Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

RoboRodent posted:

I am going to housesit for my mom and her wife for the next week and I am looking forward to hearing their neighbour's deranged rooster who crows like he's dying, but constantly

I love him

Please return and post updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

RoboRodent posted:

I am going to housesit for my mom and her wife for the next week and I am looking forward to hearing their neighbour's deranged rooster who crows like he's dying, but constantly

I love him

Yeah, photos, obv.

That's a great idea.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

spookygonk posted:

Yeah, photos, obv.

I don't think I can get photos, but maybe I can record the sound.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 13 days!)

RoboRodent posted:

I love him
:swoon:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i got some new outdoor shoes (tie-dyed crocs) and Darlin' the rooster hates them. he viciously attacks them every time i go outside. what a snob

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Nettle Soup posted:

and they're gone. Funny thing is though, the people who came to get them turned out to be the ones who sold us our dog, so it was nice for them to see that she's doing fine!

I had to give up my original six birds back in December because the property we bought didn't have a fence up and we didn't have time to rectify that. After networking with friends, we found someone that was down to two really old hens with a very large coop in a same-sized back yard that was ready to rehome them and give them the exact same lifestyle they were used to with us. It's bittersweet but it sounds like you've got the relief of knowing they'll do well at the new place.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Every time I go into their garden, they know.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Large Marge and Audrey II (the vicious hen) hatched their chicks yesterday. All 11 hatched, which is amazing! 3 eggs were under Marge and the rest were in the incubator in the house to protect them from the rat snake (that we relocated last week).

Marge

Audrey II

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

so large

Joburg posted:

Audrey II

that feather poof :kimchi: very fierce :haibrow:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
What a hat for a hen to wear!

Well done, both. :love:

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

:swoon:
In absolute awe of this chunk of a chook

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Poor Betty (the white chicken in my prior dust bathing video) died overnight :(
The rest of the flock seems completely healthy so no idea what caused it. She was a bit off her food with a floppy comb and general lethargy, but after putting her in a "chicken hospital" with some rehydration fluid and mash she perked up again. It was very hot weather so I just put it down to her not getting enough water. Then over the course of a day she rapidly degraded.
It's a bit frustrating as very few vets here will even look at chickens - the first time we had an ill chicken we phoned around every one in the area with no luck.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Razakai posted:

The rest of the flock seems completely healthy so no idea what caused it. She was a bit off her food with a floppy comb and general lethargy, but after putting her in a "chicken hospital" with some rehydration fluid and mash she perked up again. It was very hot weather so I just put it down to her not getting enough water. Then over the course of a day she rapidly degraded.
It's a bit frustrating as very few vets here will even look at chickens - the first time we had an ill chicken we phoned around every one in the area with no luck.

So sorry for your loss, she was lovely.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

it's been a hard few months for chickenthread :( my heart is with all of you that lose a bird. they are such simple little things, but you get to know each individual personality and you really miss them when they're gone. and seeing the flock grieve is so tragic.

i have a 15-week-old cattledog pup now that i'm trying to train not to murder the quail. so far it's been a success in that no quail have died, but the pup makes clear her intentions to eat one as soon as possible. still the quail don't react to her as a predator. only mini-moose tries to avoid her. thrice she's taken a bird entirely into her mouth, three different birds - whole bird, head and body, without biting down - and even then, they have remained perfectly calm. when she drops them, they waddle unhurriedly away from her without a care in the world. i weep for the species

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

they are gentle. they love peace

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Razakai posted:

sorry about Betty :sympathy:

it's really upsetting when they just deteriorate without you having any idea of what caused it :( i share your frustration on the difficulty in finding vet care for chickens

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

it's been a hard few months for chickenthread :( my heart is with all of you that lose a bird. they are such simple little things, but you get to know each individual personality and you really miss them when they're gone. and seeing the flock grieve is so tragic.

