Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

TK-42-1 posted:

Yeah I think it’s supposed to be actual Kissinger who is apparently a demon, which checks out.

I think labeling them as "demons" is a little excessive. I mean, I wouldn't even say Killinger is Kissinger. For one thing, Killinger is far more empathetic and analytical than Kissinger ever was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

AlternateNu posted:

I think labeling them as "demons" is a little excessive. I mean, I wouldn't even say Killinger is Kissinger. For one thing, Killinger is far more empathetic and analytical than Kissinger ever was.

you mean has ever been, sadly he's still sucking air, he's going to make 100

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

“ Once you’ve been to Cambodia, you’ll never stop wanting to beat Henry Kissinger to death with your bare hands. You will never again be able to open a newspaper and read about that treacherous, prevaricating, murderous scumbag sitting down for a nice chat with Charlie Rose or attending some black-tie affair for a new glossy magazine without choking. Witness what Henry did in Cambodia – the fruits of his genius for statesmanship – and you will never understand why he’s not sitting in the dock at The Hague next to Milošević.”

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

LividLiquid posted:

“ Once you’ve been to Cambodia, you’ll never stop wanting to beat Henry Kissinger to death with your bare hands. You will never again be able to open a newspaper and read about that treacherous, prevaricating, murderous scumbag sitting down for a nice chat with Charlie Rose or attending some black-tie affair for a new glossy magazine without choking. Witness what Henry did in Cambodia – the fruits of his genius for statesmanship – and you will never understand why he’s not sitting in the dock at The Hague next to Milošević.”

Kissinger presented people with lucrative investment and exploitation opportunities. Milosevic did not. That's why Milosevic is in The Hague and Kissinger is going to live to 100+.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

pixaal posted:

you mean has ever been, sadly he's still sucking air, he's going to make 100

Oh, I'm aware. I saw the dude speak at one of my business functions 4 years ago. He was quite unintelligible, and his handler was really loving weird.

There was also a Lithuanian ambassador there who was very attractive, and we all got to see our third level supervisor eyeball the poo poo out of her while they were on stage. :cripes:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

AlternateNu posted:

He was quite unintelligible, and his handler was really loving weird.

Right-Wing types are really, really loathe to admit their 80+ year old idols have some form of dementia.

Thatcher's dementia only came to official public light when her daughter wrote a book to fish for sympathy about having a parent with dementia. Her admittance, I think, puts the start of it in '00 but it's possible it was either early 1990's or maybe even late 80's while she was still in office.

Presumably the monster's hopped up on drugs to mimic some sort of clarity, and the handlers ensure no one gets too close to confirm the sunsetting - if someone can do a good Ronald Reagan voice, they could probably get him to slip up.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

LashLightning posted:

Right-Wing types are really, really loathe to admit their 80+ year old idols have some form of dementia.

Thatcher's dementia only came to official public light when her daughter wrote a book to fish for sympathy about having a parent with dementia. Her admittance, I think, puts the start of it in '00 but it's possible it was either early 1990's or maybe even late 80's while she was still in office.

Presumably the monster's hopped up on drugs to mimic some sort of clarity, and the handlers ensure no one gets too close to confirm the sunsetting - if someone can do a good Ronald Reagan voice, they could probably get him to slip up.

Absolutely. But when I call his handler weird, I don’t mean in the overprotective, self-denial sort of way. The guy’s mannerisms and overall mode of speech were just off. Even when we were engaging him and nowhere near Kissinger, he just acted squirrely as hell.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Kissinger seems like the kind of guy who would Blackwater/Xe/Constellis/Whoever they are this week as close protection detail

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Kissinger presented people with lucrative investment and exploitation opportunities. Milosevic did not. That's why Milosevic is in The Hague and Kissinger is going to live to 100+.
Yup. I post that Anthony Bourdain quote whenever the subject of Kissinger and his many war crimes comes up and it makes me feel better.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

he might have broken the guild's rules on equally matched aggression when he arched allende in the 70s

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Does anybody else invariably, upon seeing a bread knife, hear Phantom Limb saying "Finally, someone who understands that serration is only for bread!"? Just me?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

he might have broken the guild's rules on equally matched aggression when he arched allende in the 70s

Did that exist yet?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pope Guilty posted:

Does anybody else invariably, upon seeing a bread knife, hear Phantom Limb saying "Finally, someone who understands that serration is only for bread!"? Just me?

Shopkeeper! The lady would like to inspect the wusthof.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pope Guilty posted:

If people understood how much of my daily life is interrupted by VB quotes regarding mundane things, I would blush.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

AlternateNu posted:

If people understood how much of my daily life is interrupted by VB quotes regarding mundane things, I would blush.

I have friends ask me “how many VB shirts do you own” in similar tone to watch asking ward how many yaz albums he has.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
any thunder or lightning A storm is coming, so I hope you brought your rubbers! Muwehehehe...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Pope Guilty posted:

Every time I even think about or see a serrated knife.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

"Who taught you how to be a spy, loving GALLAGHER!!" is always bouncing around in my skull, especially when I see someone try to be sneaky in the dumbest way.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

limp_cheese posted:

"Who taught you how to be a spy, loving GALLAGHER!!" is always bouncing around in my skull, especially when I see someone try to be sneaky in the dumbest way.

