Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
This feels very similar to everyone's surprise that Cruise had his first $100M opening weekend with Maverick. It's a different time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't have like exact numbers but something I remember from the 80s and 90s was there were also less showings of a movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

live with fruit posted:

This feels very similar to everyone's surprise that Cruise had his first $100M opening weekend with Maverick. It's a different time.

Eh, that one I get because his last 3 MI movies have made $700-800mil each.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

muscles like this! posted:

I don't have like exact numbers but something I remember from the 80s and 90s was there were also less showings of a movie.

Multiplexes weren't really a thing back then.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah when I was a kid I think a theater had maybe 4 screens max.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

muscles like this! posted:

We also didn't have the weird "super advanced sneak peek showing" at 9pm on a Thursday, either.

Plus some tickets are like $20.

Lots of factors

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Saw Love & Thunder today and it was very much an ok movie. Whatever review that said it was carried by its ending was right because I really could have done with way less Korg. Also it felt like a very sanitized and by the numbers movie which was jarring given the God Butcher storyline in the books is metal as gently caress. And now here... no one loving dies. Ok Jane sacrifices herself at the end and Gorr bites it after getting his wish but outside of the opening, throughout the film, NO ONE dies. Town gets attacked? Guess everyone survived, some injuries at worst? No word on the dead. Zeus? not dead. Korg? Not dead. Sif? Not dead. The loving CHILDREN THOR CONSTRIPS TO FIGHTING SHADOW ABOMINATIONS WHAT THE gently caress? Nah they're all cool and held off with borrowed power no loving problem. It undercut the gently caress out of Gorr and what the movie claimed he was doing / being capable of when literal loving children did ok against his monsters. The goats were funny but just like Korg they just wouldn't loving stop and at one point it stopped being funny.

Seriously, Bale was loving awesome as Gorrr but they botched the story. Hell they could have given Thor the lines from Odin when Jane is making the sacrifice "What is she doing? Dying like a God". Anyways, hopefully Dad Thor is less stupid than this Thor and that Love ends up being Singularity or something cool.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lord Hydronium posted:

Edit: More thoughts: I do appreciate that this one is less willing than Ragnarok to undercut every serious moment with a joke. Thor gives about three inspirational speeches, and only one that I can recall ends in a gag (the temple collapsing).

That one did serve a purpose as well. The way I understood it was that Thor helped them but also screwed up so the blue people "thanked" him with screaming goats. And being the himbo that he is Thor unironically was cool with it and then totally made it work later.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Recruiting and using children under the age of 15 as soldiers is prohibited under international humanitarian law – treaty and custom – and is defined as a war crime by the International Criminal Court.

Thor no....

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I don't think the realm of Eternity or whatever that was is covered under that rule.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Thor also Robin'd Love.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Timby posted:

Multiplexes weren't really a thing back then.

This.

Phantom Menace opened on 2700 screens. Thor 4 opened on 4400.

And that's in spite of the fact that there are nearly 1/3 fewer THEATERS compared to 1999.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

FilthyImp posted:

We also didn't have the weird "super advanced sneak peek showing" at 9pm on a Thursday, either.

Plus some tickets are like $20.

Lots of factors

Phantom Menace opened on a Wednesday. Non-matinee tickets ranged between $7 and $9 for its opening weekend, which equates to $13-$15 today. IMAX/3D will run you north of $20, but a standard non-matinee ticket is $10-$15 currently.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I'm contributing to the low box office of modern blockbusters by only ever going to the 11:15 showings for $5.50.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I'm contributing to the low box office of modern blockbusters by only ever going to the 11:15 showings for $5.50.
I'm contributing to not watching until it gets on Disney+ because of COVID and also just don't want to go to a packed theater to watch a Marvel movie since there will be someone acting obnoxious

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm contributing to not watching until it gets on Disney+ because of COVID and also just don't want to go to a packed theater to watch a Marvel movie since there will be someone acting obnoxious

That's the side benefit of going at 11 am. It's never crowded.

