Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Harrow posted:

Recruitment stuff (no character names or story details here, just chapter numbers):

Chapter 3 - You get a different character in each route through this chapter.

Chapter 15 - There are three routes through this chapter, and four different recruitable characters. The Liberty choice in this chapter has two possible recruits, and which one you get depends on which choice you made in Chapter 11. So if you want to recruit everyone, you'll need to do the Liberty choice in Chapter 15 twice on two different playthroughs, one with one Chapter 11 choice and one with the other.

Finally, there's one more recruit on one of the ending paths. If you're doing all of the endings, you'll get them eventually.

Aside from that, all the recruits are either guaranteed by the story or gained by increasing your convictions, and NG+ will give you a list of conviction recruits and their requirements.

Quoting this for posterity. Thanks! The game is really so good. I'm going slowly, I just finished my 4th battle I think, but the story is interesting and the action a delight.

Anna and Hughette are the best girls and I love them both. I remember some of the characters from the demo and I'm excited to get them leveled up and strong as poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Just started playing this game, in chapter 6 I think, but boy do I love Hughette. She just feels so immediately strong to me; nothing busted, but her kit just combines so well to make an incredibly mobile archer who can rain blindness from above. Plus her blind shot also works incredibly well to defend her from her main weakness.

In general most characters feel pretty good but man, I just love Hughette.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The unit balance is surprisingly good in this, too.

Hughette and Anna are amazing and never stop being amazing, but the other recruits you get are often just as good, though sometimes in less obvious ways. There are I think two characters I never got too much use out of, but everyone else is fantastic. It's really fun.

On my first playthrough I mostly stuck to using the main story characters and a few of the other recruits, but after that I experimented a lot more and found that basically everyone's really good. Though I think my most-used units (aside from Serenoa, since he's auto-deployed) were Benedict and Hughette. No matter the situation those two are always really useful.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I stopped deploying Benedict around Chapter 12 or so. He's great, but I felt like the defensive buffs were largely unnecessary in Normal (or didn't help enough against stuff like magic attacks), and, since I started deploying Julio and Medina, the offensive buff and instant turn buffs, respectively, became redundant.

His weapon skill(?) is definitely in the top 10, though, and it found a lot of use through specific battles in NG+ and beyond.

The characters I found cool, but ultimately inefficient for my tactics were:

Jens
Lionel
Flanagan (Later conviction recruit)
Giovanna (Much later conviction recruit)

Related: I did a search for "list of recruitable characters Triangle Strategy" on Google to remind myself of a name or two, and Google decided to summarize someone's tier list in table form. Someone with really bad opinions put (late chapter story recruit) Milo and (much later conviction recruit) Decimal in C tier alongside Jens and Corentin(?!). That definitely reeks of "I didn't know how to use them properly so they're not good" or maybe even a "I got them late so I didn't raise them up all the way."

If there has to be a D tier, I guess I agree with putting (much later conviction recruit) Giovanna there. Jens belongs there, too. Not because either of them are bad, but because they're too inflexible or situational to be as effective in most situations.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Jens is probably the one character whose worth most depends on the map setup. Ladders and traps will shut down some maps. I agree with Giovanna being in the lowest tier which is unusual for a tactics game because of her great movement. Lionel as well because it takes so long for him to get his good abilities. Piccoletta feels like she should be down there to at max level but I think her early game performance boosts her a good bit. On the other end I think Erador and Medina are the clear S tiers with Frederica, Corentin, and Milo right behind.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I was going to say Frederica/Anna/Hughette are great in the game but then I realized I had the same to say for so many others.

But I agree Jens is the all star special map man

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

dude789 posted:

Jens is probably the one character whose worth most depends on the map setup. Ladders and traps will shut down some maps. I agree with Giovanna being in the lowest tier which is unusual for a tactics game because of her great movement. Lionel as well because it takes so long for him to get his good abilities. Piccoletta feels like she should be down there to at max level but I think her early game performance boosts her a good bit. On the other end I think Erador and Medina are the clear S tiers with Frederica, Corentin, and Milo right behind.

Honestly if you're looking at tiers.

(Minor character spoilers)

There's a tier list pre-Quahaug and a tier list post-Quahaug because of how pivotal he is on the game. (Or in other words, a New game Tier list and a New Game+ Tier list)

All character spoilers on these.

New Game

New Game+

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Narve should be in god tier at all times. Best boy

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
narve is a freaking nerd

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Looper posted:

narve is a freaking nerd

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Straight physical attack kinda falls off after a while. I really love the concept of the physical damage dodge tank with high movement and a freaking dragon punch, in practice they're unfortunately mediocre in practice when compared to other options.

