Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

change my name posted:

I believe a bag of holding opens into a demiplane, not the actual astral plane itself; that's why there's nothing in the item description about rupturing if brought into other planes, only other items that do the same

Yeah I was thinking "extra-dimentional space" isn't necessarily a portal to another plane. It's a type of magic that distorts the amount of space that already exists. The Lady of Pain controls the space in Sigil too, but I don't think she would mind extra-dimensional spaces as much as personal portals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Bags of holding open into an "extradimensional space". According to Crawford, that's not another plane, so I guess it's not a demiplane?

Anyway, I don't see why they wouldn't work in Sigil... unless the mouth of the bag counts as a door...

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I’ve been given the chance to take one level as cleric with my Star Druid. I’ll probably end up grabbing two overall, but any advice on the following domains? Grave, Peace, and Twilight seem the best suited for lore and mechanic reasons.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I’ve been given the chance to take one level as cleric with my Star Druid. I’ll probably end up grabbing two overall, but any advice on the following domains? Grave, Peace, and Twilight seem the best suited for lore and mechanic reasons.

Twilight seems to me to be the best one, assuming you don't already have dark vision. The sleep spell can straight up end entire encounters.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Government Handjob posted:

It took nearly 40 sessions but we finally have a group name for our Candlekeep Mysteries party.

Zylfyr the Wizard: At this point I'm not even surprised a random book cursed us, it seems extremely on brand for this place.

Cumulus the Cleric (guest player): This sort of thing happens often, does it?

Hono the Druid: Yeah, all these extremely dangerous writings are supposed to be kept here for safekeeping and out of the wrong hands.

Kark the Fighter: and yet they always end up in our possession and poo poo goes sideways...
Guys. It's us. We're The Wrong Hands

Always great when your group manages to come up with a party name organically.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Twilight is far and away the strongest Cleric domain, for whatever that's worth. Just a solid front-loaded kit all around

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Sorry if this breaks the rules a bit much. But is there any good TTRPG system for Elder Scrolls in general? Kinda want to homebrew an adventure in Yokuda. If there is no good system I might just stick to 5th edition.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Rutibex posted:

Twilight seems to me to be the best one, assuming you don't already have dark vision. The sleep spell can straight up end entire encounters.

I don't, as an aarakocra, but the others do. My issue with Twilight is the proficiency in martial and heavy armor is wholly wasted on me. The other things sound useful and handy.

Peace domain is all around useful it feels, but the flavor is slightly less compatible.

I've struck out grave from the running.

Being lvl 4, I think I'll take one more level in druid before considering it, also allowing the narrative room to build into it.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Twilight domain is just really strong overall, and don't discount the heavy armor prof: you might be able to find wood or dragon scale armor later down the line

(Also, is there anything RAW in 5th edition about druids not being able to wear metal armor? When I played a star druid, my character's backstory was that he was a former disgruntled wizard who joined this learned college of the stars to help safeguard knowledge of and for the future. I don't think he or his enclave would have given two shits if the opportunity ever came up to wear metal armor)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

change my name posted:

Twilight domain is just really strong overall, and don't discount the heavy armor prof: you might be able to find wood or dragon scale armor later down the line

(Also, is there anything RAW in 5th edition about druids not being able to wear metal armor? When I played a star druid, my character's backstory was that he was a former disgruntled wizard who joined this learned college of the stars to help safeguard knowledge of and for the future. I don't think he or his enclave would have given two shits if the opportunity ever came up to wear metal armor)

He is an aarakocra, they can't fly in heavy armor.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Oops!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Obviously the solution is to go ahead and wear the heavy armor and just nude up every time you want to fly.

Also always fly. Naked.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cthulu Carl posted:

Obviously the solution is to go ahead and wear the heavy armor and just nude up every time you want to fly.

Also always fly. Naked.

It is a bird, it's not like you'd see anything.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

100YrsofAttitude posted:

All the more reason to.

Donald Duck the heavy armor and strip down at the slightest excuse.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Just finished DMing the Tides of Retribution quest in Wildemount. My players threw me a curve ball by wanting to vet the person who is going to be purchasing the Rod of Retribution to make sure it is never used for evil purposes again. So now I need to come up with a legitimate buyer who would purchase rare and dangerous artifacts through Revelry pirates.

red plastic cup
Apr 25, 2012

Reach WITH IN To your LOCAL cup and you may find A Friend And Boy...

