Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Antifa infiltrators started the hang Mike pence chat to make the civil protest seem more violent and seditious. Duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
their only regret is that it failed

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Automata 10 Pack posted:

their only regret is that it failed

This is the crux of all conservative contrition. They’re not sorry that they did it, they’re temporarily embarrassed that they got caught.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1546135572598718465?t=IEc_XepVW73Lf2b-6sEaWA&s=19

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Welp, there's direct witness #1, just need one more in the room and it's treason time

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Seems like they're getting desperate to find some way to derail the hearings. I can't imagine anyone alive is stupid enough to think bannon wants to help them. Susan Collins maybe, but she's not being allowed anywhere near this.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Welp, there's direct witness #1, just need one more in the room and it's treason time

there is literally zero chance that bannon wants to help the committee

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Yeah damnit I was a little too prepared that when faced with "turn on trump or lie under oath", this dude wouldn't risk himself any further.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Seems like they're getting desperate to find some way to derail the hearings. I can't imagine anyone alive is stupid enough to think bannon wants to help them. Susan Collins maybe, but she's not being allowed anywhere near this.

I wonder if he wants to testify because Trump waived executive privilege

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1546139059222941696/photo/1

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
wasn't executive privilege preventing people from using the 5th as a defense?

Cimber posted:

there is even less chance that trump and bannon are working together to help the committee

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Cimber posted:

Lol at this supposed serious political commentator posting this delusional tripe from a mad fatso as if it's a real thing that means anything

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

My understanding is that he would be deposed privately but on tape, and he wouldn't be asked any questions they didn't know the answer to, correct? So if he decided to duck around he could say goodbye to the next 20 years?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 10, 2022

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol at this supposed serious political commentator posting this delusional tripe from a mad fatso as if it's a real thing that means anything

Oh, its totally meaningless tripe, but i think it serves as a form of coordination between Bannon and Trump. A message for Bannon to go testify, get out of the contemp charge, and do nothing but say 'I plead the 5th' over and over.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

TulliusCicero posted:

Honest question: why haven't the Proud Boys as a whole been flagged as a terrorist organization by the Fed?

There seems no reason to let them keep wandering around harassing Philadelphia and Portland and storming Drag Queen book readings.

I thought this was a good question, so I did some digging.

TLDR: main reason is because the "terrorist organization list" is officially titled the "Foreign Terrorist Organizations," designated by the Secretary of State and empowered by section 219 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) and is not designed for domestic terror organizations.

The long answer:

Bel Shazar posted:

Because Republicans don't want to destroy their own foot soldiers, just hang a few out to dry so they can pretend there is a distance between them.

It's not this.

The most likely "The Fed" you're thinking of is probably not the Federal Reserve, but an amalgamation of different entities, noticeably the relationship between the FBI, local law enforcement, and the State Department. The State Department's responsibility is foreign policy and international relations, and generally does not have domestic authority for US citizens. This creates a problem--the government of Examplestan would really like it if the most powerful country in the world would stop protecting people sending money to the Association of Terrorists and True Kings of Examplestan (ATTKE).

Now when Charles became a full member of ATTKE and flew out to Examplestan and participated in an attempt to overthrow Examplestan's government, that wasn't so difficult to figure out what to do with him. Examplestan arrested him, that was pretty easy. Since ATTKE are pretty mean dudes and the State Department wants a good relationship with Examplestan, State just didn't push back when Examplestan's Security Service arrested, tried, and sentenced him.

Where Examplestan and State are having trouble is that it's not illegal to send money to your cousin. Specifically, it's not illegal for Bob, an American citizen living in America to send money to his cousin Alice, an obvious member of the ATTKE. If State asks the FBI and local law enforcement to do something about it, they have no right. Now there are lot of revolutionary organizations and probably even terorrist organizations that don't make the list of the FTO. But if the pressure from Examplestan is good enough, if legislative and public pressure in America is good enough, if the acts of ATTKE are heinous and obvious (like Boko Haram for instance), then the Secretary of State might declare ATTKE an FTO. Now it's might still not be illegal for Bob to send money to Alice, but it is legal for Treasury to freeze those assets so Bob quits, and now the FBI is allowed to investigate tips from State and Intelligence organizations to actually find out that Bob is sending money to Alice. (I think).

