Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Failson posted:

Honest question, how is that area of Vermont? It looks pleasant and green, and the housing costs don't seem too outrageous, and the available places kinda charming.

I've been obsessed with it since I saw Time Chasers.

Eh, at least it's not Bennington. :v:

It's definitely a "rust belt, but further east" part of the state rather than a "Greenwich Village vacation homes" part of the state, which is to its credit honestly. You're going to have to drive a couple hours for anything much more ethnic than General Tso's, but you do end up with daily rail service to the Amtrak main trunk and the drive brings you to commuter service on it/an okay airport.

The housing is not midwest cheap, but could be a lot worse, and pretty uniquely the corporates aren't even touching us yet. The weather... Well, that's no longer the northern limit of no real snow (now somewhere in mid-Quebec) and it's no longer the southern limit of not wanting an AC at times (probably somewhere in the arctic now), but there aren't really any actual disasters short of flooding in floodplains. Most infrastructure is decrepit New Deal leftovers, but there's still some level of effort made at patching it. The water will probably run out, but it will run out here last out of almost anywhere.

The major downside, IMO, is that there is absolutely nothing of interest, no hope, and no future for kids between about 10 and 25. If you're planning to have them, have a plan in place to get them the gently caress out for a while, or they'll have a nice decade or two unsuccessfully competing for the prized position of grocery bagger with people with 40 years experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

It’s kinda confusing but this makes me think you could get prosecuted:
https://www.justice.gov/criminal-ceos/obscenity

Maybe a lawyer goon can chime in, I’d love to hear that I’m wrong and that I can send Goatse to unsolicited texts

go to a library, sign up for an email, send goatse. pretty simple

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

actionjackson posted:

hey it's starting to go down

number is supposed to go up!!!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

that dumb barn door thing has gone way too far

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Thank you for the Rutland posting.

Honestly, living in an old house in the woods of Vermont with nothing to do, and no internet, sounds pretty nice.

Portland Oregon and Metro housing: Rents seem high as ever, houses may be a bit off from their peak, but not much.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

housing is extremely affordable again, purchase the lot of them

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nonsense posted:

housing is extremely affordable again, purchase the lot of them

hmm apologies if I’m being a goose but I just checked and it seems like it is not affordable??? am I looking at the right attachment or did Dale send the wrong spreadsheet (again LOL!)?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

l m a o

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
i just sold my house in central texas for 9% over my list price for a total gain of like 35% after 3 years ownership with no improvements and only basic maintenance during that time so everything is fine except i cant afford to buy in my new area now

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

how does that left one work then...what with the...wall....

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

i am harry posted:

They both slide toward the center

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

oh I see they go in front of the drawers, great. thank christ the people in that bathroom are safe from hitting their shins on the corner of an open door

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

i am harry posted:

How did you imagine the right one worked?

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Joementum posted:

Rutland is probably the worst place in Vermont to live. That's still better than a lot of places in the US, but it has all of the disadvantages of small run down cities outside of VT and few of the advantages of being in VT.

Housing in VT is also hosed because nothing has been allowed to be built in the last fifty years, so anything at the ~$300k price point is going to be from the 70s or earlier, not well maintained, and need significant repairs. Since there's nothing else at the bottom of the market, they will still sell, over asking, in about a week.

Higher up the price point we're starting to see properties sit for a bit, but those are only affordable if you have a job out of state.

If you are trying to find a house to buy in VT, you will need to use this to determine whether you will be able to get internet access at all https://vtpsd.maps.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=c47f156cef4a4db0b407333fc5dab63f. You should also investigate what the local property tax rates are as they're likely to be in the 2.3-2.6 range.

We’ve been looking for a single family home rental in VT for six months and its wild how little is available. It’s worse where I am now in northern DE, literally zero homes most of the time.

We found one in Canaan VT but it was snatched in like minutes

Edit: our current lease is up 8/1 lol

Sunny Side Up has issued a correction as of 14:43 on Jul 11, 2022

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Sunny Side Up posted:

We’ve been looking for a single family home rental in VT for six months and its wild how little is available. It’s worse where I am now in northern DE, literally zero homes most of the time.