"We don't need luck. We just need alibis and bodybags" is always on the tip of my tongue when I'm wished good luck.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This and steak fries ("always soggy") are going to be forever associated with the show for me

pablo gbscobar fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 9, 2022

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pope Guilty posted:

As a food nerd I’m disappointed in Limb not knowing that serrated knives are also great for tomatoes. Plus the best line of that scene is clearly “And risk not having enough pickle forks? Never!”

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

qirex posted:

As a food nerd I’m disappointed in Limb not knowing that serrated knives are also great for tomatoes. Plus the best line of that scene is clearly “And risk not having enough pickle forks? Never!”

They're great for eating sausages since the teeth make it easier to get through the casing without the risk of a less-than-perfectly-sharp knife just sort of smushing the sausage instead.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

qirex posted:

Limb knows what's up, if you need a serrated knife for tomatoes, you have dull knives.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

qirex posted:

And suffer the embarrassment of not having enough pickle forks!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I say 'no my dear there is much to procure' more often than is probably healthy for a marriage.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

Yep.

Pope Guilty posted:

They're great for eating sausages since the teeth make it easier to get through the casing without the risk of a less-than-perfectly-sharp knife just sort of smushing the sausage instead.

... I never considered that. Usually I just impale a sausage on a fork, bite off one end, bite off the other end, and then eat the rest. This is for breakfast links, though. For anything bigger, I'm usually eating it on a bun if it isn't already sliced. But I'll keep this in mind.

I'll also add that serrated knives are better for steak than non-serrated. I've tried both, and with the right serrations, you can slice through a steak efficiently and with no screeching if the blade hits the plate. Also, as a guy who takes care of and sharpens his knives, unless you're eating steak on a plastic or wooden cutting board, you're dulling that non-serrated blade every time it hits your ceramic (or glass or whatever) plate.

And on that comment about tomatoes: yes, very sharp edges are great on tomatoes most of the time. But if you don't have the money and/or time to buy and/or maintain sharp blades, serrated blades do a really good job. In commercial kitchens where you use a tomato slicer to do whole tomatoes at a time, those blades are often serrated. And if you have a slightly over-ripe tomato and you need to either cut it up now or throw it away, a serrated blade can make that job a lot easier.

Mr. Nice! posted:

And suffer the embarrassment of not having enough pickle forks!

One of my favorite Limb lines.

Also, if you're ever working on your car's steering components, pickle forks are great for separating ball joints.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

From Limb's perspective: why would you have a less-than-perfectly-sharp knife?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Me too. And every time I bake a loaf of sourdough, I get the Phantom Limb double-whammy of pulling a knife out of a Wusthof butcher block that I found on the sidewalk one day and then using a serrated knife.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I love how this show makes perfectly normal objects talking pieces. You walk into someone's house their kitchen something is weird... you ask did I step into phantom limbs kitchen? And they reveal that they are in fact from the guild of colgious investors.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

The only bit of Venture Bros language I've appropriated is "Double drat it!"

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I use jackassary a LOT.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I have said “holy damnit christmas” once or twice.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they kill clean.
don't let dames get in the way.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

If anyone ever says to me they can't hear something, I will say "because you are sane!"

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Im not deaf, im flummoxed is also wonderful

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I frequently hear the serration line in my head when seeing a serrated knife, yes

On occasion I've also said that young people will undoubtedly taunt us because our trousers are not in style any more

Also one time when I was playing D&D I cast a sleep spell and did my best Dr. Orpheus impression while shouting "SLEEEEEEEEEEEP"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Gangringo posted:

The only bit of Venture Bros language I've appropriated is "Double drat it!"

That is a crime.

Edit: I use "Hot Sandwich!" all the time.

bull3964 posted:

I use jackassary a LOT.

Same. Hell, in this very forum, I routinely use the whole thing: "waylaid by jackassery." Love it.

Sataere posted:

If anyone ever says to me they can't hear something, I will say "because you are sane!"

Yes, but only in Red Mantle's voice.

This has come up in this thread before, but I'll repeat it because I know for a fact it's slowly catching on.

When Dragoon discovers that Fudgie is made out of ice cream, he exclaims, "That is ICED CREAM!!!!!" I know the Simpsons technically did it first, but it wasn't this splendorous. And ever since then, my wife and I have been incorporating this into our vocabulary of multi-word foodstuffs.

For one thing, we never say "ice cream." We're not animals. That is iced cream. Get it right, people. In fact, I was on a group ride today called "The I Scream for Ice Cream" ride, and I've only referred to it by the proper "Iced Cream" name the entire time.

But it works for all other foods. Hammed burger. Heated dog. (We will also accept "hotted dog," and sometimes we prefer that.) Coled slaw. Ribbed eye steak. Gooeyed, buttered cake. A baconned, lettuced, and tomatoed sandwich. You get the idea.

The great thing is that our adult autistic son has picked up on it and comes up with his own variations. He knows what's up.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 10, 2022

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wouldn't it be a Heated Dog?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2seXWeEnkY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014