Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
In the past I have said that I was looking to move because the company knew its market very well and produced really solid work, but I just wanted to get another angle on the field.

This was a very creative phrasing of "they're lazy and stagnant and turn in half-assed reports that their clients ignore year after year anyway" but the interviewer bought it so who cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Hi guys, I should've figured a thread like this existed, I don't know why I didn't think to check for it.

I've been interviewing for Contract Manager positions and similar roles and for the most part when I get to the interviews, I'm kinda killing it, but after that everything goes quiet and I don't hear back at all.

The largest gap so far has been around a month and half. I've sent out my one follow up and haven't heard anything. For the most part these are large companies.

My feeling is that the economy is very wobbly right now and a lot of companies are rethinking mid-low level positions, but also maybe you guys can tell me I'm delusional and that if I haven't heard back in a month and a half then it's not gonna happen.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 7, 2022

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just had an interview with a nice company in the area but I feel I flubbed the interview.

I am trying to go from tax guy to staff accountant. I feel like the interviewer, while very nice, did not think my skills transferred well.

I am tried my best to explain everything. I am business accountant with over 200 clients. While many are small, I do work on larger ones that are multimillion dollars. Almost none of them have their own bookkeepers. My staff and I do the books, prepare income statements, balance sheets, statememts of cash flow, review each other's work, as well as handle payroll and sales taxes. I of course mentioned my tax work and how much research I performed while doing so that I can handle tax work.

They were really focused on my Big 4 experience but it was only 1 year. It made things awkward because I didn't stick around for senior. Not really my choice in the matter. It got extra awkward when they asked and I had to mention that part of it was related to a toxic manager who was later fired for harrashment towards junior staff, especially women. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it but I thought I quit would sound worse.

I just want out but I can really tell he didn't think any of my work counted because I was in a different sphere. I do so much research, bookkeeping, complying with laws, income projections, and statement generation. I don't feel that just because I do all that for taxes that I can slide into doing all of it for just one client. I handle the books of so many clients. I know working on just one is different but not wholly incompatible.

It's disheartening.

Does anyone have any advice on how to better sell myself?

Edit: Let me add a follow-up. Not two seconds after the interview, I got a call from a nearby municipal government for the comptroller position I applied for. What should I do differently there?

Covok fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 6, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I think you'd do well to consider the possibility that the interviewer knew before you arrived that you will not be hired and was just blowing off steam. It's aggravating but the fact is a lot of interviews are pure box-checking theater and the manager already knows who they're going to hire.

poo poo happens. Next hand.

I agree that quickly bouncing out of a Big 4 is going to have to be explained better but I don't know your industry well enough to give useful specific advice about that.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think you'd do well to consider the possibility that the interviewer knew before you arrived that you will not be hired and was just blowing off steam. It's aggravating but the fact is a lot of interviews are pure box-checking theater and the manager already knows who they're going to hire.

poo poo happens. Next hand.

I agree that quickly bouncing out of a Big 4 is going to have to be explained better but I don't know your industry well enough to give useful specific advice about that.

His response to the statement about the Big 4 was basically that he saw that a lot and that people like that usually get weeded out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you still don't have a narrative on how and why your skills transfer, why you are making this move, what you want to get out of it, and what you will deliver in the role

without these four critical pieces you will literally never interview successfully

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Covok posted:

They were really focused on my Big 4 experience but it was only 1 year. It made things awkward because I didn't stick around for senior. Not really my choice in the matter. It got extra awkward when they asked and I had to mention that part of it was related to a toxic manager who was later fired for harrashment towards junior staff, especially women. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it but I thought I quit would sound worse.

https://www.rainn.org/news/you-left-your-job-because-sexual-harassment-what-now This page has some stuff talking about dealing with that sort of thing in the job search, and some of the advice seems similar to stuff I've seen around.

I hope your next one goes better.

