Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
https://i.imgur.com/LTvaNVh.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Tailings dam?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
A friend of mine’s dad was killed as he was jogging across the street. Some high school girl on her phone didn’t see him and he died on the spot. She got charged with vehicular homicide I think.

Tragic.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

the area covered by snow has increased, nature is healing.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Dear Lord

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

And like, even if you're a good driver it's so loving dangerous. I remember distinctly driving along a country road near my village, not even going fast. Probably 50 km/h or so on excellent roads. Just enjoying the weather with some tunes. I saw a friend cycling on the opposite side so I took my eyes off the road for a second and as I raised my hand in greeting out of nowhere some old people on bikes came from behind a bend and decided to cross the road without looking so I had to slam the breaks. I came to a stop like a foot from them. Still kinda haunts me to this day how lucky we all were.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Taeke posted:

And like, even if you're a good driver it's so loving dangerous. I remember distinctly driving along a country road near my village, not even going fast. Probably 50 km/h or so on excellent roads. Just enjoying the weather with some tunes. I saw a friend cycling on the opposite side so I took my eyes off the road for a second and as I raised my hand in greeting out of nowhere some old people on bikes came from behind a bend and decided to cross the road without looking so I had to slam the breaks. I came to a stop like a foot from them. Still kinda haunts me to this day how lucky we all were.

Your friend was trying to arrange the murder of those old people. So much planning, but he missed tampering with your brakes!

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

Mozi posted:

Tailings dam?

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CfyT6xcA27D/

quote:

harryshimmin
9 Brits and 1 American on a guided tour of the Tian Shan mountains in Kyrgyzstan. We’d just reached the highest point in the trek and I separated from the group to take pictures on top of a hill/cliff edge. While I was taking pictures I heard the sound of deep ice cracking behind me. This is where the video starts. I’d been there for a few minutes already so I knew there was a spot for shelter right next to me. I was on a cliff edge, so I could only run away from the shelter (hence why I don’t move). Yes I left it to the last second to move, and yes I know it would have been safer moving to the shelter straight away. I’m very aware that I took a big risk. I felt in control, but regardless, when the snow started coming over and it got dark / harder to breath, I was bricking it and thought I might die.

Behind the rock it was like being inside a blizzard. Once it was over the adrenaline rush hit me hard. I was only covered in light powder, without a scratch. I felt giddy. I knew the rest of the group was further away from the avalanche so should be okay. When I re-joined them I could see they were all safe, although one had cut her knee quite badly (she rode one of the horses to the nearest medical facility). Another had fallen off a horse and sustained some light bruising.

The whole group was laughing and crying, happy to be alive (including the girl who cut her knee). It was only later we realised just how lucky we’d been. If we had walked 5 minutes further on our trek, we would all be dead. If you look carefully in the video, you can see the faint grey trail winding through the grass. That was the path. We traversed it afterwards, walking among massive ice boulders and rocks that had been thrown much further than we could have run, even if we acted immediately. To make it worse, the path runs alongside a low ridge, hiding the mountain from view, so we would have only heard the roar before lights out.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

Tailings dam?

Ice drat. Meltwater builds up behind an area of ice in a cooler/sheltered part of the same valley. When it goes, all the water is dumped.

Many of the weird valley formations the US has in the south ( Arizona, Colorado ) were formed by an ice drat giving way at the end of the last ice age. Just an unreal amount of water released in only a few hours, whole thing was over in days and we still see the results.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Friend's sister ran a stop sign and was hit by a drunk driver and died.

Not sure how "drunk" the other driver was. Maybe only a bit over the limit, or possibly wasted out of his skull. Or maybe somewhere in between.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

My city has been getting aggressive about putting in curb extensions at intersections. So far the main reaction to them has been drivers writing angry Nextoor posts about how they're now forced to slow down at intersections and how much more attention it takes to make right turns on red.

Weembles fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 10, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
goddamn

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Weembles posted:

My city has been getting aggressive about putting in curb extensions at intersections. So far the main reaction to them has been drivers writing angry Nextoor posts about how they're now forced to slow down at intersections and how much more attention it takes to make right turns on red.

Hell, at least we know they work then.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Wow. That's quite a story.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
hair in the eyeball, fir in the lungs
forklift certified get on my tongs

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
https://gfycat.com/lividslipperybream

Robot arm traps worker.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Spalec posted:

Got an actual OSHA-adjacent question:

Are there any respirators that work with facial hair/beards? My work is increasing use of them (done studies suggesting particulate count for certain tasks is high enough to require them) and I'd rather not keep clean shaven :effort:. I don't have a huge beard, but enough to keep the seal from doing its thing.

