Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

carnassials posted:

What's the etiquette for interview attire now? I'm planning on some in person interviews for Senior QA positions soon, and I lost my old suit to an ex. Would a crisp button down and dress pants and shoes pull it off? I feel like thats a solid match for what people in QA wear during FDA audits and fresher than a suit, but maybe interviews are still considered more formal.

I can def grab a suit between now and then, but not some perfectly tailored outfit.

CarForumPoster posted:

I like to be "one step nicer than the person making the decision"

This has always been my rule of thumb when it comes to interview attire.

In my experience, what part of the country matters more than a lot of things even inside the same org. My last org had multiple large offices across the country, and there was a big difference in how people dressed day to day between East Coast, West Coast, Austin etc.

East coast was more formal than the west coast for sure. East coast was mostly slacks/khaki's and collared shirts. West coast was mostly jeans and t-shirts/polo shirts. Austin was a free for all with most developers wearing tshirts/shorts/birkenstocks. I never went to our Chicago area office, but I'm just guessing it would be more east coast than west coast there.

Definitely don't be afraid to ask the recruiter though on what dress code is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

sure - i'm telling you not to count on that.

Seens you were right to tell me not to get my hopes up.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Phew, they got back to me today. My interview is for tomorrow.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Covok posted:

Phew, they got back to me today. My interview is for tomorrow.

You can do it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Good luck! Just keep in mind that the hiring org will have a million other priorities so don't get too stressed out and start bugging them excessively if you don't hear from them.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

blackmet posted:

2nd interview was just with the director. I think it went well. We got along, he asked questions I had answers to.

Now, we wait.

Annnnd... declined. For the god-knows-how-many-th time. For every position I try for.

The manager offered to schedule feedback with me, but...gently caress. I don't know that I need to hear another version of "you were fine, someone else was better." She sent it as I was leaving today. I'll decide that tomorrow.

The thing is...I get exceeded expectations reviews. I fill in for management, (but I think full time people management would drain the gently caress out of me). I have run projects to completion. I have a pretty good depth of fraud, operations, client service, training, and risk analysis experience. I'm not the world's greatest interview, but I can do the jobs I put in for. I feel like there's some politics or blackballing going on behind the scenes, but I can't prove it.

Eh, whatever. We put in an offer for a house and it was accepted. I'm going to wait for that to go through and for the move to finish, then go from there.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Your should absolutely take the opportunity for internal feedback like that. Even if it's BS it'll yeah you the language they want to hear.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I really flubbed that second interview. I prepared as best I could. I reached out to an old colleague who does auditing and asked if he knew anything about being a comptroller. He said he had audited some local governments and went over some things with me. I wore a clean suit and nice tie. I printed 5 copies of my resume on resume paper and brought it in a booklet. I arrived 15 minutes early.

Then the problems started. I was being led to the room for the interview. There are two ways from the lobby so I just assumed I was being led to the same room as last time and went there. I was quickly told that I was actually meeting in the mayor's office.

Then, when I was there, I shook the mayor's hand. He asked me to go over my job history. I did. I tried to relate it back to this work. Then he went over the hours of the job and what it'd entail. Then he asked me some technical questions. I got the first one half right. Unfortunately, banding comes up so rarely in the private sector that I wasn't familiar. The second one on capital funding vs general funding I got right. The third one on mortgage taxes and something else I don't remember I got right, but I was a little shaky on mortgage taxes as I only deal with the other side of them usually. Then, he asked me about fund balancing. And I mistook it for fund budgeting. He corrected me. I then tied it back to what I did at my current job, but I'm sure the damage was done.

Then, he asked if I had any question, and I just said that I was interested in job because I wanted to help the local community and I brought up a story of how I helped a person who was a victim of unlawful discrimination avoid a lot of negative repercussions and I said that helping people like that is something I only get to rarely and, while I understand I'll be overseeing the accounts of the village (I accidentally said city but quickly corrected myself), I want to help give back to the local community by knowing I'm doing my part and that I find that more appealing than staying in the corporate sector.

