Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
What did Nanny and Orphan Maker do? What did Toad do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

thetoughestbean posted:

What did Nanny and Orphan Maker do? What did Toad do?

Orphan Maker killed a poo poo ton of people trying to save Nanny, Nanny went into prison out of solidarity. Toad confessed to a crime he didn't commit.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

thetoughestbean posted:

What did Nanny and Orphan Maker do?

During the final issues of Hellions (were those two were actually main protagonists, please read Hellions, what an amazing book), Orphan Maker went completely bloodlust crazy and murdered every single special operations army dude and scientist around him. Then he moved outside and attacked some innocent bystanders. That last one got him sent to the hell hole. Nanny wouldn't let him go alone, so together they went...

thetoughestbean posted:

What did Toad do?

During the Trial of Magneto (a Leah Williams X-Factor book), Magneto was suspected of having killed his daughter Wanda (who was an enemy of Krakoa). It turned out not have been that, of course, but someone had to take the blame to hide what really happened and Toad accepted the short end of the stick.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Saoshyant posted:

During the Trial of Magneto (a Leah Williams X-Factor book), Magneto was suspected of having killed his daughter Wanda (who was an enemy of Krakoa). It turned out not have been that, of course, but someone had to take the blame to hide what really happened and Toad accepted the short end of the stick.

I feel like after she came back to life he should’ve been let out

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Yeah but...
Paperwork

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Ghostly Tales #99 (1972)

Foolkiller: White Angels #3 (2008)

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 9, 2022

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

One Punch Man #167

Garou has been powered up to unimaginable levels, being able to copy anyone's abilities from just observing, including a portal generating ability used here. The power unleashed by the fight between him and Saitama has knocked them all the way to Io. Also he's killed a whole bunch of people including Saitama's pupil and friend. Saitama's pretty mad about that.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
DC vs Vampires #7

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

TwoPair posted:

DC vs Vampires #7

Firestorm gets no respect, he's got nuclear flames and transmutation powers, in the hands of even a halfway decent writer he should be OP. Instead he's basically a knock-off Johnny Storm with two people in his head.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I think it's his costume, it's pretty golden age. He looks a knockoff action figure that would come in a pack with knock offs of Batman, the Hulk, the dad from the Incredibles and the green Power Ranger.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
In my vague memory of reading Identity crisis didn't a Firestorm get killed so they could have updated the costume then or in one of the last 3 reboots since then? Or does DC think it's that iconic that no one would accept something new?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Batman was the first DC character I loved as a kid but that was thanks to the TV show. Firestorm was the first DC comic I actually got into, so I've always had a soft spot for him. The constant disrespect for my Nucular Bro stings, man.

For reals though, I still think it's one of the more fun concepts DC had, the meathead kid worrying about all his high school poo poo welded to some genius old guy, a nicely blossoming rogues gallery combining Spidey-style mad (nuclear) science and straight up weird poo poo (werehyenas), more melodrama than you can shake a stick at, and a dope chimney head for [reasons]. He's never recovered from all the lame fire elemental poo poo Ostrander went with though.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Martian Manhunter #10 (1999)

Silk #17 (2017)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

MasterBuilder posted:

In my vague memory of reading Identity crisis didn't a Firestorm get killed so they could have updated the costume then or in one of the last 3 reboots since then? Or does DC think it's that iconic that no one would accept something new?

They’re always messing with Firestorm’s costume, and combination of who makes up the Firestorm matrix. Elseworlds usually just go with the classic unless they’re trying to do something way out of left field.

Also, “the Firestorm” used to be shorthand for a point of view character in a super team. The Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider in Jason Aaron’s Avengers is a great example. He even has the flaming head!

Without the editorial interference, Static Shock would have been in Dwayne McDuffie’s JLA as “the Firestorm” of the team.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Darthemed posted:

Martian Manhunter #10

More like Martian "Reaping All The Benefits of Being a" Manhunter.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Wouldn't that cause an insane amount of friction and boil the syrup?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darthemed posted:

Silk #17 (2017)

Is something up with his costume (it's Spider-Man, not an uncommon thing) or is the artist making an interesting choice not to properly draw the webbing?

Lobok fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 8, 2022

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lobok posted:

Is something up with his costume (it's Spider-Man, not an uncommon thing) or is the artist making an interesting choice not to properly draw the webbing?

