Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Im down to Zomboid with folks. I saw someone made a post on the private goon server forum but no responses. Ive played this game mostly solo but Id like to try playing with others for once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Enough of us have asked about a goon PZ server over the last few pages that we’d easily get a half dozen people or so on it, maybe more. If someone decides to make one, please share the info here or in PGS?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

id play as well, ive never really played so ill die hilariously.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I've seen enough zombie movies to know I'd die first but hey, better me than someone else!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

If someone does make a server please do survivor difficulty, I am a big baby.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I've never actually gotten into the game, but I'd play with goons.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

JointHorse posted:

And yeah, guns are LOUD. You might kill one or two zombies right now, but the whole zombified neighborhood heard that, and are coming to get you.

This isn't actually so bad in the most recent build. The smaller guns just alert your immediate surroundings now, so you can pretty safely practice on outskirts

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

kedo posted:

If someone does make a server please do survivor difficulty, I am a big baby.

I'm absolute trash at the game (I think playing on controller doesn't help) and I have a sandbox setting with like 10% of the normal population, no infection from bites, literally any crutch you can think of. So I feel your pain :glomp:

e: I am an adult (?) with disposable income so I could maybe host a server if people are interested.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 10, 2022

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm absolute trash at the game (I think playing on controller doesn't help) and I have a sandbox setting with like 10% of the normal population, no infection from bites, literally any crutch you can think of. So I feel your pain :glomp:

e: I am an adult (?) with disposable income so I could maybe host a server if people are interested.

I'll join! I am dumb and stupid and love thinking I have situations under control and then I am Roger from Dawn of the Dead.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
What's the best way to deal with the horde while driving a car and you want to loot a specific place? Just lure them with the car and double back? Feels like every time I tried that there's just a swarm of them around a point of interest, and if I leave the car it gets surrounded later when I try to get back to it. The car attracts too much attention it feels like a death sentence at times.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Big Scary Owl posted:

What's the best way to deal with the horde while driving a car and you want to loot a specific place? Just lure them with the car and double back? Feels like every time I tried that there's just a swarm of them around a point of interest, and if I leave the car it gets surrounded later when I try to get back to it. The car attracts too much attention it feels like a death sentence at times.

Lure them with the car by driving slowly past to somewhere farther away, then speed up and double back when you’ve lost them. Or, park the car and turn it off, and walk the horde into the woods, then double back to lose them. Nurse on YT has a good video on the letter technique.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Big Scary Owl posted:

Park in the back or behind a big fence, then draw the zombies somewhere else on foot. Also, remember to turn off the engine since it keeps making noise if you just exit the car.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Big Scary Owl posted:

More players :unsmith:

Seriously though, you have to drag them far away with the car, then scoot in as they mill around. It's tricky and tedious, and one of the reasons I'd like a goonserver!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Is there a good youtuber who plays Project Zomboid?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Cool Dad posted:

AmbiguousAmphibian is my fav. He has some challenge runs on his main channel, but check out the Zomboid videos on his VOD channel. He's very entertaining and charming and also taught me a lot about the game

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Nurse is great as well

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

gonna second the rec for AA, with the addendum that his early stuff of zomboid is primarily long plays, with the more recent being challenge stuff that's a lot more cut down and includes more of his style of humor. Both are good, but if you have the time the long play stuff is probably better overall for learning.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Cool Dad posted:

Ambiguous amphibian as mentioned for long plays, esp on vod channel. Nurse for short how tos. Retanaru for helpful tips videos and investigations. ThatGuyPredz for genuinely poor jokes and a very long series about surviving 1000 days.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I made a server: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006882

I used to be good at this game, but I'm high and dumb and pretty rusty so don't feel bad about dying I've already died twice just trying the server settings out.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

sure okay posted:

I made a server: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006882

I used to be good at this game, but I'm high and dumb and pretty rusty so don't feel bad about dying I've already died twice just trying the server settings out.