I wholly disagree with Corentin, though. Ice is the best element by far and is invaluable in hindering movement and creating choke points simply by casting. Plus, he isn't affected by weather, and recharging TP by standing on a non-damaging tile he can create anywhere? Yes, please and thank you.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I love the old bow guy, I forget his name. He's slow but goddamn once you level him up he sharpshoots fools easy

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Prowler posted:

His weapon skill(?) is definitely in the top 10, though, and it found a lot of use through specific battles in NG+ and beyond.

Yeah Benedict's weapon skill is amazing. That combined with his ability to give people extra turns (especially with Medina or Julio feeding him TP) made him ultra-useful for me.
The characters I found cool, but ultimately inefficient for my tactics were:

Prowler posted:

Giovanna (Much later conviction recruit)

Interestingly I really grew to like this guy, especially on Hard mode. His weapon skill can make four people as tanky as Erador as long as they're adjacent to him, it's extremely strong.

Barreft posted:

I love the old bow guy, I forget his name. He's slow but goddamn once you level him up he sharpshoots fools easy

Archibald owns. His ability to snipe dudes from like a whole map away is amazing

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Every character has at least some utility. You are required to use all of your units on the Golden Path so you pretty much have to level up everybody and max out their skill tree if you want to beat it on Hard. It was worth it though! The golden ending is very satisfying, especially after seeing the other three possible endings.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Barreft posted:

Archibald is the best, he's like the beast of the party.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Prowler posted:

I stopped deploying Benedict around Chapter 12 or so.

I swapped him out for usually Julio as a support character early on and he was only level 10 at the end of the game.
Then he gained 17 levels in the 1st battle of NG+ :stare:

But yeah his weapon skill seems pretty good

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Someone tell me the point to Piccoletta. She was responsible, with some bad tactics, for my first loss, I brought in Navre and destroyed.

She feels like a money sink since she needs items?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Someone tell me the point to Piccoletta. She was responsible, with some bad tactics, for my first loss, I brought in Navre and destroyed.

She feels like a money sink since she needs items?

You use her decoy. It makes the enemies so mad they'll bumrush and do anything to kill it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Kild posted:

You use her decoy. It makes the enemies so mad they'll bumrush and do anything to kill it.

That's interesting. I'll keep that in mind then. The bad tactics was poorly placing that thing somewhere. I thought she'd be physically stronger or have a more ranged attacked but nope. Just items. I like how everyone draws from the same pool of items though, but it does mean I need to looser about using them. I can use healing items fine, but offensive ones I keep holding onto. Bad JRPG habits. I just haven't found a situation where one of them is better than just attacking or something else, just yet.

I really really liked how Fell Seal: Aribiter's Mark used items. Essentially everyone pulled from the same inventory, and that inventory had a few items in it of several types (3 healing, 2 offensive etc), that were renewed every battle, so you're encouraged to use them fully every fight. The enemies had the same deal going for them. It add an interesting wrinkle and allows for more item usage.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Piccoletta is theoretically decently powerful with her decoy but I don't really enjoy using her. I think you are too beholden to the AI cooperating.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In NG I think Piccoletta is definitely best used for her decoy, but in NG+ when you have money to burn she can do good work with throwing offensive items, too.

She's one of my four least-used characters, though. I leveled her up and upgraded her anyway but I only deployed her in a handful of real battles. The other ones I didn't really use much were Lionel (by the time I started to care about using him for anything other than grinding money I already had Milo who is just absolutely insanely good), Hossabara (if her heal included her I think she would instantly become a lot better), and Giovanna (just awkward targeting and spell use restrictions, though she's fun to use with Corentin sometimes).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Prowler posted:

Straight physical attack kinda falls off after a while. I really love the concept of the physical damage dodge tank with high movement and a freaking dragon punch, in practice they're unfortunately mediocre in practice when compared to other options.

I wholly disagree with Corentin, though. Ice is the best element by far and is invaluable in hindering movement and creating choke points simply by casting. Plus, he isn't affected by weather, and recharging TP by standing on a non-damaging tile he can create anywhere? Yes, please and thank you.

Corentin is someone who suffers because of how he's placed in the game. In NG Rudolph's ability to hinder terrain with traps is superior and more pivotal on the maps where it works and his damage is a lot higher for a long while before he finally falls off. Corentin's opportunity cost is just unfortunately much higher than every other character's.

