Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Helping people goes against Reagan's America so still checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Cheery story that, he finds out a division of his company is experimenting on homeless people because he's been so hands off focused on his I AM THE NIGHT shtick. Those responsible set him up as a patsy and he's taken out of commission in an assassination attempt, so he has to use the tech on a former employee to unravel it all. Ends up getting them and the bad guy killed, then Gordon - in full 'I don't know but I do know really' mode - chews him out for it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Sentinel Red posted:

Cheery story that, he finds out a division of his company is experimenting on homeless people because he's been so hands off focused on his I AM THE NIGHT shtick. Those responsible set him up as a patsy and he's taken out of commission in an assassination attempt, so he has to use the tech on a former employee to unravel it all. Ends up getting them and the bad guy killed, then Gordon - in full 'I don't know but I do know really' mode - chews him out for it.

There is a moment is the story after Bruce is nearly killed and Bruce is in the hospital now paralyzed after surgery that Gordon shuts off the batsignal and says Batman isn't coming. It is a pretty definitive moment showing that Gordon now knows in all certainity Bruce is Batman.

The story ends with a paralyzed Bruce wayne having just been told by Gordon that Batman needs to stay gone contemplating what he will do with his life. I don't think the story is in continunity.

Both batman books are weird at this point in history. Gordon knows Bruce is Batman is all but says so, Barbara has been paralyzed by the joker, and Gordon knows something bad happened to robin/Jason. Gordon constantly asks Batman "where is robin?" and Bruce ignores him or just ghosts.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 11, 2022

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I think it is in continuity though as it's Ducard's first appearance and goes into how he trained Bruce as a detective before their falling out.

But yeah, Bruce is crippled, recovers only to have it happen all over again a year or two later in Knightfall. Talk about careless, tsk.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Siegkrow posted:

They really think a billionaire is a friggin communist spy?
No wait, it was the 70s-80s and Wayne Enterprises tried to help the poor, of course they'd accuse him of communism.

Imagine what they'd do now with Wayne Enterprises giving out free scholarships to employees.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Sentinel Red posted:

I think it is in continuity though as it's Ducard's first appearance and goes into how he trained Bruce as a detective before their falling out.

But yeah, Bruce is crippled, recovers only to have it happen all over again a year or two later in Knightfall. Talk about careless, tsk.

Wasn't the badguy in that also someone who looked a lot like Bane.
Bonesmasher or something.
I think the issue was written by one of the writers of the 1989 Batman movie too.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

Wasn't the badguy in that also someone who looked a lot like Bane.
Bonesmasher or something.
I think the issue was written by one of the writers of the 1989 Batman movie too.

Yes.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Okay so apparently a comic from last year, Damian reads shojo manga, saying “it’s something he didn’t get from either of his parents”, however, Batman was famously able to tell a person was actually the Martian Manhunter in disguise because he had the same last name as Sailor Mars from Sailor Moon.

Where’s the comic where the two bond when they both discover the other likes shojo

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

thetoughestbean posted:

Batman was famously able to tell a person was actually the Martian Manhunter in disguise because he had the same last name as Sailor Mars

J'onn quietly hoping no one connects the dots between his little homage and Sailor Mars's flame powers.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

thetoughestbean posted:

Okay so apparently a comic from last year, Damian reads shojo manga, saying “it’s something he didn’t get from either of his parents”, however, Batman was famously able to tell a person was actually the Martian Manhunter in disguise because he had the same last name as Sailor Mars from Sailor Moon.