He literally said nothing in response, which is an awful sign.

They said they had more interviews to do and they'd be back with me soon. When I shook the mayor's hand, I told him I was also a giant's fan, mentioning I had read his bio. He said "good man." I turned to leave, the assistant said it's been a rough couple years, in regards to the giants. I said it would turn around while waving goodbye.

The second I was out of eye and ear shot, I slumped. I knew I flubbed this thing bad. The whole interview was maybe 10, 15 minutes. The first one was an hour or so. The guy probably just wanted me out of the office. The only nice thing was one of the people complimented my jacket on the way out.

Sigh, I really wanted the job too. I really liked the idea of working in local government and knowing my work was actually helping people instead of making a few people rich.

Edit: The whole time, I was probably way too nervous. Wearing the suit in 90 degree weather had me a bit sweaty but my dark suit jacket kind of hide it for me. And I kept saying "this is how it is in corporate, if it's different in government, then correct but that thing should be..." and then gave my answer. Which was stupid of me. I also probably shouldn't have told them that I reached out to my auditor friends and asked if they had worked on local government audits and had them go over what they say are things I should know. How I should be familiar with most things from working on corporations, how GASB isn't too hard to learn if you are already familar with GAAP, and how I should brush up on my fund accounting.

Covok fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 13, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You botched the one question sure, but the rest of that is you being waaaaaay too hard on yourself and beating yourself up over the one mistake you made.

If the interview was perfunctory then most likely they already knew who they were hiring before the job was posted and they're fulfilling theatrical requirements.

It sucks not getting a job you really wanted but you've got to learn from the experience and stay positive going forward.

And while I agree based on your post it's unlikely, you may be too pessimistic here and you don't yet know for certain they won't call you back.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

You botched the one question sure, but the rest of that is you being waaaaaay too hard on yourself and beating yourself up over the one mistake you made.

If the interview was perfunctory then most likely they already knew who they were hiring before the job was posted and they're fulfilling theatrical requirements.

It sucks not getting a job you really wanted but you've got to learn from the experience and stay positive going forward.

And while I agree based on your post it's unlikely, you may be too pessimistic here and you don't yet know for certain they won't call you back.

You might be right, but what kills me is I knew what Fund Balances were too. I just got nervous and misheard him. It's just how funds have income that is to be specifically assigned and can't be reassigned, some of it free, and some of it can be used only with proper clearance from upper management. It's very basic. Ugh.

But, yeah, I need to stay positive. I guess Kyoon Griffin Jr was right though. While saying how civic minded I was made the last interviewer, the head treasurer smile, it really didn't mean spit to the mayor who clearly didn't like it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I agree I think you're probably being too hard on yourself, but one note is to have a question when you're asked "Do you have any questions", it sounds like instead you told a story. I get why you'd want to get that out, but that comes off a little like you weren't really engaging and instead just trying to spew stuff. A good story is great but if it doesn't come up naturally don't try to shoehorn (unless that story is "I am married to your niece" or something).

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lockback posted:

I agree I think you're probably being too hard on yourself, but one note is to have a question when you're asked "Do you have any questions", it sounds like instead you told a story. I get why you'd want to get that out, but that comes off a little like you weren't really engaging and instead just trying to spew stuff. A good story is great but if it doesn't come up naturally don't try to shoehorn (unless that story is "I am married to your niece" or something).

