Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Yeah China makes bad movies, or pretentious movies, or both, never neither

If your fantasies of the other are titillated well then enjoy. But it’s not great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

my fantasies of the other are very titillated

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

mawarannahr posted:

lol @ your uncultured rear end

feed me lovely movies that are even more directly state-funded war propaganda than the US ones

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

mawarannahr posted:

lol @ your uncultured rear end

I can’t get over how funny this post is lol

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

yellowcar posted:

i believe one of the reasons for the big push to militarism is currently japanese law prohibits selling weapons overseas and japan wants to get in on the MIC racket

They already fixed that law and was trying to sell submarine to the Aussies. China did something and kiboshed that deal (probably showed the aussies they could detect the Japanese sub sound profile). So the Aussie switched to the French subs. Before they hosed the french and switched to the American nuclear subs lol.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

laughing my rear end off at the idea that china allows movies in based entirely on their quality

"hmm only 3 stars, PASS"

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

feed me lovely movies that are even more directly state-funded war propaganda than the US ones

lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I can’t get over how funny this post is lol

a cultured rear end can digest Chinese cinema correctly and leave perfectly formed turds instead of the liquid + corn you get.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheDragonFeeder/status/1545403413315194880

looks like the usual suspects have settled on an explanation for why hollywood cant sell their poo poo in china that doesnt require them to admit that its because american movies loving suck now

LOL don't put 8964 badges in your movie like a /worldnews redditor disney.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
watching scrolling user commentary on rambo 3 officially streamed on bilibili was one of the funniest things i have experienced in my lifetime

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Antonymous posted:

Yeah China makes bad movies, or pretentious movies, or both, never neither

If your fantasies of the other are titillated well then enjoy. But it’s not great

They've made some cool movies too. Stupid maybe, but cool.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

hollywood is currently involved in an black op to install a chinese gene siskel to ensure their movies get the stars they need

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

American movies are doo doo but that doo doo is like caviar compared to the liquified poo poo with corn chunks that is Chinese cinema lol

thats not really true. theres good chinese cinema

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Mantis42 posted:

For now. The CPC has set a goal of achieving their own Morbius by 2030.

Morbin Time in China 2030

It's going to trigger Trump/Pompeo II

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i dont really care much about the blockbusters and wolf warriors or whatever, but the chinese equivalents of a24 put out some good stuff

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

where are the chinese farrelly brothers, huh?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

yellowcar posted:

iunno, is the average japanese quality of life on as steep of a decline as an american's? i just don't see japan as having a big death drive as america does

Imagine the American post-2008 experience, but since like 1989. People are welcoming their grandchildren still trapped in the entry-level real job they just barely squeaked into in the late '80s until even older coworkers retire, people are welcoming their grandchildren having gone to a good college, done everything right, and still bouncing between fast food franchises for 33 years if they missed the cutoff before things went wrong, and there was never a recovery to give false hope.
What decline there isn't is that there never even was the "we won the cold war!"/dotcom exuberance to cover up deindustrialization.

That said America will never let Asians, even Asians cosplaying limeys, take a position of authority. The Atlanticists are chasing the phantom of the "do what western academics think they themselves should do" strategy that worked in the 1880s and 1950s but can't handle the ḑ̵̢̡͚͕͍͈̱̘̮͓̭̽̑̍̑͌͆͌̆̕͝͝e̸͉͕̽́̃̉̃̅͆̓̊̋ç̷̙̜͚͉͓̈́̍l̴̜͕̳̟̖̯͉̗̅̿̇̈̀̿̂̒̃̕͜͝ͅi̵̡̦̳̬̰̫̫̫͑̂̊̂͒͒͋̏̆̉̎̐̎̑̕n̷̼̼̱̼̈́͗͛̏͛͑e̷̹̳͕̝̤̽̏̑̽͑̏̃̓̀͝ ̷̡͕̘̲̭͈̞̗̻̼̙̆̎͝į̸̺̜͓͚̝̰̩̬̋͗̋̐̇̂̐́̌͐̽ͅn̷̢͚̪̘̝̦̭̝͉̦̂͌͐̌͛̊͋̈̐͒̆̕͝͝ ̴̡͖̻͈̗͙͈̟͉̭͂̿̅̀̕ţ̶̡̢͔̺̻̦̫͔͙͇̥̮͍͊̋̄̀ḩ̸̱̞̥̼̺̀̋̓͂̀̑́̄́̎͘͠ȩ̴͚͖͓̜͈̘̘̟̗͗͒̊̿͛͆͊̒̋ͅ ̷̜̝͈͙͙̟̗̳͚̼̼̼̮̄̅̽r̷̩̙͇̭̐̊̈́͒̔̉̃̾͋̀͘͝͝͝a̵̡͇̖̠̪͚̲͓͍͔̍͋̏͒̌̀̽͊͠͠ţ̴͈̰̟͈̭̲̋̅͂͛̉͆̀͐ĕ̵̛̜̒̾̌́̾̈́͂̽̑̊͑̃ ̷̛̲̈́̓̈̓̓̈̂͆͗̈̏̑̚͠o̵̧̧̖̫̜͆͑̿̄̈́͊̈́͊̋̕͝͠͠f̷̭̳̦̩͓̣͓̮͙̙͖͍̹̈́͗̃͐̽̽̅̚͠ ̴̡͇̤̳̭̟̖͆́͋͑̾̾̆̽̂̇͘p̶̛͚͔̼̔̔͒̍̈́̀̾͋̋r̵̢̨̨̖̘̯̣̯͖͓̲̈́́͋̓͛̎͋̎̒͒̚ơ̴͖̙̘̹̥̤̈́͒̅͛̔̆̂f̶̢̛͕̯͛̓̿͊͋̌̃̍̍̈́́̆͝ȋ̴͖̳̜̫̈́͌̊̎̈́̍̉̈́̑̈́͒̚̕̕t̴̛̖̩͉̝̻̆̋̆̈̌̈́̉͗̆, and the neoimperialists are Trumpian blowhards who just know that looking street gets them elected.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