Where’s the comic where the two bond when they both discover the other likes shojo

that sounds like a future issue of Wayne family adventures

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Speaking of Wayne family adventures, the recent Jason 2 parter was really good.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Chip Zdarsky is writing Batman now and has a podcast about experiencing manga for the first time so expect the scene soon

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Batfam who'd read shoujo manga:
Damien - yes and canon
Dick - only if recommended
Jason - tells everyone no, but secretly thinks it's okay
Tim - everyone assumes he does, but he doesn't
Babs - maybe, but preferred something denser
Steph - doesn't care for it but will enjoy it for other people
Cass - yes
Duke - no
Bruce - only for academic purposes

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Xelkelvos posted:

Batfam who'd read shoujo manga:
Damien - yes and canon
Dick - only if recommended
Jason - tells everyone no, but secretly thinks it's okay
Tim - everyone assumes he does, but he doesn't
Babs - maybe, but preferred something denser
Steph - doesn't care for it but will enjoy it for other people
Cass - yes
Duke - no
Bruce - only for academic purposes

Bruce doesn't read shoujo but commits TvTropes pages to memory, just in case the Riddler decides to commit some anime crimes someday.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

You know Bruce only refers to series by the original Japanese name.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Thranguy posted:

Bruce doesn't read shoujo but commits TvTropes pages to memory, just in case the Riddler decides to commit some anime crimes someday.

TvTropes was established in 2004.
So going by a compressed timescale we are at the stage now where a pre-Batman Bruce Wayne would have had to search the world for InuYashaGoku420 and get him to teach Bruce how to be a master of Anime in a span of two weeks, just in case it might come up during his war on crime.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thranguy posted:

Also because of that otaku Toyman. (Last seen in Deathstroke, Inc.)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Lord_Hambrose posted:

You know Bruce only refers to series by the original Japanese name.

Batman refers to it by their Japanese name, but knows every localized version of the title

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

The Question IRL posted:

TvTropes was established in 2004.
So going by a compressed timescale we are at the stage now where a pre-Batman Bruce Wayne would have had to search the world for InuYashaGoku420 and get him to teach Bruce how to be a master of Anime in a span of two weeks, just in case it might come up during his war on crime.

Bruce in his anime year, journeying around the Western world to conventions until he's defeated everyone at the trivia contest panel

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Okay yo look...I'm no Tom King so what do I know, really? But the idea that Superman is not only able but also constantly hearing the cries of suffering from other planets, literal light-years away, is a bit hmmm uhh much.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

BrianWilly posted:

Okay yo look...I'm no Tom King so what do I know, really?

Be thankful for this.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mr. Unknown (Batman Japan) operated out of a manga shop.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

BrianWilly posted:

Okay yo look...I'm no Tom King so what do I know, really? But the idea that Superman is not only able but also constantly hearing the cries of suffering from other planets, literal light-years away, is a bit hmmm uhh much.

a lot more things make sense if you just assume that in comic books like in dungeons and dragons, aether theory is actually correct

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The contrast between that Superman story and that Aquaman story is so stark. The first one is just utterly depressing while the other is almost sweet

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I had this thought over in the Art thread, but I figured here was better.

Back in the 90's these costumes were awesome. I loved them. I loved Azrael. He was cool.

What I never thought was cool was this guy, Jean-Paul Valley. I don't know why but outside the costume he was just.. nothing. I hated it in a book when we had to deal with Jean-Paul and not Azrael.

Was that intentional? Was he supposed to be a lump of nothing outside the costume? Is JP better now? I see there's an Azrael limited series coming up, but I don't want to read it and get bogged down with this Jon Arbuckle dude half the time.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Joe Fisto posted:

Was that intentional? Was he supposed to be a lump of nothing outside the costume? Is JP better now? I see there's an Azrael limited series coming up, but I don't want to read it and get bogged down with this Jon Arbuckle dude half the time.

In the original Sword of Azrael there's a moment where Alfred reflects on how JP changes into a completely different person when he puts on the costume, so I assume it's intentional to a degree. I will admit, I'm not too familiar with him in the current continuity so I have no idea how he's been portrayed over it.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

catlord posted:

In the original Sword of Azrael there's a moment where Alfred reflects on how JP changes into a completely different person when he puts on the costume, so I assume it's intentional to a degree. I will admit, I'm not too familiar with him in the current continuity so I have no idea how he's been portrayed over it.