You're right. I absolutely loving screwed that one up. I was afraid not to get it out. My actual main questions were answered in the last interview where I already asked a lot about the ins and outs of the job and I didn't have much of a follow up. I was also hella nervous.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I mean, that's a super common thing so I would be surprised if it was enough to tip one way or another, but something to kinda remember going forward.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Even hearing your anxious brain version of the story that interview doesn’t sound particularly bad. I’ve landed offers with flubbing worse than that. If you don’t here, you’ll find the right thing eventually and now have more practice.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Covok I get the impression from your post that you're the kind of person that can't stop talking when you're nervous. It's a super common thing (as any interviewer can attest) but if this is the case, it's definitely something you should be aware of and take steps to get under control. It's really -EV in many situations, not just interviewing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Covok posted:

You're right. I absolutely loving screwed that one up. I was afraid not to get it out. My actual main questions were answered in the last interview where I already asked a lot about the ins and outs of the job and I didn't have much of a follow up. I was also hella nervous.

so heres the deal: you can ask the same questions of multiple people, especially if they are related to people's opinions eg "what are the critical drivers of success in this role?"

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Two takeaways for the future:

1) Prepare. You knew this was public sector, an area you know relatively little about, and yet you don't seem to have actually prepared. "It works like this in the private sector, IDK about public" is going to sound pretty bad after a while. Research and prepare. Even if you can say "It works like this in the private sector, as you know I don't have direct experience with public sector but based on my research it works in a very similar way" that's a lot better answer.
2) Ask questions. Put some decent gimmes in the bag (the one above is free) and trot them out when people ask if you have questions.

I'm also left with the distinct question of how you helped the victim of unlawful discrimination is relevant to why you want this job. I think someone who is very good at storytelling and spin could pull it off, but I don't think that's a strength of yours. Narrative should be focused and sharp and connect to why you would be GOOD at the job, not just why it's relevant to you.

edit: also anyone who says they feel actually really good about an interview is lying

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 13, 2022

Covok
May 27, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

so heres the deal: you can ask the same questions of multiple people, especially if they are related to people's opinions eg "what are the critical drivers of success in this role?"

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Two takeaways for the future:

1) Prepare. You knew this was public sector, an area you know relatively little about, and yet you don't seem to have actually prepared. "It works like this in the private sector, IDK about public" is going to sound pretty bad after a while. Research and prepare. Even if you can say "It works like this in the private sector, as you know I don't have direct experience with public sector but based on my research it works in a very similar way" that's a lot better answer.
2) Ask questions. Put some decent gimmes in the bag (the one above is free) and trot them out when people ask if you have questions.

I'm also left with the distinct question of how you helped the victim of unlawful discrimination is relevant to why you want this job. I think someone who is very good at storytelling and spin could pull it off, but I don't think that's a strength of yours. Narrative should be focused and sharp and connect to why you would be GOOD at the job, not just why it's relevant to you.

1) As I mentioned, I did ask some friends who were auditors who worked on local governments. It was just that they didn't bring up the stuff that the interviewer questioned. I basically was prepared to discus stuff related to the utilities and property taxes we discussed in the first round interview. I asked about things I should know about GASB and the like. I guess I prepared for the wrong things. You are right about that issue. Turns out they were the same in both sectors. So, maybe I shouldn't have said anything.
2) I do need to ask more questions. I got no come back to that. Maybe the following:
  • What is the work culture like?
  • What would you say is the most important thing to know if I were to get this job?
  • What is the best skill to develop if I were to get this job?

Covok
May 27, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I did have a way to tie this into the job. I said that I was interested in the job because I wanted to feel like I was serving my local. I brought this up as an example of the few times my job let me help someone who really needed help: she was in her 60s, had cancer, came from a low income family, lost her job due to discrimination, and was it was looking she was going to have all her social security clawed back because her lawsuit winning triggered social security to think she had worked and made that money, when it was actually back pay and shouldn't trigger clawback. I loved being able to help. I wanted to work in this government role because I wanted to be able to help people like that. While I know not what a comptroller directly does, know that my job helps keep the roads paved, the water flowing, the electricity on, etc. is what makes me want this job. The feeling that what I do matters to real people and not just helping already well-to-do-people save a little money.

Frankly, I think I did a better job explaining it here than I did in the interview.