Covok
May 27, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you still don't have a narrative on how and why your skills transfer,

I'll tell you what I told him. I work on between 150 to 200 business clients in a variety of industries. I do full service work. I prepare books, perform internal audits, prepare financial statements, prepare projections, and ensure the books comply with GAAP and other financial standards. While most of my clients are small, some are larger. I feel the fundamentals of that work applies to the position of the staff accountant as you outlined.

I even asked what a day in a life was there and connected it to my own work.

quote:

why you are making this move,

I am looking to move from working on multiple companies to a single company. Working on multiple companies can lead to issues because a lot of work is after the fact and clients do not always reach out to you before making serious decisions. By working at a single company, I can best ensure quality is maintained. I am also interested in moving away from the ebb and flow of public at this stage in my life.

quote:

what you want to get out of it
This didn't really come up, but I want to do my best to work with a single company to produce a high quality deliverable. I want to know a company well enough by focusing on a single entity that the questions and issues that come from working on multiple entites is no longer a factor. I also would like a better work-life balance situation.

quote:

And what you will deliver in the role

I will bring a variety of skills to ensure proper compliance. Be it my experience maintaining books, reviewing others work, training staff, my history handling tax research that can be moved easily to other types of research, and otherwise using my knowledge to prepara proper statements, a well maintained book, and one that complies with all professional standards of due diligence.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I have no idea if that's what you're looking for, tbh. I am still not 100% sure what you mean. Some examples would help.

Also, it hurts when people poke holes in it too.

"I worked on 150-200 business clients."

"Those are just small mom and pop places, though. You could never work on that many real businesses."

"Well, most yes. But I work with a construction company that's multimilion dollar with over 50 employees, a mirror company with 30 and also multimillion, and a multimillion dollar locksmith company with 25 employees and I do the payroll cor that one. So, I do work with larger clients. I also feel that the fundamentals of working with these clients still transfer over."

"You probably never have to do research though."

"When you work in so many different industries, you constantly have to do research. Many different industries means many different rules. And you can't know them all without constant research."

"But that's all tax research. We do GAAP, FAAR. It's all more complicated than what you deal with. What research software do you even have?"

"My employer doesn't offer one. When I research, I use books that I keep up to date on the subject matter and the IRS official guidance and instructions. And while I agree that the work is different, I feel the fundamentals that go into performing research is what really matters."

I am paraphrasing, but a lot of the interview was that. And it was all just for a senior accountant position that literally does what I already do: oversee a junior and prepare statements. The guy got hung up on how he knows so many public accountants and how people like me usually start their own businesses and never go to their side of the industry. And I just tried to explain I had worked a lot already in that type of work and was interested in purusing the auditing side further.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's pretty clear what the interviewer's attitude toward you was: that you're a low effort washout that couldn't hack it in the big leagues and want an easier job where you can coast.

Totally unfair? Maybe. Probably. But the really important question is: is that just this one person's perception, or is it likely to be the perception of most of the people you interview with?

I gotta say, and I think this is what KYOON is getting at, if that was my initial assumption about you as one of the ten candidates I'm interviewing, even the way you're phrasing things in this thread would not dissuade me from it. I think a step back to the conceptual level (also what KYOON was getting at) is necessary and helpful here. You're trying to cross over in a strongly segmented industry, I'm given to understand--you need really positive reasons why you're super pumped at the opportunity to do so and your skills will make you awesome at it. Because you're swimming against the current of people's assumptions that you're slinking away from taxguyland in shame and defeat.

I'm sorry--I may not be phrasing this well. Is there some particular element of your previous work that's super relevant to the work you're seeking, that you can zoom in on hard and sell the idea of "this, THIS is what I really love about my work, it's what I'm passionate about and great at, and I'm really looking for the opportunity to focus more on that"?

But also don't overreact to one interview. If the way you're representing it is accurate then that interviewer was weirdly adversarial and should probably just be written off as an rear end in a top hat that was never interested in hiring you.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Covok posted:

Also, it hurts when people poke holes in it too.

"I worked on 150-200 business clients."

"Those are just small mom and pop places, though. You could never work on that many real businesses."
You can get out ahead of this by saying something like "ranging from <teeny> to <lolhueg>" and then explain why you enjoyed working on their scale of business the most. Back it up with whatever challenge you actually enjoyed for that scale client and you should be golden.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's pretty clear what the interviewer's attitude toward you was: that you're a low effort washout that couldn't hack it in the big leagues and want an easier job where you can coast.

Sigh, maybe? I don't know. The thing is that my job directly tells me how much everyone makes versus the amount of work put into it. Maybe I'm just tired of working 90-100 hour weeks for three months without days off (even Saturday and Sunday) for a salary that is now 20k-30k less than what you get if you were to apply to my job today.

I am considered amazing at my current job. I constatly get new clients who want me. I secured another big cluent worth 35k. But I see none of the money. All my success does it bring people to my boss.

And it's not like I can just leave and start my.own business. I have a two year nonsoliciation agreement. These clients belong to a major company, not me, even if most would quit if I left. The company knows it too. They told me I can come and go as I please and keep giving me benefits to try to incentive me (come in later whenever, bigger office, work from home whenever during off season), other than more money. But the stress and lifestyle suck. And the money is increasingly becoming an issue, especially since the ended the bonus system which means all my extra work doesn't net me a dime anymore.

Like 60k is too little for this poo poo. Other tax offices are willing to pay me 90k to 105k, they send me emails constantly. Headhunters call me coldcall style all the time. But this lifestyle drives me crazy.

I just kind of hate this entire industry? I excel at it, but I despise. Everyone relies on me. I do all the research, I manage A/R for the office, I train people, I approve days off, I handle collections, I do advertising, answer endless questions because I seem to be the only one who knows anything. And I'm not the manager. The manager refuses to do it and gives all the work to me and pays me no extra.

quote:

Totally unfair? Maybe. Probably. But the really important question is: is that just this one person's perception, or is it likely to be the perception of most of the people you interview with?

From who I talked to? Not in this part of the industry but very much so outside.

quote:

I gotta say, and I think this is what KYOON is getting at, if that was my initial assumption about you as one of the ten candidates I'm interviewing, even the way you're phrasing things in this thread would not dissuade me from it. I think a step back to the conceptual level (also what KYOON was getting at) is necessary and helpful here. You're trying to cross over in a strongly segmented industry, I'm given to understand--you need really positive reasons why you're super pumped at the opportunity to do so and your skills will make you awesome at it. Because you're swimming against the current of people's assumptions that you're slinking away from taxguyland in shame and defeat.

I don't what else to tell people? I am just tired of getting thise office out of fire after fire. Boss lady keeps over promising and then I have to deliver. She bought 75 new business clients this year and just dumped them on me. They were from Florida. I never even met them before. It happend middle of the season. It's not an isolated incident. When everyone in the NYC office retired on the same day without advanced notice, I got stuck with 50% of the 300 clients who stayed. It's not defeat. I won. I am just tied of being the janitor

quote:

I'm sorry--I may not be phrasing this well. Is there some particular element of your previous work that's super relevant to the work you're seeking, that you can zoom in on hard and sell the idea of "this, THIS is what I really love about my work, it's what I'm passionate about and great at, and I'm really looking for the opportunity to focus more on that"?

This job was literally what I do. I drove that home in the end. Asked him to walk me through a day and I just told him how I have done everyone of those things for the last five years. Giving specific examples of how I researched for individuals and businesses, the nightmare I sorted out when a big c corp took 500k out without telling us, and how I saved a client 45k by reviewing their payroll and finding out they never took the ERTC. Or how I was constantly researching the covid laws and taught the entire office how they worked.

quote:

But also don't overreact to one interview. If the way you're representing it is accurate then that interviewer was weirdly adversarial and should probably just be written off as an rear end in a top hat that was never interested in hiring you.

He wasn't that mean in tone. I am exaggerating how it felt. But he certainly had an air of disbelief and was constantly drilling down. Even started asking me basic technical questions like if any of my clients had prepaid expenses and how I handled them. Seemed like he was trying to sus out if I knew how they worked so I told him the correct answer (I checked later). He kept bringing up people he knew who worked in those companies and people he knew and his connections, but I didn't know any of them because a lot of big companies are really segemented on who you meet.

Sorry, this turned into me venting. The first paragraph just hit me.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hey, I'm with you. You are absolutely right to feel taken advantage of, taken for granted, and desperately underpaid.

I think you'll find something a lot better soon if you keep to it. But you'll find something better, sooner, if you can find a way to keep all that well-justified exasperation and exhaustion locked away in a dungeon when you talk to prospective employers. It bled through in your forum posts, and I would bet that it's bleeding through in your interviews.

The fundamental challenge here is that you are looking to get paid more for less work compared to your current job, and that's absolutely a fair and wise thing for you to want--but you are not allowed to say that, you're not allowed even to imply it, in an interview. The trick is to come across as a super positive, energetic, optimistic person and and absolute inexhaustible workhorse--then when you get the job, don't ever get caught working at anywhere near your full capacity.

Good things are ahead for you, just keep at it :cheers:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

interviewing is selling yourself and to sell anything you have to connect to the customer's actual need. you need to find the question within the question they asked and answer that, not the question they just asked you. you have to be both enthusiastic and specific.

like the research question - You stop at defending your experience. Below is hokey and exaggerated for effect but when someone challenges your experience you have to do more than defend in general terms. Your answer is a lot more powerful if it includes an actual specific anecdote and a connect back to what you want out of the job.

"Oh, I actually do research all the time because I have to keep up on all these different industries that my clients operate in. Why just the other day a client had PROBLEM I DID NOT UNDERSTAND, BRIEF CONTEXT, so I went to RESOURCE X Y Z and spent some time understanding the situation better. Turns out SOMETHING SLIGHTLY INTERESTING OR UNEXPECTED, ha! Learning new things is a really rewarding part of the job for me, and I'd love to be able to proactively focus in and really become an expert on ACCOUNTING PRACTICES AS THEY APPLY TO YOUR SPECIFIC BUSINESS rather than taking such a generalist, as-need approach."

this could just be a bad interview but honestly all your posts reek of desperation and people can sense that. i know your current situation is bad and untenable but you need to work on how you frame your capabilities. right now you do a checklist. it's not about the checklist, its about what you as an individual can do to meet their needs.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

You can get out ahead of this by saying something like "ranging from <teeny> to <lolhueg>" and then explain why you enjoyed working on their scale of business the most. Back it up with whatever challenge you actually enjoyed for that scale client and you should be golden.

I can probably do that. That's a good idea.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Hey, I'm with you. You are absolutely right to feel taken advantage of, taken for granted, and desperately underpaid.

I think you'll find something a lot better soon if you keep to it. But you'll find something better, sooner, if you can find a way to keep all that well-justified exasperation and exhaustion locked away in a dungeon when you talk to prospective employers. It bled through in your forum posts, and I would bet that it's bleeding through in your interviews.

The fundamental challenge here is that you are looking to get paid more for less work compared to your current job, and that's absolutely a fair and wise thing for you to want--but you are not allowed to say that, you're not allowed even to imply it, in an interview. The trick is to come across as a super positive, energetic, optimistic person and and absolute inexhaustible workhorse--then when you get the job, don't ever get caught working at anywhere near your full capacity.

Good things are ahead for you, just keep at it :cheers:

I felt bad right after I sent that message. It started just me answering the questions, but a lot of my stress fell out bit by bit. My parents aren't too supportive. My dad is, but my mom literally laughed at me and told me I should just be happy where I am. She worked at a bookstore once for 40 years until it shut down and refuses to leave her current job despite them constantly making her life hell. So, I don't feel like listening to her, but it still bugs me. My dad on the other hand did stay at his job for his entire career, but, since then, he has a habit of just stopping showing up to his current jobs now that he's retired the second they stop interesting him. Long story short, it's not so much that I'm desperate, but the fact this isn't easier just makes me wonder why? All of these jumps I'm honestly overqualified for. The test questions they use are so easy to understand that it honestly confuses me why they are even asked. \

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

interviewing is selling yourself and to sell anything you have to connect to the customer's actual need. you need to find the question within the question they asked and answer that, not the question they just asked you. you have to be both enthusiastic and specific.

like the research question - You stop at defending your experience. Below is hokey and exaggerated for effect but when someone challenges your experience you have to do more than defend in general terms. Your answer is a lot more powerful if it includes an actual specific anecdote and a connect back to what you want out of the job.

"Oh, I actually do research all the time because I have to keep up on all these different industries that my clients operate in. Why just the other day a client had PROBLEM I DID NOT UNDERSTAND, BRIEF CONTEXT, so I went to RESOURCE X Y Z and spent some time understanding the situation better. Turns out SOMETHING SLIGHTLY INTERESTING OR UNEXPECTED, ha! Learning new things is a really rewarding part of the job for me, and I'd love to be able to proactively focus in and really become an expert on ACCOUNTING PRACTICES AS THEY APPLY TO YOUR SPECIFIC BUSINESS rather than taking such a generalist, as-need approach."

this could just be a bad interview but honestly all your posts reek of desperation and people can sense that. i know your current situation is bad and untenable but you need to work on how you frame your capabilities. right now you do a checklist. it's not about the checklist, its about what you as an individual can do to meet their needs.

Maybe. I mean, I don't present myself. Everyone says "oh people can tell," but, listen, I am a trans bisexual leftist autistic Hispanic and no one knows most of those things. From day one, I'm just use to deadening myself and killing my own emotions. My face doesn't even naturally show emotions and my voice is pretty flat. A lot of my customers think I'm greek. No one knows I'm bi or trans other than those I tell. I'm used to out of necessity and fear of violence hiding who I really am. This is not a good thing, but I don't think stuff bleeds through for me as much as people think. I am pretty good at never showing what I think about people or the world. Honestly, if half my clients knew what I actually believed, not a single person right of center would come.

But, okay, okay, enough loving around I'll engage with what you said.

Okay, so what skills do I bring to table, is that it?
  • 5 years bookkeeping experience
  • 5 years tax experience
  • A capacity to understand complex problems and learn and research under tight time deadlines with little to no assistance from anyone else
  • Training junior staff
  • Entity formation consultation'
  • Auditing experience
  • Management experience
  • I was only person who could learn any of the new softwares, be it the A/R software or tax software so I had to teach my bosses how to use it
  • Second hand experience with retirement planning
  • Understanding of multistate tax laws
  • Sales tax experience
  • payroll tax
  • I'm easy to get a long with
  • I always take work off other people's desk
  • From what I've seen, I dress professionally every day. I got a co-worker who can't even keep his shirt tucked in his pants and never wears a tie, even when meeting with clients. He often forgets to zip his zipper too, no matter how many times I remind him.
  • People like my work so much that I grew my client list 2.5 times from referrals alone. I don't do normal advertising. I just give out business cards. People just like me that much they want to come to me. And that means I do good work.
  • I'm probably the most ethical person in the office.
  • I have gotten my clients out of so much bullshit because these dumbasses do stupid poo poo like take 500,000 dollars out of their c-corp without talking to me first and then spend it all to buy a house for themselves and I have to bend over backwards to make this all kosher after the fact, while they bitch and moan and scream while I'm saving them from jail
  • I go above and beyond. At this point, I'm the only one in the office who really knows how all our software works, how to fix the printer, keeps track on our office supplies, knows all the admin stuff we got to do with internal accounting, etc.
  • I handled collections and manage the office's A/R myself

There's probably more things but this is what I thought of so far.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

No!!! Holy poo poo I don’t know how to be any more clear about this it is NOT a list of skills it is a STORY about what you do and why you want to do the thing you are interviewing for and why that is the most natural thing in the world and they would be dumb not to hire you to do it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

as a possibly more tactical piece of advice, if you are looking for something to shape your narrative moving from multi-client portfolio to single client in house I might suggest:

1) A desire to go deep in to a client's business and really be able to tackle every little detail and be proactive rather than reactive in identifying needs and making change. With so many clients you just feel spread a bit too thin and unable to do a lot more than react to requirements.

2) Moving away from business development. You have been successful at growing the business and are really good at it, but the time spent there detracts you from what you really like to do: which is accounting. You really like accounting, and while growing the business was an interesting challenge, you learned a lot, and did very well at it, it's not what you want to be focused on long term and staying in your corner of the industry means you have to keep doing that.

3) Developing industry knowledge - you like accounting but you're interested in learning more of the business context and developing a more holistic perspective of the business and really understanding how your work in accounting can help drive business results.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

as a possibly more tactical piece of advice, if you are looking for something to shape your narrative moving from multi-client portfolio to single client in house I might suggest:

1) A desire to go deep in to a client's business and really be able to tackle every little detail and be proactive rather than reactive in identifying needs and making change. With so many clients you just feel spread a bit too thin and unable to do a lot more than react to requirements.

2) Moving away from business development. You have been successful at growing the business and are really good at it, but the time spent there detracts you from what you really like to do: which is accounting. You really like accounting, and while growing the business was an interesting challenge, you learned a lot, and did very well at it, it's not what you want to be focused on long term and staying in your corner of the industry means you have to keep doing that.

3) Developing industry knowledge - you like accounting but you're interested in learning more of the business context and developing a more holistic perspective of the business and really understanding how your work in accounting can help drive business results.

ungh this positive rewording makes me positively tumescent

EDIT: We say often ITT that interviewing is just sales: use sales tactics and dont get discouraged. The most frequent problem I see ITT is a failure to understand what the buyer wants, instead choosing to focus on what you're selling. If you understand what people are buying and how to tailor what you say to that understanding, then you'll have more success.

The book "Beyond Reason" by Fisher is not selling focused, but for the people reading this thinking "I am not good at sales oh no" it provides really tactical advice about how to listen and respond in a way that gets what you want.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 7, 2022

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this could just be a bad interview but honestly all your posts reek of desperation and people can sense that.

KYOON speaks truth here. As someone who just successfully moved from one career path into a new role, I can say that things changed for me when I stopped running FROM the job that was killing me and started running TOWARDS something new.

I hated the work I was doing and every day in the office killed my soul. I started my search applying for anything I might be a fit for and ended up in a lot of interviews where I couldn't really justify why I wanted the role. Once I made a mental shift that I wanted to run towards something specific that I was excited about, my interviews went so much better. Being enthusiastic, I mean genuinely excited about the role I was interviewing for was a huge shift in my approach and helped me land a dream position.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

CarForumPoster posted:

ungh this positive rewording makes me positively tumescent

:gritin:

Covok
May 27, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is useful advice. Tbh, I think it might be easier at my next interview. I was selected for an interview for a village Comptroller. I actually am quite a bit civic minded so I think I could say the following.

1. I care a lot about my community. While this town is adjacent to my own, I am very interested in ensuring our island prospers and grows.

2. I enjoy accounting work but I always felt the sales aspect of my job distracted from that role. Working in a government postion, helping a town manage is financial situation sounds more rewarding to me.

3. I would love to help the town board in their operations. I genuinely love the idea of helping my fellow citizen and, even if its indirect, keeping track of the town's budget would allow me to do my part for my fellow citizen. I have been a citizen of the island almost my entire life and have a lot of pride in it.

From the context of the comptroller for the village of [REDACTED] that I am interviewing for on Monday, is this checklist closer to what you mean?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That rah-rah I Love My Community stuff only works on a certain kind of person. If your interviewer turns out to be a jaded 25 year government job vet they're just going to roll their eyes.

I'm not saying don't mention it at all, it's definitely good to work a "I love the opportunity to benefit my community and not just a corporation" in there. Just don't make it the centerpiece of your presentation. The centerpiece of your presentation should be how much this person interviewing you is going to loving love having you work for them because of X, Y, and Z.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
How do you talk about geography and family being a driver for moving? Do you just talk about it frankly?