i have a 15-week-old cattledog pup now that i'm trying to train not to murder the quail. so far it's been a success in that no quail have died, but the pup makes clear her intentions to eat one as soon as possible. still the quail don't react to her as a predator. only mini-moose tries to avoid her. thrice she's taken a bird entirely into her mouth, three different birds - whole bird, head and body, without biting down - and even then, they have remained perfectly calm. when she drops them, they waddle unhurriedly away from her without a care in the world. i weep for the species

good luck with the training :shittydog:

i'm in the process of looking into adopting a new dog and chicken compatibility is coming up a lot - there are so so many abandoned lurchers/greyhounds/misc sighthounds from the horrific nightmare dog racing culture here that i think would make lovely pets, but not for me with a small flock of hens :(

have you any experience with kelpies? there's a young kelpie/collie cross that they're recommending as it's hard to find homes for high energy working dogs as well and i already have a collie and am used to their needs. i don't know anything about kelpies as i've never seen one here - collies already satisfy the need for sheepdogs and it's difficult to import dogs from abroad.

Enfys fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 4, 2022

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

four (4!) broodies who are sad at being locked out of the coop

this is too many broodies for me to isolate so hopefully they'll get the hint eventually

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Such broody floofs!

Razakai posted:

Sorry for your loss. Roost in Peace, Betty.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

City of Glompton posted:

four (4!) broodies who are sad at being locked out of the coop

this is too many broodies for me to isolate so hopefully they'll get the hint eventually

Give them eggs! Give them eggs!

LOL

My newest broody, Merryweather, (Fauna’s sister and Blazer’s daughter from last summer) went broody last week. I thought, “brilliant! I’ll share out Blanche’s 10 eggs next week at hatch and it will be great!” :eng101:

Yesterday was lockdown day for the eggs so I gave half to each but today I saw Merryweather off her nest. I went to check and a couple of her eggs were pipped and cheeping, soooo obviously one week wasn’t enough for Merryweather to be ready for hatching. I gave those eggs to Blanche, hopefully they can finish hatching and not get shrink wrapped. I’ll have to start some new eggs for Merryweather, so she will have to sit for another week because of my mess up. :eng99:

I guess I learned a lesson.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Enfys posted:

i'm in the process of looking into adopting a new dog and chicken compatibility is coming up a lot - there are so so many abandoned lurchers/greyhounds/misc sighthounds from the horrific nightmare dog racing culture here that i think would make lovely pets, but not for me with a small flock of hens :(

have you any experience with kelpies? there's a young kelpie/collie cross that they're recommending as it's hard to find homes for high energy working dogs as well and i already have a collie and am used to their needs. i don't know anything about kelpies as i've never seen one here - collies already satisfy the need for sheepdogs and it's difficult to import dogs from abroad.
kelpies! :buddy: as i understand it, kelpies are just old-timey collies crossed with dingo. that's amazing that you've even found one in the uk. i love them - they are extremely smart and naturally want to be trained like a collie, and also have the naturally exquisite personal hygiene and weird gymnastic ability of a dingo. they are super high energy, prone to anxiety and need to be kept stimulated, but no more so than collies in my experience, and the kelpies i've met have all been super affectionate and love being around people.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

Joburg posted:

Give them eggs! Give them eggs!

LOL

My newest broody, Merryweather, (Fauna’s sister and Blazer’s daughter from last summer) went broody last week. I thought, “brilliant! I’ll share out Blanche’s 10 eggs next week at hatch and it will be great!” :eng101:

Yesterday was lockdown day for the eggs so I gave half to each but today I saw Merryweather off her nest. I went to check and a couple of her eggs were pipped and cheeping, soooo obviously one week wasn’t enough for Merryweather to be ready for hatching. I gave those eggs to Blanche, hopefully they can finish hatching and not get shrink wrapped. I’ll have to start some new eggs for Merryweather, so she will have to sit for another week because of my mess up. :eng99:

I guess I learned a lesson.

good luck! if it weren't for roosters, i'd consider it :P as it is, i'm afraid two of the australorp "pullets" we got from D&B are roos :shrug:

re: dogs. we ended up with a border collie by accident. he is definitely a work in progress with the chickens. he gets very excited when i take him out there. he's such a quick learner and eager to please that i feel more confident than not that he'll eventually be able to handle the awesome responsibility of existing with the flock. we shall see

