly hosed update schedule seems to stem from the more detailed art style Diaz wants but can't sustain at a reasonable pace. The time they have to put out each page gives them plenty of opportunity to second-guess the story's direction at every opportunity, so they keep changing their minds and nothing feels like it belongs with anything else. What really kills me about the Dark Science purgatory the comic's stuck in is that I really like the joke it opens with (the one about harnessing energy from artists spinning in their graves). DC was at its best when it was gags like that, and I can't help but think Diaz goes to the long-form, serialized storytelling well when they're out of gag ideas, and this time they've fallen down the well and there's no rope to climb.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i remember seeing megatokyo in some bookstores manga section and remembering “oh yeah, thats a thing that existed”. i didnt and still dont remember anything about it except the 1337 poo poo and there was some goth girl who was a lovely person or something?

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I still see lots of never-purchased webcomic collections in my local bookstores that have sat in the same spots for over a decade. I'm guessing they're left over from the days when publishers like Dark Star try to do publishing deals with artists.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Being a web comic artist is not sustainable, and not just for financial reasons. Comics made by professionals are made by a team of people, or the artist is usually literally working themselves to death. Its basically the only way to put out a comic series at a fast enough rate that people won't lose interest/forgot it exists, without sacrificing quality in some way. Having an editor is also helpful, and helps prevent an author from doing something without being aware that it doesn't work.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Welcomics and mangaka. More often than not one person shows that grind you to dust.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

Welcomics and mangaka. More often than not one person shows that grind you to dust.

Someone post that typical mangaka schedule

fun hater
May 24, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Being a web comic artist is not sustainable, and not just for financial reasons. Comics made by professionals are made by a team of people, or the artist is usually literally working themselves to death. Its basically the only way to put out a comic series at a fast enough rate that people won't lose interest/forgot it exists, without sacrificing quality in some way. Having an editor is also helpful, and helps prevent an author from doing something without being aware that it doesn't work.

i honestly think it could be, if the world were not set up specifically to punish people for trying create art that isn't owned by a corporation. it used to be a lot easier when there was more money to go around

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

fun hater posted:

i honestly think it could be, if the world were not set up specifically to punish people for trying create art that isn't owned by a corporation. it used to be a lot easier when there was more money to go around

Its not an issue of money, Mangaka that do all the work themselves is a good example of this. A lot of them are forced to take very long hiatus due to health reasons, and the author of Berserk probably even died because of it. They aren't lacking in money, its just the workload is too much for a single person to output on a reasonable schedule for readers to maintain interest.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

...................to get money

e: money can be used to buy a better life. comic artists work themselves to death because life is bad

fun hater
May 24, 2009

whatever. life isnt even that good when you have money anyway. might as well draw

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

fun hater posted:

...................to get money

e: money can be used to buy a better life. comic artists work themselves to death because life is bad

You don't understand. They don't need any more money, the most successful mangaka are extremely rich. They could end their comics, and retire comfortably without having to work again for the rest of their lives. Some do exactly that. The people do everything by themselves and damage their health are the people that are very passionate about their work. Its just not sustainable to work on a comic by yourself for an extended period of time without sacrificing quality or health.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

mangaka hire assistants.i thought we were talking about webcomics. ah, whatever.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Life would be way better if I had money. Then I can actually make the art I want too

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

The 7th Guest posted:

an ad campaign recently that called indie comics "literature's side-hustle"

:lmao:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fun hater posted:

mangaka hire assistants.i thought we were talking about webcomics. ah, whatever.

they do, i think its all a sham and the real reasons mangaka are so unhealthy is that they're all doing drugs

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

CelticPredator posted:

Life would be way better if I had money. Then I can actually make the art I want too

What the gently caress??? You should only make the art I want. :mad:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Scholtz posted:

Oh baby. You’d want my art

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The 7th Guest posted:

i think it was also Webtoon that had an ad campaign recently that called indie comics "literature's side-hustle" which went over like a lead balloon

i seem to recall at a time when the English publishing world was trying to get onto webnovels (wattpad, I think?) they also tried that strategy and, well i don't think there's a lot of wattpad books sold now

Scholtz posted:

oh, you want some white affluent lady buying some wonderbread?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Alaois posted:

they do, i think its all a sham and the real reasons mangaka are so unhealthy is that they're all doing drugs

it's because of all that uranium they keep hoarding

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

i remember seeing megatokyo in some bookstores manga section and remembering “oh yeah, thats a thing that existed”. i didnt and still dont remember anything about it except the 1337 poo poo and there was some goth girl who was a lovely person or something?

I remember seeing Megatokyo in the manga section and being legitimately insulted that they put it there. Just because anime fans often have bad taste doesn’t mean our taste is that bad!

Also, while we’re talking about webcomics, why do goons dislike Lore Olympus so much? I flipped through the first volume of it at the store I work at and it seems fine enough

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

thetoughestbean posted:

I remember seeing Megatokyo in the manga section and being legitimately insulted that they put it there. Just because anime fans often have bad taste doesn’t mean our taste is that bad!

Where you not aware of the trend of trying to make, "Original English Manga"? Because that also put out a lot of trash.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Hel posted:

Where you not aware of the trend of trying to make, "Original English Manga"? Because that also put out a lot of trash.

I’m aware of them, I just put them in the comics section, where they belong.

There’s stuff that apes the manga style well enough to justify putting it in the manga section, like Radiant, but Megatokyo ain’t it

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The artstyle is the least of that comics problems anyway.
(Not that Megatokyo ever was anywhere near controversy, it was just... there.... always chugging along)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Also, while we’re talking about webcomics, why do goons dislike Lore Olympus so much? I flipped through the first volume of it at the store I work at and it seems fine enough

i think it's mostly the same kind of controversy that surrounded 50 Shades - in terms of technical skill and content it's obviously terrible, but that's compounded by how monstrously popular it's become. it's basically a soap opera with a severely infantilized "heroine" and the art's consistently off-model to the point where if the characters weren't color-coded it'd be impossible to tell them apart

it's been posted regularly in the byob thread for i think years now and while i don't pay much attention to the panels they're all the same, this endless sleeting waterfall of single-color panels with no backgrounds

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its extremely misogynistic

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought LO was perfectly fine before it went off the loving rails like halfway in v:shobon:v

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's about a dude in his 40s in love with a teenager

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

megatokyo sits in the same memory space for me as getting in trouble for watching those lovely edgy joecartoon flashes of gerbils getting microwaved

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

The Chad Jihad posted:

It's about a dude in his 40s in love with a teenager
Ooh I have a tweet for this one! Just swap out "selfcest" with "are literally immortal Greek gods"

https://twitter.com/CosmonautMarcus/status/1414633457691594755

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Megatokyo has the strange honor in my mind of being something I've been aware of for most of my life but know absolutely nothing about beyond the title and maybe one cardboard display in a Border's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

Ooh I have a tweet for this one! Just swap out "selfcest" with "are literally immortal Greek gods"

You're right, Hades is coded as a 40 year old but is actually several thousand years old, and Persephone is literally just 19. I apologize for missing this important nuance