Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Smeef posted:

How did HK gently caress up so bad that it went from being the epicenter of Asian film, music, entertainment, etc., to basically nothing in about 10-20 years? I can imagine scenarios where HK is today what South Korea is, or at least somewhat still in the conversation.

Seems like the CCP did it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Smeef posted:

How did HK gently caress up so bad that it went from being the epicenter of Asian film, music, entertainment, etc., to basically nothing in about 10-20 years? I can imagine scenarios where HK is today what South Korea is, or at least somewhat still in the conversation.

The PRC controls it. Same reason China is the biggest country on Earth and has basically zero cultural exports.

It's not coincidental that the only real period of notable art in the PRC's history was the 80s. The government eased off people after Mao and culture flourished. Then the boot came back in 89 and it went away again. Similar thing occurred in the Soviet Union during the Khrushchev Thaw.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
There’s decent cultural exports from China. I know the store I work at has sold a lot of copies of Heaven’s Official Blessing by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Smeef posted:

As their neighbors developed, there was more competition. I remember watching japanese drama's in the late 90's and then boom korean invasion happened. Yes it was planned by korea giving out free copies of the dramas to their neighbors etc.

I remember again in one of these threads that the basical difference between ether a korea/japanese drama and american absurd comedy is basically the music.

But another point is that you have the chinese censors that basically dont want to feel any emotion. I m sure other goons can list all the weird rules but for example you cant have ghosts, you cant have time travel, and NO GAINT ALIEN ROBOTS THAT CHANGE SHAPE.

This dudes youtube channel does fun summaries of a bunch of movies and he does alot of asian films

his take on "you are not alone" was fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrtAQLB8fpc

Also spoke with an old taiwanese friend today, She said inflation and energy costs giving people the squeeze.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Vegetable posted:

The answer is China
I feel like it is this plus the cultural zeitgeist changing, just as much as action, romance, comedy, and drama movies drastically changed past that time period. For example, US comedy movies in the 2000s: Road Trip, American Pie, The Hangover, Scary Movie, and so on. We'll never get movies like that again because the times have changed and people want/expect/accept different things, along with people now finding those movies crass and embarrassing. HK cinema was in a golden period that was never meant to go forever, but the period allowed for all sorts of creative movies that would probably never get past a screenplay skim today. Can you imagine American Pie getting a barely serious reading in 2022? It would be absurd to give that piece of poo poo any attention, but in the 2000s it was pure comedy gold. How many Chow Yun Fat or John Woo movies would get approved today? Probably very few, if any.

This is all said while HK movies like "Dream Home," which feature a pregnant woman's stomach getting stomped to jelly are still showing on streaming services abroad, lol.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Blistex posted:

Is that the one where the guy with the donkey dick is given some sort of toxic Spanish Fly and cums a geyser of blood?

Hong Kong cinema was so crazy/funny/awesome.

You might be onto something!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

The PRC controls it. Same reason China is the biggest country on Earth and has basically zero cultural exports.

It's not coincidental that the only real period of notable art in the PRC's history was the 80s. The government eased off people after Mao and culture flourished. Then the boot came back in 89 and it went away again. Similar thing occurred in the Soviet Union during the Khrushchev Thaw.
As someone in the Sinosphere I know China has some cultural exports. Its TV dramas and talent shows are all the rage in Chinese-speaking communities around the world. The best guzhuang dramas these days come from China, not Hong Kong, and it’s not even close.

That said, it is true that for a country of their size this footprint is remarkably underwhelming. Pop music from China is a hot pile of garbage and has next to no cultural impact in the broader Mandarin-speaking world. The judging panel of their music competitions always include some laughable local “legend” alongside actual titans of industry from Taiwan. It’s funny.

Their mainstream movies are unwatchable, but the same applies to Hong Kong and Taiwan.

Their arthouse films are superior though. Jia Zhangke’s Mountains May Depart has my favorite use of the Pet Shop Boys song “Go West” and Behemoth was a literally hellish documentary of coal mining in Inner Mongolia. Extremely pro watches.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
:piss: is a cultural export of the gbs china thread

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
I don't know about you, but I could really go for another Three Kingdoms or Journey to the West adaptation!

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Vegetable posted:

Their mainstream movies are unwatchable, but the same applies to Hong Kong and Taiwan.

Their arthouse films are superior though. Jia Zhangke’s Mountains May Depart has my favorite use of the Pet Shop Boys song “Go West” and Behemoth was a literally hellish documentary of coal mining in Inner Mongolia. Extremely pro watches.

There was definitely a shift in the early 2000s when way more great films were coming out of the mainland than HK, but I can’t imagine a lot of it — stuff like A Touch of Sin — getting made anymore.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Blistex posted:

Hong Kong cinema was so crazy/funny/awesome.

