Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Explosionface posted:

Yeah, we had another console TV that was great for putting the NES and Genesis on top of.

So the controller cords could dangle in front of the screen? How barbaric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah both the game console and You go on the floor

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
If you put your TV in a big console you'll just make it harder to get at the switch box at the back.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There used to be a decorative item called a "tv lamp" that stood on the top of the TV and threw a soft backwash of light on the wall to prevent eyestrain. I love this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/115455895199

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There used to be a decorative item called a "tv lamp" that stood on the top of the TV and threw a soft backwash of light on the wall to prevent eyestrain. I love this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/115455895199

My grandma had a really cool one that was a Siamese cat but my sister snagged it before I could when we were cleaning out the house.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There used to be a decorative item called a "tv lamp" that stood on the top of the TV and threw a soft backwash of light on the wall to prevent eyestrain. I love this one:

this is amazing.

oh poo poo:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Omg THAT'S what that duck on my grandparent's TV was for???

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah I have a bias light on all my TV's. Works great

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I remember my grandparents' TV had a lightbulb on the back of it for that purpose, built into the TV.

On my own TV now I've mounted some low temp white LED strips on the back because it doesn't have built in backlighting.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

For convoluted reasons, I'm in posession of my first real cable TV subscription in decades, and I'm thinking back to the old cable box we used to have with the seven-segment LEDs. The thing always turned on with a definitive "ca-thunk" sound that I now assume to be like maybe some sort of relay or something being engaged?

Anyway, my modern story is less interesting because apparently I'm one of the five people left on earth with a use case for CableCards.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Neito posted:

For convoluted reasons, I'm in posession of my first real cable TV subscription in decades, and I'm thinking back to the old cable box we used to have with the seven-segment LEDs. The thing always turned on with a definitive "ca-thunk" sound that I now assume to be like maybe some sort of relay or something being engaged?

Anyway, my modern story is less interesting because apparently I'm one of the five people left on earth with a use case for CableCards.
I threw away our last TiVo a couple of years back.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Neito posted:

Our cable box had an outlet on the back that was switched with a relay. This was so you could leave the tv power switch in the ON position and control its power via the cable box remote.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I really loved cable as a kid and even into the early 2010's but the cost had become so high that i had to give it up.

I got cable again for a few months last year because of nostalgia for the aughts i suppose, and i was pleased to see that the price had stayed relatively stable.

Then i actually tried to use it and it sucked rear end. My dvr was way less sophisticated than the one i had 10 years ago and it was much more difficult to search and customize your recording schedule.

The content itself was the worst part though. Basically every channel i liked back then now only shows huge blocks of one show for hours at a time. It used to be that shows were run in syndication from beginning to end so you could watch the entire series. Now though, even if the show you're watching has 20 years of episodes they will only run a select 30 or 40 episodes repeating every 2 weeks. It's some loving bull poo poo

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

titties posted:

I really loved cable as a kid and even into the early 2010's but the cost had become so high that i had to give it up.

I got cable again for a few months last year because of nostalgia for the aughts i suppose, and i was pleased to see that the price had stayed relatively stable.

Then i actually tried to use it and it sucked rear end. My dvr was way less sophisticated than the one i had 10 years ago and it was much more difficult to search and customize your recording schedule.

The content itself was the worst part though. Basically every channel i liked back then now only shows huge blocks of one show for hours at a time. It used to be that shows were run in syndication from beginning to end so you could watch the entire series. Now though, even if the show you're watching has 20 years of episodes they will only run a select 30 or 40 episodes repeating every 2 weeks. It's some loving bull poo poo

I gave up on cable 6 or 7 years ago, it’s kind of impressive how quickly it degraded in that time. I stayed with my parents for like a week last year and was kind of excited to not have to pick things to watch. It’s like you said where several hour long blocks are shown but most channels don’t seem to put any effort into branding anymore. Like, they don’t have named programming blocks or little bumpers or anything (except adult swim because that’s sort of their entire thing). The non-scripted network shows are insanely dire too, just bottom of the barrel crap designed to make boomers giggle for a few seconds.