Edit: I feel a little better. I just did a job interview with another company that was a bit impromtu by their internal recruiting department and it went well.

Covok fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 13, 2022

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

I need some resume advice. I’ve been working in healthcare since 2009 but my spine has decided I’m no longer going to be doing that-using COVID as a reason for the career change on interviews because lol at disclosing a disability. I am currently looking for an admin job. What looks better?

Healthcare company #1 2017-2021
Self-employed healthcare contractor 2014-2017
Healthcare company #2 2009-2014
or
Self-employed healthcare contractor 2009-2017
Non-healthcare job as Production Assistant 2006-2009

Company #2 was contract/per diem work too but I was with that company for a long time. Is it better to leave off the older job because it’s been more than 10 years or leave it in because it’s relevant to the type of work I’m looking for? I’m emphasizing admin stuff in the job descriptions and list of skills.

Also there’s a lot of conflicting opinions on whether or not to have an objective on your resume. Kinda thinking it would help due to the career change and I haven’t had the Admin Asst title in like 20 years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's not horrible when you lay it out but I still think it's disjointed. You can significantly clarify that narrative by leaving out the frankly tangential story and just say: I like living in a well-functioning community that has good, cost effective services and I'm excited that my work as a comptroller would enable that for people. I would get a great sense of personal satisfaction from using my skills in managing budgets and money to keep the roads in good repair, electricity functioning, and water flowing. I get that the story is very important to you, personally, but it is not important to me, professionally, when I put on my "mayor hiring a village comptroller" hat.

In future with questions "In my experience X, Y, Z" because like, what else do you have to go on? Or "In my experience X, Y, Z, but I know since the public sector can be a little different I would consult with / refer to (idk some relevant tax poo poo? / with public auditor friends, etc)" which shows you can recognize and solve your own problems.

I prefer somewhat more targeted questions - what does success look like, what do you want to achieve or do that my role supports or enables, what are the priority areas, etc. Ask questions about the job, not yourself as a candidate - I hate the "what skills should I develop" question in particular. I don't love "tell me about the culture" because you get bullshit answers. Better to find that out through more targeted questions - how are decisions made, who sets direction for my group, what do you like most about the job and your colleagues, etc.

edit: you got this, seriously. practice makes perfect or at least solid enough to get the job.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Handsome Ralph posted:

Welp, I didn't get the job at fruit loops.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UlXcoVHnog

Had three interviews for the final round, but I think one of those interviews was the one that did me in. Interviewer was clearly distracted and was responding to messages/emails during the interview which was pretty rude. Also they cut me off to tell me I didn't quite understand the job posting, which was odd because I was essentially repeating verbatim what the hiring manager and their director had described the role as being :confused:

Oh well, chalking it up as experience going forward. On to the next one.

So here I am, nine months later, and still in my old position. I stopped applying to stuff for a bit so my wife and I could travel, and then submitted a handful of applications over the last six months with little to show for it. I kinda figured that since my current role was now full time remote, I'd just stick with it till I found something better or the company that bought my company last year decided to lay everyone off work with severance packages.

Anyways, I kept an eye on the company that I got far along with in the interview process in case something else popped up. Low and behold, a very similar posting comes up last month so I go ahead and apply for it, and then proceed to forget about it.

I got an email for a phone screening with a different recruiter last week, but temper my expectations because there was no point getting excited for a screening interview. Anyways, that screening was today and it wasn't even a screening at this point. The recruiter didn't even bother asking me why I'm looking for a new gig or to go over my resume with him. He tells me flat out "I'll be blunt with you, the hiring manager and their team really like your resume and think you would be a very solid fit. My goal is just to make sure your salary expectations are in line with ours, that you're okay with a possible hybrid schedule (2 days a month in office at most and even that is unlikely according to him), and to schedule you for an interview with the hiring manager."