In NG+ when his gimmick is unlimited TP, he suffers because of how game warping Quahaug is. That is to say if you just spam time freeze as you should, everyone regenerates 3 TP per action.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

How's promoting work? Are you penalized for promoting asap like in FE or is it just a as soon you can thing?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

100YrsofAttitude posted:

How's promoting work? Are you penalized for promoting asap like in FE or is it just a as soon you can thing?

Just promote asap.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah promote whenever you can. Any stat gains apply retroactively so your stats at the end will be the same no matter when you promote. The main consideration is the limited availability of promotion items on your first playthrough so you need to prioritize who gets promoted in NG.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
do Mental Mock Battle crowns carry over in future NG+?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

It's a pity the music isn't as good as Octopath's. I find myself actively turning it down. It's fine, but nothing special.

Octopath is really a top ten best of all time. I have no idea why that game didn't have a music player.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Some of the later music in dramatic battles is really good, at least. And the vocal version of the main theme that’s in one of the trailers goes extremely hard.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Harrow posted:

Some of the later music in dramatic battles is really good, at least. And the vocal version of the main theme that’s in one of the trailers goes extremely hard.

Yeah I thought the music was really good for the most part

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Beat Avlora first try without burning down any buildings. Piccoletta was undeniably the MVP, Avlora wasn't fooled by the decoy but her entourage was, allowing me to isolate her and pelt her with attack items.

If you can keep a decoy alive you can do anything.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Posted it before but I was able to just block the one street everyone was trying to go up with Erador and one other unit and slowly pelt them with arrows and spells. Felt pretty underwhelming really

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I don't recall any of the tracks getting stuck in my head or sticking out to the extent that I'd want to listen to them later or buy the soundtrack.

To be fair though, I just okay FF7 Remake and they neutered that soundtrack, like it all just blended together and felt so unimpactful. So I'm putting the blame on Square for not putting out or knowing how to use great music these days.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

PaybackJack posted:

So I'm putting the blame on Square for not putting out or knowing how to use great music these days.

The FF7R soundtrack was amazing, what the heck? It has a ton of variety, with so many unique songs that they had to create a separate soundtrack release that included a bunch of one-off songs used briefly in-game. Plus, on top of some of the great arrangements of the original music, it had some amazing original songs not used in the original release. Not sure many people would agree with you there.

I do, however, agree that Triangle Strategy has a rather underwhelming and small soundtrack. Tons of songs are reused throughout the game, used in both cutscenes and battles. There are two songs that stood out that viewers commented on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IsrUi4mexk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj22DIzfMlc

To be fair to TS, the Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre series have what I would consider good soundtracks, but nothing standout or amazing. The most recent Fire Emblem games have a lot of bangers, though.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I love the poo poo out of the Triangle soundtrack, I think it's exceptional. It's tough to compare it to Octopath since they go for such different moods.

Faves:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJOUmiqi3lo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzHH8Dm8J9M
(this one is my alarm when I have to wake up early)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
after playing a bunch of games with Banger OSTs i'm actually glad to play one which is unremarkable enough that I feel fine playing my own music instead lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

All of the battle themes based on the main characters' themes are fantastic too. Roland's is super dramatic, Frederica's and Benedict's both feel really heroic. I love the non-combat versions of the themes, too, which sound a lot more somber. (My favorite is Benedict's, I love that cello.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n3pjhpBrs0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgqyutL6Evg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytdLT13Aj1I

This is one of the climactic battle themes I really loved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_KPbcaqGZQ

"Deep Within the Ground" is one of my favorite tracks of the year, it just sounds so mystical and grave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y7cR5e1i7o

And I won't link them here but the final battle themes are also excellent. If you want to look them up their titles are "Decisive Battle" and (big spoiler) "Idore Delmira"

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 13, 2022

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Harrow posted:

This is one of the climactic battle themes I really loved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_KPbcaqGZQ
This one’s epic. Maybe I’ll play it next time I’m doing my crossword.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I really like this somber version of the main theme. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sHJjymsuGM

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

TS has a decent to good soundtrack with Combat Destiny as an outlier being an all time great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

The one stage where I beat half of the enemy forces, the boss and the characters had a little speech, and then the stage theme shifted to this is something I still remember even after having finished the game for a few months.

How the soundtrack is used is a Xenosaga problem sometimes where the OST itself is probably 90% awesome, but the actual game really relies on a handful of songs to pad out scenes so you rarely get to hear other stuff. But y'all are crazy, TS's soundtrack is great