Basically, real cable is indistinguishable from Pluto TV now.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

8 hours of Two And A Half Men, followed by 8 hours of Big Bang Theory, followed by 8 hours of Storage Wars is basically most cable channels now.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It’s usually four-hour blocks, but sometimes the same block repeats on the same day.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My mom has some kind of digital cable package and it fuckin lists Netflix as a channel in the channel guide so olds can actually find it lmao

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Killingyouguy! posted:

My mom has some kind of digital cable package and it fuckin lists Netflix as a channel in the channel guide so olds can actually find it lmao

Kind of the opposite of how my (new, Sony, Android) TV lists "TV" as an app along with youtube and netflix.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We still have my partners ancient one as it’s integrated into the cable box, and for some baffling reason, he still wants cable. I do not know why but we also have all the functionality of said cable box/TiVo as an app, that we can chromecast to, which we also have.

I’m starting to weigh the reality that I will be cremating my partner someday with that goddamn box.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I miss the history channel back when it was at least 12 hours of Nazi documentaries every day

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

I miss the history channel back when it was at least 12 hours of Nazi documentaries every day

Ah yes, back when it was the Hitler Channel

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Next on History: Hitler's Dog's Secret Mistress

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

History teacher in the far future:

Yeah there is a lot of that

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Arsenic Lupin posted:

the condos we live in did away with the free basic cable in May of last year, so I cancelled our other TV services (since we'd be liable for a $190/mo bill for the whole thing instead of the $50-60 we were paying for add-on services). Lo and behold, for some reason the basic cable still works, no one ever bothered to cut off the building. Since our living room TV lacks a TV Tuner, I pulled out my circa-2011 Tivo and we're good to go.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It’s usually four-hour blocks, but sometimes the same block repeats on the same day.

this is a "trick" used to programm digital channels who own little actual programmes. it is assumed that every viewer has a set daily routine, and tends to watch tv at the same time every day, eg someone might have the tv running from 7 to 8 for breakfast & then from 7 till 9 after work. this allows the channel to air the exact same episodes every day, except theyll shift them by a couple hours. episode A will air at 7 on monday, tuesdays youll have ep B at 7 and ep A at 9 and so on. now if you never tune in outside your normal routine, youll be none the wiser

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/VerbalTwo/status/1546213959770021888?t=48LWkNhtDzHBG3lfrWV7FA&s=19

Check out this ancient poster I just scored

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I like how most of the lovely jokes are timeless but then there's "NANO NANO" dating this poster very, very firmly in the early 80s.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I like how most of the lovely jokes are timeless but then there's "NANO NANO" dating this poster very, very firmly in the early 80s.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/06dbecd6-cda4-499c-a857-7fe4fda81291

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

titties posted:

Yeah, I dropped cable around 2006, when I realized I could watch the majority of what I was watching was free with an antenna. Every time I encounter it, I really am glad I dropped it back then.

Hell, at this point the OTA sub-channels, despite being almost entirely reruns, gives me way more entertainment value than anything I've seen on cable every time I brush up against it.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Computer viking posted:

Kind of the opposite of how my (new, Sony, Android) TV lists "TV" as an app along with youtube and netflix.

My mom's TV also does that (it's some kind of hosed up Cable Provider OEM TV or some poo poo) but when I navigated to that top menu she'd never seen it before and thought I was doing advanced hacking poo poo

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Killingyouguy! posted:

My mom's TV also does that (it's some kind of hosed up Cable Provider OEM TV or some poo poo) but when I navigated to that top menu she'd never seen it before and thought I was doing advanced hacking poo poo

This used to be VCR programming

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/MrTimDunn/status/1546386124012134401?s=20&t=7vnIU1cQlDnecfkFu6XRRg

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You need to share that with the Locomotive Insanity thread

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

For those who are wondering, that little diesel shunter locomotive is only there because the steam tram (yes, tram) locomotive doesn't have the appropriate coupling to couple with the modern automatic one on the train. It's not providing any traction.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

LimaBiker posted:

For those who are wondering, that little diesel shunter locomotive is only there because the steam tram (yes, tram) locomotive doesn't have the appropriate coupling to couple with the modern automatic one on the train. It's not providing any traction.

Dongles for headphones, dongles for trains, the future is dongles for all

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/HumanoidHistory/status/1550501124431663105?s=20&t=ijx1yvIIDSxoqDEUaRp0rw

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

holy poo poo

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

LifeSunDeath posted:

holy poo poo
Time traveling back to 1950:

Some day you can order cat food and athletic jorts from your refrigerator.

1950's resident: holy poo poo computers got THAT SMALL???!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

LifeSunDeath posted:

holy poo poo

Same one caught my eye. I want it.