Eventually the recruiter tells me who I'm meeting with next, and it's the same hiring manager from the last go around. :stare:

They were pitching me this time instead of the other way around. Still gonna go into the next interview like I would for any other, but I am definitely feeling very optimistic right now.

I guess my question for the thread is, how should I approach the interview with the hiring manager?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Wear a fake mustache and speak in a British accent.

Or just let them make the first move and go with how they're playing it, ignore it if they ignore it, etc. If you are asked, "This role looks like a much better fit for me for [reasons]."

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

As a hiring manager I'd certainly prefer a candidate disclose we interviewed before upfront, but I don't know if that'd help more or not. I feel like if I realized partway through we've talked before it'd feel kinda shady.

Keep in mind, a hiring manager interviews far more than a candidate does, so they are less likely to remember. Though if you went that far they probably will.

moana posted:

If you are asked, "This role looks like a much better fit for me for [reasons]."

Yeah, have an answer loaded up and also, wouldn't you know it?, the last 9 months I got a lot of experience in (relevant skills for new job).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Flora Finching posted:

I need some resume advice. I’ve been working in healthcare since 2009 but my spine has decided I’m no longer going to be doing that-using COVID as a reason for the career change on interviews because lol at disclosing a disability. I am currently looking for an admin job. What looks better?

Self-employed healthcare contractor 2014-2017
Healthcare company #2 2009-2014
or
Self-employed healthcare contractor 2009-2017
Non-healthcare job as Production Assistant 2006-2009

Company #2 was contract/per diem work too but I was with that company for a long time. Is it better to leave off the older job because it’s been more than 10 years or leave it in because it’s relevant to the type of work I’m looking for? I’m emphasizing admin stuff in the job descriptions and list of skills.

Also there’s a lot of conflicting opinions on whether or not to have an objective on your resume. Kinda thinking it would help due to the career change and I haven’t had the Admin Asst title in like 20 years.

An objective can be good when you are struggling to tell a narrative in your resume, it's better to not have one and let the experience and skills talk for themselves. In your case I think it'd help, but it shouldn't be more than 2 lines or so.

I don't think either option you listed matters, but I'd keep the admin asst job on there if you only have 3 roles.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Lockback posted:

As a hiring manager I'd certainly prefer a candidate disclose we interviewed before upfront, but I don't know if that'd help more or not. I feel like if I realized partway through we've talked before it'd feel kinda shady.

Keep in mind, a hiring manager interviews far more than a candidate does, so they are less likely to remember. Though if you went that far they probably will.

Yeah, have an answer loaded up and also, wouldn't you know it?, the last 9 months I got a lot of experience in (relevant skills for new job).

Yeah that sounds like a solid plan, thanks guys! I think I'll just open up the interview with some variation of "Nice to see you again!" and go from there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Lockback posted:

An objective can be good when you are struggling to tell a narrative in your resume, it's better to not have one and let the experience and skills talk for themselves. In your case I think it'd help, but it shouldn't be more than 2 lines or so.

I don't think either option you listed matters, but I'd keep the admin asst job on there if you only have 3 roles.

Cover letter is probably more useful to describe a narrative than an objective, but transitioning is probably the one situation where an objective might actually make sense.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Lockback posted:

Your should absolutely take the opportunity for internal feedback like that. Even if it's BS it'll yeah you the language they want to hear.

You were right.

She appreciated me doing it, as I was the only one who had.

Basically, I was in 2nd or 3rd out of 6 interviews, the guy they chose could hit the ground running faster. Get a certificate (it's not required, but it helps), improve slightly at my STAR responses and show more standout examples, try again.

I feel a bit better!

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

Thanks folks! I led my skills summary with job title which I think should do it. I haven't gotten an interview in weeks so I figured cleaning up my resume wouldn't hurt. It could just be that everyone in the city is on vacation though.