So the people making the list don't have the ability to add a domestic organization to the list, nor would doing so be useful in the way the list was designed.

Does the FBI maintain a list of domestic organizations? Almost assuredly internally, but I can't find one that faces outwardly. But it wouldn't matter. Being a member of an organization isn't (usually) illegal in the US, otherwise Nazi and KKK members would all quickly be in prison. And the lines get blurry about 'punishing' people for being part of an organization. Unlike claims of action by terrorist groups, the Proud Boys as an organization have publicly distanced themselves from these actions.

Domestically, individuals have to be investigated and tried based on actions and conspiracy. Which is good, otherwise the FBI would be policing symbiology and messages.

Edit: To be clear that "almost assured internal list" almost assuredly already includes "The Proud Boys" and the FBI warns about them: https://www.opb.org/news/article/fbi-proud-boys-extremist-group-white-nationalism/. But it's not the same as the FTO and can't really be unless membership is more clear and the Proud Boys intent is more public and definite.

piL fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 10, 2022

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

My understanding is that he would be deposed privately but on tape, and he wouldn't be asked any questions they didn't know the answer to, correct? So if he decided to duck around he could say goodbye to the next 20 years?

That's why he's asking to testify live. He wants to disrupt and distract.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Also, the offer does the trick of red meat anyway. When it's declined, it's "WHY WONT THEY LET US HEAR WHAT HE HAS TO SAY"

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

There's also the fact that his lawyer noped out of his contempt case and he probably doesn't want to go back to prison.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dubar posted:

There's also the fact that his lawyer noped out of his contempt case and he probably doesn't want to go back to prison.

He's got a hearing in that case tomorrow in which a J6C counsel will also appear. This whole "offer" might be a desperate attempt to cut that off at the knees.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

mdemone posted:

That's why he's asking to testify live. He wants to disrupt and distract.

Ok, I'm recovering from about a week of Covid and also haven't had coffee yet, so I'm confused. Please be gentle...

If he will give a taped deposition, and then doesn't give the exact answers in the live setting, won't he go to jail? If he decides to suddenly plead the fifth or get belligerent or go off script, don't they have him by the balls?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ok, I'm recovering from about a week of Covid and also haven't had coffee yet, so I'm confused. Please be gentle...

If he will give a taped deposition, and then doesn't give the exact answers in the live setting, won't he go to jail? If he decides to suddenly plead the fifth or get belligerent or go off script, don't they have him by the balls?

I think the issue is that Bannon and the other rear end in a top hat are wanting to give live depositions, rather than private ones that are taped and then requestioned in front of the committee, so it'd be impossible to know what they'll say, and with little-to-no filter. Bannon COULD be looking at his options, and a likely lengthy jail sentence for a man who gleefully threw him under the bus and decided to throw Trump under the bus first. Or he could be looking at it as an opportunity to try to discredit the Hearings and show his loyalty to his Furhur.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Bannon is going to Gym Jordan style gish gallop, scream, fart and slobber all over the place.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Randalor posted:

I think the issue is that Bannon and the other rear end in a top hat are wanting to give live depositions, rather than private ones that are taped and then requestioned in front of the committee, so it'd be impossible to know what they'll say, and with little-to-no filter. Bannon COULD be looking at his options, and a likely lengthy jail sentence for a man who gleefully threw him under the bus and decided to throw Trump under the bus first. Or he could be looking at it as an opportunity to try to discredit the Hearings and show his loyalty to his Furhur.

Got it. Thanks for not calling me an idiot.

But I don't see any situation in which they wouldn't have him at a taped deposition first just for insurance.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

He's not going to sit for a deposition, his proposal was to testify for the first time live.

