Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

it hasn’t rained in two weeks where I live in CT. we might get a little next weekend but might not. seems normal and fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Wamsutta posted:

it hasn’t rained in two weeks where I live in CT. we might get a little next weekend but might not. seems normal and fine

It's rained twice at least since last Friday in north central CT but neither actually helped much and shits still dry af.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

hifi posted:

this map seems like bullshit

http://smoke.alaska.edu/current_fires.html

looks legit to me

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

neutral milf hotel posted:

sounds bad

https://twitter.com/simonleewx/status/1543390439960711170

yeah it's 2 weeks out so take with a grain of salt

Oh hey, remember this? The model is still forecasting highs above 40C only one week out this time:

https://twitter.com/DrTELS/status/1545821967223226369

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Gonna be a really hot RIAT this year at RAF Fairford.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Omnicarus posted:

Memphis better call Sears tomorrow

I hope that it is noted that the heat death of humanity was only made possible by Sears eating poo poo and making us unable to call them tomorrow today now

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

It's kind of cute watching people get excited about a 10 - 25% chance of rain. That's "safely ignore it" here but I guess that's what living in a drought-stricken desert does to you.

Somehow drought and desert seem redundant. Why do people live there again? Oh right - water from somewhere else. That, and not having to put up with a uniform damp, cold grey sending you into depression from October to April.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

water in general comes from "elsewhere", that's what pipes are for

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Mr.Radar posted:

Oh hey, remember this? The model is still forecasting highs above 40C only one week out this time:

Mickey is gonna be sweaty at Disneyland Paris

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It's kind of cool how you can see the contours of the alps there. There is nothing else cool about that map, temperature wise or in terms of goodness

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Grey is a blasted hellscape of a color that makes me feel a kind of way when looking at that map.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Mr.Radar posted:

People like this are annoying.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Mr.Radar posted:

imagine the smell

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Oglethorpe posted:

imagine the smell

hon hon hon

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
gently caress yeah, we're finally firing back at the Gulf

https://twitter.com/NHC_Atlantic/status/1546104915558182913

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mr. Lobe posted:

It's kind of cool how you can see the contours of the alps there. There is nothing else cool about that map, temperature wise or in terms of goodness

https://climatechange.searca.org/news/harvested/global/the-alps-are-crumbling-the-culprit-climate-change

quote:

Rising temperatures in the Alps have been causing glaciers to melt. This we have known for some time. Yet they are now also causing permafrost (underground sediment that stays permanently frozen in subzero temperatures) to thaw.

And that, on a mountain, can have dangerous side-effects. Rocks loosened from their previously secure perches have come tumbling down mountainsides, damaging roads and houses. The risk of deadly avalanches has increased. And so has the risk of flash floods. There is also a risk of freshwater sources being contaminated by bacteria-rich permafrost leaching into them.

“Permafrost is the glue that holds the mountains together above 2,500 metres,” explained Prof. Karl Krainer, a geologist at the University of Innsbruck in Austria. “Obviously with increased global warming, the level at which permafrost is found is also rising. In the summer months when the permafrost is melting, this is when there is a risk of rockfalls and landslides.”

Snowless mountainsides will also deal a blow to the tourism industries of Alpine countries like Austria and Switzerland. “Climate experts say that the ski season in the Alps will be significantly shorter in the future, with 70 per cent of the current snow cover in Switzerland gone by the end of the century,” reports The Daily Mail in Britain.

:tif:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speaking of glaciers
https://twitter.com/WxNB_/status/1546168404662538241

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

drat, look at all of the new growth forest that the retreat of that glacier has allowed

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

lmao

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
woah it's almost like climate change is being observed as a series of cellphone videos and eventually we'll be the ones filming

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I hope those Europeans get some AC quick!!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

I love how climate scientists have been warning about this sort of stuff for decades and people were just like eh it wont be that bad. We can fix it later!

lmao were so hosed.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
lol what’s that glacier ever done for me, huh?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

silicone thrills posted:

I love how climate scientists have been warning about this sort of stuff for decades and people were just like eh it wont be that bad. We can fix it later!

lmao were so hosed.

My kids'll fix it! :downs:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
I hadn't bothered to look at the tropical storm/hurricane names this year.

I'm placing bets on Earl, Gaston, Shary and Virginie.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

get owen'd

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Oh drat, my name is up this year. Here's hoping I finish off Lake Charles or that one dam in Houston.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

i had a sharty walter once, needed a salve

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Mr.Radar posted:

An American Weather in Paris

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Love posting extreme single models. This is like finding the one shittiest yelp review of a restaurant and running with it.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SirPablo posted:

Love posting extreme single models. This is like finding the one shittiest yelp review of a restaurant and running with it.

it's fun to post with your internet buds

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I would guess it’s like posting that one GFS run that has a tropical storm powering up into a 180-mph monstrosity that makes landfall over NYC. As long as it’s acknowledged that it’s an extreme outlier and we’re all pointing and :stare:ing, it’s all in good fun. Treating it as some sort of median outcome is where the mockery comes in.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

SirPablo posted:

Heat Dome

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

VectorSigma posted:

An American Weather in Paris

Texans bout to find out what 105 heat with the european luxury of no air conditioners feels like when ercot shuts off power right when the sun is directly overhead..........

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

1stGear posted:

Oh drat, my name is up this year. Here's hoping I finish off Lake Charles or that one dam in Houston.

Please Shary, get Lake Charles one last time, for me.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Snowless mountainsides will also deal a blow to the tourism industries of Alpine countries like Austria and Switzerland. “Climate experts say that the ski season in the Alps will be significantly shorter in the future, with 70 per cent of the current snow cover in Switzerland gone by the end of the century,” reports The Daily Mail in Britain.

:tif:

ah, good thing this will be the only effect

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Wolfy posted:

Heat Dome

Another dumb media term.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Wolfy posted:

Heat Dome

Lisa needs braces

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Chief McHeath posted:

I hadn't bothered to look at the tropical storm/hurricane names this year.

I'm placing bets on Earl, Gaston, Shary and Virginie.

Hurricane Tobias blue itself out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Me after about 8 second in: "This person knows they're about to get buried, right?" "WHY ISN'T THIS PERSON MOVING?" "oh gently caress"

Avalanches are not to be hosed with.

Edit: According to the credited twitter account, the person filming escaped with minor injuries.