Work is willing to buy them if we can find something that'll work.

3M VFlexes are an extremely breathable N95 duckbill that will create a good circular seal even if your beard is fairly poofy.

If you're leaning toward thermoplastic elasticomerics, the 3M secureclick can't be beat for comfort.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

Is... holy poo poo, is this a setup? can't be, because Jesus they first bot PUSHES

"Careful around accidents or you're going to be the next casualty"

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Everything I hear is how roundabouts are safer, and I for them, but there's a pair of them on my way to work (one on each side of the highway for the on/off ramps) and they are double lane roundabouts and EVERY DAY I see people enter the roundabout and immediately change lanes while going around. Thankfully, it's only been a close call a couple of times the 8 months I've been working there.

There's another one that I hit when I decide to avoid the highway due to traffic that is right after a stop light intersection. So, I have to wait for a green light before entering. What's the point?!

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

I can only imagine it's to mitigate wait times and clogging for left turns or for situations where everyone approaching generally wants to take the same loop exit and there isn't lane space to support a wider intersection. In normal 4-way timed or actuated intersections the flow rate into an intersection isn't fifo like a signaled roundabout is.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 11, 2022

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Uthor posted:

Everything I hear is how roundabouts are safer, and I for them, but there's a pair of them on my way to work (one on each side of the highway for the on/off ramps) and they are double lane roundabouts and EVERY DAY I see people enter the roundabout and immediately change lanes while going around. Thankfully, it's only been a close call a couple of times the 8 months I've been working there.

There's another one that I hit when I decide to avoid the highway due to traffic that is right after a stop light intersection. So, I have to wait for a green light before entering. What's the point?!

They're safer in that the collisions in them are likely to be low speed impacts at oblique angles rather than high speed t-bones.

But yes, a lot of dumb near misses. There's an overpass dumbbell like that near me that also gets a ton of semi and dump truck traffic which definitely makes things extra dicey.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Uthor posted:

i'm not sure on the particular design of this roundabout, but in the spirit of expecting the unexpected from other drivers, i would probably wait for both lanes to clear before merging into it, in case someone pulls a sudden switcheroo lane change.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
It doesn't help when the roundabouts are poorly signaled in your GPS, and you can't tell what lane you need to be in for which direction you're going. I had a friend riding shotgun through an area with a confusing roundabout and still nearly beefed it picking the right approach and exit.

I do think they're optimal when it's a single lane situation in a 4-way intersection, and I have no major issues with roundabouts as a traffic design. I just want the signage and the GPS instructions to be clearer during the approach.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What happens if you just decide to circle in a roundabout forever, or I guess until your gas runs out? Will the cops try to stop you? Has anyone ever done this as like, a protest or whatever? (I found one video of someone doing a '24-hour roundabout challenge' and they did indeed get pulled over)

Weembles posted:

Toronto has been putting in a lot of physically separated bicycle lanes in the past few years. I don't even ride a bicycle that much but I just love hearing drivers bitch about them. They have their faults (mostly pedestrians outside bars who like to stand in them) but they definitely have improved the safety of neighbourhoods they're in. Oh yeah, local business owners love to bitch about them too, saying the lack of street parking is driving away customers. Good. If your business was worth a drat people would be willing to walk to it. Fuckin' petite bourgeoise.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Speed 3: Roundabout

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

It doesn't help when the roundabouts are poorly signaled in your GPS, and you can't tell what lane you need to be in for which direction you're going. I had a friend riding shotgun through an area with a confusing roundabout and still nearly beefed it picking the right approach and exit.

I do think they're optimal when it's a single lane situation in a 4-way intersection, and I have no major issues with roundabouts as a traffic design. I just want the signage and the GPS instructions to be clearer during the approach.

We have a roundabout near us that Google maps will say, "Turn left at the roundabout" - meaning to go 270° around and exit out the left side. Nonetheless, every day there are people taking that literally and turning left as they enter the roundabout, going the wrong way around.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mister Speaker posted:

Toronto has been putting in a lot of physically separated bicycle lanes in the past few years. I don't even ride a bicycle that much but I just love hearing drivers bitch about them. They have their faults (mostly pedestrians outside bars who like to stand in them) but they definitely have improved the safety of neighbourhoods they're in. Oh yeah, local business owners love to bitch about them too, saying the lack of street parking is driving away customers. Good. If your business was worth a drat people would be willing to walk to it. Fuckin' petite bourgeoise.