Joining in, I'm pretty bad and have been playing on baby settings but I've learned a lot since then. Hopefully I don't die embarrassingly often.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I got into downtown (uptown?) Muldraugh by car and managed to evade the horde and found a house nearby. Wonder how long it'll take for me to die.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cool Dad posted:

In addition to the others, Accurize2 also does some long plays

https://youtu.be/VYjuTNiCVdI

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Whoops, got cornered in a house and caught by a horde. RIP my first character

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

sure okay posted:

Well poo poo, I did one too. Super easy mode: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006889

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I feel the Skill Recovery Journal mod is invaluable for multiplayer unless you're running a hardcore RP server. It neatly removes the ragequit factor of dying while still keeping a bit of difficulty (if you're carrying your journal you need to go back and get it from your zombie, if you leave it in a safehouse, gotta remember to update it)

In singleplayer it makes sense for death to be more final, but in multiplayer it's just a drag to grind all your skills up again while everyone else is raiding malls.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a difference between doing a stomp or a weapon attack when a zombie is downed?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

One uses the weapon the other uses your shoes, which means different things suffer durability loss and different damage output depending on what’s equipped.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Stomping is nice because you can always find more boots from dead zombies, but finding more of the one fancy weapon you happen to like is a bit more difficult.

Stomping with bare feet will hurt your feet and make you slow, heads up! Not sure if that also applies to sneakers, but at least I’ve never had an injury as long as my character was wearing shoes of some sort.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, I've never had an injury if I've had any kind of shoes on. I always stomp to finish them off, to save my weapons.

Be aware though, that 'crawlers' can bite you! So if a zombie you hit over the head is crawling around trying to get you, don't just waltz over to stomp on them, since if you're unlucky they'll bite you. I think generally it's save to stomp them if you circle around and get them from behind, though

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Is it safe to sleep in a car?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Big Scary Owl posted:

I think it depends on your city's laws on the topic, as well as where you're parked-up for the night :D (Seriously though, not sure - never even knew that you could do that. I haven't played in a while, so maybe it's a newer feature? I guess a car in a garage should theoretically be fairly safe, assuming the windows are up, etc.)

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

not one but two houses near my initial base camp had alarms and completely overran my lil area and welp that's that

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Big Scary Owl posted:

Yes, if you're sitting in the driver's seat and you park driver side next to a building. However, it's poo poo quality and you wake up sore.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

lunar detritus posted:

I feel the Skill Recovery Journal mod is invaluable for multiplayer unless you're running a hardcore RP server. It neatly removes the ragequit factor of dying while still keeping a bit of difficulty (if you're carrying your journal you need to go back and get it from your zombie, if you leave it in a safehouse, gotta remember to update it)

In singleplayer it makes sense for death to be more final, but in multiplayer it's just a drag to grind all your skills up again while everyone else is raiding malls.

Yeah this is quite nice I think for multiplayer games. With the change so you can’t speed up time it definitely makes it harder to grind skills.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I wish that you could turn off appliances like you can with lights. Having to dismantle an object just cause you don't want to use up your generator fuel is bit much imo

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

tildes posted:

Yeah this is quite nice I think for multiplayer games. With the change so you can’t speed up time it definitely makes it harder to grind skills.

You can change the pages per minute value in the server settings file, though :eng101:

I like to set it to .5 for regular use or .25 if I want to recover my skills and training books faster.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
If I dismantle/break a door/house window, will it still trigger an alarm if the house has one?

Edit: I just fell over from the 3rd floor of my base cause I jump slightly to the side of the sheet rope but I'm pretty sure that I WAS ON IT. There should be a context action or the text should change to "climb down rope" when you are actually going to activate it. Now I got a broken leg :smith:

Big Scary Owl fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 12, 2022

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Cool Dad posted:

nthing AmbiguousAmphibian, frankly all of his videos are 100% fantastic and worth watching just for entertainment; his Kenshi and Rimworld series are amazing.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

idiotsavant posted:

nthing AmbiguousAmphibian, frankly all of his videos are 100% fantastic and worth watching just for entertainment; his Kenshi and Rimworld series are amazing.

Yeah AA is a cool dude. 99% of what he does are comedy gimmick runs (on any game, really) but I did learn a handful of things I didn’t know about survival. He is also not what I’d consider annoying or over the top, which is hard to find on the gaming side of YT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Just hit an invisible object while driving and I just lost my character :negative: