Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

genericnick posted:

Didn't Japan actually send soldiers to Iraq? What would the material effect of a change in the constitution be except the big moral boost for the right wing?

That's right, essentially art. 9 only stops Japan from declaring war and having an army, but both of those dispositions were easily sidestepped by simply calling your army a "self-defense force" and your intervention in Iraq a "peacekeeping mission". Japan has one of the highest military expenses in the world, and imo the LDP and friends are happy as they are right now. But still, there are some obvious advantages to having an army that can project power outside your borders, and said art. 9 reforms will be used essentially to gently caress up China and the Koreas, since Japan has some territorial disputes with them. I don't think it's impossible that such reforms will never happen, but imo both the public and the LDP MPs don't have the appetite for a conflict against China or SK right now, though that can probably change in the near future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

If anything could unite the Koreas it'd be a remilitarized Japanese state. I can see it now. A joint DPRK-ROK mission to the Dokdo islands... oh god I have to go to the bathroom! 💦

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

One Weird Trick

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/CENTCOM/status/1545404565947924482?s=20&t=Bj55M3jz3b_hTsj1W03wDA

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

wickremasinghe is up to some poo poo, because he is always up to some poo poo, but has also correctly identified the lane that is most likely to keep him, personally, in power

at the moment that includes resigning in preparation for a new unity government

Ousting Gotobaya isn't sufficient, and arguably it wasn't even necessary, but I'm not gonna complain too hard about an apparently-grassrootsy revolt removing a president who Has Done hosed Up and is also not a very nice person. I did not expect his resignation to be as peaceful-ish not full of dead protesters as it appears to be. still three days left i guess

Sri Lanka needs foreign currency immediately, and a lot of it. There aren't really any non-terrible ways to resolve this barring it all being no-strings international aid, and SL can't really control whether or not they get that short of prostrating themselves and hoping for the best. If you import almost all your petroleum (and quite a lot of your fertilizer) and your foreign reserves run dry, you don't get any more of the thing that makes vehicles go or the thing that turns dirt into food.

gently caress off and don't post here

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
anybody got that tara reade quote

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Is the push for remilitarizing Japan driven by the belief that colonialism may be the only way out of the Lost Decades? I'm trying to think of motives that don't boil down to base nationalism.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Is the push for remilitarizing Japan driven by the belief that colonialism may be the only way out of the Lost Decades? I'm trying to think of motives that don't boil down to base nationalism.

Hey now there's always anti communism!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

if the desire to get out of the lost decade is the reason behind the push for militarism then they are a bit too late. Everyone else has already followed them into it

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

TeenageArchipelago posted:

if the desire to get out of the lost decade is the reason behind the push for militarism then they are a bit too late. Everyone else has already followed them into it

They were too late for the first round of colonialism and got a few good decades out of it. You're never too old to follow your dreams~

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Who are they gonna colonize? The big red apple is the workshop of the world, the two koreas either have nukes or are in an alliance with japan and the filipinos have too much swag.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i believe one of the reasons for the big push to militarism is currently japanese law prohibits selling weapons overseas and japan wants to get in on the MIC racket

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Tankbuster posted:

Who are they gonna colonize? The big red apple is the workshop of the world, the two koreas either have nukes or are in an alliance with japan and the filipinos have too much swag.

Space

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if they want to turn their JICA racket into something more profitable with military enforcement tbh.

JICA is the Japan Internation Cooperation Agency, their version of USAID. Adding weapons sales and military cooperation to existing international programs isn't a far stretch. They are one of the larger government aid agency that works internationally with large investments in Asia and Africa. Going from benign aid programs (which itself has been historically useless/unproductive to the recipient nation) that have good relationship with the recipient nation states to something more aggressive with military and direct economic agreements could be something new

ughhhh has issued a correction as of 23:53 on Jul 10, 2022

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Whats JICA?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

yellowcar posted:

i believe one of the reasons for the big push to militarism is currently japanese law prohibits selling weapons overseas and japan wants to get in on the MIC racket

This makes sense. From a warped point of view they're practically leaving money on the table.

Tankbuster posted:

Africa, probably. But even the clock on neocolonialism is winding down there, with the French getting kicked out of Mali and the CAR. America has made a lot of investment into AFRICOM, so maybe the Japanese could sell their own security services? None of it is viable, but feasibility isn't really something these people care about.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/OliverJia1014/status/1545808415934390273

Lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lot of guys are running with that line like Abe didn't literally say in his own book that his grandfather did nothing wrong.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
https://mobile.twitter.com/TheDragonFeeder/status/1545403413315194880

looks like the usual suspects have settled on an explanation for why hollywood cant sell their poo poo in china that doesnt require them to admit that its because american movies loving suck now

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Abe just wanted to move on by paying homage to the men behind the sun

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Maybe Japan wants to swoop in when NATO balkanizes Russia and grab Vladivostok.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Weka posted:

assadism is a curse

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere 2: The Return of the Comeback

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

how come Korea makes such good movies and tv but America’s are such trash? they make parasite and squid games, and all we get is moronic garbage like Disney and marvel. obviously Americans are morons who slurp that garbage up, but are South Koreans not also morons? what gives?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
japan is going to be a leader in NATO 2: Pacific Harder

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

nigel thornberry posted:

how come Korea makes such good movies and tv but America’s are such trash? they make parasite and squid games, and all we get is moronic garbage like Disney and marvel. obviously Americans are morons who slurp that garbage up, but are South Koreans not also morons? what gives?

its not hard to make a good movie when your script isn't made to pass checklists from executive focus groups

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Also not hard to make a good movie when your dumb nephew isn't the one writing the scripts. I don't know how bad nepotism is in Korean cinema, but afaik the Game of Thrones debacle is fairly common in the US, where the directors were only in their position because daddy was a financier or something like that

e: also if you're only looking at the bits of Korean cinema that gain recognition in the west you're going to have a warped view on the quality.

TeenageArchipelago has issued a correction as of 01:55 on Jul 11, 2022

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

AnimeIsTrash posted:

it's time for the red sun to rise again

the sun is just a kind of star so...

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Delta-Wye posted:

we gotta BULK UP to fight somebody much larger that supply most of our food and goods, because the white guy across the ocean said they will help

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Weka posted:

the sun will rise again over the Kurils

nigel thornberry posted:

Americans mostly get exposed to the A24 equivalents of South Korea. They produce tons of slop, believe me. But they're also way better at making slop.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 02:12 on Jul 11, 2022

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheDragonFeeder/status/1545403413315194880

looks like the usual suspects have settled on an explanation for why hollywood cant sell their poo poo in china that doesnt require them to admit that its because american movies loving suck now

American movies are doo doo but that doo doo is like caviar compared to the liquified poo poo with corn chunks that is Chinese cinema lol

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
nobody will ever get sick of conveyor-belted superheroes movies

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Delta-Wye posted:

if japan can't be the regional hegemon then being america's nuclear-backed lackey in asia is probably the next best thing

militarizing could also be a reaction to seeing america's global decline and could be interpreted as insurance/leverage in any future multilateral relations with its neighbours

iunno, is the average japanese quality of life on as steep of a decline as an american's? i just don't see japan as having a big death drive as america does

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

American movies are doo doo but that doo doo is like caviar compared to the liquified poo poo with corn chunks that is Chinese cinema lol

lol @ your uncultured rear end

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

For now. The CPC has set a goal of achieving their own Morbius by 2030.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

yellowcar posted:

if japan can't be the regional hegemon then being america's nuclear-backed lackey in asia is probably the next best thing

militarizing could also be a reaction to seeing america's global decline and could be interpreted as insurance/leverage in any future multilateral relations with its neighbours

iunno, is the average japanese quality of life on as steep of a decline as an american's? i just don't see japan as having a big death drive as america does

there aren't nukes in japan yet because america fears vassals regaining their sovereignity

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

pretty interesting tho it's pretty long-winded and loaded with academia phrases

quote:

of model-oriented, non-linear circular synergism instead of linear causal mechanism,

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

crepeface posted:

pretty interesting tho it's pretty long-winded and loaded with academia phrases

simplified: they just traded like normal people

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

China made an anime Karl Marx. I’ve never seen it, but I’m just going to assume it’s better than avengers, which I also have not seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

nigel thornberry posted:

China made an anime Karl Marx. I’ve never seen it, but I’m just going to assume it’s better than avengers, which I also have not seen

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1095642279887294464?s=20&t=LYYaUDGF26p-u4kbdez4qg