And he'll just stick to the Trump script. It's not going to happen (at least the way he wants it).

Edit: beaten

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Thanks all. I was going under the assumption there'd be a prior taped deposition before the love hearing.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Neither did Hutchinson. As far as I know everyone who has testified so far is an irredeemable ghoul, except Lady Bird and her daughter. It's even run by ghouls apart from Mr. Thompson!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Randalor posted:

I don't think the Committee would be willing to drop the contempt charge if he refuses to do a taped disposition. The subpoena is on their terms, not his.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks all. I was going under the assumption there'd be a prior taped deposition before the love hearing.

If he actually wants to testify then yes, that's how it would go. He doesn't actually want to testify, he wants to posture and then use a ridiculous position to grift. "They won't let me tell the truth! They'll edit what I say and show you the result out of context. Yet another witch hunt, give me money for my legal fees." is absurd but that's what it is.

This is a show, Trump is making a public claim of withdrawing executive privilege but he never asserted it, even if he had asserted it there is no privilege attached here. Trump and Bannon are trying to moot out the court case because it's about to go horribly wrong for them, and I don't mean a few days of prison time for Bannon.

Bannon's position is essentially:

The committee isn't valid
Even if the committee is valid it's subpoenas aren't
Even if the committee is valid and it's subpoena's are valid this one isn't as it's not a legislative purpose
Even if the committee is valid and it's subpoena's are valid and this one is a legislative purpose it's not valid because it's too broad
Even if the committee is valid and it's subpoena's are valid and this one is a legislative purpose and it's not too broad I still don't have to testify because of executive privilege

And the court is about to take about 1 day to determine:
It's a valid committee, it's subpoenas are valid, its a proper purpose, the request is not too broad and Bannon is not covered by executive privilege BUT even if he were executive privilege doesn't apply to these events and conversations because they are not legitimate functions of the president and ANYONE else making these claims is in violation of US Law and punishable by fine and jail time.

Completely eradicating any other witness using the same schtick (Meadows, Eastman & etc...) to avoid testifying and blowing out of the water a year+ of MAGA talking head nonsense.

This trial going forward is very, very bad for Trump.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 10, 2022

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Yeah, Meadows is so hosed. I wonder if that's why he shut down on January 6, because he understood how hosed they all were.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Also, LOL at Bannon's lawyer saying he can't testify because he's also a fact witness at the last second.

The J6 lawyers should petition the judge to sanction his rear end for wasting their time since he knew about this months ago.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Murgos posted:

Also, LOL at Bannon's lawyer saying he can't testify because he's also a fact witness at the last second.

The J6 lawyers should petition the judge to sanction his rear end for wasting their time since he knew about this months ago.

I can't emphasize enough how much judges love being jerked around like this.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
It's pretty customary to depose a witness who's going to testify, no? Just depose Bannon first and that way if he gets up there and does the bullshit song and dance he wants to do, they can refer to the deposition and point out and play the contradictions. He just wants to get up there and do his act in attempt to parlay it into...something...and interject his soundbites. Like most people who worship at the altar of Trump, the truth does not exist inside him nor exists as a part of his world or how it's perceived.

He thinks he's going to go on TV and do a "YOUR'E out of order" or some Nathan Jessup poo poo like he sees in the movies. Because all this is - all of this grift - is nothing more than a commercial and a show.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

tldr: How many people realized they hosed up only when calls for hanging (the vp) started?

That (stuff in the last few pages) made me consider a slightly separate question about this whole affair: For how many US citizens was/is the call to "Hang Mike Pence" sufficient to push this from nothingburger to "oops, I voted for this scumbag?"?

I ponder some (expletives deleted) middle American watching events unfold, perhaps with a half smile on their face because "they had BLM, we get this!" and then a gallows appears with the Capitol in focus on the background, to shouts for hanging the vice president of the United States. I'd really like to believe that was the chasm that caused them to stop, stare at their televisions, blink, then become scared with the realization that their views, votes, and ideas were tantamount to anarchy and philosophical treason, that nothing in their lives would have value or remain 'sacred' if their loudly avowed beliefs were carried to their publicized conclusion.

