Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Cheeky Thandos wipes out half of all life in the universe, including plants and algae and poo poo so he also wipes out half of the resources to sustain life. Defeating his own plan.

Purple man and whoever wrote that are idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Worst thing is that despite being big tentpole action films, marvel movies have dogshit action sequences. People just flailing while the musical score tries to hypnotize the audience.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Some Guy TT posted:

like what was the last romance movie to even get good press
Shape of Water?

but well yeah you get hollywood oscarbait poo poo like lala land or whatever frequently but i dont think it's entirely dead as movies like Shape of Water have shown in popularity and acclaim (personally i don't like romance movies as a genre so i don't really care and don't follow them)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Tankbuster posted:

Worst thing is that despite being big tentpole action films, marvel movies have dogshit action sequences. People just flailing while the musical score tries to hypnotize the audience.
absolutely agreed. for being told over and over again they are all "gurrr turn ur brain off n enjoy, tis a popcorn flick duh!" like the one thing you'd want from popcorn flick is for them to have good action

the insane editting every 5 seconds splicing quick-cuts constantly also makes most of them feel way worse but yea it's a combination of laziness, phoning it in, lovely green-screen work, all the floaty weightless cgi, editting, etc makes them look like poo poo. at that point just style it like a comic with POW! pop-ups appearing, it'd be better

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/capybaroness/status/1546279908887957504

Xaris posted:

absolutely agreed. for being told over and over again they are all "gurrr turn ur brain off n enjoy, tis a popcorn flick duh!" like the one thing you'd want from popcorn flick is for them to have good action

the insane editting every 5 seconds splicing quick-cuts constantly also makes most of them feel way worse but yea it's a combination of laziness, phoning it in, lovely green-screen work, all the floaty weightless cgi, editting, etc makes them look like poo poo.

Snyder at least makes banger rear end action scenes like those kryptonians killing the Xcom squad in man of steel.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Xaris posted:

im gunna ship lin manuel miranda and taika watiti :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

tbf i think most of that is probably from Our Flag Means Death where the show is explicitly about being gay pirates

but uh yeah tumblrbrain gunna tumble, he's straight with kids lol
I thought OFMD is about MLM pirates? Its setting predates modernity trying to stuff every identity into distinct boxes with neat labels.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Isn't it actually some other guy's show,? Waititi just championed it into existence and took a role on it (otherwise it wouldn't have been made).

Same thing happened with Reservation Dogs, only without the acting part. They're not actually "his" shows.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Tankbuster posted:

https://twitter.com/capybaroness/status/1546279908887957504

Snyder at least makes banger rear end action scenes like those kryptonians killing the Xcom squad in man of steel.

or Batman assaulting the warehouse

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

the wildest thing about jojo rabbit is that it’s an adaptation of a book that’s a completely dead loving serious character drama about the Holocaust. soy mindhitler and all the gags are original to the film and book johannes is basically an incel.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

youve worked at a game company? how would you rate free guy in terms of accurate depiction of the game company experience

Free Guy loving infuriated me with how little sense it made; as I watched that movie I just kept getting drunker and angrier

At the beginning of it my wife thought I was being curmudgeonly and closed-minded and by the end she was making GBS threads on it with me

I did like that it was filmed in downtown Boston though, I knew exactly where all the dumb bullshit was happening

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

the wildest thing about jojo rabbit is that it’s an adaptation of a book that’s a completely dead loving serious character drama about the Holocaust. soy mindhitler and all the gags are original to the film and book johannes is basically an incel.

femcel scarjo you say...

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

I thought it was funny how the snyder cut partially redeemed snyder then his very next film was complete trash that made me feel physically sick to watch because of the horrible depth of field

It was an interesting experiment into "what if a snyder film but its also visually bad"

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I liked the shooty zombie bits. Snyder also seems to treat the cast and crew as human beings and put a mural of the USSR's space achievements after an interstitial that said "age of heroes".

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Having said that I'd still rather watch his cape flicks than mostly anyone else, theyre usually weird, visually interesting and attempt to say something.
I thought justice league was the weakest of the 3 though, the extended cut of BvS is my fav

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Tankbuster posted:

femcel scarjo you say...

Imagining an Elliot Rodgers biopic starring ScarJo as ER. It would work hollywood loves to cast her as an asian.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1546272374575845377

Marvel cannot die when people like this exist.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Having said that I'd still rather watch his cape flicks than mostly anyone else, theyre usually weird, visually interesting and attempt to say something.
I thought justice league was the weakest of the 3 though, the extended cut of BvS is my fav
JL is the most straightforward movie of the three. No more autistic immigrant experience with superman or neocon batman finding something greater to believe in.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Who cares, cash those checks Raimi and Waititi

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

i meant more in the artistic sense its kind of nuts to think that woody allen romcoms used to be regular oscar contenders and now the whole genre is just treated like mud that needs to be scraped off shoes and washed off in the gutter

like what was the last romance movie to even get good press i can only think of crazy rich asians youre way more likely to get weirdly cynical stuff like lala land where the moral is that love is dumb and you should chase outrageously implausible bootstraps fantasies instead

I've seen 'The Lost City' praised as a romantic comedy that did well, though from the trailer and the budget it looked more like an action/adventure comedy to me. I dunno someone should watch it and find out

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/1546272374575845377

Marvel cannot die when people like this exist.

JL is the most straightforward movie of the three. No more autistic immigrant experience with superman or neocon batman finding something greater to believe in.