Nessa posted:

Just finished DMing the Tides of Retribution quest in Wildemount. My players threw me a curve ball by wanting to vet the person who is going to be purchasing the Rod of Retribution to make sure it is never used for evil purposes again. So now I need to come up with a legitimate buyer who would purchase rare and dangerous artifacts through Revelry pirates.

IIRC the Rod is Sahuagin-made, so maybe someone who studies Sahuagin. They begrudgingly work with the Revelry because the pirates naturally have a lot of interaction with Sahuagin (or at least more than most people). Another option would be someone from the Cobalt Soul who keeps an eye out for powerful and/or dangerous items the Revelry recovers and buys them in order to keep them out of the wrong hands.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah the Cobalt Soul would be someone who would legitimately be a group who would want to catalogue and protect powerful artifacts, who "mostly" are good guys.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

First Part of Spelljammer Academy is out anyone who wants it can claim it.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/claim/source/spelljammer-academy

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Apparently playtest for 5.5. have begun? Anyone look at it?

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

MonsieurChoc posted:

I did not know about that any details?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

MonsieurChoc posted:

Where did you hear about that?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Someone posted about it on the System Mastery discord.

Tinker on the discord posted:

Here are the Level Up A5e rules. The online tools are currently in an open-beta in which they haven't yet made accounts for so anyone can read them. There are currently a few errors (the Back to Back maneuver, for instance, says it is an action rather than a bonus action) but most of what's on here is correct.
Link leads to the "Adventuring Classes" page in which "Marshal" is their name for Warlord. For anyone who's stuck in a 5e game it's not quite as elegant as the AEDU of 4th edition but it makes for an interesting class at 5e scaling (that is, a 5th level character being about as cool as a 4e 2nd level character).
My group has been playing these classes in a normal 5e game (Descent into Inverness) for about 3 months now and haven't noticed any major imbalances aside from a few maneuvers that are just better than other maneuvers.
The core A5e rules also have a more advanced journeying system because people have asked for that, but my group has not interacted with it since we're playing an official adventure with a DM who knows nothing about our rules. So can't comment on that. Check it out while the webtool's in open beta if you want!
https://a5e.tools/rules/adventuring-classes

Unless I'm misremembering what Level Up A5e is and it's a fan thing?

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

MonsieurChoc posted:

Someone posted about it on the System Mastery discord.

Unless I'm misremembering what Level Up A5e is and it's a fan thing?

Level Up was made by the Owner of EN world. It's not quite a fan thing as there is professional work behind it, but it's not official.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

change my name posted:

I mean it is right in the class description...Druids won't wear metal armor. Not that they can't. So theoretically a druid could be forced into metal armor against their will and they'd suffer no penalty for using it....but by raw a druid will never choose to don metal armor

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Madmarker posted:

I mean it is right in the class description...Druids won't wear metal armor. Not that they can't. So theoretically a druid could be forced into metal armor against their will and they'd suffer no penalty for using it....but by raw a druid will never choose to don metal armor

New concept: a druid who wears plate armor but they have to get knocked out before every battle and wake up inside of it

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Yusin posted:

Level Up was made by the Owner of EN world. It's not quite a fan thing as there is professional work behind it, but it's not official.

Well then never mind hyaha.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's actually cannon that Aarakocra have enormous genitals.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well then never mind hyaha.

Well thank goodness it was just the Discord's misinformation instead of just me being wrong for once.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

change my name posted:

New concept: a druid who wears plate armor but they have to get knocked out before every battle and wake up inside of it

Name: B.A. Baracus.

Honestly, just forget about that and play a Warforged druid.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Narsham posted:

"See, Druids won't wear metal armor, it doesn't say anything about BEING metal armor!"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KingKalamari posted:

"See, Druids won't wear metal armor, it doesn't say anything about BEING metal armor!"

In 3e it did:

IRONWOOD BODY [WARFORGED]
Your body is crafted with a layer of hard ironwood that
cushions blows.
Prerequisites: Warforged, 1st level only.
Benefit: Your armor bonus increases to +3 and you
gain damage reduction 2/slashing. You are considered
to be wearing light armor, and have a +4 maximum
Dexterity bonus to AC, a –3 penalty on all skill checks
to which armor check penalties apply (Balance, Climb,
Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Sleight of
Hand, Swim, and Tumble), and an arcane spell failure
chance of 20%.
Normal: Without this feat, your warforged character
has an armor bonus of +2.
Special: Unlike most feats, this feat must be taken
at 1st level during character creation. A warforged with
this feat who then takes Improved Damage Reduction (see page 55 of the EBERRON Campaign Setting)
can choose to gain damage reduction 1/adamantine
or improve the damage reduction granted by this
feat by 2. Unlike the Adamantine Body and Mithral
Body feats, warforged druids who take this feat can
cast druid spells and use the druid’s supernatural and
spell-like abilities.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Warforged aren't just robots anyhow, they're not entirely made of or coated in metal. They're a mix of wood, stone, and metal that varies from individual to individual. If we were judging druid accessibility by the presence of some metal in the body, humans wouldn't qualify either, we're 2.5% metal!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

red plastic cup posted:

