Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Devor posted:

That one is apparently at a tunnel, which, along with long bridges, is probably the one reasonable use case for having reversible lanes. When the eastbound lanes on the Bay Bridge are closed for an accident/construction work, you need a way to make the diversion not take an hour and a half.

I can be convinced if it's a heavily signalized place like a tunnel. But basically what I want is a full scale HALO ODST Superintendent. Usually what we get is a few static signs with scheduling and a bunch of honking / fender benders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

nm posted:

Most of our freeways are really old. All the lessons we learned get passed off to states that didn't build as quickly.
We do post exit numbers, but only as the signs get replaced. No one in California uses them, you just know what exit you have.
Edit: 242 is clearly indicated off of wb 4 though both on my own knowledge and Google maps though.

https://goo.gl/maps/wKzv69uaMur

In four years I've seen zero improvement on sign labeling

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I just mocked this up for the roundabout thread in GBS, based on one I came across in Poland I think:

It's kind of like a turbo roundabout but with one entry lane? So if you want to do a u-turn, you have to chagne your lane three times. Really bizarre, I don't think I've come across one like this since. Does this type have a name? Is there any benefit over a normal one-lane roundabout?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

mobby_6kl posted:

I just mocked this up for the roundabout thread in GBS, based on one I came across in Poland I think:

It's kind of like a turbo roundabout but with one entry lane? So if you want to do a u-turn, you have to chagne your lane three times. Really bizarre, I don't think I've come across one like this since. Does this type have a name? Is there any benefit over a normal one-lane roundabout?

$5 someone just implemented a turbo roundabout wrong

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Devor posted:

$5 someone just implemented a turbo roundabout wrong

Lol yeah I suppose that's a possibility :)

I don't think it's the same one but I found something similar, but closer to a turbo.

So right away you have three lanes to get into: immediate exit, then the second exit, and the third exit (where the van is going). A minor benefit would be, I guess, more space for traffic to wait if an exit is blocked at the cost of much more space? Never seen one like this elsewhere either.

Also cool road marking there.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Thought of you, thread:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Or, cheaper, do what the Germans did and start a temporary heavy subsidy on local and regional transportation. For 9€ you can ride all you want for a day, including regional rail.

Trains that used to run half empty in the summer are now packed. Of course commuters hate it, but I’m convinced it’s keeping people off the Autobahn and airplanes.

While Sweden’s government are proposing to hand out a one-time payment to all auto owners, “to compensate for the increased expense of gas”.

For one thing, Germany’s subsidy is more equitable - not nearly everyone can afford a car but everyone can re-plan their holiday if it’s economically advantageous.

For another, it’s effective. If the plan is to combat the global cost increase, the best way is to actually reduce demand on petroleum. While Sweden’s approach is counterproductive in that it locks consumers into driving an auto.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jul 11, 2022

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Unlurking to clarify that it's 9€ for a whole month, which is a frankly incredible value if you're doing more than two trips with any qualifying local mass transit, nevermind the regional trains. So far it's a one-time program that only covered this year's June, July and August, but there is serious discussion about what a similar ticket could be priced at in the long term. The sexy phrase is the 365€-Ticket, i.e. 1€ per day, which is roughly where the cheaper monthly fares for local transit currently sit.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Or, cheaper, do what the Germans did and start a temporary heavy subsidy on local and regional transportation. For 9€ you can ride all you want for a day, including regional rail.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Trains that used to run half empty in the summer are now packed. Of course commuters hate it, but I’m convinced it’s keeping people off the Autobahn and airplanes.

While Sweden’s government are proposing to hand out a one-time payment to all auto owners, “to compensate for the increased expense of gas”.

For one thing, Germany’s subsidy is more equitable - not nearly everyone can afford a car but everyone can re-plan their holiday if it’s economically advantageous.

For another, it’s effective. If the plan is to combat the global cost increase, the best way is to actually reduce demand on petroleum. While Sweden’s approach is counterproductive in that it locks consumers into driving an auto.
Yeah I looked into buying those but it's not that useful for a tourist since it's local and some regional transport only as you mention. Not to mention that one night in a hotel would cost more than a tank of gas even at current prices.

I like the idea though and would like to see some analysis of the results, how much of that ridership is new induced demand.

