Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

docbeard posted:

"Family" has enough emotional weight associated with it that there's a reason that people who have strained (or nonexistent) relationships with blood relatives tend to reserve that term for the people they're actually close to.

But this is Tiggum on the usual "everyone but me uses this word wrong" track which I guess is fair enough as a peeve

Recently my best friend's (adult) daughter wished me a happy father's day because she doesn't otherwise have a father figure in her life who's worth a drat. That was pretty cool.

My wife's dad's sister's male child calls me "dyadechka Edgar" or "ağa Edgar" all the time and I'm about to school him about how we aren't related, uncle and brother aren't even the same relationship, and he's using words wrong. I'm definitely not super happy and flattered he's that comfortable living with us to the point I get family words.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 01:50 on Jul 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I have friends who grew up in a place where it was definitely not okay to be gay, and they used to use "family" to refer to other homosexuals as code.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
is very cool and good to be prescriptivist most especially when it is telling people that their conception of their own family is officially wrong and incorrect lol

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

InediblePenguin posted:

is very cool and good to be prescriptivist most especially when it is telling people that their conception of their own family is officially wrong and incorrect lol

I'm getting annoyed about TV shows here, not controlling what words anyone uses in real life. I don't have that kind of influence.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Tiggum posted:

I'm getting annoyed about TV shows here, not controlling what words anyone uses in real life. I don't have that kind of influence.

Maybe TV shows normalizing the idea that the concept of "family" can be whatever you need it to be is actually cool and good and omg I'm arguing with tiggum

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Maybe TV shows normalizing the idea that the concept of "family" can be whatever you need it to be is actually cool and good and omg I'm arguing with tiggum

Do you know what a "pet peeve" is? Do you understand the thread you're posting in?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Tiggum posted:

Do you know what a "pet peeve" is? Do you understand the thread you're posting in?

Oh no, I completely understand, trust me on this

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Maybe as a cis het guy I'm way off the mark, but I've noticed this trend on mainstream TV where basically there's loads of gay teenage girls, and no gay teenage boys. The girls can get it together, have a smooch and we can all feel warm and fuzzy at their star crossed love, and then that's it, we've covered the 'gay' angle.

It feels really skeevy to me. At best, producers are saying 'no we can't have gay boys getting it on, audiences won't go for that', and at worst, 'hell yeah let's get some teenage girls makin' out, the guys will love it!'. It's probably a mixture of both.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

Maybe as a cis het guy I'm way off the mark, but I've noticed this trend on mainstream TV where basically there's loads of gay teenage girls, and no gay teenage boys. The girls can get it together, have a smooch and we can all feel warm and fuzzy at their star crossed love, and then that's it, we've covered the 'gay' angle.

It feels really skeevy to me. At best, producers are saying 'no we can't have gay boys getting it on, audiences won't go for that', and at worst, 'hell yeah let's get some teenage girls makin' out, the guys will love it!'. It's probably a mixture of both.

Not just teenagers either. The token gay couple among a group of adults on TV is almost always women as well.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

That's been a well-documented phenomenon for a long, long time; you're not off the mark. And you are right that it is mainly driven by homophobic men playing to homophobic audiences using the rationale "boys kissing is gross, girls kissing is hot." It was a huge thing in the 00s and early 10s, and definitely hasn't completely gone away yet.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You are correct but you should watch the chucky show. The main character Jake is gay teen and he and another boy fall in love. The show kicks a lot of rear end and not only does it continue the great franchise but it stands on its own as something special too.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

When a movie or TV show transitions to a space scene and suddenly the lens is covered in dust to sell how real it is despite being 100% cgi.

Can you imagine an interior scene with actors where the lens is that filthy? It takes me right out of it.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

The pettiest of peeves:
When the blanket cover separates from the blanket and it's all just an annoying, tangly mess.

When you walk outside and can feel that ah, yes, you walked through 1-2 threads of a spiderweb.
(Spiders loving love spiderwebbing up my exterior entry hallway, and across the walkway between some bushes and the garage.)