JL just completely drops the first two films thing that the American empire and the MIC are the greatest enemies of the world and superman will eventually have to confront or change them.
And from the stuff released about what was planned next that was never coming back.

Also snyder batman is clearly gay and they were gonna hook him up with Lois, boo!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Those were all older drafts. Still Superman doesn't talk about truth justice and the american way, he blows up Predator drones. JL did have that bear and bull fighting in front of a bank for cyborg's amusement.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What were the people who identify this hard with a brand like 100 years ago?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The best part of the cyborg intro scene was his dad narrating how cyborg has all this power and must be restrained in its use while cyborg himself is all “nah that’s dumb” and uses his ultrahacking superpower to give a woman free money to make rent

Tankbuster posted:

femcel scarjo you say...

johannes isnt scarjo, its the kid. in the book hes older, more like 14-17 rather than 10, and he tricks the jewish girl into staying with him for 3 years past the wars end by lying and saying the nazis won the war

Babysitter Super Sleuth has issued a correction as of 14:20 on Jul 11, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Some Guy TT posted:

like what was the last romance movie to even get good press i can only think of crazy rich asians youre way more likely to get weirdly cynical stuff like lala land where the moral is that love is dumb and you should chase outrageously implausible bootstraps fantasies instead

Always Be My Maybe?

Which is about as old as Crazy Rich Asians anyway.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

catholics

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The best part of the cyborg intro scene was his dad narrating how cyborg has all this power and must be restrained in its use while cyborg himself is all “nah that’s dumb” and uses his ultrahacking superpower to give a woman free money to make rent

yeah that was nice, in a marvel movie that would have been portrayed as a villainous act

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pfft, I don’t even have posters of the Stations of the Cross in my room.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Who cares, cash those checks Raimi and Waititi
emptyquotin’

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

joe football posted:

I've seen 'The Lost City' praised as a romantic comedy that did well, though from the trailer and the budget it looked more like an action/adventure comedy to me. I dunno someone should watch it and find out

It's pretty solid, felt like a modern take on Romancing the Stone. I saw it on a weekday afternoon so the audience mostly consisted of middle-aged women who were very excited when Sanda Bullock peeled leeches off of Channing Tatum's bare rear end.

It's mostly an action/adventure comedy but there's some romance in it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

I’m a Dapper Dan man damnit!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

johannes isnt scarjo, its the kid. in the book hes older, more like 14-17 rather than 10, and he tricks the jewish girl into staying with him for 3 years past the wars end by lying and saying the nazis won the war

Fair enough. Adolescents are nauseating.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

it's so wild that we just kinda accepted a dude turning a tragic story of abuse and the cruelty of man in a cruel and inhuman circumstance into soyface hitler dance party with a happy ending that tells you to just let the holocaust wash over you. Like, absolute insane poo poo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
we just let a dude make a modern version of that Jerry Lewis 'clown in a concentration camp' movie and pointing it out made you the bigot for a little bit. It was a wild time.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

sexpig by night posted:

we just let a dude make a modern version of that Jerry Lewis 'clown in a concentration camp' movie and pointing it out made you the bigot for a little bit. It was a wild time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pAYEQP8gx3w

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

What the....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_Is_Beautiful

Roger Ebert gave the film 3.5/4 stars, stating: "At Cannes, it offended some left-wing critics with its use of humor in connection with the Holocaust. What may be most offensive to both wings is its sidestepping of politics in favor of simple human ingenuity. The film finds the right notes to negotiate its delicate subject matter ... The movie actually softens the Holocaust slightly, to make the humor possible at all. In the real death camps there would be no role for Guido. But Life Is Beautiful is not about Nazis and Fascists, but about the human spirit. It is about rescuing whatever is good and hopeful from the wreckage of dreams. About hope for the future. About the necessary human conviction, or delusion, that things will be better for our children than they are right now."

[25] Michael Wilmington of the Chicago Tribune gave the movie a score of 100/100, calling it: "A deeply moving blend of cold terror and rapturous hilarity. Lovingly crafted by Italy's top comedian and most popular filmmaker, it's that rare comedy that takes on a daring and ambitious subject and proves worthy of it."[26]

Edit: That is the magic of loving narrative art. The ability to make a viewer believe a character can just pretend away for two years the horrors of the holocaust. It's done by just excluding those scenes where the fantasy would have been easily broken for any normal human. Swell the music harder!

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 17:49 on Jul 11, 2022

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
https://twitter.com/jackarking/status/1544607555678257154?s=20&t=awhly8RjSO0IGwPqZffdFA

Communist Thoughts posted:

JL just completely drops the first two films thing that the American empire and the MIC are the greatest enemies of the world and superman will eventually have to confront or change them.
And from the stuff released about what was planned next that was never coming back.

I think the plan was for him to cover the MIC stuff in Superman movies and the released plans were just for Justice League sequels

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

See this is a good review but then I start looking Esther's letterboxd and she gave EEAAO a half star but the new Matrix movie 5 stars. Is there a term for milkshake duck but for reading someone's ratings on LB?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Frosted Flake posted:

supporters of the british empire

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mantis42 posted:

See this is a good review but then I start looking Esther's letterboxd and she gave EEAAO a half star but the new Matrix movie 5 stars. Is there a term for milkshake duck but for reading someone's ratings on LB?

"bad taste"

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
idk how anyone with a brain and a heart can like the new matrix more than EEAAO unless they're just reflexively hating stuff people say is good and liking stuff people say is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Mantis42 posted:

lmfao

twitumbler movie critics are the loving worst