Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Leraika posted:

Moonshell :allears:

It was so nice to use my DS as an mp3 player.

it was my first mp3 player lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
My first anime was Maya the Bee on german television when I was 4 years old. It wasn't until 22 years later that I learned that it even was an anime

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
On the bus to school, I sat next to an older kid who I used to borrow Dragon magazine from, who each week enthusiastically showed me drawings and told me the plot of some show he was watching on tv which much older me now realises was Evangelion.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

First anime was probably Pokemon, the first anime I thought of as anime was probably yugioh, after that I mostly either watched whatever stuff my sister got on dvd (like escaflowne or some episodes of cowboy bebop that weren’t even sequential or in order or anything) or stuff on toonami like Naruto. I was actually more into manga as a kid, I read the DBZ manga before watching the anime (which might be why I find the anime unwatchable, I’m sorry I really tried) and I was one of the idiot nerds who had a subscription to US shonen jump.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Did you know moomins are anime? It's true

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So is inspector gadget to a convoluted degree. I'm still not quite sure how you go from a child friendly foreign market Lupin III to Gadget.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

So is inspector gadget to a convoluted degree. I'm still not quite sure how you go from a child friendly foreign market Lupin III to Gadget.

Rights issues wrt the Leblanc estate, basically.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i watched bobobo, naruto and other random episodes of shonen anime on toonami but never actually knew how to seek out other anime until i walked in on my brothers watching mobile suit gundam once and then they started showing me stuff like escaflowne and gurren lagann. eventually i got my own computer and started watching some shows on youtube, but at some point my brother told me how to torrent cause i wanted to play jedi academy and one of the discs was missing and eventually i realized that if i can torrent video games, i can probably also torrent anime.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Terry van Feleday posted:

My first anime was Maya the Bee on german television when I was 4 years old. It wasn't until 22 years later that I learned that it even was an anime

:aaaaa:

But speaking of anime on German TV, the german version of the Sailor moon opening was rad :pcgaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPAPTiCM9b4

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Terry van Feleday posted:

Wait, it's an anime!? I always thought it was one of those European cartoons like the Once Upon a Time... french series.

Which is weird cause I did know Heidi and Marco the cartoons were anime, although only years ago. Which I guess would also count despite being so old my mom watched them when she was younger.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I watched most of black lagoon in a 240p window

in more recent news I’ve reached the point in Demon Slayer where an eclectic group of twelve elite warriors is dropped onto the screen and I don’t think I can go through this again

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The first anime I watched was Vampire Hunter D back when I was in middle school, the first anime SERIES I watched was Slayers via some old VHS copies that combined multiple episodes from the first season together into a sort of mini movie.

I think I might have caught a few episodes of Speed Racer and Voltron/Golion on TV as a kid as well

I remember seeing parts of Record of Lodoss War in addition to all that but never the whole thing, is it any good out of curiosity?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 11, 2022

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Wait, it's an anime!? I always thought it was one of those European cartoons like the Once Upon a Time... french series.
Yup, it was made at Zuiyo Enterprises/Nippon Animation, same studio as Heidi of the Alps and Moomin. A lot of the seemingly very european cartoons of the era are actually japanese, some were commissioned/financed by western TV stations but animated in japan like Alfred J. Kwak.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Downloading anime and manga via 30 rapidshare .rars
downloading nebulous anime amvs via kazaa

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
dragon dragon rock the dragon, dragon ball Zeeeeeee

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Larryb posted:

I remember seeing parts of Record of Lodoss War in addition to all that but never the whole thing, is it any good out of curiosity?
I started watching it last year and my kid came down to catch some of the first episode and he loved it.

Me? It's just as fun as when I was 12 and watching it on SciFi

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Oxxidation posted:

in more recent news I’ve reached the point in Demon Slayer where an eclectic group of twelve elite warriors is dropped onto the screen and I don’t think I can go through this again

That was the first episode I saw when I walked in on my housemates watching the show and it cemented my lack of desire to go back and watch the whole thing. My god that episode was a grind.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Oxxidation posted:

I haven't kept up with Demon Slayer at all but were they good guys or bad guys.

In my experience it works for the bad guys but not so much for the good guys.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

they kind of act like some of them might be antagonists but no basically none of them are ultimately

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they are good guys (unpleasant)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i only remember the two girl ones and i think thats just me being gay because the pink one is barely even in the thing

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Big RIP.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

*A bunch of evil weirdos show up.*

Oh man, I can't wait to see the protagonist and their best buds go up against these guys, who have just enough personality and visual flair to accent the handful of battles they'll be involved in before dying.

*A bunch of helpful weirdos show up.*

Oh geez, I can't believe the protagonist and their best buds' character development is going to be sidelined so these jokers can maybe contribute but probably not.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

half of them have significant enough focus, which i don't think even includes Kanroji. but with those arcs from Train through Sword Village you can tell there was probably an original plan to center arcs around one or two Pillars, and you could do stuff with the Moons simultaneously (like Entertainment District).

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

flame guy, love girl, flower girl and bug girl are cool. the rest are mid to bad

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Goat eyed weirdo sucked.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
except for the final arc, where it feels like a lot of stuff that was originally planned to run a lot longer suddenly gets mashed together into a single arc, the elite warriors remain mostly side characters who exist to guide the protagonists to their next plot point

demon slayer has its pain points, especially near the end, but it mostly does a pretty decent job of avoiding the most contrived and overdone shonen trends

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
my first anime was deffo Ronin Warriors

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bad Seafood posted:

*A bunch of evil weirdos show up.*

Oh man, I can't wait to see the protagonist and their best buds go up against these guys, who have just enough personality and visual flair to accent the handful of battles they'll be involved in before dying.

*A bunch of helpful weirdos show up.*

Oh geez, I can't believe the protagonist and their best buds' character development is going to be sidelined so these jokers can maybe contribute but probably not.

When Kubo was doing his 4 chapter limited run first season whatever the gently caress is going on with Burn the Witch and he just couldn't help but introduce a new council of 12 characters in the first chapter, I was cackling

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Kubo literally can't tell a story without introducing a new batch of fashionable professionals every half-hour.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

he just wants to design people which is why its baffling he's not a big name character designer already

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Post the council, I wanna see 'em.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
today im going to try and sew this patch onto my leather jacket

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Patware posted:

he just wants to design people which is why its baffling he's not a big name character designer already
When I saw he got a gig doing character designs for Sakura Wars I thought "Good, that's perfect, just keep doing this." Dude can't write or draw interesting backgrounds, but he can absolutely draw good-looking anime people.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bad Seafood posted:

Post the council, I wanna see 'em.

Forgive the lines, I'm taking quick caps from Shonen Jump's web reader

This was literally the first chapter of the 4 chapter run.

E: Yes one of them is a Nazi

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

That Harry Shayk is one bad mudda.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
those are some awful names lmao

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Eagerly awaiting the chapter where Kubo reveals this council answers to an even higher council.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Bad Seafood posted:

Eagerly awaiting the chapter where Kubo reveals this council answers to an even higher council.

Wing Bind is secretly Soul Society Western Branch, so they do report to Squad 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Pretty sure Samurai Deeper Kyo is still the series that gets the most councils deep. Every single bad guy in that story secretly answered to another group of badder, even more secretive guys.

Covok posted:

Wing Bind is secretly Soul Society Western Branch, so they do report to Squad 0.
Stupendous.