Recently move to Milwaukee. First place I've lived with bike lanes (and with people actually walking on the sidewalks, so I can't ride on them). It's not a super safe feeling being between moving traffic and parked cars that may pull out/open doors. But I was driving downtown and a few of the streets put the bike lane next to the sidewalk and the parked cars between the bike lane and drive lane.

I haven't ridden there (yet), but seems pretty safe. No traffic crossing the lane and a much less chance of a door opening into you. But, takes up a bit more space than the normal setup, so I don't see them being able to set this up in older/narrower roads.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I had Google Maps give me some confusing directions on which road to take out of a roundabout one time, but the nice thing about roundabouts is that you can just go around and try again. In this case it was something like "take the first right onto Dongs Street" but Dongs Street was actually the second right, so I took a lap to give it time to settle out and verify which road I needed to take.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Mister Speaker posted:

I lived in Toronto from 2009-2012 and the birching and moaning was beyond belief. meanwhile every day a cyclist gets run over by a cement truck or some poo poo. Now I'm back in Victoria and we are doing the same things, absolutely *gorgeous* bikelanes that skateboarders can also use for travel. Less bitching and moaning here, but we also have a waaaay smaller population.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

We have a roundabout near us that Google maps will say, "Turn left at the roundabout" - meaning to go 270° around and exit out the left side. Nonetheless, every day there are people taking that literally and turning left as they enter the roundabout, going the wrong way around.

That's really weird, in the UK it says take the first exit, second exit, third exit, etc. off the roundabout. I wonder why it says it in a different style?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Bertha the Toaster posted:

That's really weird, in the UK it says take the first exit, second exit, third exit, etc. off the roundabout. I wonder why it says it in a different style?

It's a complete coin flip how my GPS treats roundabouts, some of them give you specific exits, some of them just give you the generic "turn [direction]". I haven't figured out any correlation to size/age/etc.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Turpitude posted:

I lived in Toronto from 2009-2012 and the birching and moaning was beyond belief. meanwhile every day a cyclist gets run over by a cement truck or some poo poo. Now I'm back in Victoria and we are doing the same things, absolutely *gorgeous* bikelanes that skateboarders can also use for travel. Less bitching and moaning here, but we also have a waaaay smaller population.

Yeah it's nice to see some progress, but honestly this city sucks balls. Like a lot of things, if the pigs actually did their jobs, maybe drivers would be more scared of the consequences of negligently squishing a cyclist or pedestrian. There have been a few stories that hit the news where a driver killed someone and was let off with minor, if any charges. And everyone who lives or works downtown knows a cyclist who's been hit by a driver who maybe got a stern talking-to if TPS even bothered to show up.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Kind of scary to think people are relying on their GPS to use a roundabout.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

SimonSays posted:

Totally normal and desirable way for a society to work. I absolutely love it and it doesn't make me shake with fury every day I have to live in it.

earlier today i was reading about a young woman who lived in my city in the 1830s who was killed when the horse pulling the wagon she was in got startled and bolted, which ended up knocking her off the wagon. unfortunately, her dress got caught on the wagon and she was dragged a mile back to town before the horse calmed down and her body could be removed

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

So here's a thing I didn't know existed until today, and it has me wondering what horrors it may be capable of producing:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/shirtsthtgohard/status/1545979022965755905?s=21&t=NYH1UpVNkT0Z8bj-7TZj6A

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

hailthefish posted:

They're safer in that the collisions in them are likely to be low speed impacts at oblique angles rather than high speed t-bones.

But yes, a lot of dumb near misses. There's an overpass dumbbell like that near me that also gets a ton of semi and dump truck traffic which definitely makes things extra dicey.

IIRC the roundabouts have more accidents for all the reasons mentioned above, but they still end up being a net gain for safety for the reasons you mentioned. Lots of confused people merging into each other at 25 mph instead of one drunk rear end in a top hat blowing through a red at 60.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Uthor posted:

Recently move to Milwaukee. First place I've lived with bike lanes (and with people actually walking on the sidewalks, so I can't ride on them). It's not a super safe feeling being between moving traffic and parked cars that may pull out/open doors. But I was driving downtown and a few of the streets put the bike lane next to the sidewalk and the parked cars between the bike lane and drive lane.

i dont feel safe biking here

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/o87wA0B.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Planer? We don't need no stinkin planer!
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7113157699373780230

I'm not even sure what this one is meant to do:
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7116870746399378734