Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

I already hated myself for the Dire Straits reference.

One more 80s reference unlocks a special edition goonies nft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I already hated myself for the Dire Straits reference.

One more 80s reference unlocks a special edition goonies nft.

https://youtu.be/4IdbjiHSPRo

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Congratulations, you can find your prize on opensea.org

80s wrestling is basically the best thing about the 80s.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
donnie won't be getting his twitter account back, and so

https://twitter.com/aaronlarnavarro/status/1545948863638413314

(also elon's gonna back desantis)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/Ac0gMaster/status/1545450989335056387

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

:vince:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

https://twitter.com/SawyerHackett/status/1545909647348998144?s=20&t=SqFG0pugWH8egQos_ViutA

Joe Brandon at it again!

:ck5:

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

The internet analysis on those improvised guns is gonna be wild

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ian at the BUG match with that.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1545903465225912323

Gota had been staying in a naval base for a few months, when it became clear there was no way to secure his residence and that the security forces seemingly didn’t have the appetite for a crackdown.

Gotta wonder where he’ll flee to. India or China seem like the most likely candidates.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Nothing of importance in the grand scheme of things but, I just saw this article:

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/navy-fires-nuke-submarine-captain-after-only-8-months/?amp

It piqued my curiosity. I'm sure it's not normal to fire a sub commander after only 8 months, but I did wonder what sort of things would cause that to happen. I mean, the article is kind of vague. Loss of confidence, yada yada yada. I figured vets might have some i sight.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Shaddak posted:

Nothing of importance in the grand scheme of things but, I just saw this article:

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/navy-fires-nuke-submarine-captain-after-only-8-months/?amp

It piqued my curiosity. I'm sure it's not normal to fire a sub commander after only 8 months, but I did wonder what sort of things would cause that to happen. I mean, the article is kind of vague. Loss of confidence, yada yada yada. I figured vets might have some i sight.

Like the article says, it can cover a very wide range of reasons, and it's the standard line they use when they don't want to go into details. You'll commonly see it used for personal misconduct (DUI, fraternization, other illegal activity), poor command climate (hazing, discrimination, suicides, etc), or egregious operational failures like running into islands or other ships. Usually the latter case is pretty obvious, but otherwise we normally won't get any more details unless there are public legal actions or juicy leaks that catch media attention.

There's a saying that the #1 goal for every commanding officer is "don't show up on the front page of the Navy Times".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That guy who hit that seamount really should have seen it coming

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Just look out a window sheesh

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Milo and POTUS posted:

That guy who hit that seamount really should have seen it coming

Should have had lookouts posted.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Japan’s (maybe) getting a military again.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/10/world/asia/japan-election-abe.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/10/world/asia/japan-election-abe.html?referringSource=articleShare

Which honestly I’m fine with and I’d imagine most here are too.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Just so long as it's used as part of a united deterrent in the face of an increasingly imperialist China and not some inane dickwaving contest with Korea over some birdshit-covered rocks.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cugel the Clever posted:

Just so long as it's used as part of a united deterrent in the face of an increasingly imperialist China and not some inane dickwaving contest with Korea over some birdshit-covered rocks.

:same:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
There will absolutely be dickwaving over birdshit covered rocks. The extent to which this is tolerable depends entirely on how much they hold the line against Chinese maritime encroachment and usurpation.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
The LDP winning yet again and even more is probably not going to do good things for privacy, individual freedoms, and LGBT rights in Japan.

Also, a part of me worries that Japan not having a military is the only thing stopping it from going full fash again...

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spoggerific posted:

The LDP winning yet again and even more is probably not going to do good things for privacy, individual freedoms, and LGBT rights in Japan.

Also, a part of me worries that Japan not having a military is the only thing stopping it from going full fash again...

No, I don’t think the population would support it and even now getting article 9 redone is not a done deal and it’s not even clear if the public would support it.

I mean Japan isn’t gonna be cranking out aircraft carrier after aircraft carrier.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Don’t speak for us thanks

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I swing between "yeah it makes sense for them militarily and for US strategically for them to have a military" and "Japan building an aircraft carrier should be casus belli for every nation on the Pacific Rim" depending on how much they demonstrate that they've not moved on from WWII style nationalism.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'm sure as gently caress no Japan expert, but unless Japan going full fash includes a wildly successful pro-natal campaign, they're going to struggle to have enough young people to keep their economy alive, let alone serve in a new imperial army and navy. We all laugh/cry at the photos of the Russians trotting granddad out of retirement to fight Putin's war, but, Japan (like its neighbors) might be doing similar in any conflict 20 years down the line.

