Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
This is not necessarily how he did it but get some Vallejo duraluminium, some ink and mix it together for coloured metallic. Works best if you have a neutral silvery metal colour. Shameless stolen from Marco F.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I used:
1) army painter air plate mail metal base
2) army painter air shining silver zenithal (top 50%)
3) tamiya clear blue 80%/tamiya clear green 20% (I have a big premixed pot of this) thinned to airbrush consistency
4) tamiya clear blue from below, thinned to airbrush consistency
5) tamiya clear green from above, thinned to airbrush consistency
6) mixture of tamiya clear blue and shining silver (only on the very highest points)
7) glaze with a brush with tamiya clear blue thinned with glaze medium to the proper consistency. This blends the colors quite a bit.
8) details picked out with a brush

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Hoboskins posted:

This is not necessarily how he did it but get some Vallejo duraluminium, some ink and mix it together for coloured metallic. Works best if you have a neutral silvery metal colour. Shameless stolen from Marco F.

I tried this and it didn't work for poo poo. So on my CSM I used contrast over a grisaille metal base and was very happy with it :)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I did the Contrast over Metallic drybrush as suggested earlier in the thread. My biggest weakness is that I'm not good at getting smooth coverage with those paints yet.

And I may have spoiled the effect a bit with edge highlights. But that's for next time I do it.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist

Spanish Manlove posted:

I tried this and it didn't work for poo poo. So on my CSM I used contrast over a grisaille metal base and was very happy with it :)

Might have been because of the difference in the underpainting or ink? I also used an airbrush to apply it as well. Good you have a different solution I have no reason not to use contrast but I don't need more unused paints in my collection.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

Oooh yeah, love that teal/green. What paint did you use over metallic for that?

I dunno if this is wat they did, but I'm far too lazy to try mixing paints so for odd-colored metallics, I've bought some from Turbo Dork

That green looks kinda like the gem dragonborn I painted using Turbo Dork's Absinthe over white primer.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Cooked Auto posted:

I did the Contrast over Metallic drybrush as suggested earlier in the thread. My biggest weakness is that I'm not good at getting smooth coverage with those paints yet.

And I may have spoiled the effect a bit with edge highlights. But that's for next time I do it.

Well, I think it came out looking great. Good job!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Any recommendations on how to create smoke?

I lost a part of my assault termite drills,, so I did a quick thermocast with some greenstuff

Not the best replacement bit, but it's usable. I'm leaning into making it look like it got hit with a plasma shot th explain the droopiness. I'm thinking liquitex modeling paste for flames, but I'm not sure how to make good looking smoke.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Starting up with the hobby again, not quite to the painting stage yet (my one model for testing spray primer got fuzzed bad, so waiting until I have time to brush prime again). Not strictly a painting question, but painting adjacent:

I normally use Loctite Ultra Gel Control glue for my models. It works well enough, but I have nerve issues in my hands and the amount of force needed to get the last ~1/2 - 2/3 of the glue out of the bottle and onto a model, with its pinch design, is enough to leave lingering pain up my arm for a while after working (and sharp pain while working). Is there an alternative that's comparable in adhesive quality while having a better applicator method? I regularly use resin bits, so plastic glue is not a workable substitute, as nice as brush applicators may be.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I buy super glue with a brush applicator at my local dollar store all the time amd gorilla glue sells super glue with a brush applicator as well

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Starting up with the hobby again, not quite to the painting stage yet (my one model for testing spray primer got fuzzed bad, so waiting until I have time to brush prime again). Not strictly a painting question, but painting adjacent:

I normally use Loctite Ultra Gel Control glue for my models. It works well enough, but I have nerve issues in my hands and the amount of force needed to get the last ~1/2 - 2/3 of the glue out of the bottle and onto a model, with its pinch design, is enough to leave lingering pain up my arm for a while after working (and sharp pain while working). Is there an alternative that's comparable in adhesive quality while having a better applicator method? I regularly use resin bits, so plastic glue is not a workable substitute, as nice as brush applicators may be.

I use the exact same glue, the only way I've found around the issue is to just cut away the bottle So I can fit my finger up between the external shell and the glue bottle and just push the remaining glue out.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SkyeAuroline posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Liquid-Professional-20-Gram-1365882/

I use this and I love it

doesn't take much effort to squeeze and the bottle is huge and has lasted much longer than those garbage metal tubes

I only wish it was gel in this bottle

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SkyeAuroline posted:

The best way I have found to apply super glue is to get a medium CA super glue that is in a whatever type of container works easiest for you. The secret is don't apply the glue from the glue pot. Squirt a drop of glue out onto a piece of plastic, like a blister box cover, and then apply the super glue with another tool, as needed. Using a dress maker pin or even a paperclip or toothpick in a pin vise works really well. When I do this the glue in the tray lasts 10 to 15 minutes or so, so you have plenty of time to use it. Watch the YouTube channel "World of Wayne" to see this in action.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cooked Auto posted:

This dude looks great, and the edge highlights look totally fine

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

i keep forgetting the contrast over metallics and I wish I had done that for my purple chaos marine

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

This dude looks great, and the edge highlights look totally fine

Meant more that they sorta hide what the drybrushing does to the edges in this case. But as I said, it's for next time I paint something like that.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

i keep forgetting the contrast over metallics and I wish I had done that for my purple chaos marine

Sounds like you need to get more Chaos Space Marines.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The Demilich posted:

Any recommendations on how to create smoke?

