Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
This makes me irrationally annoyed: Sonic the Hedgehog in the movies having his eye(s) partitioned by not-eyes. Ever since I was little, I was always weirdly fascinated by the flap of Sonic's forehead that doesn't meet his nose, which looks fine in a cartoon but when you pay attention to it, you realize Sonic only has one eyeball, but like two irises. When the "redesign" happened or whatever, I thought for sure they were going to correct it but they didn't.

The movies are whatever, I kind of enjoyed them, but gently caress those two eyes are hitting me like the Barenstain Bears thing.

Edit for visual aid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

...I'm fine with two clearly separate eyes, thank you very much.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Mierenneuker posted:

...I'm fine with two clearly separate eyes, thank you very much.

I was regretting referring to that as a "flap" and this illustrates exactly why.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I like that the movie version has white fur across the bridge of his nose as a nod to this.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It was never supposed to be a monoeye, it was supposed to be two beady black eyes in the middle of some lighter coloured fur, like mickey mouse, but then everybody took it and ran with it because it looks cool

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Episode 62: "So don't go whining to me about this destiny stuff" says the child of prophecy.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Mamkute posted:

Naruto Episode 62: "So don't go whining to me about this destiny stuff" says the child of prophecy.
Is the context not "because holy poo poo I'm sick of it"? I have no idea where that episode is in the timeline

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

FFT posted:

Is the context not "because holy poo poo I'm sick of it"? I have no idea where that episode is in the timeline

Yeah, Neji spends the whole arc being a lil bich about being branch family (to be fair he has legit grievances but he's aiming them at the wrong targets) so Naruto's just like "Oh my GOD no one cares, I'm going to beat seven kinds of poo poo out of you to show you how malleable your destiny is, by tearing yours apart with my bare hands!" It's a fun arc in general though because I love Naruto and Hinata basically forming a feedback loop of inspiring each other that keeps going through all of Shippuden.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

It is very weird to end the movie with the main character committing premeditated murder.

There's a fair amount of that sort of plot in films/tv shows made in the US in the early-mid 80s. Something in the water maybe? Peak Reganism?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

FFT posted:

Yeah, but it’s also an upset because Naruto is this prankster gremlin that flunked out of school and Neiji is like a super-prodigy and that ends up being a bit undercut by later revelations about Naruto’s heritage.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

YA authors cannot resist making underdog protagonists also be the most specialest boy who ever lived, especially when that undercuts the whole message

Everybody says Rock Lee should have been the main character, but if he was then they'd have gotten maybe 50 episodes before revealing that actually he has the most powerful ninjutsu in history, it's just so rare that none of his instructors could understand it

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
THat's partially why I love Hinata. She starts off being the shittiest byakugan wielder to the extent that her father practically disowns her in favour of her sister, her cousin is constantly bullying her and everyone looks down on her. Then she learns from Naruto, and takes on his bloody-mindedness, quoting him directly as an inspiration and becomes kind of a badass, inventing her own versions of the family abilities.

I particularly love the moments in the filler arc with the bug hunt where she's captured by the villains and she's just like "Naruto wouldn't give up right now. Neither will I!" even as the situation gets worse and worse and there are moments where it seems hopeless, but then she refocuses with "NO! gently caress it! I'm still breathing, which means I can still do SOMETHING, even cocooned in honey and hurtling immobile over a waterfall!"

Also her being the only person to join Naruto in the fight against Pain, even if only to help Naruto get back on his feet. Even though she couldn't do much, it said a lot that at that moment she did SOMETHING.

It's why she and Naruto work so well as a couple too, they basically complete each other. Naruto gave her confidence, and she acknowledged him FAR before Iruka even if he didn't know it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
One thing I did like is that it became clear by the end of the series that Naruto isn't actually dumb or bad at learning. It's just that he's one of those people that needs to learn by doing or have it explained in a slightly different way. In a traditional classroom he can't pull off the most basic technique, but give him the right tools and he's just mastering and perfecting impossible techniques non-stop.

Invest in education folks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well also everyone else had someone at home who was basically tutoring them on various techniques while Naruto was basically left to fend for himself.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

christmas boots posted:

One thing I did like is that it became clear by the end of the series that Naruto isn't actually dumb or bad at learning. It's just that he's one of those people that needs to learn by doing or have it explained in a slightly different way. In a traditional classroom he can't pull off the most basic technique, but give him the right tools and he's just mastering and perfecting impossible techniques non-stop.

Invest in education folks.

I also liked that even the Good characters screwed up badly. Like Iruka didn't realise how badly his trauma was loving up his teaching and perception until he's literally pulling a knife on a 5 year old child in a graveyard for pulling a (honestly completely deserved ) prank, then when that child calls him out on it and on him having the same eyes that EVERYONE else has, he's like "Oh... poo poo..."

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, Neji spends the whole arc being a lil bich about being branch family (to be fair he has legit grievances but he's aiming them at the wrong targets) so Naruto's just like "Oh my GOD no one cares, I'm going to beat seven kinds of poo poo out of you to show you how malleable your destiny is, by tearing yours apart with my bare hands!" It's a fun arc in general though because I love Naruto and Hinata basically forming a feedback loop of inspiring each other that keeps going through all of Shippuden.

to be fair Neji's destiny involved a fuckin' swastika tattoo so it's understandable that he'd be pretty salty

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

muscles like this! posted:

Well also everyone else had someone at home who was basically tutoring them on various techniques while Naruto was basically left to fend for himself.

Also realistic, frankly. Actually having parental figures involved in your education tends to be a huge boon!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

do they ever explain why he has cat whiskers?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Carthag Tuek posted:

Fox whiskers.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Are they actually whiskers, like sticking out from his face, or just lines on his skin?