Looks normal to me:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You don't see how each line connecting the spokes on the movie suit has its own curve? That's what makes it look like a spider's web and not just any concentric rings.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 8, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That sounds hellish to draw but it's been done hundreds of different ways over the years, I assume it's just the style on this one

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mystery Men Comics #22 (1941)

Superboy #107 (1963)

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Lobok posted:

What my attention is drawn to is how his nose is drawn showing the mask

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The eyes are awfully far apart, and the spider emblem's legs are pointing in the wrong directions. Compare to the movie poster.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

looked like spider-man to me

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

For a brief moment I thought it was Spiders-Man, but then I noticed there weren't any spiders crawling all over him.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Sensation Comics #18 (1943)

Foolkiller: White Angels #3 (2008)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Mystery Men Comics #22 (1941)

The Rocketeer at War #3 (2016)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

thetoughestbean posted:

I feel like after she came back to life he should’ve been let out
This double jeopardy aspect of capes has to have been covered at some points, right? "You can't try me for killing $Super again, we did this two years ago!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FFT posted:

This double jeopardy aspect of capes has to have been covered at some points, right? "You can't try me for killing $Super again, we did this two years ago!"

If it's two separate killings double jeopardy doesn't apply. It's like if I beat someone up, and went to jail for it, I wouldn't then be allowed to beat them up again sans consequences once I got out.

That J Lo movie wasn't a documentary.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Okay but what if the person who beat the other up was actually a time travelling you from the future, and it was present day you who served the jail time; would you, in the future, be permitted to go back in time to beat that person up

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Argue posted:

Okay but what if the person who beat the other up was actually a time travelling you from the future, and it was present day you who served the jail time; would you, in the future, be permitted to go back in time to beat that person up

There's a section in.. I want to say Astro City, or maybe Top 10? where a lawyer uses this kind of defence to defend his client and accidentally becomes a mob lawyer for supervillains.

EDIT: Yeah it's Astro City and he just ends up being a mob lawyer, I'd post the panels but they're not funny

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 11, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Argue posted:

Not unless it was the two of you beating up the other guy at the same time and that's what the past you served time for.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Argue posted:

There's a great book called "The Law of Superheroes" that examines how current (at the time of publishing, at least) American law would apply to superheroes. For example, Batman and Superman as state actors. How one would go about executing somebody like Wolverine, or if 'depowering' a supervillian would pass constitutional muster. Would telepathic evidence be admissible? And so on.

You know it's written by lawyers because the first chapter is an overview of how case law is cited, and an attempt to come up with a standard way to cite comic book references. Fantastic, fun read, though.

TheCenturion fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 11, 2022

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

If it's two separate killings double jeopardy doesn't apply. It's like if I beat someone up, and went to jail for it, I wouldn't then be allowed to beat them up again sans consequences once I got out.

That J Lo movie wasn't a documentary.

Ashley Judd you uncultured swine.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

There's a section in.. I want to say Astro City, or maybe Top 10? where a lawyer uses this kind of defence to defend his client and accidentally becomes a mob lawyer for supervillains.

EDIT: Yeah it's Astro City and he just ends up being a mob lawyer, I'd post the panels but they're not funny

he doesn't end up being a mob lawyer: his client gets acquitted and then murdered by vigilante police dressed as the vengeful spirit of a dead cop. the cops keep the death squad going for a while afterwards. but it's ok because one of the cops is his friend!

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

thatbastardken posted:

he doesn't end up being a mob lawyer: his client gets acquitted and then murdered by vigilante police dressed as the vengeful spirit of a dead cop. the cops keep the death squad going for a while afterwards. but it's ok because one of the cops is his friend!

Man, I bemoan this every time Astro City comes up, but is there any word on the horizon of a complete re-release? It's widely critically acclaimed, right? I have the first 6 or 7 trades but I'd love to have the whole run.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

Man, I bemoan this every time Astro City comes up, but is there any word on the horizon of a complete re-release? It's widely critically acclaimed, right? I have the first 6 or 7 trades but I'd love to have the whole run.

There's a couple big complete collections in Paperback on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Astro-City-Me...aps%2C76&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.ca/Astro-City-Me...aps%2C76&sr=8-2

The good news is volume 2 has the Tarnished Angel which is one of the best things I've ever read in any medium.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

Ashley Judd you uncultured swine.

Apologies, I got it confused with Enough, the other movie about how to legally kill your rear end in a top hat husband.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

El Gallinero Gros posted:

There's a couple big complete collections in Paperback on Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Astro-City-Me...aps%2C76&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.ca/Astro-City-Me...aps%2C76&sr=8-2

The good news is volume 2 has the Tarnished Angel which is one of the best things I've ever read in any medium.

The first one:
Collects KURT BUSIEK'S ASTRO CITY, VOL. 1 (#1-6) & VOL. 2 (#1-12, #1/2)

The second one:
Collects ASTRO CITY vol 2 #13-22, ASTRO CITY: LOCAL HEROES #1-5, ASTRO CITY SPECIAL #1, portions of 9-11 - THE WORLD’S FINEST COMIC BOOK WRITERS & ARTISTS TELL STORIES TO REMEMBER #2 and ASTRO CITY: A VISITOR’S GUIDE

I hate how comics get organized--does the above encompass the entire run? Or what trades are equivalent to each volume? It sounds like the first volume is 18 or 19 single issues compiled, which seems like I may already have represented in the 6 or 7 trades I have already. But most likely I'll be missing something and need to get it anyway.