I lost a part of my assault termite drills,, so I did a quick thermocast with some greenstuff

Not the best replacement bit, but it's usable. I'm leaning into making it look like it got hit with a plasma shot th explain the droopiness. I'm thinking liquitex modeling paste for flames, but I'm not sure how to make good looking smoke.

FW will probably send you the missing piece of you say it wasn't in the box.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Cool dude to hang out after dark with
My phone seems stuck on eye searing vibrancy, it's not that saturated irl.

I accidentally got some red on the still grey/ white ground that looked like a bloodstain, and went :stwoon: gonna do that on purpose later.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Red, gold, and black is such a good combo

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Thanks for the glue tips, folks. Once I've made sure I'm actually out of glue in this tube I'll pick up something new.

Also spray primed again this morning, and while not completely fuzz free, it went much better this time, so at least I don't have to fear dealing with the Spartan in the future too much.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

[url]https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Liquid-Professional-20-Gram-1365882/[/url

This link is dead, but I picked up enough from the url to know what to search.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Professor Shark posted:

Red, gold, and black is such a good combo

:hfive: he was really fun to paint. I can't believe how fast a zenithal drybrush and contrast paints job comes together. The majority was done in a casual hour, then another half hour dicking around glazing the red higher and pushing blue into shadows to mixed effect, plus rimming the base. After dying on orruk hill and being very unhappy with the result, this is so chill and fun.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Eediot Jedi posted:

:hfive: he was really fun to paint. I can't believe how fast a zenithal drybrush and contrast paints job comes together. The majority was done in a casual hour, then another half hour dicking around glazing the red higher and pushing blue into shadows to mixed effect, plus rimming the base. After dying on orruk hill and being very unhappy with the result, this is so chill and fun.
Right? Like the gold shoulder things read as some good NMM but they probably took less than 5 minutes total including the drybrush undercoat. Kickass job dude.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Xpost from the 30k thread because I'm on an Alpha Legion ROLL right now

Count Thrashula posted:

Hell yeah Alpha Legion, Hydra DOMINATUS

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

SkyeAuroline posted:

While you'll definitely need superglue for resin or metal minis, if you're only dealing with plastics the real trick is to stop using superglue altogether. Plastic cement, if it's an option for you, will both be easier on your nerve endings thanks to the packaging and give you easier, quicker bonds.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm a weirdo who uses both plastic cement and superglue on their models. Both have their strengths and weaknesses so I use them where they are best applicable. Plastic cement for torsos and basically anything you can touch a soccer ball without getting a penalty. Also on parts with obvious seams to fill the gaps in. Superglue on fiddly parts as it sticks insanely fast in this humid swamp hell that I live in. Bonus with super glue is that you can snap the part off after a bit so it's useful for arms where GW will make your loadout suck in the next edition so it's planning ahead just in case.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Super glue can be useful for gluing the mini to the base and then popping the mini off after priming to do base work if needed.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Eediot Jedi posted:

Wait, is that not actual metallic gold paint? I honestly can't tell. It looks great either way. I'm preparing to drybrush most of an army this evening in preparation of contrast application so it's super encouraging to see it look so great.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Super glue can be useful for gluing the mini to the base and then popping the mini off after priming to do base work if needed.

This is the truth.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Well, the grand return to painting was a mistake. Palette made exactly the same way as I always made it for years, with no visible problems whatsoever, hosed up the consistency of my paint badly enough that the same paint from the same spot on the palette was alternating between "full coverage" and "the thinnest wash I can think of" in a matter of one or two strokes. Can't keep my hands steady enough for the fine detail any more, and even if I could I hosed up the (brand new) brush I was using within 30 minutes. Couple it with lovely color choices making it look even worse... yeah, I'm already regretting coming back to the hobby, this is going to purely be a source of stress for me it looks like.

Still appreciate the advice, both recently & the last time I tried starting again (with almost the exact same results). Have to figure it out somehow, I guess, I'm not fielding unpainted miniatures and even if I was I'm not making my future life harder by covering up all the detail in assembly.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

SkyeAuroline posted:

Well, the grand return to painting was a mistake. Palette made exactly the same way as I always made it for years, with no visible problems whatsoever, hosed up the consistency of my paint badly enough that the same paint from the same spot on the palette was alternating between "full coverage" and "the thinnest wash I can think of" in a matter of one or two strokes. Can't keep my hands steady enough for the fine detail any more, and even if I could I hosed up the (brand new) brush I was using within 30 minutes. Couple it with lovely color choices making it look even worse... yeah, I'm already regretting coming back to the hobby, this is going to purely be a source of stress for me it looks like.