China's produced some pretty neat cgi movies. I mean, anything is better than another piece of poo poo with talking animals or talking babies.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
where is chinas RRR?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fits my needs posted:

where is chinas RRR?

still can't get over the title card being forty minutes in. best picture 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mandoric posted:

Imagine the American post-2008 experience, but since like 1989. People are welcoming their grandchildren still trapped in the entry-level real job they just barely squeaked into in the late '80s until even older coworkers retire, people are welcoming their grandchildren having gone to a good college, done everything right, and still bouncing between fast food franchises for 33 years if they missed the cutoff before things went wrong, and there was never a recovery to give false hope.
What decline there isn't is that there never even was the "we won the cold war!"/dotcom exuberance to cover up deindustrialization.

"why is our birth rate so low? must be not enough labor participation rate by women!"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
From what I understand, white Americans in the rust belt after 2008 just get into all kind of drugs includeing Fentanyl, which shorten their life expectancy; while the Japanese who grow up in the "lost decades" just become frugal as gently caress, which doesn't necessarily impact their long life expectancy.

If you have been to a Daiso store, that's the Japanese lost decade.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Palladium posted:

there aren't nukes in japan yet

I kind of doubt this

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

stephenthinkpad posted:

From what I understand, white Americans in the rust belt after 2008 just get into all kind of drugs includeing Fentanyl, which shorten their life expectancy; while the Japanese who grow up in the "lost decades" just become frugal as gently caress, which doesn't necessarily impact their long life expectancy.

If you have been to a Daiso store, that's the Japanese lost decade.

There's still copious drinking, smoking, and "slipping and falling off light rail platforms just as the train comes in" for legal purposes.

Doing a barbecue, but it was raining, and whoops forgot to open the windows! Going to see the gorges hike the scenic foothills of Mt. Fuji especially the volcanic forests! Subsisting entirely off famichiki! An entire wonderland of things you know exactly what will happen and just don't care, they're only a little slower and less fun in the moment than the rust belt options.

Mandoric has issued a correction as of 03:30 on Jul 11, 2022

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

indigi posted:

I kind of doubt this

there are no non-American, assembled nukes in Japan yet then

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

https://twitter.com/MrGeartSoul/status/1545610152363315200

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I guess the rust belt and the Midwest aren’t that different but there seemed to be a point in Japan where they just stopped building new buildings and everything sort of froze in time. It is hard to not watch something about modern day Japan and just think “everything still looks like thr early 1990s.”

Russia was that way way into the 2010s.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I watched "Princes of the Yen" on Saturday (it's on YouTube) and I'd recommend it if you want to get a view of the Japanese political economy

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Floating through the Japanese alt-anything, mostly alt-right because :shobon:, twittersphere this morning:

The year numbers you can figure out yourself it's not even eras, the data charted is "change in global (employee) compensation", 100 is normalized to 1991 data, and those labels on the right are US UK CA DE IT FR JP. Source is OECD.

E: the telop is "seriously, this is the future?! the new iPhone costs a month's wages now"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

I watched "Princes of the Yen" on Saturday (it's on YouTube) and I'd recommend it if you want to get a view of the Japanese political economy

lol yeah it owns.

american university economics departments: we have purposely trained them wrong, as a joke.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

crepeface posted:

lol yeah it owns.

american university economics departments: we have purposely trained them wrong, as a joke.