IIRC the Rod is Sahuagin-made, so maybe someone who studies Sahuagin. They begrudgingly work with the Revelry because the pirates naturally have a lot of interaction with Sahuagin (or at least more than most people). Another option would be someone from the Cobalt Soul who keeps an eye out for powerful and/or dangerous items the Revelry recovers and buys them in order to keep them out of the wrong hands.

Ooooh, Cobalt Soul is a good idea! Yeah, I think I’ll go with that! Thanks for the suggestion!

I’m excited to get the party started on my treasure hunt quest and the lead to the hook will be in Darktow.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My party looted an Efreeti bottle with a 10% chance of granting three wishes! :swoon:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Narsham posted:

There's a warforged moon druid in my current ToA game and she's basically a Beast Wars transformer, it rules

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

change my name posted:

There's a warforged moon druid in my current ToA game and she's basically a Beast Wars transformer, it rules

I had this idea as well but for like my Steel Defender in a campaign I'm in. Since the description specifies I choose the appearance and its purely aesthetic and doesn't change its size my DM let me RP my Steel Defender as being able to transform between a (wingless) Dragon mode and a humanoid mode.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Warforged own.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Raenir Salazar posted:

My party looted an Efreeti bottle with a 10% chance of granting three wishes! :swoon:

Just be prepared to throw down if it's not friendly. Or banish it, I suppose

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Mr. Lobe posted:

Just be prepared to throw down if it's not friendly. Or banish it, I suppose

The plan is to open it in the next boss fight. So either we can (a) win the fight instantly (b) have an ally (c) have to face an add. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Arivia posted:

In 3e it did:

IRONWOOD BODY [WARFORGED]
Your body is crafted with a layer of hard ironwood that
cushions blows.
Prerequisites: Warforged, 1st level only.
Benefit: Your armor bonus increases to +3 and you
gain damage reduction 2/slashing. You are considered
to be wearing light armor, and have a +4 maximum
Dexterity bonus to AC, a –3 penalty on all skill checks
to which armor check penalties apply (Balance, Climb,
Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Sleight of
Hand, Swim, and Tumble), and an arcane spell failure
chance of 20%.
Normal: Without this feat, your warforged character
has an armor bonus of +2.
Special: Unlike most feats, this feat must be taken
at 1st level during character creation. A warforged with
this feat who then takes Improved Damage Reduction (see page 55 of the EBERRON Campaign Setting)
can choose to gain damage reduction 1/adamantine
or improve the damage reduction granted by this
feat by 2. Unlike the Adamantine Body and Mithral
Body feats, warforged druids who take this feat can
cast druid spells and use the druid’s supernatural and
spell-like abilities.

This actually got me curious enough to dig out my pdf of the AD&D Player's Handbook to see if the "Druids can't use metal armor" thing was always as arbitrary as it is today and...Yeah, pretty much. There's just a one sentence that says "metallic armor spoils their magical powers" but we're never given any sort of explanation as to why that's the case, what sort of design decision motivated this or what sort of thematic or literary thing it was meant to invoke. Just a one sentence restriction on the type of armor they can't wear that is somehow completely different from the existing armor restrictions of the Wizard?

I think I've brought it up in discussion before, but D&D has such a weird and nebulous idea as to how it wants its class mechanics to intersect the fiction of its settings. A lot of the basic classes, especially in the earliest editions, are designed to be very generic and at least somewhat removed from the fiction of the setting (Fighters and Wizards being the two biggest examples since, at they're core, they're just "Character who fights with weapons" and "Character who does magic") but then, as we moved into AD&D the new classes introduced start becoming VERY specific in how their mechanics interact with the assumed narrative of the setting and, just by their existence, introduce these weird bits of universal setting info that's always tied to their existence (Paladins have to be lawful good regardless of the deity they serve, to progress above a certain level Druids need to have a Highlander duel with a Druid of higher level than themselves).

And then we end up with a situation like that feat, that exists specifically to let a particular race get around an arbitrary restriction that was established two editions previously for no clear reason that none of the designers want to interrogate