I haven't heard of Sweden's "solution" before but that's pretty :lmao:. We got a slight reduction in fuel taxes which is below the variation you see from one pump to another so does nothing other than reduce tax revenue.

German cities are already pretty high density and walkable, at some point you still need to go farther than you can reasonably walk though.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

mobby_6kl posted:

German cities are already pretty high density and walkable, at some point you still need to go farther than you can reasonably walk though.

Ja, ich weiß, that's why they have pretty good public transportation to begin with.

My issue with the "make public transportation super cheap/free" crowd is, if your public transportation system can't take you from where you are to where you need to be in a reasonable time with reasonable frequency, making it super cheap or free isn't going to make anyone ditch the car.

I doubt 9€/mo public transportation would make a noticeable dent in car traffic in Sweden, to say nothing of places like the US.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah I looked into buying those but it's not that useful for a tourist since it's local and some regional transport only as you mention. Not to mention that one night in a hotel would cost more than a tank of gas even at current prices.

I like the idea though and would like to see some analysis of the results, how much of that ridership is new induced demand.

I haven't heard of Sweden's "solution" before but that's pretty :lmao:. We got a slight reduction in fuel taxes which is below the variation you see from one pump to another so does nothing other than reduce tax revenue.

It's super useful as a tourist because it's the cost of 2 1 day passes on local transport. Additionally, if you are creative you can link re trains together and get pretty far.
It wouldn't work in the US because we don't have much transit and if it worked our very small systems would be completely overwhelmed.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Transit in the US exists only coincidentally, when it can generate grift for the city implementing it. A month pass for just the city of Portland is like $100 at this point; it's like they intentionally want to be a worse price than insuring and fueling any decently efficient car.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I took the Civil Transportation PE exam last week, so hopefully they'll be another official engineer in the thread shortly. Unfortunately, I'm in the southeast US, so the most I can do is design some multiuse paths along roads in richer communities and some half-hearted attempts at bike lanes in my projects, but I can assure you we try.

I'm also doing a Europe trip later this week, and I'm pretty pumped to spend a week and a half not driving anywhere.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

pkells posted:

I took the Civil Transportation PE exam last week, so hopefully they'll be another official engineer in the thread shortly. Unfortunately, I'm in the southeast US, so the most I can do is design some multiuse paths along roads in richer communities and some half-hearted attempts at bike lanes in my projects, but I can assure you we try.

I'm also doing a Europe trip later this week, and I'm pretty pumped to spend a week and a half not driving anywhere.

Hey congratulations!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Javid posted:

Transit in the US exists only coincidentally, when it can generate grift for the city implementing it. A month pass for just the city of Portland is like $100 at this point; it's like they intentionally want to be a worse price than insuring and fueling any decently efficient car.

That’s a similar price to many cities in Europe. Ofc the cost of operating a car there is five times higher…

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

That’s a similar price to many cities in Europe. Ofc the cost of operating a car there is five times higher…

Yes, in Amsterdam €93.50 to cover most of the city for a month, or €139.10 to cover all of the city and some surrounding areas.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

pkells posted:

Best of luck, friend. Studying and taking the PE was a real loving hard time for me so getting the “you passed” e-mails was one of the happiest days on my life. I was on the road and I straight up pulled to the shoulder to stop and yell for a bit.

Now you get to join the multi use / bike lane gang. Don’t forget road diets!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

To be fair, in many cities in Europe you can get to every little corner of the city at any time of day and night, never waiting more than 30 minutes, while a city in the US is lucky if they got two buses per day.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Ja, ich weiß, that's why they have pretty good public transportation to begin with.

My issue with the "make public transportation super cheap/free" crowd is, if your public transportation system can't take you from where you are to where you need to be in a reasonable time with reasonable frequency, making it super cheap or free isn't going to make anyone ditch the car.

I doubt 9€/mo public transportation would make a noticeable dent in car traffic in Sweden, to say nothing of places like the US.

Yeah exactly. :thejoke: is still that they're in a one-storey office building in a giant parking lot, and anywhere that builds like that has transit that ranges from bad to completely useless.

Javid posted:

What car can you fuel, maintain, insure, and cover depreciation/loan payments on for less than $100 a month? (Or even $200 or $300 a month?)