I will never stop being fascinated that there was one era of Japanese economists who were trained wrong as a joke, two eras of Japanese economists who were trained right as a joke, and that's produced reactions ranging from anime fans to the crisis of colonialism to our sole example of nuclear warfare.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

i was watching that too

does anyone happen to know what the 1951 amnesty for war criminals mentioned in the beginning was? as in, was it a specific well known event that occurred that was codified by a ruling or something? i'm having trouble finding information specifically about amnesty in 1951.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Ac7ap_MAY&t=380s

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
maybe the 1951Treaty of Peace with Japan after the Tokyo War Crimes Tribunal (that shinzo abe's grandfather, nobusuke kishi was at)

quote:

Historian John W. Dower wrote that the campaign to absolve Emperor Hirohito of responsibility "knew no bounds." He argued that with MacArthur's full approval, the prosecution effectively acted as "a defense team for the emperor," who was presented as "an almost saintly figure" let alone someone culpable of war crimes.[35] He stated, "Even Japanese activists who endorse the ideals of the Nuremberg and Tokyo charters and who have labored to document and publicize the atrocities of the Shōwa regime cannot defend the American decision to exonerate the emperor of war responsibility and then, in the chill of the Cold War, release and soon afterwards openly embrace accused right-winged war criminals like the later prime minister Nobusuke Kishi."[40]

quote:

Forty-two suspects, such as Nobusuke Kishi, who later became Prime Minister, and Yoshisuke Aikawa, head of Nissan, were imprisoned in the expectation that they would be prosecuted at a second Tokyo Tribunal but they were never charged. They were released in 1947 and 1948.

quote:

The International Prosecution Section (IPS) of the SCAP decided to try the seventy Japanese apprehended for "Class A" war crimes in three groups. The first group of 28 were major leaders in the military, political, and diplomatic sphere. The second group (23 people) and the third group (nineteen people) were industrial and financial magnates who had been engaged in weapons manufacturing industries or were accused of trafficking in narcotics, as well as a number of lesser known leaders in military, political, and diplomatic spheres. The most notable among these were:

Nobusuke Kishi: In charge of industry and commerce of Manchukuo, 1936–40; Minister of Industry and Commerce under Tojo administration.

quote:

In 1950, after most Allied war crimes trials had ended, thousands of convicted war criminals sat in prisons across Asia and Europe, detained in the countries where they had been convicted. Some executions had not yet been carried out, as Allied courts agreed to reexamine their verdicts. Sentences were reduced in some cases, and a system of parole was instituted, but without relinquishing control over the fate of the imprisoned (even after Japan and Germany had regained their sovereignty).

The focus changed from the top wartime leaders to "ordinary" war criminals (Class B and C in Japan), and an intense and broadly-supported campaign for amnesty for all imprisoned war criminals ensued. The issue of criminal responsibility was reframed as a humanitarian problem.

On March 7, 1950, MacArthur issued a directive that reduced the sentences by one-third for good behavior and authorized the parole after fifteen years of those who had received life sentences. Several of those who were imprisoned were released earlier on parole due to ill health.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mandoric posted:

That said America will never let Asians, even Asians cosplaying limeys, take a position of authority. The Atlanticists are chasing the phantom of the "do what western academics think they themselves should do" strategy that worked in the 1880s and 1950s but can't handle the ḑ̵̢̡͚͕͍͈̱̘̮͓̭̽̑̍̑͌͆͌̆̕͝͝e̸͉͕̽́̃̉̃̅͆̓̊̋ç̷̙̜͚͉͓̈́̍l̴̜͕̳̟̖̯͉̗̅̿̇̈̀̿̂̒̃̕͜͝ͅi̵̡̦̳̬̰̫̫̫͑̂̊̂͒͒͋̏̆̉̎̐̎̑̕n̷̼̼̱̼̈́͗͛̏͛͑e̷̹̳͕̝̤̽̏̑̽͑̏̃̓̀͝ ̷̡͕̘̲̭͈̞̗̻̼̙̆̎͝į̸̺̜͓͚̝̰̩̬̋͗̋̐̇̂̐́̌͐̽ͅn̷̢͚̪̘̝̦̭̝͉̦̂͌͐̌͛̊͋̈̐͒̆̕͝͝ ̴̡͖̻͈̗͙͈̟͉̭͂̿̅̀̕ţ̶̡̢͔̺̻̦̫͔͙͇̥̮͍͊̋̄̀ḩ̸̱̞̥̼̺̀̋̓͂̀̑́̄́̎͘͠ȩ̴͚͖͓̜͈̘̘̟̗͗͒̊̿͛͆͊̒̋ͅ ̷̜̝͈͙͙̟̗̳͚̼̼̼̮̄̅̽r̷̩̙͇̭̐̊̈́͒̔̉̃̾͋̀͘͝͝͝a̵̡͇̖̠̪͚̲͓͍͔̍͋̏͒̌̀̽͊͠͠ţ̴͈̰̟͈̭̲̋̅͂͛̉͆̀͐ĕ̵̛̜̒̾̌́̾̈́͂̽̑̊͑̃ ̷̛̲̈́̓̈̓̓̈̂͆͗̈̏̑̚͠o̵̧̧̖̫̜͆͑̿̄̈́͊̈́͊̋̕͝͠͠f̷̭̳̦̩͓̣͓̮͙̙͖͍̹̈́͗̃͐̽̽̅̚͠ ̴̡͇̤̳̭̟̖͆́͋͑̾̾̆̽̂̇͘p̶̛͚͔̼̔̔͒̍̈́̀̾͋̋r̵̢̨̨̖̘̯̣̯͖͓̲̈́́͋̓͛̎͋̎̒͒̚ơ̴͖̙̘̹̥̤̈́͒̅͛̔̆̂f̶̢̛͕̯͛̓̿͊͋̌̃̍̍̈́́̆͝ȋ̴͖̳̜̫̈́͌̊̎̈́̍̉̈́̑̈́͒̚̕̕t̴̛̖̩͉̝̻̆̋̆̈̌̈́̉͗̆, and the neoimperialists are Trumpian blowhards who just know that looking street gets them elected.

