Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Steve Bannon is like a Nazi Grima Wormtongue.

Whoah whoah hey now.

Brad Dourif isn’t a conventionally attractive man, but we don’t have to be lovely. He’s kind of handsome in a haunted Lance Henrikson action figure kind of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr. Faustus posted:

Steve Bannon is like a Nazi Grima Wormtongue.

Steve Bannon is Snoke from the Star Wars sequel trilogy. A meth-faced man who built a fake empire off the backs of a bunch of young angry nerds who he molded into Nazis and was then blindsided by the very monster he raised and abused. Now he mainly exists in a pickle jar, a convenient meat puppet for even eviler bastards to occasionally trot out to gently caress with people with.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
So what are the odds we hear them all whine about the :airquote: perjury trap :airquote: the committee will have allegedly backed them into?

snorch fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 10, 2022

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

snorch posted:

So what are the odds we hear them trot out them all whine about the :airquote: perjury trap :airquote: the committee will have allegedly backed them into?

Tomorrow's contempt hearing is going to go poorly for Bannon. He's not going to testify before J6, and he has nothing to add that they don't already have corroboration for.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

mdemone posted:

Tomorrow's contempt hearing is going to go poorly for Bannon. He's not going to testify before J6, and he has nothing to add that they don't already have corroboration for.

Oh, he has stuff to add. I expect some of this planning and intent goes back to before even 2016. He’s just not going to. This is all about delay for him as he expects to eventually win so even when he appears to be honestly answering questions to save his own skin he will be inserting BS to waste time and resources.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Murgos posted:

Oh, he has stuff to add. I expect some of this planning and intent goes back to before even 2016. He’s just not going to. This is all about delay for him as he expects to eventually win so even when he appears to be honestly answering questions to save his own skin he will be inserting BS to waste time and resources.

He expects to be pardoned after the next election. He knows he can't win a real trial.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

He expects to be pardoned after the next election. He knows he can't win a real trial.

Yes, that’s what I meant. Not that he has a legal basis, just that he expects the end of the United States as he’s been working for.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Whoah whoah hey now.

Brad Dourif isn’t a conventionally attractive man, but we don’t have to be lovely.

Me, reporting you for lies:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Me, reporting you for lies:

I wouldn’t call that conventionally attractive, even if he makes it work.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

BiggerBoat posted:

getting one or two of them up there Benghazi hearings style and grilling them for 8 to 10 hours does have a certain appeal to it.
This is a fairly good reason for them not to do it live. Cippollone took 8.5hr, and with Bannon refusing to answer questions or wasting time trying to remember if he's about to commit perjury it might take 16hr. They're not going to air something that's mostly people checking notes, checking with lawyers, etc.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Glenn Kirschner addressed this Bannon issue today. He's painfully uncool but I suspect he is right:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFLFicWRBs8&t=238s

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 11, 2022

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Bannon has already talked to Trump and told him exactly what he is going to say/lie about. He convinced Trump and such. They would be a fool to do anything with him unless it's to get for perjury.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Madkal posted:

Bannon has already talked to Trump and told him exactly what he is going to say/lie about. He convinced Trump and such. They would be a fool to do anything with him unless it's to get for perjury.

This is actually fine as long as the committee follows it's process with 'as long as it takes' recorded depositions under oath by trained and experienced attorneys. It's exactly how you force out the truth because lying consistently across multiple depositions across several people from multiple angles cross checked against documents is hard. Especially when they don't know what documents you have and who else you've talked to that you are cross checking them against.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Not sure how many people listen to cleanup on Aisle 45 or the Daily Beans, but the podcaster AJ today said that she thinks Trump released that BS statement about releasing executive privilege (which isn't a thing) in an attempt to cure Trump's own legal problem of Obstruction of Congress or Obstruction of Justice, if he was previously telling people not to testify.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Cimber posted:

Not sure how many people listen to cleanup on Aisle 45 or the Daily Beans, but the podcaster AJ today said that she thinks Trump released that BS statement about releasing executive privilege (which isn't a thing) in an attempt to cure Trump's own legal problem of Obstruction of Congress or Obstruction of Justice, if he was previously telling people not to testify.

If team Trump is paying for lawyers for people appearing at the J6C and they are actually using their position to protect Trump by coordinating testimony and funneling confidential transcripts back so that daddy can see whose been bad and spank them if they get out of line (as shown at the end of the last session) is going to be way more compelling evidence of witness tampering and obstruction of justice then non-existent claims of executive privilege.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
DoJ to Bannon, "STFU and get in the court room": https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.dcd.237438/gov.uscourts.dcd.237438.105.0_1.pdf

quote:

According to public news reports, at midnight on July 10, 2022, the Defendant claimed to
the Select Committee that he would now be willing to testify before it.1
The Defendant’s lastminute efforts to testify, almost nine months after his default—he has still made no effort to
produce records—are irrelevant to whether he willfully refused to comply in October 2021 with
the Select Committee’s subpoena. Any evidence or argument relating to his eleventh-hour efforts
should, therefore, be excluded at trial.

The criminal contempt statute is not intended to procure
compliance; it is intended to punish past noncompliance.

the Defendant’s timing suggests that the only thing that has really changed since
he refused to comply with the subpoena in October 2021 is that he is finally about to face the
consequences of his decision to default.

Also this is good:

quote:

that the Defendant’s attorney misrepresented to the Committee what the former
President’s counsel had told the Defendant’s attorney; and that the former President’s counsel
made clear to the Defendant’s attorney that the letter provided no basis for total noncompliance.