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The local cycling advocacy org that I'm involved with recently had a presentation on the new NACTO guidelines, and they are all about road diets.

NACTO posted:

Design streets using target speed, the speed you intend for drivers to go, rather than operating speed. The 85th percentile of observed target speeds should fall between 10–30 mph on most urban streets.

The maximum target speed for urban arterial streets is 35 mph.

The maximum target speed for urban collector or local streets is 30 mph.

Use design criteria that are at or below the target speed of a given street. The use of higher speeds should be reserved for limited access freeways and highways and is inappropriate on urban streets, including urban arterials.

:getin:

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Best of luck, friend. Studying and taking the PE was a real loving hard time for me so getting the “you passed” e-mails was one of the happiest days on my life. I was on the road and I straight up pulled to the shoulder to stop and yell for a bit.

I’m currently riding a train from Paris to Brussels with my wife, sipping a beer, and celebrating that green pass icon on the NCEES dashboard, so life is good.

As excited as I was, I think my wife was even more so about passing the test.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Lead out in cuffs posted:

What car can you fuel, maintain, insure, and cover depreciation/loan payments on for less than $100 a month? (Or even $200 or $300 a month?)

Older ones that are paid off. (Aka the cars your target market for transit can generally afford)

Each of my two vehicles is in the $2x/mo range to insure, and my fuel costs don't add up to $80 a month. Occasional repairs spike above that, but with staggeringly less frequency than the bus company deciding to suspend a line for six months, or remove a stop with no warning, because gently caress you. Why would i deal with that?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Javid posted:

Older ones that are paid off. (Aka the cars your target market for transit can generally afford)

Each of my two vehicles is in the $2x/mo range to insure, and my fuel costs don't add up to $80 a month. Occasional repairs spike above that, but with staggeringly less frequency than the bus company deciding to suspend a line for six months, or remove a stop with no warning, because gently caress you. Why would i deal with that?

My Model 3 plugs into the wall of my garage. It's fully paid off. I'm 60 years old with a clean driving record for the last 44 years, so my insurance is cheap. I don't pay more than $400 a month all told.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Another thing to consider is that it's only "transit" versus "full cost of car ownership" if you're in a position to completely replace a car with transit use. There's lots of Americans out there who can't really get away with going completely carless, and if you're one of them then the cost of transit is only competing against the cost of the extra mileage from your commute.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

My Model 3 plugs into the wall of my garage. It's fully paid off. I'm 60 years old with a clean driving record for the last 44 years, so my insurance is cheap. I don't pay more than $400 a month all told.

This is my ideal scenario. My plan is to drive my EV til the wheels fall off so it’s going to be nice once its paid off and I’m just paying maintance + electricity

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Khizan posted:

Another thing to consider is that it's only "transit" versus "full cost of car ownership" if you're in a position to completely replace a car with transit use. There's lots of Americans out there who can't really get away with going completely carless, and if you're one of them then the cost of transit is only competing against the cost of the extra mileage from your commute.

It's not even necessarily straight cost/benefit. For example, I have a medium sized dog, who is totally chill, but completely impractical to cart around in a carrier of any kind. I can't take him on the bus without a carrier here. We kinda have to go to the vet every so often, and emergencies happen, so I can't bank on borrowing a car or getting a ride to cover vet visits. Before considering any other factor, I already know I can't rely on the bus for one of the most important trips I repeatedly make. It costing more than the car on average just moves it from a decision to a literal joke.

Or just trying to buy more than a couple bags of groceries. I can spend 4 hours taking two buses there, shopping, waiting, and taking two buses back with all my cold food thawing out, or I can spend 90 minutes once a month to fill my back seat and be done with it.

Or - my favorite - there's randomly 1 more person with a bike on your bus to work than usual, and now you can't get on with yours, get hosed.

If you expect people to use transit for everything you need to account for everything that people routinely travel to do, regardless of how convenient it is to have on a bus.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Javid posted:

It's not even necessarily straight cost/benefit. For example, I have a medium sized dog, who is totally chill, but completely impractical to cart around in a carrier of any kind. I can't take him on the bus without a carrier here. We kinda have to go to the vet every so often, and emergencies happen, so I can't bank on borrowing a car or getting a ride to cover vet visits. Before considering any other factor, I already know I can't rely on the bus for one of the most important trips I repeatedly make. It costing more than the car on average just moves it from a decision to a literal joke.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Javid posted:

Or just trying to buy more than a couple bags of groceries. I can spend 4 hours taking two buses there, shopping, waiting, and taking two buses back with all my cold food thawing out, or I can spend 90 minutes once a month to fill my back seat and be done with it.