I've said for a while that Japan really has been ahead of us the entire time, including the total economic immiseration of everyone after the Boomers.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Japan is managing a 1% rise in GDP a year gracefully compared to how America will deal with it.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Nobusuke "oh poo poo oh gently caress" Kishi, to those who get history from mapgames. and the cowards who make those mods those are stepping away from that, they should be ashamed, that's a straight-up "enemies appear as angels" event like the new VS stage. But it happened, with CIA approval! :nsa:

E: You get a 1940s Japanese fascism that is actually the liberals giving a fash medals until he won't shoot them when he's on leave! You get a 1940s Japanese fascism that is actually the liberals giving a fash medals until he won't shoot them when he's on leave! Everyone here is getting a 1940s Japanese fascism that is actually the liberals giving lots of the fash medals until they won't shoot them personally, but they can go shoot the proletariat and the social fascists equally without question. It is the loving garbage of a failed history just let the dolphins rule in a few million years, customized to let the :snakes:s make SURE it's ruined.

Mandoric has issued a correction as of 05:46 on Jul 11, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I feel like the hand-wringing over discussion on the "Chinternet" is somewhat overblown and a bit dated at this juncture.

The proudly scurrilous nature of China's "netizens" and their seemingly endless capacity to deploy homonyms and/or re-use the terms of officialdom with massive overdoses of sarcasm seems to render the GFW and other tools of harmonisation moot.

For example, Friday saw heavy weibo mention of the mando-pop song "shame its not you / "可惜不是你“ following Abe Shinzo's death.

The unspecified target of the comment was XJP. These comments existed openly and are very much In stark contrast to the unofficially desirable hyper-nationalistic alternative.

It keeps happening, and while the party can change your QR code, it is widely recognised that for the party to act in such a fashion is too politically expensive a gambit.

As such, the situation exists that the youth defacto have free reign to openly 'sarcastically' wish death upon the Chairman without fear of reprisal.

I am cogniscent of the very problematic chilling effect on public open academic debate beyond the cheap shots of sarcastic wit. But, I feel it will be a short lived condition.

When a not small proportion of the younger generation seem to be quite happy to turn what would normally be a cesspool of vitriol against a "common enemy" into a thinly veiled death threat to the current leadership, it is the leadership with a problem, not the kids.

As ugly as it sounds, I'm proud to see this in the generations behind mine. Similarly, the kids in HK who took charges for holding a blank sheet of paper in public".

The problematic hyper-nationalistic 'little pinks' and the 'wolf-warrior diplomats' are reliant on a cohesive narrative. It seems very apparent that maintaining that narrative is an open struggle given that the Party is in open warfare mode to the extent that the PM is contradicting the Chairman.

It's also apparent that those problem groups have been instructed to dial back their rhetoric. I read today (belatedly) that the party is recently admitting to errors in COVID response/financial management/and diplomacy.

I feel that is redundant to mention here, but this 'honest and vulnerable' approach will obviously only last as long as it takes to sign a new trade deal.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
sounds the prc has also successfully sublimated revolt and revolutionary zeal amongst their populace into harmless posting

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Chinternet' is a new one and sounds amazingly racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

fart simpson posted:

thats not really true. theres good chinese cinema

don’t disagree, but even good Chinese cinema isn’t as technically proficient as the good American stuff

it’s not like america is innately better at movies or anything, both are cesspools of consumerist garbage and government interference, American cinema is just more mature/developed