Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Is there any restrictions on age for who can administer vaccines? My pediatrician is taking way too long to get back to us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I don't think there's any age restriction they just have to be a licensed doctor or nurse, so they'll presumably be in their 20s at least

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Try major hospital systems. We struck out with two but hit on the third.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My pediatrician said it could be weeks before they finally have shipments of the vaccine, loving what, guess I'm looking elsewhere

It's loving Providence, it's not like we're out in the middle of nowhere

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

We managed minute clinic, though I heard they won't do under 18months, this was for our 4yo

No reaction at all to the Pfizer fwiw

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

my 2yo is a Pfizer trial kid. two of three shots down, and his only side effect was an almost imperceptible fever after shot one.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Good soup! posted:

My pediatrician said it could be weeks before they finally have shipments of the vaccine, loving what, guess I'm looking elsewhere

It's loving Providence, it's not like we're out in the middle of nowhere

Ours is scheduling on a single day each month as they come in, and they said to check the RIdoh website for alternatives but the only places that come up there are CVS (18m+) or Walgreens (3y+)

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
If you're having trouble getting an appointment or waiting to hear back, I was having the same issue with our kid's clinic, and ended up just going to the closest place I could find on this website. The vaccination clinic ended up being a walk-in for me so we were able to just get in and get our 2yo a jab (with a wait time but it was only like 30 minutes wait for us)

But yeah try this if you're in the US and can't get in touch with anyone or waiting:

fosborb posted:

hey if you're interested and weren't aware:

COVID vaccine for 6 months to 5 years has been approved in the US as of this past weekend. get your kids' shots now!

you may have a choice between moderna and pfizer... moderna did far better than pfizer with two shots. Pfizer then submitted 3 shots to make up for it, and they are slightly higher efficacy than modernas 2 shots with their 3, but also their sample size is literally 11 kids.

in the US? https://www.vaccines.gov/search/

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Greg Legg posted:

Have any parents with children under 5 vaccinated them against covid? My kids are signed up to get them on Friday, but my reaction to moderna was intense. I'm worried.

my 4 year old got her first shot last week, no side effects at all

i had been constantly telling her mom that if they didn't approve it soon i was just gonna take her in and say "this is my 5 year old, jab her up!"

i mean i said that like 6 months ago and chickened out, but i was very much considering it

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Ours is scheduling on a single day each month as they come in, and they said to check the RIdoh website for alternatives but the only places that come up there are CVS (18m+) or Walgreens (3y+)

Yeah the state site that lets you look up clinics has the Moderna and Pfizer under 5 vaccine in the drop down menu but I did a search within a 100 mile radius and it just says none are available :mad:

I get that it takes time to get the ball rolling from approval to distribution but don't loving say they'll be available when they're not gdi

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
It took me until college to figure this stuff out...kids grow up so fast these days...

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

we recently switched my kid from a crib to a big boy bed, it has not been good for his bedtime. boy just stays up until past 8 now, won't stop playing in his room. hoping he gets used to the freedom and goes back to normal soon, it's only been like a week.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
How old is he? We started reading bedtime stories and singing our oldest to sleep about a month before our second was born. He still comes in to sleep in our bed most nights, but it's kinda cozy. Like the big pile in The Croods.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That seems to happen sometimes. It might turn out your kid is a night owl, we usually put ours to bed between 8-8:30 and she regularly stays up until 10-11 playing in her room and reading to herself (I'm not even gonna put reading in quotes, she's proven several times she can actually read out new and novel words)

From what I've read it's not a big deal and as long as they get enough sleep it's fine. And the quiet time and regular schedule are still good for them.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Struensee posted:

How old is he? We started reading bedtime stories and singing our oldest to sleep about a month before our second was born. He still comes in to sleep in our bed most nights, but it's kinda cozy. Like the big pile in The Croods.

I kind of wish our 2yo would climb into our bed sometimes, but she just stays in her room until we come get her. She knows how to work the door too, i dunno what it is

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

hes two years and three months, and honestly was getting physically too big for his crib, hence the big boy bed. we still do our whole bedtime routine (bath, singing, story time) but after we leave his room he just makes a huge mess in there with his toys. it can get frustrating because he starts to get tired and pissed, but he won't lay down and go to sleep. like i said, hopefully it's just the adjustment, and he'll figure it out. he's still a great napper: we put him in there at noon and he passes out hard until 2 pm.

little guy also really likes watching baseball with me, at least for the few minutes his attention span can focus on it lol. sometimes he'll be like "watch baseball with daddy, watch baseball" when there's no game on. cute! love that he can talk now.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I never let the kids in bed because I know they'll want in every night and I'm exhausted as it is. Maybe on vacation someday.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Oyak posted:

It took me until college to figure this stuff out...kids grow up so fast these days...

holy poo poo

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Oyak posted:

Wrong column for turkey, but a solid B+

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid started crying at like 5 am this morning, somewhat unusual these days as he's past two and normally sleeps through the night. i went into his room to see what's up and he had fallen out of his bed, and was just laying there crying on the floor. i picked him up and put him back in his bed and he said "i love you dada". parenting, sometimes, is good lol

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

lobster shirt posted:

my kid started crying at like 5 am this morning, somewhat unusual these days as he's past two and normally sleeps through the night. i went into his room to see what's up and he had fallen out of his bed, and was just laying there crying on the floor. i picked him up and put him back in his bed and he said "i love you dada". parenting, sometimes, is good lol

small kids small problems

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
kid getting lice is such a time sink. do not recommend. I believe we finally took care of all of us.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BonHair posted:

My kid really likes watching a Russian cartoon (Masha and the bear). I am not particularly fond of Russia these days. On one hand, I feel like I should probably boycott Russian media, but I really don't know how to explain global politics to a 4 year old in a way that makes him okay with losing his favourite show. Plus, it's actually the best thing he's watching in terms of content, with the primary competition being paw patrol. I also don't know if it's actually supporting the Russian government, since it's on Netflix anyway.

