Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

DoombatINC posted:

im watching this uselessly awful (yet weirdly star-studded) low budget horror franchise called Mirror Mirror and you're all totally safe not thinking about it ever BUT the third movie does have the distinction of the latest opening credits ive ever seen in a feature film, with the title not appearing until eighteen actual minutes into the movie

Drive my car got nominated for an Oscar and it’s like 53 minutes into that 3 hour movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

loquacius posted:

This just got promoted-tweeted to me

https://twitter.com/AppleTVPlus/status/1538855235065630721?t=TvEgbv4AIzOLMDsc509-LA&s=19

Why am I getting the distinct idea the billionaire is the protagonist of this show and you are supposed to cheer for her

i recently subscribed to apple one to check it out and holy lol scrolling through the content on apple tv+ is like being trapped inside a verhoeven universe, there’s at least three separate oprah series and everything looks like it came from the fevered dreams of the insane wealthy white executive vampires who host their events

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Wheeee posted:

everything looks like it came from the fevered dreams of the insane wealthy white executive vampires who host their events

well…

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

Natalie Portman sucked poo poo, looked awful as a blond, had zero chemistry with Hemsworth, and they should have made it about someone else like big titty lady from the first two movies

ive been fascinated at how this movie was originally promoted as being like what happened in the comics when some chick turned into thor and did some badass feminist quips but like everything ive heard about the movie since then makes it sound like everyone involved realized this was a terrible idea and just desperately threw any other random crap they could think of into the story to keep from actually having to deliver on that concept

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I’m curious about Waititi playing at auteur and how that manifests in the film, because I find it weird and off-putting in interviews, but maybe Disney reined him in too much for any problems with the movie to really be his fault.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m curious about Waititi’s threesome with Tessa Thompson

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Frosted Flake posted:

I’m curious about Waititi playing at auteur and how that manifests in the film, because I find it weird and off-putting in interviews, but maybe Disney reined him in too much for any problems with the movie to really be his fault.

I liked it. Wasn’t as good as Ragnorak but had jokes, spectacle, and a relatively interesting villain munching all the scenery. A fun, pretty, dumb, popcorn movie. I don’t know what people were expecting, but it’s not really fair that this got the weight of the overdue Marvel backlash, it’s the best one in some time - and I literally have a child with the first name Raimi.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just watched two episodes of Mythic Quest, and parts of it rang super true to my experiences at an actual game company but others made no sense, like, multiple people would have been fired and sued already, what people's jobs actually are is kind of wishy-washy, and game QA is WAY more soul-crushing than they portray it as

Still seems ok so far, and I appreciate that it appears to have been made by people who actually play video games unlike a lot of video-game-related TV

Slight lol that the only two characters that seem like references to specific real people are based on RA Salvatore and Pewdiepie

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

loquacius posted:

Just watched two episodes of Mythic Quest…
Too familiar to me just from tech firms. I watched a season before I realized that was the Tiny Tina voice actor. Also it’s cool that Charlie Day is a credited writer and never appears.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Remulak posted:

I liked it. Wasn’t as good as Ragnorak but had jokes, spectacle, and a relatively interesting villain munching all the scenery. A fun, pretty, dumb, popcorn movie. I don’t know what people were expecting, but it’s not really fair that this got the weight of the overdue Marvel backlash, it’s the best one in some time - and I literally have a child with the first name Raimi.

i havent watched th4r but after watching dr 2trange madness, that poo poo absolutely should have got the full weight of an overdue backlash because it was loving terrible. even as a dumb popcorn movie it couldn't even be good for the one thing they could be good for.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Remulak posted:

Too familiar to me just from tech firms. I watched a season before I realized that was the Tiny Tina voice actor. Also it’s cool that Charlie Day is a credited writer and never appears.

Rob McElhenney kind of made fun of him for this on the Always Sunny podcast. Apparently Charlie doesn't really do anything for the show at all and is content getting credit for it anyway.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Xaris posted:

i havent watched th4r but after watching dr 2trange madness, that poo poo absolutely should have got the full weight of an overdue backlash because it was loving terrible. even as a dumb popcorn movie it couldn't even be good for the one thing they could be good for.

