Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Mr. Nice! posted:

The navy struggling to keep good officers in? I’m shocked!

Enlisting in the Seabees was very stupid, but not as stupid as if I'd listened to Mr. Nice! and our good friend who is now a LCDR as they repeatedly told me I'd be a great SWO and to go that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
O-4 shore duty loving owns*, I'm never promoting.

*YMMV, presumably there are shore duties out there where you have to do actual work or deal with assholes all day

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I'm sure Spain and Germany and Hawaii are cool and all, but where other than Fallon can you get an official weather condition of "smoke"? :allears:

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Fallon is such a shithole. My buddy married an AO out of Fallon and they lasted like 6 months or whatever of him constantly driving out to Fallon to spend half a day with her in a desert.

I made sure his bachelor party was lit though so for me the marriage was worth.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The navy struggling to keep good officers in? I’m shocked!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

When’s the next magic tourney?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Crab Dad posted:

I had to have a serious discussion with a civilian instructor at FC A school because he was playing too much MTG in classes.

Imagine a 30 year old first class having to have this discussion with a retired chief in his late 50s.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Crab Dad posted:

Man, I would love to have another one but my current crew seems terrified of me for some reason ( 🙁 ) and I'd end up being the only one playing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

piL posted:

Bring back the bicorne.

Not an emptyquote.

PneumonicBook posted:

Fallon is such a shithole. My buddy married an AO out of Fallon and they lasted like 6 months or whatever of him constantly driving out to Fallon to spend half a day with her in a desert.

I made sure his bachelor party was lit though so for me the marriage was worth.

I still don't understand why TOPGUN was moved from Miramar to Assend, NV. Like you could explain it to me a million times and I still won't understand.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

Man, I would love to have another one but my current crew seems terrified of me for some reason ( 🙁 ) and I'd end up being the only one playing.

Well if you ever need a IT1 to lighten the mood my schedule is open.

I just won a FNM last week so I’m on a roll!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Wait. You people have Magic players in your commands? I think I’ve run into maybe 5 folks total over 16 years who play or played MtG. All the nerds I’ve served with play Pokémon.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Not an emptyquote.

I still don't understand why TOPGUN was moved from Miramar to Assend, NV. Like you could explain it to me a million times and I still won't understand.

What's funny, and I never loving realized it on my own, is that most of the training scenes in the movie WERE shot on the Fallon range. What's weird is that the exterior shot of the control tower for the flyby was, too. I don't know why they did that, it's a very unimpressive tower (and is now home to the weather shop, not ATC).

Even if the Navy kept Miramar, I still would've been stuck at Fallon because Strike has been there since day 1.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

What's funny, and I never loving realized it on my own, is that most of the training scenes in the movie WERE shot on the Fallon range. What's weird is that the exterior shot of the control tower for the flyby was, too. I don't know why they did that, it's a very unimpressive tower (and is now home to the weather shop, not ATC).

Even if the Navy kept Miramar, I still would've been stuck at Fallon because Strike has been there since day 1.

If I remember correctly, they used an exterior shot of the Fallon tower because they forgot to set up cameras outside of the Miramar tower when they initially filmed the flyby.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

AlternateNu posted:

Wait. You people have Magic players in your commands? I think I’ve run into maybe 5 folks total over 16 years who play or played MtG. All the nerds I’ve served with play Pokémon.

A lot of people “use to play” so if you provide the cards for them it’s a lot easier to find players. I travel with a few premade decks and can usually find a person or two to kill a few hours with.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

There was a SEAL instructor that used to play magic tournaments with the A and C school kids at the NEX in great lakes.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

AlternateNu posted:

nukes fuckin love Magic. RC div especially because they can afford it with their 6 figure reenlistment bonuses

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Well, lineshack is about to have a not fun day.

Magic-chat, our nerd collective in the wardroom is large enough we brought a couple booster boxes out to deployment to do draft nights.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cerekk posted:

nukes fuckin love Magic. RC div especially because they can afford it with their 6 figure reenlistment bonuses

It’s all in how you play. I’m collecting a “cube” of faux sealed packs so I can practice drafting with my kids. The cards come from exactly one set and the packs are generated from a huge list of people with more money than sense who cracked them open. Takes 3 packs to draft and 4 players so 12 packs. I’m creating 24 packs that I can just reset or creat new ones from. The majority of the cards from the set are inexpensive so each pack is roughly $4 to create.
Doesn’t take up nearly as much room as trying to drag your collection around and doesn’t require anyone else to bring theirs so it’s ideal.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Cerekk posted:

My last boat probably 50% of the crew played, we had a halfway night tournament, the (later fired) CO even won some cards on a Field Day auction and played a couple friendly games with a loaner deck. While we were stuck in Guam every time the NEX got a shipment of cards in they were sold out the next day. Funny enough TM-div and A-gang were the big magic players, not the nukes, the nukes on both boats I've been on tended more towards "bitter alcoholic" than "nerd".

As for Nukes loving it, I was involved in an investigation for one of my students when I was a staff instructor, because he spent all his money on MTG, then started shoplifting cards from Walmart.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

Nobody wants to play games with the person who can end their career. Life as a CO is a lonely one.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

Nobody wants to play games with the person who can end their career. Life as a CO is a lonely one.