Oh, dear. Mr Bannon's Attorney didn't you know that lying to congress is a crime?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/JordanOnRecord/status/1546552500333039621?s=20&t=VNhIdwiM48NkoYEvXQogWw

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Tomorrow’s hearing has been moved to 1 P.M. Eastern, which is good for all of us not in the Eastern Time Zone.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dr. Faustus posted:

We are all just speculating right now, none of us know exactly what Bannon is trying to do (though I think we are in the right ballpark for sure). Remember Oathkeeper leader Stewart Rhodes appears to be making the exact same play, saying he will testify but only if he can do it live because "they will edit my testimony to make me look guilty otherwise."
Bannon is the one who actually frightens me because he is so happy to go on his platform and flat-out call for violent fascist takeover and people like Rhodes are very much emboldened by his rhetoric. Bannon is the demagogue who is actually intelligent enough stay off the streets himself and play others into doing his dirty work.

The J6 Committee hasn't given me any reason to believe they would fall for any of this, and so far they haven't. Since they are framing everything in legal prosecutorial language I think they are savvy enough to navigate this bullshit.

the thing is, if the chuds had equel push on the comitte, he could actual do damge. instead he either sells trump out to save himself or lies/pleads the 5th a bunch and they can make just use him as a "well he lied about this and this and this" and such. if he fucks around, it doesn't change much, if he tells the truth then they have his word probably backed by other poo poo and he still gets hosed and jailed.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/hugolowell/status/1546490871423635456?s=20&t=z05BQoeJnV2GwY6zBs5aJQ

O poo poo

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

This forecloses basically all of Bannon's paths to claim this wasn't contempt, right?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fuschia tude posted:

This forecloses basically all of Bannon's paths to claim this wasn't contempt, right?

His only remaining defense is to argue that he good-faith believed his date could be extended.

Which he can't, because any number of public statements bely that.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Murgos posted:

The criminal contempt statute is not intended to procure
compliance; it is intended to punish past noncompliance.

This sounds like an extremely good and normal and relevant thing you always want to hear from a judge about the circumstances in which you currently find yourself.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I’ve read this a couple times and im curious how they’re going to pull that off.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

I’ve read this a couple times and im curious how they’re going to pull that off.

They have comms between PB/OK and the White House, through an intermediary. And they've flipped several of them.

But still I see what you mean. Whew....

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

FizFashizzle posted:

Perhaps some sort of collaborating information that indicted that Trump was going to signal to his followers with a tweet?

It’s a serious claim, and I would hope that they have some sort of proof - but it might difficult since Trump tends to eat his paper notes.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
It's going to be something real dumb like a first hand conversation of somebody telling trump "you can't tweet that, it will signal to far right militia groups that they should storm the capital on Jan 6 and you'll be implicated as the leader" and trump throws his big Mac at the wall while he hits the button

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Edward Mass posted:

Tomorrow’s hearing has been moved to 1 P.M. Eastern, which is good for all of us not in the Eastern Time Zone.
Aww now I can't watch it. :(

I'll have to try to catch up Wednesday.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ringo Star Get posted:

Perhaps some sort of collaborating information that indicted that Trump was going to signal to his followers with a tweet?

It’s a serious claim, and I would hope that they have some sort of proof - but it might difficult since Trump tends to eat his paper notes.

They've always been able to provide enough corroborating evidence before that lawyers are going, "Yep, that's what that shows alright" so far so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Murgos posted:

They've always been able to provide enough corroborating evidence before that lawyers are going, "Yep, that's what that shows alright" so far so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Federal prosecutors, man, who knew

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Ha.

Basically they just said "What we know now isn't going to be helped by anything you can provide us at this point. You had your chance, you told us to go gently caress ourselves, so now we get to tell to suck it. Bubye."

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

FizFashizzle posted:

Unless the witness is someone close to Trump who can speak to his state of mind idk how either.

Speaking of which, do we know who the witness is yet?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Unless the witness is someone close to Trump who can speak to his state of mind idk how either.

Imagine if it’s Barron. Or Eric.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If it was a conspiracy, then texts from the other parties to the conspiracy would do it.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ringo Star Get posted:

Imagine if it’s Barron. Or Eric.

We know that meeting was "Team Crazy" which was Sydney Powell, Giuliani, Flynn and 'other outside lawyers'. My guess is 'other outside lawyers' is going to be 80%-90% of it with the rest being comments from team crazy where they corroborate some part of it.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

From what I've read, they have not released the witness list yet.

On the 12th of December the Proud Boys had many marches in DC, and vandalized several churches. Bill Barr had resigned as Attorney's general on the 14th. Five days later, Trump made the referrenced tweet, saying "Statistically impossible to have lost the 2020 Election. Big protest in D.C. on January 6th. Be there, will be wild!" Apparently this was a signal to various groups to begin planning? I think thats the case the Jan 6th committee wants to make.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tayter Swift posted:

Neither did Hutchinson. As far as I know everyone who has testified so far is an irredeemable ghoul, except Lady Bird and her daughter. It's even run by ghouls apart from Mr. Thompson!

most of the dems involved are fine. its just Cheney and kingzinger who suck there.

Cimber posted:

Ha.

Basically they just said "What we know now isn't going to be helped by anything you can provide us at this point. You had your chance, you told us to go gently caress ourselves, so now we get to tell to suck it. Bubye."

exactly. he doesnt have dick to offer and others more trustworthy will provide.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
The committee has delivered thus far. They'd better have some ironclad poo poo to prove intent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'm gonna predict they have comms that say something like "this is what he said just now", or similar

Edit: don't talk to me about hearsay exceptions yet