Handsome Ralph I can't stop thinking about the Twitter? saga where the guy was called to interview for the job he got fired from. I think he did wear a fake mustache.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Update: The hiring manager did not remember me from last time :lol: . When it came up (I disclosed it about five minutes into the interview), she was super apologetic about it, but said she was glad I said something. I told her not to worry because I have been in her shoes before and I would have a hard time picking out candidates I've interviewed from a lineup after a few months. She seemed pretty at ease once it was clear I wasn't upset that I wasn't remembered and seemed glad that I disclosed it. The interview went on for another 25 minutes, and she had ample opportunities to bail out, so I guess that's a good sign?

She reiterated at the end of the call that she was glad I said something, and was happy that I was giving them a second chance. I just said that I was happy with the process last time, and that it wasn't the first time I had been runner up in an interview only to get hired further down the road, so I figured it was worth taking another shot. She then told me she would be moving me onto the next step in the interview process which is the final interviews IIRC) and I'd hear back about scheduling those within the next few days.

So worst case scenario, this woman calls the recruiter and chews him a new one before throwing my app into the reject pile, while I get a funny story out of it. Best case scenario, as my friend put it, I get a job through the power of exploiting the shame of others.

Flora Finching posted:

Handsome Ralph I can't stop thinking about the Twitter? saga where the guy was called to interview for the job he got fired from. I think he did wear a fake mustache.

lol, oh god that one was funny.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think you made the right call on that, whatever the outcome is.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'm doing a resume for a friend of mine. she's just looking for some kind of wfh customer-service thing.

she's got credits at 3 different schools (including a prestigious art school) but didn't finish a degree.

include any or all of those details or just stick with the high school degree?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Empty Sandwich posted:

I'm doing a resume for a friend of mine. she's just looking for some kind of wfh customer-service thing.

she's got credits at 3 different schools (including a prestigious art school) but didn't finish a degree.

include any or all of those details or just stick with the high school degree?

Is she intending to finish college? Did she get an associates degree, can she?

Assuming no, prob leave it off unless it’s relevant to the job. (Eg it was engineering work and she’s a machinist)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

CarForumPoster posted:

Is she intending to finish college? Did she get an associates degree, can she?

Assuming no, prob leave it off unless it’s relevant to the job. (Eg it was engineering work and she’s a machinist)

she's not planning on it and it's unrelated anyway.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Empty Sandwich posted:

she's not planning on it and it's unrelated anyway.

Yea prob just leave it off.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I could go either way. A line that says "Studied art at University X, Y, Z" can give off the "Not a fuckup" vibe that is kinda important for most WFH CS roles. If the resume is otherwise light or fluffy that can be a good thing. If the resume is otherwise pretty good then I'd leave it off.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

on the other hand, not completing the degree can give unreliability vibes, especially if it's three different schools. I'd leave it off.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Weird thought, but should my resume mention that I am an Eagle Scout? I know it sounds silly, but that used to matter to some people. I doubt it matters anymore, but I used to have it on my resume and I am curious if anyone cares about that stuff anymore.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Covok posted:

Weird thought, but should my resume mention that I am an Eagle Scout? I know it sounds silly, but that used to matter to some people. I doubt it matters anymore, but I used to have it on my resume and I am curious if anyone cares about that stuff anymore.

This kind of thing where I think the reader might care but not enough to use up a line in my resume I might try to work it into my narrative in the cover letter. There would have to be a concrete reason why I thought the reader might care though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Covok posted:

It's nice to have on there if you're 18-23. Past that its probably not important or relevant (unless your applying for something where it would be, or you are highlighting continued volunteer work with the Scouts).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have an interview coming up with a German company opening a US office and both interviewers are German. I've scoped out their LinkedIn profiles and none of them have worked in US companies.

Not sure if I should adapt my interview style at all, anyone have experience interviewing with German senior management?

Edit: just to be clear, I understand that it will essentially be the same as any interview, and you adapt based on the person before you, just looking for some generalized tips.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 16, 2022