Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

tuyop posted:

yeah I started taking pictures again. I recommend creative endeavours.

here is a picture of a bee sticking out its weird and wonderful tongue. I’m partial to the stupid feet.

and a flower after a rain

Those are really good pictures, 5/5 would admire again. That flower after the rain is really pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Climate migrations when?

Gonna invest in Alaskan land I can later sell to condo developers.

You're a bit late to get in on the arctic land rush I'm afraid

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

But if you look up earlier in the thread it seems like arctic land is still rushing?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.reddit.com/r/collapse/comments/vw100v/forgetting_he_was_recorded_total_ceo_patrick/

quote:

Total is one of the world's largest oil companies. They try to rebrand themselves as "Total Energies" but they really do is oil sales and oil exploration. It’s the French BP/ Exxon. Patrick Pouyanné is the current head of Total. An engineer by training, he is a tall former Rugbyman and has the reputation of a workaholic.

As CEO of Total, he is like a head of State. He travels in armored car, has meetings with people like Vladimir Putin, the President of Rwanda or the President of Iran
During an energy conference in Paris, he forgot someone was recording, and declared :

"According to our internal climate scenario, which I got right in front of me, we will head toward 3 degrees of global warming, 3.5 degrees"

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

"According to our internal climate scenario, which I got right in front of me, we will head toward 3 degrees of global warming, 3.5 degrees"

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Mayor Dave posted:

You're a bit late to get in on the arctic land rush I'm afraid

I dunno, sounds like things are on fire up there rn.

Yep, they know. :thermidor:

Alamani57
Dec 15, 2010

There's the number they are willing to say in public.

There's the number they are willing to say in private conferences.

Then there's the real number.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Lol awesome, that's definitely apocalyptic territory

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Mayor Dave posted:

Lol awesome, that's definitely apocalyptic territory

and remember that is in Celsius!

if an oil guy is sayin 3.5C then I bet the numbers point to 7C

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

This is the opposite of what I was after.
lol.

Confusedslight has issued a correction as of 03:50 on Jul 11, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

ok but when we will hit that exactly, pretty vague phrasing

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

actionjackson posted:

ok but when we will hit that exactly, pretty vague phrasing

or if its a peak temp or stabilization temp

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
silence, doomer wreckers

this is far more optimistic than the 1980 API AQ-9 Task Force Meeting results!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
oil companies (accidentally) admitting we are getting RCP 8.5 puts us about 10-15 years ahead of them

our current predictions are ...uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Confusedslight posted:

This is the opposite of what I was after.
lol.

I don't know if you're just responding generally or if you want a response from me.

I internalized all this stuff years ago and now I mostly try to enjoy every day I have to me to its fullest knowing that it's a finite experience. Death comes for us all. I have no urges to pursue it or to gnash wail and tear my cloth over it or anything like that. The world is insanely loving overpopulated with huge enormous engines of rudimentary artificial intelligences trying to squeeze every last dollar out of every possible pursuit despite the negative externalities of doing that. I've accepted that there's virtually nothing I can do to alter that outcome as an individual that's 0.000000000001% of the planet's population.

What I can control is how I approach the time we have remaining to us.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Alamani57 posted:

There's the number they are willing to say in public.

There's the number they are willing to say in private conferences.

Then there's the real number.

what they aren't willing to say is they have no idea how bad it's gonna get

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

what they aren't willing to say is they have no idea how bad it's gonna get

Patrick Pouyanné is 59 years old. He is incredibly, staggeringly fat. He will die within two decades. He does not care how bad it will get. This is universally true for the aged boomer cockroaches running our planet.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Patrick Pouyanné is 59 years old. He is incredibly, staggeringly fat. He will die within two decades. He does not care how bad it will get. This is universally true for the aged boomer cockroaches running our planet.

think of all the silent generation still sitting in the halls of power. the boomers are not even in full control of the machine yet.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Everybody has given pretty sound advice. Just still not totally in the acceptance phase that things can be as existentially bad as everybody I trust is telling me. Me commenting that that's exactly the opposite of what I wanted to hear was mostly just a joke.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lmao you think things are going to be bad? hell, they are going to be worse! we blew past "bad" as a possible outcome decades ago

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
poo poo sucks extremely bad and we're all hosed, but the good news is that your (I assume) privileged position as a westerner means you have a pretty good chance of riding things out for a while as an only mildly inconvenienced spectator enjoying tremendous content.

Unless you live in Texas or Florida or California or, uh, like anywhere else too far from water or too close to the wrong water in which case lmao

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Look you're all just jealous you don't get to go down in history as the first cause of gigadearh

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Biosphere collapse: don't be too far from water or too close to the wrong water

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Biosphere Collapse: H2Uh-Oh!

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Confusedslight posted:

Watching this collapse is surreal and scary if there any good news in the fight against it? Not looking for green washing bs but something tangible.

Some nation or other will try and nuke their way out of crisis. Not good news, more of a wildcard sort of thing.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Think of all the things we will learn, heh heh heh.

hah

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

isn’t 3.5 degrees of warming at around the lower end of when cumulus clouds can no longer form? :shepface:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Fly Molo posted:

isn’t 3.5 degrees of warming at around the lower end of when cumulus clouds can no longer form? :shepface:

Yeah, but at that level the effect would be seasonal.

It's not that bad yet.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Fly Molo posted:

the economic impact will be negligible, very little economic activity takes place in cumulus clouds.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

endlessmonotony posted:

Yeah, but at that level the effect would be seasonal.

It's not that bad yet.

the idea of neverending drought and dust storms scare me on an existential level

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Fly Molo posted:

the idea of neverending drought and dust storms scare me on an existential level

They won't be neverending from your perspective. Indeed, they will be rather short-lived.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Actually we've already avoided the worst, I'd recommend that monsieur Patrick spend a bit more time lurking the D&D climate change thread.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Zodium posted:

the economic impact will be negligible, very little economic activity takes place in cumulus clouds.

Lol

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zodium posted:

:nsacloud:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
:cloud:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

even if i cant find the original recording just by looking at the weekly forecast i know these fuckers knew

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Found this pic on a Vox article

cardiacarrest123
Apr 10, 2016
I still think "we were like ruh-roh" was the best thread title

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Fly Molo posted:

what were the skies like when you were young

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

lol

lmao