“Let the COokie win”.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/n...830f0600bc474c6

:(

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

orange juche posted:

Just force your JOs to play cribbage with you like a normal CO. Preferably when they are attempting to leave the meal to relieve the watch.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

gently caress. :(

Every time I read this poo poo it just reminds me of my second ship. We were on a 5th FLT deployment, got to pull into Oman for a couple days, and I get back to the ship one afternoon to find one of our ENFNs getting stretchered off the ship because he got electrocuted cleaning up Main 1. He died on the way to the hospital. I got to do the CI since I was the LEGALO, and turns out he backed into an open breaker panel that wasn't loving tagged out while mopping up some seawater leakage. Straight ground to the hull. He wasn't even our sailor. He volunteered off one of our squadron's DDGs because they were in the yards, and he wanted to get his quals done.

CO was loving livid (rightfully so) and wanted blood. He rejected my initial findings report because I didn't have a recommendation in there charging someone with an Article 119 (manslaughter).

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 11, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AlternateNu posted:

gently caress. :(

Every time I read this poo poo it just reminds me of my second ship. We were on a 5th FLT deployment, got to pull into Oman for a couple days, and I get back to the ship one afternoon to find one of our ENFNs getting stretchered off the ship because he got electrocuted cleaning up Main 1. He died on the way to the hospital. I got to do the CI since I was the LEGALO, and turns out he backed into an open breaker panel that wasn't loving tagged out while mopping up some seawater leakage. Straight ground to the hull. He wasn't even our sailor. He volunteered off one of our squadron's DDGs because they were in the yards, and he wanted to get his quals done.

CO was loving livid (rightfully so) and wanted blood. He rejected my initial findings report because I didn't have a recommendation in there charging someone with an Article 119 (manslaughter).

Jesus gently caress, did anyone ever get charged?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Cerekk posted:

Just force your JOs to play cribbage with you like a normal CO. Preferably when they are attempting to leave the meal to relieve the watch.

I had my CO call back to maneuvering 5 minutes after I relieved for the midwatch and tell them "have Petty Officer Elviscat report to my stateroom" (to turn in my EDPO lookups).

Get to his stateroom, door's closed.

Wait 10 minutes, knock.

"Hey, I'm playing cribbage with the COB, just hang out for a few minutes"

An hour and a half later he lets me in, dude who had to rerelieve me was pissed.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Navy command structures are garbage shitheaps, video at 11.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Jesus gently caress, did anyone ever get charged?

No. We ended up putting the charging recommendations in what we sent up to the JAG, but after discussing the situation with them and the NCIS agent assigned for their investigation, they agreed that there wasn't enough information to prove culpable negligence. Also IIRC, that panel had been under constant maintenance for days by that point, and we didn't have the papertrail to definitively prove who left it open. Pretty sure the CO nuked the CHENG, ELECTRO, and division chief's next FITREPs, though.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 11, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AlternateNu posted:

Pretty sure the CO nuked the CHENG, ELECTRO, and division chief's next FITREPs, though.

Good.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://www.navy.mil/Press-Office/P...CZJjhk.facebook

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

orange juche posted:

Normally I'd agree with you, but I didn't have that problem with my past commands. I was able to find some folks who challenged me at Mario Kart though

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

AlternateNu posted:

No. We ended up putting the charging recommendations in what we sent up to the JAG, but after discussing the situation with them and the NCIS agent assigned for their investigation, they agreed that there wasn't enough information to prove culpable negligence. Also IIRC, that panel had been under constant maintenance for days by that point, and we didn't have the papertrail to definitively prove who left it open. Pretty sure the CO nuked the CHENG, ELECTRO, and division chief's next FITREPs, though.

Lol you had an exposed main breaker for days and couldnt track down who was working on it last? Sounds like the whole ship should have been charged

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

Normally I'd agree with you, but I didn't have that problem with my past commands. I was able to find some folks who challenged me at Mario Kart though

"Stop using the blue shell or I will gently caress your FITREP up" -MML probably

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
“Hello fellow Sailors, let’s have a seaman filled day!” - John Paul Jones, probably.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Grip it and rip it posted:

Lol you had an exposed main breaker for days and couldnt track down who was working on it last? Sounds like the whole ship should have been charged

Not gonna argue.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

“Hello fellow Sailors, let’s have a seaman filled day!” - John Paul Jones, probably.

Sorry, I just had a flashback to my last CMC and drat near put a hole in my wall

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
My captain was livid the USCG kept pushing back a davit inspection to go hang out on the Mercy but it sounds like they were looking into sexual assault by the chief mate over there.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

lightpole posted:

My captain was livid the USCG kept pushing back a davit inspection to go hang out on the Mercy but it sounds like they were looking into sexual assault by the chief mate over there.

The Gcaptain comments are all about how rusty the Mercy is and the difference between an XO and a CM.

…yeah we don’t have a problem as an industry.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

FrozenVent posted:

The Gcaptain comments are all about how rusty the Mercy is and the difference between an XO and a CM.

…yeah we don’t have a problem as an industry.

I forgot about it cause about 10 min after reading it one of my loving idiots told me about their drunken arrest for stealing a car despite my best efforts to know absolutely FUCKJNG NOTHING. I'm impressed my captain got them back on board and managed to keep it so quiet.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jul 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Jesus Christ y’all don’t insta-fire on unwaivered criminal records?