It's not a big thing, but I kinda needed to vent it somewhere...

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
My kid actually just got hooked on Masha and the Bear thanks to the pediatrician's waiting room, it's some pretty good classic cartoon antics. Very cute, would recommend. For some reason she gets SUPER stoked about anything Masha does and says and tries to repeat things she says more than anything/anyone else she's seen, on TV or in real life :shrug:

It's kinda funny watching it dubbed though, I wonder if that's something my kid's noticing or thinking about

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

Wanted to drop by and see if anyone had experienced this (yet).

My 5 year old has started testing the waters by comparing his mother with my partner (his step-mother)

He'll start saying things like, "I love my mom more than I love you". Now I understand that he's going to use words without having a full understanding of how hard they can hurt - I'm just wondering if anyone here has experienced this, and how they managed to stay patient with it.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the only things my kid wants to watch is baseball (which he hasn't grasped is not available as a streaming model and he can't watch it whenever he wants) and daniel tiger. wish he would start liking sesame street again!!!

tragically today he is sick, no appetite and fussy. but it's also kinda sweet because he just wants to cuddle with me on the couch or in his bed. much easier than when he wants to run around the house for hours on end lol

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Josherino posted:

My 5 year old has started testing the waters by comparing his mother with my partner (his step-mother)

He'll start saying things like, "I love my mom more than I love you". Now I understand that he's going to use words without having a full understanding of how hard they can hurt - I'm just wondering if anyone here has experienced this, and how they managed to stay patient with it.

I can't remember the exact details, but its a combination of no filter, starting to build logic (very black/white logic) and still being a bit egocentric. Our 6yo earlier this year went through a phase of very bluntly telling us the 'correct' way to do things - how to write numbers, for example. It was pretty irritating, but she was just trying, clumsily, to make logical sense of her world and not quite understanding that there might be more than one way to do things.

As anything with kids, just remember that its not personal. Which can be hard to do!

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

My 6 year old told me to my face once that she wished her friend's dad was her dad instead of me.

At the dinner table, after I made a separate dinner just for her like I do every night because she's a picky eater.

I tried not to take it personally.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Josherino posted:

I definitely don't take it seriously or personally, sometimes I probe to see if something is bothering him, but he's just trolling and kids love getting a rise out of us. I'll def try to say that it's rude and correct it a little bit or I'll just go oh okay cause he's just speaking to be heard. In a couple more years I might push back on it harder.

I've got a whole shpiel about being polite that I give him every couple days, and try to point out when people are polite to him, or when he is polite to others. Trying to really set that up as a big virtue to chase, and reference it in specific situations.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
I do like not engaging with bad behavior if it can just pass, I do a disapproving mmmmhmmmm and let it slide if it does not become a situation where it has to be shut down or turned into a teaching moment. Kids are constantly testing the waters, and we don't need to fall for it every time

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Josherino posted:

I don't have much to add beyond what everyone else has said, but a good friend of ours is going through this too. The guy she's dating now is persistent, though. He downloaded pokemon go to trade pokemon with the daughter and always brings gifts. Like others have said, he's okay with it because I don't think he takes it personally and sees it more as a puzzle to solve. Good luck!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Sometimes I'll try to sing along with my 3yo's songs and she'll immediately start crying and giving me a near-meltdown level NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO until i stop

I'm being bullied

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Another Bill posted:

At the dinner table, after I made a separate dinner just for her like I do every night because she's a picky eater.

from experience, at this point this likely won't be a phase she will snap out of on her own, in case you were ever wanting to make only one dinner a night before she moves out for college

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Sometimes I'll try to sing along with my 3yo's songs and she'll immediately start crying and giving me a near-meltdown level NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO until i stop

I'm being bullied

My two year old at least tells me what his objections are when he does that.

Often it's that I'm signing in the wrong language

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Little Soup is 18 months old now and caught hand, foot, and mouth from daycare and is just angry about the whole affair and I can't blame her. I work from home during summers when school is out but it has been one of those "mom or bust" type deals, so she is staying home today so I can get at least some work done.

We are also disappointed in our pediatrician who kept telling us they wouldn't have COVID shots until the end of the month and yet we called around to a few random MinuteClinics and a few family-owned pharmacies around Providence and a few of them were just like "Yeah we have Pfizer (or Moderna), walk-ins are welcome", what the gently caress

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Same deal with our pediatrician. If she doesn't have a firm date on our appointment tomorrow, we're going to just go to CVS or something.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Moderna approved for kids under 5 in canada :toot:

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
The daycare my wife works at had a clinic and we got our 4 and 1 year olds jabbed. I did have a pang of "omg what if my kid is the one in a million that has complications" worries but got over it pretty quick.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Success story: we finally got my almost five year old a real bike, and within like ten minutes I could let go of the broomstick I was using to help with the balance. Using a running bike really seems to have paid off in terms of balance, aside from being nice in itself because it allowed a three year old to reach adult walking speeds. Heavily recommended.

Now I hope he grows up to never get a driver's license like his parents and my (single) mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

BonHair posted:

Success story: we finally got my almost five year old a real bike, and within like ten minutes I could let go of the broomstick I was using to help with the balance. Using a running bike really seems to have paid off in terms of balance, aside from being nice in itself because it allowed a three year old to reach adult walking speeds. Heavily recommended.

Now I hope he grows up to never get a driver's license like his parents and my (single) mom.

My pre-5yo used the balance bike for like a month before switching to the pedal bike, it really seemed to help. My current 4.5yo doesn't have any interest in graduating to pedals yet.