That reminded me of something

“The incredible success of Abie’s Irish Rose caused incredible consternation among those who disliked it. Most famously, Robert Benchley, who wrote one-sentence descriptions for the theatre listings in Life magazine, waged an on-going war with the play. A sample of his work shows a variety of critical strategies: hostility, sarcasm, condescension, resignation, and avoidance through surreal non-sequitur:

•    Denounced continuously as cheap by this department since last May, but apparently unconscious of the fact.
•    All right if you never went beyond the fourth grade.
•    People laugh at this every night, which explains why a democracy can never be a success.

•    A-ha-ha-ha-ha! Oh, well, all right.
•    We were only fooling all the time. It’s a great show.
•    Showing that the Jews and the Irish crack equally old jokes.
•    Come on, now! A joke’s a joke.
•    The Phoenicians were among the early settlers of Britain.
•    Closing soon (Only fooling).
•    We give up.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I liked Rob McElhenney's character a lot because they seemed to be setting him up as a douchebag character who is always wrong but I unironically took his side immediately in the first conflict the show had

The head of engineering should know better than to add a new game mechanic without asking anyone, and if it's boring nobody will buy it. She came off more like an entry-level dev (and appears to be the appropriate age for that too lol, she should be like 15 years older)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
oh also the bad guy in Thor was right and I was rooting for him 100%. he never even had one of those obvious-rewrite heel turns in the third act, he was just right the entire time. I think he should of killed all the gods.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

he probably feels like he can make fun of how lovely his movie looks because its completely out of his control

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

indigi posted:

oh also the bad guy in Thor was right and I was rooting for him 100%. he never even had one of those obvious-rewrite heel turns in the third act, he was just right the entire time. I think he should of killed all the gods.

That was basically Kratos' position and he was pretty cool.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

lol Jesus I thought you were joking about a Marvel show depiction Partition

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c_FInsdT_AE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_0cZzjsDiF4

Dr Who did an episode too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpO2S4GXCiA

with the exact same plot beat about using time travel to meet a grandmother?

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Kevin smith hasn’t personally made anything good or funny in years, if ever, but I like that he seems to have a lot of respect for true independent filmmakers and is willing to throw money into losing projects just to give little guys a leg up. It’s actually kind of sad how few mainstream auteurs are willing to produce or distribute actual small films imo.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just looked up his filmography and have never heard of the jay and silent bob reboot from 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

indigi posted:

big thanos energy in this post

thanos was kinda right too

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

TheSlutPit posted:

Kevin smith hasn’t personally made anything good or funny in years, if ever, but I like that he seems to have a lot of respect for true independent filmmakers and is willing to throw money into losing projects just to give little guys a leg up. It’s actually kind of sad how few mainstream auteurs are willing to produce or distribute actual small films imo.

I feel this too. I always got the impression that he’s always scraping every dollar and resource he can into doing what he loves with people he likes. I was asked to work on Clerks 3 and it fell through for me because their start dates kept getting pushed back by weeks. Shame about the scripts though.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Arivia posted:

big thanos energy in this post

thanos was kinda right too

killing half the population sets the clock back 50 years at most, after which you’re at the same exact situation. the mass murder : actual effect ratio is completely hosed.

what he should have doing is snapped every males sperm count way down

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Best Friends posted:

killing half the population sets the clock back 50 years at most, after which you’re at the same exact situation. the mass murder : actual effect ratio is completely hosed.

ah, so one of those "snap your fingers and give everyone free estrogen" dreams i keep having gotcha

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

loquacius posted:

Just watched two episodes of Mythic Quest, and parts of it rang super true to my experiences at an actual game company but others made no sense, like, multiple people would have been fired and sued already, what people's jobs actually are is kind of wishy-washy, and game QA is WAY more soul-crushing than they portray it as

youve worked at a game company? how would you rate free guy in terms of accurate depiction of the game company experience

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

Dr Who did an episode too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpO2S4GXCiA

with the exact same plot beat about using time travel to meet a grandmother?