It's the same here in western CT. We ended up in a different unit in the same apartment complex. It's because every modestly sized "normal" house that is move-in ready still costs north of $475.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

How did you imagine the right one worked?

like out towards the toilet. it never dawned on me that someone would intentionally install a series of cupboards under a sink that limit you to one open door or drawer at a time

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Crusty Nutsack posted:

once again failed by a lack of commitment. if theyd made the toilet lid slide over too this would be amazing

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Breakfast All Day posted:

once again failed by a lack of commitment. if theyd made the toilet lid slide over too this would be amazing

Barn garage door

Barn door fridge

Barn door washer/dryer

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Sunny Side Up posted:

yeah, all the LTRs in VT have been converted to AirBnbs. if you haven't tried it yet, a lot of stuff in vermont has moved from Craigslist to Front Porch Forum. you can create an account by just giving it a random street address in the town you're interested in and then post to ask for leads on rentals.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

it always surprises me how many properties are converted to AirBnBs in places that are NOT fancy destinations.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I live in a suburb of Kansas City where I would like to buy a house at some point and there are a TON of airbnbs there. I have no idea who would stay in one when visiting.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

Joementum posted:

yeah, all the LTRs in VT have been converted to AirBnbs. if you haven't tried it yet, a lot of stuff in vermont has moved from Craigslist to Front Porch Forum. you can create an account by just giving it a random street address in the town you're interested in and then post to ask for leads on rentals.

Thank you for this we’ll try it out.

How does this situation like work in a sustainable way? People are just immobilized until the whole thing crashes?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Sunny Side Up posted:

Thank you for this we’ll try it out.

How does this situation like work in a sustainable way? People are just immobilized until the whole thing crashes?

It's not working very well. Many locals aren't able to find places to live at prices that their wages can support. The ski resorts have always had some "dorms" for seasonal staff and now they and other businesses are branching out into family housing for their regular staff, so we're re-creating the company town. Burlington finally passed a law to crack down on AirBnBs that aren't owner-occupied, so we'll see if that has any effect in the state's only city, but it's a problem all over the state, especially near the resort and college towns.

The state's had a demographic problem for a long time and this is going to make it increasingly unsustainable as the landowners increasingly leave the workforce.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

the mean lunch lady posted:

I live in a suburb of Kansas City where I would like to buy a house at some point and there are a TON of airbnbs there. I have no idea who would stay in one when visiting.

If it's like my old neighborhood in Philly, they're mostly used as party houses and illegal clubs.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

actionjackson posted:

love to spent 4500/month to RENT a home that is in a completely car-dependent area where you don't even have sidewalks (notice picture lol)

https://www.startribune.com/upscale-rental-homes-catch-on-in-twin-cities-metro-area/600185458/

I get that there are some people for whom an arrangement like this could make sense, but I refuse to believe it's more than a tiny niche of people that have a combination of a lot of money and knowledge that they'll only be in the area for a short period of time. So like, executives that are on a rotation or athletes that need a local place to stay during the season. And I guess you could maybe add to that regular rich people that need a place to stay for a few months while selling their house and finding a new one, or something along those lines. Outside of that who wants to be dropping that much cash but still be renting?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

more dumb barn doors

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

more dumb barn doors

When you have 10k and decide to put a barn door on your shower instead of replacing your nasty rear end yellowing jetted corner tub

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

When you have 10k and decide to put a barn door on your shower instead of replacing your nasty rear end yellowing jetted corner tub

Probably a lot of cum stains in that thing that they want to save

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Don't care about barn doors, I just want a house.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

What about a barn?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

AnimeIsTrash posted:

same

I will just destroy any and all barn doors in said house if I actually get one

Apr 7, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Man those are probably some small bedrooms for 4bed2bath in 1400 sf

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I'd love to gentrify appalachia but Dolly P is already on that.

Apr 7, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Dolly sticks to gentrifying Tennessee. She's all about Pigeon Forge.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Pineville huh? Wyoming county has a pretty good combination Mexican / Pizza restaurant.

Edit: https://www.olejosegrillcantina.com

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

im not a bathroomologist but i don’t think sliding shower doors cost 10 grand, barn or not.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

The renovation those goofy barn door sliders were a part of was easily 10k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Drunkboxer posted:

im not a bathroomologist but i don’t think sliding shower doors cost 10 grand, barn or not.
:wrong: theres a house in my neighborhood that was sold for 650,000 two years ago. they slapped a new shiny gas oven in the kitchen and a barn door on the office off to the side of the livingroom and sold it for 1,075,000 a week ago.