The only really obnoxious crowd reactions I have ever had was when a group of children were bawling their eyes out at the end of Infinity War when everyone died.

It was also pretty hilarious because they were asking their mom if "Spider-Man is really dead" and the mom just got a solemn look and said, "I don't know honey... I don't know."

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 11, 2022

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I am pro uncrowded morning movie except for the one time I saw Wreck it Ralph at 9AM and was a grown single man in a theater full of children and parents and felt like a huge creep.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm surprised nobody has said anything about the trans representation with Axl. I don't know if they got a trans actor, but that's definitely what the were going for, right? Because the last I checked, Astrid was a girl's name. It sweet they had Heimdall recognise his son's gender identity in the post-credits scene.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No, just a “lol funny name” joke.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He just really liked Axl Rose

And I mean, who doesn’t

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

He just really liked Axl Rose

And I mean, who doesn’t

The rest of Guns N Roses.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The rest of Guns N Roses.

:hmmyes:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Not anymore! (Two of the four, at least)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not anymore! (Two of the four, at least)

Oh? Who died?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Guns and Roses came back a couple of years ago with 3/5 of the original lineup. The other two are alive but not involved (Izzy and Steven Adler)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

And Axel can't sing worth a poo poo anymore.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Dead naming is not cool, whether the person is trans or not.

To paraphrase Howard Cosell after Muhammed Ali changed his name "A person has a right to be called what they want".

An interesting thing about Love and Thunder is that is shows that there are different levels of divine beings. The Gods like Odin, Zeus, Gorr's gods and such seemed to be this level beyond humanity/mortals but there are clearly things that are above them that us would see more as Gods. Eternity, The Living Tribunal, even Cthon seems to be on this level. I wonder where Celestials fit in that, probably between them.

In the lunchroom at work, someone had the TV on and Showcase was doing one of their "all movies in a franchise" thing with DCCU and i caught the start of Batman V Superman : The Case of the 2 Marthas and god drat i loving HATE the shot of Martha Waynes necklace around the gun and being broken by the gun as it fires. It makes zero sense how that even happened. Did the robber shove the guy up, through the necklace to point it at her face? What a weird and unnatural way to threaten someone. It doesn't even look cool, and yes I know that Frank Miller drew that scene, but it was dumb then too. Plus it shows that Miller has no idea what he's doing because pearl necklaces if broken don't let the pearls go everywhere, they are knots or something like that between each pearl so if it breaks they don't go all over the place.

Also caught a bit of Suicide Squad and there is no amount of cut footage that could make that movie decent. Unless the entire story and villain are removed and changed, and there was no Leto joker.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 11, 2022

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Regarding Axl:

I assume they were going for a "Teenager goes against their parent's wishes" argument through Thor, not specifically being transphobic. It felt bad, gross, and completely unfunny because dead naming is a thing used to demean, hurt, and insult people. Maybe they just didn't have anyone say "Hey this sucks here's why" or maybe they did and ignored it, who knows.

It really sticks out since later Thor tells Jane that he doesn't want her to use the hammer and die, even for him,, but it's her choice to make.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

There was something really thematically satisfying about Love and Thunder's ending fight with all the powered up kids. You've got all these adult characters grappling with the concept of aging and mortality, with Gorr lashing out at the gods as a result. We then see the flip of that being kids and their faith in their heroes, faith that's rewarded by Thor who empowers them so that using sticks and toys to pretend to be him actually grants the power to fight back the monsters literally crawling out of the shadows. The juxtaposition of adults fragile religious faith versus kids imagination and inherent trust in their loved ones. It's not the cleanest metaphor, but I think it's a big part of how so many seemingly disparate elements introduced earlier in the movie finally come together.

twistedmentat posted:

An interesting thing about Love and Thunder is that is shows that there are different levels of divine beings. The Gods like Odin, Zeus, Gorr's gods and such seemed to be this level beyond humanity/mortals but there are clearly things that are above them that us would see more as Gods. Eternity, The Living Tribunal, even Cthon seems to be on this level. I wonder where Celestials fit in that, probably between them.