so is everyone just trying to do the Very Serious Episode thing that watchmen did with tulsa massacre and just being completely oblivious to the fact that the only reason it works at all is because in continuity it takes place before all the dumb superhero bullshit got started

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Best Friends posted:

while its true that the premise to what thanos wants to do is inherently flawed his motivation is so comically underexposited the movie accidentally makes it seem like his opinions are intrinsically correct just because no one really talks about them they just go wargle bargle killing countless people is wrong while thanos does the calm hitler routine

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Some Guy TT posted:

while its true that the premise to what thanos wants to do is inherently flawed his motivation is so comically underexposited the movie accidentally makes it seem like his opinions are intrinsically correct just because no one really talks about them they just go wargle bargle killing countless people is wrong while thanos does the calm hitler routine

Makes sense when you realise liberals understand tone and not content and still have literally no response to the calm hitler routine

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Nonsense posted:

was wondering why Dan got out when he did

i saw an interview where he said it was because they didn't give him any creative input. and when working on Wrestlemania and standing next to Steve Austin he realized the job would never get better than that moment and it was time to quit

also he's described McMahon as both a genius showman and an exploitive piece of poo poo, so this news might not surprise him

Durf has issued a correction as of 08:45 on Jul 11, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

loquacius posted:

This just got promoted-tweeted to me

https://twitter.com/AppleTVPlus/status/1538855235065630721?t=TvEgbv4AIzOLMDsc509-LA&s=19

Why am I getting the distinct idea the billionaire is the protagonist of this show and you are supposed to cheer for her

I’ve been seeing advertising for this for a month or so. it looks terrible. someone watch it and report back.

e: nytimes review is pretty negative

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/23/arts/television/loot-review-maya-rudolph.html posted:

If you’re going to center a sitcom on a character who, post-divorce, is the third-richest woman in America, casting Maya Rudolph is a smart move.

Molly Novak, the heroine of the new Apple TV+ series “Loot,” is a tech gazillionaire’s soon-to-be-ex wife who is kind and funny and, as played by Rudolph, childishly delighted by her lavish lifestyle. Rudolph’s seamless blend of wisecracking bravado and unassuming charm — among contemporary actresses, she’s the easiest to imagine in a 1930s Hollywood comedy — keeps us on Molly’s side as she overhauls her life and her attitudes across 10 episodes.

For one of those episodes, it’s easy to be on the side of “Loot,” too. The show opens with Molly en route to the oversized yacht that her husband, John (Adam Scott), is giving her for her 45th birthday. “Can we turn the sun down, like, 20 percent?” she asks, half seriously, simultaneously mocking and celebrating their megarich status.

The caricature of extreme wealth is, in the first episode, unrelenting and pretty funny, from Seal’s guest appearance to sing “Happy Birthday” (he’s upset to learn that Michael Bolton sang it at one of Molly’s earlier birthdays) to Molly’s awkward attempts to open the doors of John’s candy-colored, aerodynamic sports cars. That screwball energy resurfaces here and there later in the series, particularly in a running gag featuring David Chang as Molly’s personal chef, constantly apologizing that his restaurants take his attention away from her.

That first half-hour is action packed: Molly and John’s marriage predictably implodes; Molly emerges from their divorce with $87 billion and goes on a transcontinental partying jag; finally, back in Los Angeles and feeling lost, she gets a phone call from the director of the charitable foundation she didn’t know she had and decides to check it out.

And then “Loot,” for the most part, goes off a cliff, the pleasures of the first episode feeling more and more like the setup for a joke that never arrives. Satire takes a holiday, replaced by tired workplace comedy, unconvincing romantic comedy and a level of sentimentality that’s beyond even what the show’s creators, Alan Yang and Matt Hubbard, could have gotten away with when they worked on “Parks and Recreation.”

Some of this can be blamed on the general pablum-for-the-pandemic effect that has gripped situation comedy for the last few years. But the problems with “Loot” go beyond that. It’s understandable that the show wants to make Molly as sympathetic as possible, but it presents her with hardly any conflict at all beyond her own comic weaknesses; Scott, whose plastered-on smarm is perfect for John, hardly shows up after the opening.