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 9, 2022

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My cairn terrier leaves my chickens alone. In fact, he loves barking at anything large flying over head so we usually throw him in the yard when we have them running around. He is absolutely awful at jumping so they could get out of his reach easily if they wanted to.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Blanche has 10 chicks! Nine hatched without any trouble and I had to help one out of the shell due to shrink wrapping. That little chick also had closed eyes on day 2, I was worried I had missed a birth defect but nope, they were just stuck and when I cleaned them off it could open them. I’m so thankful that I was able to fix that! If it’s not found early that could have been permanent.

That’s the little chick with squinty eyes at the front left. It has since opened its eyes fully :)

In really sad news, Penny the Penedesenca died. I have no idea what happened, she was just dead out in the woods covered with fire ants last night. I saw some blood near her face but no big wounds. Her giant chicks are missing her, she was STILL mothering them at 7-1/2 weeks. She was officially the longest mothering hen we had. I’m extra disappointed that I didn’t get any of her biological chicks to pass on that wonderful mothering trait.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

good job Blanche (and Joburg)

i took some chicken pics this evening, sadly my phone camera cannot handle movement and evening light so they are a little blurry

sharing anyway because folks...Lil' Pep is looking much better

before

now

she wasn't willing to hold still for a picture, but she's still really cute. she needs to grow back a few more feathers, and lose the purple from the anti-pick lotion but she's well on the road to recovery. sadly my other frizzle is currently in the state Pep was in before, so the cycle begins anew. do they make peepers for banties?

Pep loves to eat the seeds out of the grass that we let go to seed

so do the pullets

they are big enough to run through the jungle

here's Darlin', he hates the gay crocs i bought for yardwork. he's getting ready to viciously peck them

he's a good boy though see him keep lookout so Scarlett and Navi can peck to their hearts content

not pictured: Beans, Pearl, Wildflower, and Clarice who are all still being broody :argh: e: and Izzie, who cannot be in the same area as Darlin' :rolleyes:

and this concludes an evening with my chickens

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 9, 2022

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

glorious birds

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

it's so lovely to have a place online where i am guaranteed to see happy healthy animals living their best lives

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Oh my! :swoon:

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

She looks like she's at the beach!

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

RudeCat posted:

She looks like she's at the beach!

What's a chicken version of a summer beach read, I wonder.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i have 4 roosters in my hutch

sounds like I'm about to have 2 roosters (for breakfast)

i still haven't named any of them beyond Firstborn so I think I'll be okay

(I will probably set up a second hutch as a bachelor pad)

Edit: apparently you shouldn't do this so plan A is still...."ON THE TABLE!" :tipshat:

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 10, 2022

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

My experience has told me the other roosters will be chased off and grabbed by predators if you live in any rural area at all so good luck to your dinner cocks.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

City of Glompton posted:

Pep loves to eat the seeds out of the grass that we let go to seed

drat fine flapper.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

there's so much crowing happening i'm about to set up a webcam just so i can figure out who the gently caress is actually a rooster and who isn't

i found one of the Really Pretty babies crowing today, on top of everyone else mentioned above...

i'm sad, but i know that's just the odds and how they can go!

lekker
May 27, 2022

birds the word

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Looked out in the yard and saw a hawk just chilling in that wading pool I'd put out for the girls, but other than being a bit upset about it, they were all fine and accounted for after it left. :ohdear:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

lekker posted:

birds the word

are those peacocks?

lekker
May 27, 2022
yes they are my adopted pea children

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

lekker posted:

birds the word
dignified and full of grace

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Imagined posted:

Looked out in the yard and saw a hawk just chilling in that wading pool I'd put out for the girls, but other than being a bit upset about it, they were all fine and accounted for after it left. :ohdear:

A pool of water
Instead of a tasty bird
Fleeting bargain struck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/mellifexfarm/status/1542984132044652546