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

BioEnchanted posted:

I know, I was just kinda being a dick, I think this fight works as a thematic parallel to the first episode where Neji believes that he is constrained by a destiny that can only be escaped by his death and Misuki starts Naruto's ninja career by hatching a plot to kill him because of a belief that this is like a baby Hitler situation; the Nine Tails is a destiny that can only be escaped by killing Naruto. (of course, it would only delay the problem as the fox would just eventually reappear somewhere else and create an international incident)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Carthag Tuek posted:

Side effect of having the Fox beast sealed in him. There’s another character that has a Japanese raccoon dog spirit sealed in him and he gets raccoon eyes

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

christmas boots posted:

Side effect of having the Fox beast sealed in him. There’s another character that has a Japanese raccoon dog spirit sealed in him and he gets raccoon eyes

and the character with an octopus inside him speaks only in freestyle rap, emulating the funkiest beast of the ocean

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like that when the Fox starts openly supporting Naruto towards the end of Shippuden it uses a somewhat vague type of talking to make it seem like he's just being a dick before he finishes his sentence. "If you really want to help us tailed beasts... (leaves it there for a few shots implying he's going to say something mean like he always does, while naruto struggles to do a thing... then he succeeds by approaching from another angle)... just keep doing what you always have done. Keep charging ahead with that blind resolve and GET poo poo DONE like you always do!".

It's a fun moment

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Rockman Reserve posted:

and the character with an octopus inside him speaks only in freestyle rap, emulating the funkiest beast of the ocean

I like how he's the hotheaded one in the relationship and the octopus demon is the one asking him to chill out and stop embarrassing them with inopportune raps.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

christmas boots posted:

I like how he's the hotheaded one in the relationship and the octopus demon is the one asking him to chill out and stop embarrassing them with inopportune raps.

Just everytime a giant octopus bull comes raging over the horizon yelling "WHEEEEEEE!" it gives me life.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Rockman Reserve posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh6QvSmVFxo

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Episode 64: Shikamaru: *Solves a block puzzle*
Asuma: This is the smartest boy of all time

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
This dumb loving movie The Lost City is dumb enough, but there's this part where Shadows of the Night by Pat Benatar plays and it's like this slow motion runaway thing that I think is supposed to be funny, but the verse that opens the song, the lyrics are:

We're running with the shadows of the night
So baby, take my hand, you'll be alright
Surrender all your dreams to me tonight
They'll come true in the end

But I guess they didn't anticipate the timing so the third line is just awkwardly hacked out of the movie, and it goes straight from ...you'll be alright... to ...they'll come true in the end. Which is so loving lazy, because for one, the editing isn't great, and two, if you know how a loving song or poem is usually constructed you are expecting there to be a third line, and three, the song is still pretty well known and it's not like you can count on nobody noticing, and four, the lyrics don't loving make sense after the edit. They'll come true? What will? Your hand? The shadows? What a weird loving editing decision that just stands out so weirdly in a movie that's already so bad.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

credburn posted:

This dumb loving movie The Lost City is dumb enough

I was about to have very harsh words for you, then I realised you weren't actually talking about City of Lost Children.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Arkane is really good, but what drags it down is they chose Imagine Dragons to make the title song. The music in the show is otherwise really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jfI-z__GY0 but the showrunners are so invested with Imagine Dragons that they even have a cameo.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

credburn posted:

What a weird loving editing decision that just stands out so weirdly in a movie that's already so bad.

And the whole thing was for a two second visual gag of them pushing Sandra Bullock along in a grocery cart which wasn't even funny. What a lovely movie. They even made constant references to Romancing the Stone, which amounts of openly acknowledging that you ripped off the plot of a much better movie.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Alhazred posted:

Arkane is really good, but what drags it down is they chose Imagine Dragons to make the title song. The music in the show is otherwise really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jfI-z__GY0 but the showrunners are so invested with Imagine Dragons that they even have a cameo.

They were probably a big get for their eSports championship finale theme in 2014. I think the members even enjoyed playing the game*, so it was a mutual thing. I'm not surprised they ended up doing something again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmI_Ndrxy14

*No one actually enjoys playing LoL tho, must have been marketing speak!

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Rockman Reserve posted:

Eh, your av gonna need to give my beer back.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Thor Love and Thunder and Avengers Endgame spoilers

They invent a thing in the center of the universe that they get to with the axe that was forged in Endgame that has the power to grant one wish in Love and Thunder to the first person to reach it which no one previously has. They don't even try and explain in Love and Thunder why they didn't just do that instead of the timeheist.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

LionYeti posted:

Thor Love and Thunder and Avengers Endgame spoilers

They invent a thing in the center of the universe that they get to with the axe that was forged in Endgame that has the power to grant one wish in Love and Thunder to the first person to reach it which no one previously has. They don't even try and explain in Love and Thunder why they didn't just do that instead of the timeheist.

Because they didn't know about it. They knew that the character existed but midway through the movie you have a character excitedly figure out that the bifrost is the key to getting in there, which somehow Gorr had figured out but not anyone else yet. Also during the Endgame sequence Thor was depressed and homebound, so even if the idea was "Well he can go figure it out" he just wouldn't have because he was nurturing a beer gut and the blues.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Having songs with lyrics in your movie will almost always be cringy but Umbrella Academy took it to a new level by playing a song called Run Boy Run while you're watching a boy run.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Wait - was it Woodkid's Run Boy Run? poo poo, didn't even notice that and I love that song.

When did it play?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Having songs with lyrics in your movie will almost always be cringy

I think this is a you thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I appreciate when the lyrics are very on the nose in a slightly silly way. I'm thinking of Fire in Hot Fuzz or Red Right Hand in Hellboy.