In this forum I've noted feeling like I was "talked into sedition" (by the media?) until a hearing a few weeks back when I became convinced that actions clearly met the definitions of treason, which is not the same as charging for treason, or attempting that charge, or dealing with the minimum and maximum penalties thereof. With the loud proclamations above, however, I wondered about "the other side". The message had been "stop the steal". How many people first realized they goofed only when calls to hang the vp started?

Anecdotal but I did notice a whole lot of trump signs/flags come down around that period, doubt that would keep any of these people from voting for him again, though.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
We are all just speculating right now, none of us know exactly what Bannon is trying to do (though I think we are in the right ballpark for sure). Remember Oathkeeper leader Stewart Rhodes appears to be making the exact same play, saying he will testify but only if he can do it live because "they will edit my testimony to make me look guilty otherwise."
Bannon is the one who actually frightens me because he is so happy to go on his platform and flat-out call for violent fascist takeover and people like Rhodes are very much emboldened by his rhetoric. Bannon is the demagogue who is actually intelligent enough stay off the streets himself and play others into doing his dirty work.

The J6 Committee hasn't given me any reason to believe they would fall for any of this, and so far they haven't. Since they are framing everything in legal prosecutorial language I think they are savvy enough to navigate this bullshit.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Even if they go live...if they're sworn in and get up there and lie it's still perjury, right? Regardless, I'd be reluctant to let any of these shitheads dictate the terms of exactly how, when or under what circumstances they get to decide they're willing to talk about. On the other hand, getting one or two of them up there Benghazi hearings style and grilling them for 8 to 10 hours does have a certain appeal to it.

Thing is though, you just know that the only reason they want to go live with it is simply to poo poo up the proceedings, frame things and obfuscate the line of investigation. Half of them couldn't place their hand on a bible without bursting into flames in the first place.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Mercury_Storm posted:

Anecdotal but I did notice a whole lot of trump signs/flags come down around that period, doubt that would keep any of these people from voting for him again, though.

At the same time, in my area i saw more trump poo poo around as people doubled down, even a US flag with a gloating trump pointing outwards superimposed flying from a flagpole. That pissed me off something fierce. I don't usually get too wound up about the flag, and while I find the BLM flags to be tacky and disrepectful, to see that gaping rear end in a top hat's face superimposed on the American flag really grinds my rear end.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

It's pretty customary to depose a witness who's going to testify, no? Just depose Bannon first and that way if he gets up there and does the bullshit song and dance he wants to do, they can refer to the deposition and point out and play the contradictions. He just wants to get up there and do his act in attempt to parlay it into...something...and interject his soundbites. Like most people who worship at the altar of Trump, the truth does not exist inside him nor exists as a part of his world or how it's perceived.

He thinks he's going to go on TV and do a "YOUR'E out of order" or some Nathan Jessup poo poo like he sees in the movies. Because all this is - all of this grift - is nothing more than a commercial and a show.

or just don't let bannon or rhodes anywhere near a live broadcast

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

or just don't let bannon or rhodes anywhere near a live broadcast

Yeah, there are no circumstances whatsoever where I allow them to testify live on TV. Even if we have their taped answers and they promise to be good and just repeat them, I'll say "no thanks, we're good" and just use their taped testimony when appropriate or useful.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Counterpoint: Bannon is likely to show up to testify drunk as poo poo and will likely embarrass the hell out of himself and everyone associated with him.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Counterpoint: Bannon is likely to show up to testify drunk as poo poo and will likely embarrass the hell out of himself and everyone associated with him.

I think mcnabb was right that rhodes would be an absolute circus too... which is precisely why they shouldn't be allowed within a million miles of a live broadcast congressional hearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Steve Bannon is like a Nazi Grima Wormtongue.