Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

maybe they should remove those stupid sausage kerbs instead :thunk:

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Usually it’s not wanting to have staffing in areas when they don’t expect a huge crowd. Certainly is that way for stadiums and others.

Yeah one of the reasons I hate Silverstone is they always close half the stands for anything that isn't F1 (Understandable) but it's always the good stands so they can KeEp ThE f1 WeEkEnD sPeCiAl or something.

Like even at the MotoGP last I checked you can't sit at the stowe grandstand that can see down the hanger straight but the one further round the corner which is identical but with a worse view is open.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Just sat down, guess whose paddock is in front of me glick

Edit: the Peugeot exhaust is surprisingly tame compared to Toyota or even Jota lmp2. I’m getting skull hosed by the noise of every other car than the Peugeot.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 8, 2022

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Dudley posted:

Yeah one of the reasons I hate Silverstone is they always close half the stands for anything that isn't F1

COTA (lol) closes off at least 60% of the track. I've gone to WEC/IMSA events there and because its a barren wasteland getting photos at T11 are miserable. Plus they don't cut the grass either, so I've been destroyed by mites multiple times.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Cadi LMDh is now a real tangible car also.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Weather is clear, no clouds in sight. Qualifications should be interesting. The stands looked empty yesterday but the free practice session was still during office hours, maybe today there will be more crowd.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

The Cadi LMDh is now a real tangible car also.

https://twitter.com/sportscar365/status/1545482866842271744

Certainly looks to be an LMDH, that is for sure.

SlowBloke posted:

Weather is clear, no clouds in sight. Qualifications should be interesting. The stands looked empty yesterday but the free practice session was still during office hours, maybe today there will be more crowd.

Hope there will be!

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yep, the Caddy is a Dallara. The Porsche a Multimatic.

Not sure we've never seen any of the others in the flesh.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

harperdc posted:

Hope there will be!

Crowd is pretty much the same as yesterday, maybe a few more. Cars are warming up engines as we speak.

edit after qualifications: GTE is Ferrari all around while lmp got an early stoppage due to a dead Peugeot on track with the usual suspects at the usual places.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 9, 2022

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
This may sound stupid, but I've been playing the hell out of Gran Turismo and is there any racing league I could watch that's a similar premise, i.e. production model cars someone could feasibly purchase from a dealership?

Like supercars are neat and all, but I'd love to watch like Mustangs and Camaros and Aston Martins and just normal cars racing.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Trans Am is basically gt7 group 4.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Anime Liker posted:

This may sound stupid, but I've been playing the hell out of Gran Turismo and is there any racing league I could watch that's a similar premise, i.e. production model cars someone could feasibly purchase from a dealership?

Like supercars are neat and all, but I'd love to watch like Mustangs and Camaros and Aston Martins and just normal cars racing.

the IMSA michelin pilot challenge has mustangs, camaros and hyundais and stuff. Probably as close as you'll get to a factory showroom race car these days.

Here's a playlist with the entire last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V3WZVwgXwI&list=PLf7wapfsaSfjDaN2D8gAztvzThHUSDtpm

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Powershift posted:

the IMSA michelin pilot challenge has mustangs, camaros and hyundais and stuff. Probably as close as you'll get to a factory showroom race car these days.

Here's a playlist with the entire last season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V3WZVwgXwI&list=PLf7wapfsaSfjDaN2D8gAztvzThHUSDtpm

OK yeah that's sick. Thank you.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Anime Liker posted:

Nurburgring 24h is so lax you have frankendacias on the race, so that's an option too.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Anime Liker posted:

GT7’s classes for racing cars correspond closely to some real-life racing - Gr4 matches cars that are in the real-life GT4 class and compete in some series that use those, like IMSA’s Michelin Pilot Challenge. Gr3 are almost all GT3 cars, which run as the GTD class in IMSA, for the GT World Challenge series in Europe and the US, and in major races like the Nurburgring 24 Hours and Spa 24 Hours.

For like actual street cars that are tuned up and racing - there really isn’t much that’s close to that anymore. Things like the Time Attack World Challenge have extremely highly customized street cars, but the other series I can think of is Japan’s Super Taikyu, which has GT3 cars all the way down to Honda Fits.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Welcome back to Monza, lot more crowd today. Nice sunny weather without a cloud in sight. Teams are doing their last minute tunes as we speak. Start at 1200 CET. See ya in a few hours

Edit: cars on show for the track walk and I’m doing snaps with my potato phone over a reading lens I forgot in my bag. Good Christ I look like an rear end in a top hat

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 10, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Anime Liker posted:

The term you want is "Improved Production", it's mostly a thing in Australia and is exactly that. Here's the moment that brought it to a lot of people's attention, a battle at Bathurst 2017 between a Holden Commodore and Honda Civic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N81cEqZEDVQ

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

The Anime Liker posted:

There is plenty of that going on, it just generally doesn't have a high profile because it is low budget weekend warrior stuff.