Still appreciate the advice, both recently & the last time I tried starting again (with almost the exact same results). Have to figure it out somehow, I guess, I'm not fielding unpainted miniatures and even if I was I'm not making my future life harder by covering up all the detail in assembly.

Priming a mini black and then hitting it with a zenithal white might be "good enough" for getting minis on the field with at least some paint on them.

There is also a good chance your brush can be saved, but I suppose it would depend on how it was messed up.

Maybe try sticking with a dry palette for a bit? I also have issues with my paint consistency with my professionally manufactured wet palette, but I think that is due to me drowning everything in water and paint thinner.

Don't give up, Skeleton!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Wrr posted:

Priming a mini black and then hitting it with a zenithal white might be "good enough" for getting minis on the field with at least some paint on them.

There is also a good chance your brush can be saved, but I suppose it would depend on how it was messed up.

Maybe try sticking with a dry palette for a bit? I also have issues with my paint consistency with my professionally manufactured wet palette, but I think that is due to me drowning everything in water and paint thinner.

Don't give up, Skeleton!

I'm sure it can be "saved", but the tip curved well past 90 degrees from nothing but brushing gently with the side of the brush, and split to two points.

Dry palette is a possibility that's currently constrained by "my budget ran out fifty dollars ago and every cent spent on this is taking away from needs instead". Trying to make what I already own work. Given that it worked for years for painting an entire army plus misc poo poo from scratch, you'd think it would continue to. Evidently you'd be wrong.

As far as "good enough", no, my personal line is "fully painted and sealed, no sooner". Call it irrational or whatever, it makes sure I either finish my poo poo or have a very stressful incentive to finish it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Meant more that they sorta hide what the drybrushing does to the edges in this case. But as I said, it's for next time I paint something like that.

Sounds like you need to get more Chaos Space Marines.

I mean, I do have more chaos space marines, but I am wanting to follow along with the guide for those which means it's in the 'eavy metal style and it's gonna take fiveever

I don't particularly want to start a thirdfourth army (fourthfifth technically)

but hey i'm getting some skittari in this next round of issues in the magazine...

side question: How much zenethal should one do? I think for doing that trick, that's something I don't quite understand yet. If I come at it from one direction then the whole back of the mini is obviously dark

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 12, 2022

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Maybe you could field an army that only needs to be dipped or has very few fine details. I am thinking of the Age of Sigmar ghost armies that look like they would just be successive layers of washes or contrast paints. I mean, you would be locked into one or two particular armies or styles, but it is something that may be do-able. For 40k you could do Necrons, spray them with the Bronze spray and then just put a few interesting colors of contrast paint over some general areas and that would work out pretty well. Tyranids may be something you could get away without doing a lot of details. Comedy option; do a "forgotten legion" of space marines and then just paint them up as ghosts like the AoS ghosts. You could say they are a holographic army.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Maybe you could field an army that only needs to be dipped or has very few fine details. I am thinking of the Age of Sigmar ghost armies that look like they would just be successive layers of washes or contrast paints. I mean, you would be locked into one or two particular armies or styles, but it is something that may be do-able. For 40k you could do Necrons, spray them with the Bronze spray and then just put a few interesting colors of contrast paint over some general areas and that would work out pretty well. Tyranids may be something you could get away without doing a lot of details. Comedy option; do a "forgotten legion" of space marines and then just paint them up as ghosts like the AoS ghosts. You could say they are a holographic army.

I am entirely too :spergin: to be satisfied with a 3 color army

This is what the magazine has me do so far, minus the issue set before last. Necrons are my main army but they take so drat long

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Aranan posted:

Wait, is that not actual metallic gold paint? I honestly can't tell. It looks great either way. I'm preparing to drybrush most of an army this evening in preparation of contrast application so it's super encouraging to see it look so great.

Lol nope. As I warned in my post, the phone is increasing the saturation a lot. It's not that vibrant but it is still yellow. It's black undercoat, grey seer drybrush then Vallejo cold white drybrush. Iyanden yellow in two coats, trying to force pooling in some places, trying to remove a lot of the 2nd coat especially with a clean wet brush in others like the curve of the horns.

I'd do a few test figures before your whole army. I feel like from painting two guys to completion I have a better idea of when to go heavy and when to go light. After vampires, I have a daughters of khaine band to do, I want to try grey seer on the underside then a warmer top, maybe wraithbone, then a cold/ warm bright white. Might look atrocious, might work.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If you have a pure white you should do a light, top down drybrush to finish it off. Noticed that helps a lot.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

babbys first real paint. i did one guy up a bunch and got the armor on all of them painted im trying to finalize my color scheme

gonna gently caress around with edge highlighting tomorrow and other poo poo. i think a white or grey secondary tone would look much better than a black

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

finished up some more physical loot/data tokens from Stargrave

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

in my headcannon this is full of beans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

in my headcannon this is full of beans