I'm sure nobody from my job is a goon, lol, so for context:

I am n Bakersfield, CA. Huge chud town. My wife is Queer and I'm Queer-ish and this place sucks. She got a job on the central coast so I'm looking for work there. I don't want her to have to commute and spend the night every week.

When I started my current job, we were on track to make Bakersfield our home, because of her job (she is a therapist so very network dependent and you typically work where your clients live). I got my current job and its been ok.

When we settled here, my family was an hour and a half away and my brother didn't have any kids. My wife had bother her parents and they were in SLO. Since then, she lost her mom, my parents and brother moved to the central coast, and we have two cool new nephews that we barely get to see.

Also, I've lived in hot rear end lovely places my whole loving life and I'm done with 112 degree summers.

None of this sounds like real things to talk about in an interview even though it's a huge driver for me. It doesn't seem professional, I guess?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
"Our families have relocated, (and if you want to share) one of my partner's parents passed away, so we made the decision to relocate closer to family."

Something like that is fine and tends to play well.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

"I'm moving to be closer to family" is like the most common and legitimate moving reason on earth

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Covok posted:

This is useful advice. Tbh, I think it might be easier at my next interview. I was selected for an interview for a village Comptroller. I actually am quite a bit civic minded so I think I could say the following.

1. I care a lot about my community. While this town is adjacent to my own, I am very interested in ensuring our island prospers and grows.

2. I enjoy accounting work but I always felt the sales aspect of my job distracted from that role. Working in a government postion, helping a town manage is financial situation sounds more rewarding to me.

3. I would love to help the town board in their operations. I genuinely love the idea of helping my fellow citizen and, even if its indirect, keeping track of the town's budget would allow me to do my part for my fellow citizen. I have been a citizen of the island almost my entire life and have a lot of pride in it.

From the context of the comptroller for the village of [REDACTED] that I am interviewing for on Monday, is this checklist closer to what you mean?

Pretty good - a lot better for sure! I will echo Eric's comment:

Eric the Mauve posted:

The centerpiece of your presentation should be how much this person interviewing you is going to loving love having you work for them because of X, Y, and Z.

I know this isn't exactly what you would say but here are a few thoughts. 1 is perfectly good, you can link stuff about how you have a lot of pride and want to help the community etc here from 3. then for 2 I would not focus so much on how it would be rewarding for you (since you've already hit that in 1), but how it would allow you to deliver even more value for the town and develop skills/capabilities in some specific new areas. On 3, I would make sure you use more active ownership words and again deemphasize the fellow citizens part. "keeping track of the town's budget" is a lot worse than "managing" or "controlling" the towns' finances even if functionally the work is the same. Government in small towns also tends to focus on making sure that money is spent well and not wasted, so I would emphasize your passion for/interest in that as well.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have an interview coming up where the role calls for having good negotiating skills within the context of commercial contracts. The position didn't specifically call for experience in tech.

However, I also know that the profile of the interviewer, and of the company in general, is geared towards tech and that having experience in tech related contracts would be a huge plus.

The reality is that most of my experience and "big wins" come from stuff like real estate and commercial agreements in general. My experience in tech agreements is for small deals, but I know enough about tech in general that I can confidently talk about the subject, since it's what interests me outside of just work.

Do I:

a) Present my "big wins" and tell the interviewer that while I might not have that much practical tech experience, I am an experienced negotiator and familiar enough on the topic that I am confident I can translate my current skills to the tech industry.

or,

b) "Play up" the tech deals I've participated in (not lie, just imply that they were higher stakes than they really were) but also attempt to steer the conversation into the topic of tech knowledge in general and away from the specifics of each deal.

For additional context, I'm confident I can sell the "played up" examples, but I think there's a risk that anyone listening to me might wonder why all of that isn't reflected in my CV since there I geared it more towards general negotiating experience.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Prepare both and ask questions to figure out which is more important (or none of the above, something else which is also very possible)

carnassials
Jan 5, 2013
What's the etiquette for interview attire now? I'm planning on some in person interviews for Senior QA positions soon, and I lost my old suit to an ex. Would a crisp button down and dress pants and shoes pull it off? I feel like thats a solid match for what people in QA wear during FDA audits and fresher than a suit, but maybe interviews are still considered more formal.