I.e., most of what the National Auto Sport Association sanctions involves near-stock production vehicles. Look at rules for their Camaro Mustang Challenge Racing Series, for instance. You can find plenty of videos of that and other NASA series (like the better known Spec Miata series) on YouTube. Their big annual race, the 25 Hours of Thunderhill, normally gets a proper broadcast-style treatment and is full of near-stock production cars spread across many classes.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
WEC YouTube has hourly highlights happening for todays race if you can’t watch it live.

Brass Hand fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 10, 2022

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think their YouTube will put the race up in due time as well. The first three hours was pretty special, and even now it’s still a pretty poised race. Has had a little bit of everything, and Monza is such a special track too, great for the WEC classes.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i misread what time this started, i must have read it in local time or some poo poo

anyway i tuned in and iron dames are leading gte am so race is 10/10

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

kobayashi you dungus

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Finally back to the hotel, it was a proper wild ride, at the end of the race the whole stands crowd started stanning for Alpine without a reason, hootering and hollering while it fought with the Toyotas during the final leg. Ferrari being a crowd favorite during fights vs Porsche in gte was a bit easier to understand but still awesome. Sad about Prema loving up as usual, throwing a decent half of the race as leaders into a midfield position at the end.

I'm a bit pissed(but not so much) that you could purchase tickets for site access online but the pit lane access was only physical and, by the time i got there, they were all sold out. I got some Peugeot(painfully expensive, the car model they gave away at lemans this year was sold for 82€ and it was too rich for my blood), wec(slightly expensive) and circuit(average prices) merch to commemorate(they were the only stands in the open fan zone). People with pit access lanyards came into the stands with glick caps, porsche foam seat protectors and other odds and sods, nothing to yell at the sky for.

I cannot confirm nor deny going to the track with a wide brim hat and glasses, jinxing the gently caress out of glick.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

kobayashi you dungus

That was a wild conclusion to a wild battle

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I'm ready for Le Mans Daytona h

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

That was a wild conclusion to a wild battle

that was absolutely the two Toyota drivers playing stupid games, and it was Kobayashi who won the stupid prize. unreal. couldn't watch the end of the race live but glad that car got the penalty it did, it's beyond deserved.

seeing Toyota get pushed is fun, even if it wasn't by Peugeot (the description of a test team that wandered into a race meeting is probably close to accurate). that Glickenhaus was f a s t until the moment the turbocharger decided to exit stage right.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
To be fair, even Peugeot said that they're a test team that showed up to race

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm in Denver for the NHRA Mile High Nationals. Like Bristol, they chose to carve the track out of the side of a mountain. But its all loose scree so you can wipe out the Nitro Mall by trying to climb up the hillside. looking forwrd to meeting new bugs and hopefully not running over anymore race fans.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

To be fair, even Peugeot said that they're a test team that showed up to race

Yeah that was always the point and the basic speed is within BoP so they'll be quite happy with that, they now know they can concentrate on making it keep working for more than 20 minutes at a time.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NFUwCahhhU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I'm so glad that it's still cross-plane, it sounds amazing. The styling I wish was a little closer to the concept but that's because the concept was so good, this still looks really good, except that air box, that's pretty ugly

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The BMW LMDh is alive complete with WEC 2024 announcement.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

For further proof:

https://twitter.com/bmwmotorsport/status/1551943904689328129

I don’t think they’ve named who their WEC partner will be, but since Audi has decided to go chase the shiny object that is F1 the rumors had WRT as a strong possibility for the BMW job. Sounds like this current test program is using BMW RLL team members from the US to help prep and run the program.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Even if it's not an actual customer once you've got the damned car there's almost no reason to not race both series.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Even if it's not an actual customer once you've got the damned car there's almost no reason to not race both series.

BMW? I mean, it could also be contractual that Rahal can only race in IMSA and whoever gets the WEC can only be there, with Le Mans to be based on invites or requests.

I don’t think all of these LMH/GTP teams are going to be able to bring four cars (two from each series) to Le Mans like Ford and Porsche did in the GTE Pro peak era. The only guarantees are to teams in the WEC as full season.

Otherwise yeah Daytona doesn’t have invites but you’d imagine that IMSA doesn’t want Toyota and Ferrari to only show up for the Rolex and stomp everyone else (especially as Toyota are almost to Peak Joest levels of capability at running an endurance race).

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

We're in Seattle for the Flav-R-Pac NHRA Northwest Nationals.

They've got some good food lined up in the concession area and the place looks like Jason Vorhees might stumble on the track. Come on down this weekend, burn some nitro.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
oh poo poo i really need to go to pacific raceways one of these days

enjoy the heat op

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

its fuckin brutal.

And why are there so many spiders.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

At least it should be a dry heat up in the PNW. I should’ve tried to make that event the year I looked at it, would be awesome to see the nitro cars in person.

Oh hey, the tickets are finally on sale for WEC at Fuji Speedway :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Double post because this weekend is the Spa 24 Hours, in which German brands push their “customer” cars to the limits of believability at a glorious ribbon of road in the Ardennes forest.

https://youtu.be/MjjJKWqCQ1c

Should also be live and region free on YouTube as well.