They could always open up to immigration to make up for things, but that's not even tolerable to the current right-wing government, let alone the fash.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I mean Japan isn’t gonna be cranking out aircraft carrier after aircraft carrier.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.o.D. posted:

I swing between "yeah it makes sense for them militarily and for US strategically for them to have a military" and "Japan building an aircraft carrier should be casus belli for every nation on the Pacific Rim" depending on how much they demonstrate that they've not moved on from WWII style nationalism.

I tend to think more the former generally, the fact that the LDP (as whole or in policy) has no desire to dump the security treaty indicates, to me fwiw, that they value US support and wouldn't do anything to truly jepordize it. I do agree it depends on their future behavior, but I also think with Russia and China, there is a way to build common ground with Japan and Korea, with Moon gone* it will be interesting to see if Japan realizes they have far more common ground with the new conservative government.

* Moon was quite poo poo for constantly letting the North play him for support/sunshine policy era style, suspending military exercise with the US, enabling and supporting that stupid Singapore meeting as some sort of potential breakthrough and some sort of accomplishment with getting two sociopaths to sit down with each other. I should state this is only me talking about in the foreign policy area.

Edit: ^haha I love that totally not a helicopter carrier or something that could be modified or newer version that allows for VTOL F35s to takeoff, it's just your standard destroyer. Fantastic troll job by the JMSDF.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 11, 2022

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Which honestly I’m fine with and I’d imagine most here are too.

Nah, bad assumption.

gently caress enabling anything other than statutory pacifism in Japan.

If you need me I’ll be ordering my XXXL 2.12MWE t-shirts from Patriot Front.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If Germany was okay, why not Japan? I’m not saying that as a gotcha, just a question of what the difference is?

Now if your answer is Germany should’ve got the Morgenthau plan, then its no distinction and I get your point.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I think they should be able to increase defense forces. If/when China makes a run on Taiwan, we're going to need an ally nearby that can seriously defend itself, maybe send some of their own to support a campaign.

I don't know how much Japan relies on the US economically, but they'd take a serious hit if they decided to play nationalist empire again. If they ever played games serious enough to draw sanctions, it wouldn't take much time to starve them out. They don't exactly have sweeping plains to grow grains to feed cattle or make tofu, and they're actively depleting their fish supply. The future isn't looking to good for Japan, their interest to stay in line in the trade bloc is just as important as all of their citizens having kids like loving right now.

Allowing them military expansion would probably be a boost to their economy, and ours, because we're going to sell them all sorts of poo poo to get up to speed. It might bite us in the rear end (maybe bar them from nukes), but Ukraine could bite us in the rear end. Taiwan could bite us in the rear end. We, as a nation, stick our rear end out specifically to test the waters and see who is going to bite, and how hard.

I don't think Japan has any real interest in their old ways. But I also don't think they'd turn down a slice of Russia if it collapses after Putin dies. They've played nice for 77 years, maybe give that dog a little more leash.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Marshal Prolapse posted:

No, I don’t think the population would support it and even now getting article 9 redone is not a done deal and it’s not even clear if the public would support it.

Of course not. I hear they can do amazing things with land based aircraft nowadays

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Eh I'd rather Japan not want an unrestricted military, but can't begrudge their recognition that the USA is no longer a reliable ally that they can defer to for military purposes.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

gently caress no

loving lmao at people in here talking about “imperialist China” given the history of both how Japan and the United States have treated China.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

loving lmao at people in here talking about “imperialist China” given the history of both how Japan and the United States have treated China.
How exactly does other states doing an imperialism to China in the past render us unable to characterize contemporary China as an imperialist power?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cugel the Clever posted:

How exactly does other states doing an imperialism to China in the past render us unable to characterize contemporary China as an imperialist power?

It’s their turn.

lol no

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Texas: Well, our grid is set up to deal with the Texas heat, you can't possibly blame us for dealing with massive winter colds!

Also Texas:

https://twitter.com/PhilJankowski/status/1546320921312600064

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Texas: Well, our grid is set up to deal with the Texas heat, you can't possibly blame us for dealing with massive winter colds!

Also Texas:

https://twitter.com/PhilJankowski/status/1546320921312600064

No market solution??? No way!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I thought the market solution was to charge $90,000/kwh during peak demand, to truly separate the haves from the have-nots during times when electricity gets scare.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Cugel the Clever posted:

What China is doing in some places is lovely but it's not "imperialism" nor does it justify Japan, a country that hasn't exactly grappled with it's fascist past, re-arming.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

What China is doing in some places is lovely but it's not "imperialism" nor does it justify Japan, a country that hasn't exactly grappled with it's fascist past, re-arming.

Lol nobody’s alive from that time period in power anymore stop bringing up old news.
Let’s take a look at what’s going on right now on their borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Poor little China won’t anyone protect them?