Chinese Ghost Story is still great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0dpajscuPo

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
There's at least some millions of kids for whom Pleasant Goat and Big Big Wolf will be their Tom and Jerry cultural reference equivalent

It is painfully bland though, even for basically Peppa-Pigesque fare

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Smeef posted:

There was definitely a shift in the early 2000s when way more great films were coming out of the mainland than HK, but I can’t imagine a lot of it — stuff like A Touch of Sin — getting made anymore.

Yeah the early/mid 2000s was not 80s level, but things loosened up a bit until 2008, and then full force boot when Xi came along.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Stink Billyums posted:

I don't know about you, but I could really go for another Three Kingdoms or Journey to the West adaptation!

:f5::discourse:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Stink Billyums posted:

I prefer the one where the baddie is a lady with extra long white hair, and she battles the hero warrior monk over a bunch of craggy rocky islands in a storm for the films big climax.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Stink Billyums posted:

Nah it's time for another WW2 period peice where the KMT are always jussst out of shot, honest.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's an amazing movie and also has a fantastic score by the late James Wong. DAO DAO DAO!!!

The best part was Hong Kong wasn’t even just the big budget movies, it was often small ones featuring a triad played by Shing Fui On. I could probably go on forever about Hong Kong cinema. :)

Edit: has anyone heard anything new about North Korea‘s Covid pandemic?

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 11, 2022

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015
https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1546111050080206850

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Before getting into details, let it be known that the thing we are reporting on is real

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

I get what they’re going for but oof, “Chinese people are not sophisticated in general”

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

thetoughestbean posted:

I get what they’re going for but oof, “Chinese people are not sophisticated in general”

Imagine what they'd be saying if other media posted that. Lol.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

The chinese people should apologise for hurting the feelings of China.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Fromage posted:

It’s amazing when the official government policy is say as often as possible that it's people are stupid.

Also Jesus Christ they absolutely would lose their poo poo if anyone else said that.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It's ok when the CCP say it to justify one-party rule or ugly nationalistic outbursts.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

New thread title.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Smeef posted:

hello,have you introduce country of CHINA?together let's have a look

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Grand Fromage posted:

China state-affiliated media

with Chinese characteristics

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
my head canon is that everyone celebrating abes death is in a roundabout way wishing for xi next

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
so uh, bank runs now

or ponzi schemes crumbling depending on who you ask

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

bad_fmr posted:

New thread title.

Please make this happen!

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

url posted:

Please make this happen!

Booty Pageant posted:

my head canon is that everyone celebrating abes death is in a roundabout way wishing for xi next

There wasn't much 'roundabout' to it, Friday saw heavy weibo mention of the mando-pop song "shame its not you / "可惜不是你“ following Abe Shinzo's death referring to Xi.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Booty Pageant posted:

idk, i wouldn't read into it too much. asians celebrating shinzo abe's death is pretty justified and understandable at face value

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

bad_fmr posted:

New thread title.

Oh god, how many reports would that title generate from the bootlicking brigade?

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
But Abe was retired.

Its like asking for Jiang Zemin to be killed.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Ups_rail posted:

But Abe was retired.

Its like asking for Jiang Zemin to be killed.

when thatcher died people were happy. when kissinger finally dies people will be very happy. how is this any different?

also it's not like he completely retired from political life, he just wasn't PM anymore. he was literally shot while campaigning

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

a7m2 posted:

when thatcher died people were happy. when kissinger finally dies people will be very happy. how is this any different?

also it's not like he completely retired from political life, he just wasn't PM anymore. he was literally shot while campaigning

Wasn't he helping someone else campaign, and not actually doing it as a politician? That seems to be a little bit different than trying to regain a seat actively.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Kchama posted:

Wasn't he helping someone else campaign, and not actually doing it as a politician? That seems to be a little bit different than trying to regain a seat actively.

Yes. Like i said he's still politically active. Anyway even if he was fully retired, people would still have been fully justified in being happy.

It'd be like if Europeans celebrated the death of a retired far-right nationalist German politician who denied the holocaust/Nazi war crimes, tried to re-militarize Germany, and also happened to be the grandson of a high ranking Nazi. Not surprising and completely justified.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 11, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

a7m2 posted:

. when kissinger finally dies people will be very happy. how is this any different?

*if

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I'm sure one day he'll accidentally be exposed to sunlight or get staked through the heart but yes it might take a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kchama posted:

Wasn't he helping someone else campaign, and not actually doing it as a politician?

Well sure except that is literally a thing that is logically impossible?

e: Do you think politician only means someone who is drawing a monthly salary out of a political job? Because if you do, you're alone in that.