This isn't a traffic engineering / transit problem, this is a city engineering / zoning problem. Walkable neighbourhoods with stores in them would solve this with no further transport infrastructure necessary.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Javid posted:

If you expect people to use transit for everything you need to account for everything that people routinely travel to do, regardless of how convenient it is to have on a bus.

I don’t know who you’re replying to here but I get a feeling you’re arguing with a straw man. I started with a post about the German 9€ tickets so I’ll respond anyway.

The point is not to reduce car ownership. The point is to reduce number of miles driven, and thus the petrol consumed.

Nobody is telling you (or, rather, the German public) to take a bus to your vet visits. The initiative is temporary, over summer, and aims to get people to take public transit for their holiday travel.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 17, 2022

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I have 5 vets less than 2km away from me (that Google Maps shows, maybe there are more) that I could walk to. Two of them are directly reachable by tram too. If you have to use a car to get to a vet you live in a badly designed city/town, or in the countryside in which case you need a car anyway.

Javid posted:

Or you just stop by a store on the way of your bike/tram commute each day and get what you need for that day! Or indeed it's a zoning problem. In the Netherlands, 8 out of 10 people in the whole country (including countryside) have a supermarket at less than 1 km distance, and of course infrastructure for walking/cycling to it. In Amsterdam I doubt you are ever more than 300 metres from one.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jul 17, 2022

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lead out in cuffs posted:

$600 to buy
$50 to fill up even at current prices
$20 liability insurance
Some blood and sweat to maintain :v:

I WFH and could walk to the stores but usually just stop by whenever I need to drive somewhere. I think if you actually had to commute across the city daily, you'd burn way more fuel than that though. Completely car-free is possible, and people do it, but IMO it's a significant sacrifice. Yes you can get by train or bus almost everywhere but jeez it's a huge pain in the rear end if it's not another major city or if you need to carry lot's of stuff.

This is barely traffic engineering related though. I do hope that we can reduce the number of car trips people must make so that when you really need to, it's not stuck in traffic and the road network can be kept reasonably sized.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This was posted about a week ago, and it's a brief look at how a well designed and integrated public transit system should work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muPcHs-E4qc

Now, you can criticize the Swiss for a lot of things, but they've really nailed public transit. And I say that as someone living in Copenhagen, generally regarded as having world-class public transit. The Swiss system totally blows it away and covers the whole country, mountains and all.

The fact that Danish public transit is not up to that standard is a complete embarrassment.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How effective is painting the speed limit on the road going to be in actually slowing people down?

My town's out in front of my house painting "25 MPH" on the road. They widened the road a few years ago and now people are speeding down it because you can skip 4 traffic lights if you do it.

I'm thinking this will maybe work for a week at best?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There’s no amount of signage and paint that’ll counter a road being widened in terms of slowing traffic down. Ok that’s not entirely true. Without knowing the road profile, you could maybe slow things down by making the lanes thinner and cluttering the ROW in such a way that people no longer feel they can speed through.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There’s no amount of signage and paint that’ll counter a road being widened in terms of slowing traffic down. Ok that’s not entirely true. Without knowing the road profile, you could maybe slow things down by making the lanes thinner and cluttering the ROW in such a way that people no longer feel they can speed through.

Haha, what lanes? They built it wide enough for 3 cars to be next to each other, but didn't actually put a divider down the middle.

Street parking is allowed on one side, but almost no one parks there because the town also requires you have a driveway and garage.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Their masterpiece is now complete

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
As far as I know street parking actually does work as traffic calming, but you obviously need people to actually use the street parking.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

devicenull posted:

Their masterpiece is now complete

"Boss we have some of that water-based paint left over, it's going to go bad over the winter. Do you have anything that needs touching up?"

No, but I have an idea...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bro what is going on with what curb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Bro what is going on with what curb.

They spent a poo poo ton of money putting in belgian block curbs everywhere... they claimed so it's easier to repair later???