We do see a couple of celestials looking in at the god meeting, so I'd assume those are on the same level as Zeus and Thor. However, a statue to another celestial is also seen in the Eternity temple, so I guess it depends on which celestial is being referenced. I'm not to familiar with them in the comics, so I don't know if they are usually depicted with a hierarchy or not.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Regarding Axl:

I assume they were going for a "Teenager goes against their parent's wishes" argument through Thor, not specifically being transphobic. It felt bad, gross, and completely unfunny because dead naming is a thing used to demean, hurt, and insult people. Maybe they just didn't have anyone say "Hey this sucks here's why" or maybe they did and ignored it, who knows.

It really sticks out since later Thor tells Jane that he doesn't want her to use the hammer and die, even for him,, but it's her choice to make.

I don't think the film makers where siding with Thor in this specific scene. Given that he calls him Axl later in the movie, it seems to be another area where Thor is still growing as a person. It's also obvious that he wasn't trying to demean the kid. He just wanted to show respect to the kids father, who's one of the many people Thor has lost. Unfortunately, this lead to him being an rear end in the moment.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

glitchwraith posted:

We do see a couple of celestials looking in at the god meeting, so I'd assume those are on the same level as Zeus and Thor. However, a statue to another celestial is also seen in the Eternity temple, so I guess it depends on which celestial is being referenced. I'm not to familiar with them in the comics, so I don't know if they are usually depicted with a hierarchy or not.

They came to watch The Orgy

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Celestials are the kinkiest fuckers in the universe

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

glitchwraith posted:

It was probably The One Above All, which is the leader of the Celestials and their most powerful member, and who shares a name with the Marvel comics name for God (aka Jack Kirby). Powerful enough that it’s essence was used to repopulate all Celestials during a time in which all of the others had been killed and with nebulous enough cosmic power to warrant being listed amongst the abstract entities of the universe.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sanschel posted:

It was probably The One Above All, which is the leader of the Celestials and their most powerful member, and who shares a name with the Marvel comics name for God (aka Jack Kirby). Powerful enough that it’s essence was used to repopulate all Celestials during a time in which all of the others had been killed and with nebulous enough cosmic power to warrant being listed amongst the abstract entities of the universe.

Just so it’s clear, those are actually two different characters. There is a Celestial with that name and the God character you mention. The Celestial one looks like your average Celestial, he is their leader but is not God. I think you may have meant it that way but I just wanted to reiterate how dumb it is.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I highly doubt that the director who gave gay pirates and a they/them nonbinary protagonist is gonna have lovable himbo thor misgender a child on purpose.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Soonmot posted:

Yeah I highly doubt that the director who gave gay pirates and a they/them nonbinary protagonist is gonna have lovable himbo thor misgender a child on purpose.

It's definitely played that way. Korg is in the scene too repeatedly insisting that Thor should just call the kid what he wants, so Taika might have wanted to get the point across AND be the voice making that point.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry I didn't clarify because your post is right. I don't think Axyl is trans. The point can totally be mapped to that which is good. You call people the name they tell you. Just in this case it was because a kid really got into gnr.

As "good" as Disney has been with letting marvel put queer stuff in their shows and movies, having a transgender child is way cooler than I'll give them credit for.

Now if thor 5 brings in Angela and Sera, I'll take it back.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 12, 2022

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Thor's a big oaf who destroyed the castle he was trying to save. Him pushing back against Axl seems honest for his character. And I'm pretty sure he calls him Axl without issue from then on.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
it's like an allegory for a larger social issue, trek did them all the time

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

No joke, I know some people with young kids who saw L&T and were freaking out about answering the question "What's an orgy?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

MH Knights posted:

No joke, I know some people with young kids who saw L&T and were freaking out about answering the question "What's an orgy?"

I have a friend for whom this was a pointed gripe, especially in light of the scene in Ragnarok about Grandmaster’s orgies.