You can feel a juggling act going on: The show wants to mock Molly’s privileged cluelessness and then also, as her work with the foundation reorients her moral compass (or simply shames her), to score points for reforming her and for offering facile reflections on class and gender. Its attempt to make that straddle is halfhearted, however — one indication of the show’s divided consciousness is the strange way in which no one comments on Molly’s wealth, or acts strangely around her, unless there’s a particular message being delivered.

Most of the time is taken up by the mildly amusing, limply formulaic high jinks of the foundation staff, who include the forbidding director, Sofia (Michaela Jaé Rodriguez of “Pose”), a sweetheart of a tech guy (Ron Funches) and a normie accountant with a crush on Molly (Nat Faxon). They’re all fine, and Joel Kim Booster, as Molly’s personal assistant, can be bitingly funny when the script gives him a chance. But their roles are so softly drawn that their performances don’t have a chance to register.

Rudolph, meanwhile, sails through “Loot” like the captain of Molly’s gigantic yacht, oblivious to the rough waters. The show is structured as a series of epiphanies, as Molly takes her journey of self-discovery and learns how the little people think; Rudolph, with her extraordinarily expressive features, makes us feel every new revelation. She can’t make us forget, though, that the first episode’s depiction of the fakery of privilege is the only real thing in the show.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 08:47 on Jul 11, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

is the person who wrote that review loving maya rudolph or something its kind of a mixed message to talk about how great she is when the rest of the show apparently sucks so much

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

I’ve been seeing advertising for this for a month or so. it looks terrible. someone watch it and report back.

C-trek, to boldly watch what shouldn't be watched.

or Star-spam?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

Natalie Portman sucked poo poo, looked awful as a blond, had zero chemistry with Hemsworth, and they should have made it about someone else like big titty lady from the first two movies

everyone says movies these days are sexless but i think we ascribe too much of this to deliberate intent by disney et al rather than theyre just being too lazy and half-assed at this point to try and cast actors for chemistry

honestly considering how condescending hollywood is to romance as a genre i think theres an excellent chance they dont even believe chemistry is real and that all they have to do to make a compelling romantic pairing is to tell the actors to act harder

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Some Guy TT posted:

everyone says movies these days are sexless but i think we ascribe too much of this to deliberate intent by disney et al rather than theyre just being too lazy and half-assed at this point to try and cast actors for chemistry

honestly considering how condescending hollywood is to romance as a genre...

i think lazy and half-assed is 80% of it; look at how these $500 million budget flicks are just extremely sloppy and no one gives a poo poo (nor should they) between writing, cgi, sets, props, whatever. but also just the line about condescending inherently means deliberate (or negligent) intent.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 10:02 on Jul 11, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i meant more in the artistic sense its kind of nuts to think that woody allen romcoms used to be regular oscar contenders and now the whole genre is just treated like mud that needs to be scraped off shoes and washed off in the gutter

like what was the last romance movie to even get good press i can only think of crazy rich asians youre way more likely to get weirdly cynical stuff like lala land where the moral is that love is dumb and you should chase outrageously implausible bootstraps fantasies instead

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

indigi posted:

they should have made it about someone else like big titty lady from the first two movies

yeah sure, just release it straight to streaming so you can watch it on mute

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

like what was the last romance movie to even get good press i can only think of crazy rich asians youre way more likely to get weirdly cynical stuff like lala land where the moral is that love is dumb and you should chase outrageously implausible bootstraps fantasies instead

A Star is Born?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

There is a rabid fanbase of tumblrbrained white women who think watiti is queercoded or something for having 80s british sketch comedy vibes.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

C-trek, to boldly watch what shouldn't be watched.

I clicked the link in the latest QCS ADTRW drama and NO THANK YOU

sometimes you should not watch what shouldn't be watched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Tankbuster posted:

There is a rabid fanbase of tumblrbrained white women who think watiti is queercoded or something for having 80s british sketch comedy vibes.
im gunna ship lin manuel miranda and taika watiti :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

tbf i think most of that is probably from Our Flag Means Death where the show is explicitly about being gay pirates

but uh yeah tumblrbrain gunna tumble, he's straight with kids lol