I can def grab a suit between now and then, but not some perfectly tailored outfit.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Depends on the company and the region. Ask whoever you've been speaking to so far.

Edit: I haven't worn a suit for an interview ever. Always a button down and slacks

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i feel like if youre an adult who presents as male you should probably own at least A suit so i'd take this opportunity to go get one

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I wore a suit to my last job interviews and got the job, but it was also appropriate for the employer and office I was applying to.

I think it totally depends on the context of role and company culture.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

carnassials posted:

What's the etiquette for interview attire now? I'm planning on some in person interviews for Senior QA positions soon, and I lost my old suit to an ex. Would a crisp button down and dress pants and shoes pull it off? I feel like thats a solid match for what people in QA wear during FDA audits and fresher than a suit, but maybe interviews are still considered more formal.

I can def grab a suit between now and then, but not some perfectly tailored outfit.

I don't think anyone will fault you for wearing a suit. That said there are times where making the optimal attire decision means you don't wear a suit. I like to be "one step nicer than the person making the decision"

For engineering for example:
At Apple, that a LS brooks brothers button down, maybe a thin tie if fashionable, leather shoes that match your leather belt, no jacket. You'll get points for style.
At Lockheed for an individual contributor role, that's a sport coat.
At Lockheed for a program manager, director, etc. wear a suit.
At a nice architecture firm, where the managers wear a dress shirt and tie b/c they regularly present to customers, that's a suit.

You can wear a suit to any of these, and it wouldn't be passe, but you'll stick out at the first two.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 11, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I wore a suit to my last job interviews and got the job, but it was also appropriate for the employer and office I was applying to.

I think it totally depends on the context of role and company culture.

This is the real answer and it's totally normal and common to ask the recruiter/hiring manager you're talking to.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i feel like if youre an adult who presents as male you should probably own at least A suit so i'd take this opportunity to go get one
TBH no matter how you present a good suit is probably going to be useful someday. I had to sprint around London trying to scrape together funeral attire a couple of weeks back because I had to travel for one, and all my "good" clothes are stuffed into a wardrobe in my parent's house back in Dublin.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I think the comptroller interview went well. Every time they brought something up, I tied it back to a previous experience the best I could. I was a little nervous so I think that did come through in my voice but not terribly so. One of the women kept smiling when I talked so I think she liked my answers, especially when I talked about being civic minded and liking the idea that my work would help them finish the park. Everyone seemed nice. I really hope it goes well from here. They said they call me this week for a second interview and they wanted to do it soon to wrap things up. I'd be meeting with the mayor.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Good! Interview practice is always good.

Municipalities can be slow moving, just as a FYI. Don't expect rapid pace.

Covok
May 27, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Good! Interview practice is always good.

Municipalities can be slow moving, just as a FYI. Don't expect rapid pace.

They said they wanted it all wrapped up by this week and I'm meeting the mayor next time so fingers crossed. It would be awesome to be able to leave my job in August.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Covok posted:

They said they wanted it all wrapped up by this week and I'm meeting the mayor next time so fingers crossed. It would be awesome to be able to leave my job in August.

sure - i'm telling you not to count on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Had my interview at BigConsultingFirm. My original interviewer didn’t show and was replaced by someone else last minute who I don’t think was part of the decision making team.

30 min interview that lasted 15 minutes total, I ended up dropping most of my prepared questions because it was clear that they wanted to wrap it up asap.

Pros: they explicitly told me that I checked a the boxes for the position and would be saying so to the original interviewer.

The interview felt rushed but it felt clear to me that it wasn’t something personal.

Cons: this person is not a decision maker so I’m fairly sure at best I earned the right to get a redo of the original interview.

Hopefully the original interviewer will decide the role isn’t worth redoing the interview and move me along.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 11, 2022