It’s been so long since I read that I’d forgotten.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

When Jean Paul was Batman he had short hair, and looked like more of a hard rear end.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I don't know why but a character design with round glasses that are completely white/opaque is like, The Most 90s Character Design to me, even more than the biggest shoulderpads and the most pouches you can think of

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I want to say there was some story recently that sorta touched on Valley's own insecurities with and without the costume and how he's nothing without it. I forget if it was in or out of canon though.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I much prefer this jRPG reject Jean Paul than his look as batman (A Guile Cut)

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

If I remember the original story introducing Azrael, Jean-Paul was pretty explicitly just some vaguely nebbish university student who gets kidnapped by cultists who casually drop that his freshly-dead dad was a secret assassin who's stuffed his head full of murder moves and brainwashing. And later on the end of Knightfall comes not by Batman physically beating Jean-Paul up but just by getting him to take his bathelmet off, which helps him escape from the giant pile of insane mental programming he's got influencing him, so I'd personally say that the root concept of 'this is literally just Some Boring Guy who's been hosed with and gets subverted by awful brain problems if he wears helmets' was always there.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 16, 2022

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Drakyn posted:

'this is literally just Some Boring Guy who's been hosed with and gets subverted by awful brain problems if he wears helmets'

if I had a nickel...

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Bring back azreal and orpheus..

Get rid of Bruce wayne

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So the Artemis one shot explains her motive in killing Hippolyta and it's dumb. It was to get Hippolyta to ascend into godhood so she could work that side to protect the Amazons for a greater threat. But she had to bind Artemis to secrecy until things settled down or else the plan wouldn't work.

Meanwhile in Catwoman, we see the other side of some stuff from Catwoman's perspective and while I guess it's the readers' fault for assuming she might've slept with someone on their her break with Bruce (like I did), it feels kinda like a cheap jab meant to deliberately stir up bullshit. Also she seems to be falling into some of the same emotional pitfall beats Batman has previously tread upon about not trusting other people to help her do the things she thinks are necessary to solve the problem.

The Young Justice Dark Crisis thing is definitely a bit of a love letter/commentary on the original series which I don't really have strong opinions on. The Flash one is similar in its own way as a love letter to the Flash family, but also includes a Fury Road pastiche.

The Black Adam book seems weird and dumb atm since it reads like a passing of the torch book, but since he's getting a movie soon, he won't get axed or replaced and whoever the new person is, who's probably gonna be his sidekick feels a lot like the new Dr. Fate in that they're both med school students of Middle Eastern descent and have a family relation to the hero they're connected to.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Just to be clear, both Dark Crisis YJ issues definitely read far less like "love letters" and more like they were written by someone who hates Young Justice and every character in it lol :sweatdrop:

Like I've completely flip-flopped on picking up Fitzmartin's upcoming Tim Drake series because of this book.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah that Young Justice book definitely reads like the writer hates the old Young Justice and they hate the new Young Justice and that they really, really hate Cassie

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Just to be clear, both Dark Crisis YJ issues definitely read far less like "love letters" and more like they were written by someone who hates Young Justice and every character in it lol :sweatdrop:

Like I've completely flip-flopped on picking up Fitzmartin's upcoming Tim Drake series because of this book.

As someone who is completely unfamiliar with the original, I wasn't sure.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

I really enjoyed the Dark Crisis: Superman book. Superman’s paradise is seeing his son grow up without a time skip. I like that the universe seems harsher than the one he came from, but it’s in the service of making Jon grow into a Superman with a sweet superbike.

The Aquaman backup was your typical paradise dimension thing, and the (Future State?) Flash was the main character for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah that Young Justice book definitely reads like the writer hates the old Young Justice and they hate the new Young Justice and that they really, really hate Cassie
I just saw a theory on another board that suggested that maybe Cassie's portion of the story is also actually set in a dream world, and I dunno if I buy that yet, but that would at least explain why Wally and Cissie have turned into primo assholes. But even if that were the case, the whole story still just drips with condescension at every turn, basically trying to...what, subject a twenty year-old comic book to cancel culture? Cringeworthy.