Also I have to do some expensive dental poo poo because back when I was 18-20 the dentists just went 'naaah just wait and see', so instead of getting wisdom teeth removed and some teeth fixed for free/cheap, I'll have to pay out of pocket now.
God, why the gently caress is dental care not health care? (:norway:)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

SubNat posted:

God, why the gently caress is dental care not health care? (:norway:)
Luxury bones

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
It's a two for one. It addresses the dumb family or not family discussion and my peeve for people using only part of a phrase to meet their own need.

"Blood is thicker than water" people believe that it means that family relationships are the most important. The actual phrase means the opposite "the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb". The relationships that we forge in life are more important than those that we happen to be born into.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
That's made up btw - "Blood is thicker than water" is centuries older than any evidence of the "real, original" phrase

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

SubNat posted:

When you walk outside and can feel that ah, yes, you walked through 1-2 threads of a spiderweb.
(Spiders loving love spiderwebbing up my exterior entry hallway, and across the walkway between some bushes and the garage.)

I always wondered if spiders just had someplace to get to in the morning and those lines were just like express transport? They don't seem to be part of an actual web so they're clearly temporary and they don't give a poo poo about them, the spiders are off somewhere else rolling bugs up in rear end silk and don't have time to cry over the two suspension lines you just got a little bit of in your mouth. If it were important, they'd probably learn not to build anything there, so clearly they give no shits.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

I always wondered if spiders just had someplace to get to in the morning and those lines were just like express transport? They don't seem to be part of an actual web so they're clearly temporary and they don't give a poo poo about them, the spiders are off somewhere else rolling bugs up in rear end silk and don't have time to cry over the two suspension lines you just got a little bit of in your mouth. If it were important, they'd probably learn not to build anything there, so clearly they give no shits.

Lots of species do use the single-threads as draglines. They toss it into the breeze and let the wind stick the other end onto something, then use it as a little fireman's pole for travel. It's not a part of a proper web.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

That's made up btw - "Blood is thicker than water" is centuries older than any evidence of the "real, original" phrase

OK, I see there is some debate about it. I will accept that and retract my peeve.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Family is only used in that context because the idea of close real-life friendship/community is alien to modern audiences hth

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's really sad that you think TV invented referring to close non-blood as family, Manager, but lmao gently caress off.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's really sad that you think TV invented referring to close non-blood as family, Manager, but lmao gently caress off.

I mean I'm right of course but I'm happy you could refrain from posting about your Russian wife long enough to say something about an unrelated subject

Well somewhat unrelated I guess

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It was actually invented by the Fast and the Furious franchise.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

lmao fight fight fight

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Henchman of Santa posted:

It was actually invented by the Fast and the Furious franchise.

Much like the blood is thicker than water thing, the Juggalos actually got there first :eng101:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Modern Family, a show which prominently featured a gay, married, male couple with an adopted daughter, to boot, didn't have the aforementioned gay couple kiss on-screen, on the lips, until, like, it's fifth season or something absurd.*

*Fake edit: Ok, not that far, but looked it up and it was like the last episode of the second season.

And back in 1999 Mission Hill featured Gus and Wally kissing, and...uhh...then some:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy9BC2IEQ1w

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

It's a two for one. It addresses the dumb family or not family discussion and my peeve for people using only part of a phrase to meet their own need.

"Blood is thicker than water" people believe that it means that family relationships are the most important. The actual phrase means the opposite "the blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb". The relationships that we forge in life are more important than those that we happen to be born into.

That 'actual phrase' was not the original, but a tumblr invention

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

"What is Google Drive?"

*900 links about what Google Drive might ostensibly be*

you fucker all i want to do is remove the photo of the inside of my pocket, even if i was a pocket enthusiast i could move that to c: on my own

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Too late. I already repented.

My pet peeve. People. All of them, everywhere.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Manager Hoyden posted:

I mean I'm right of course but I'm happy you could refrain from posting about your Russian wife long enough to say something about an unrelated subject

I meant "gently caress off" as a playful thing because we're both weirdos complaining on a message board in 2022, not an insult.

But if I left enough of an impression you can recall my wife- first I'm sorry, I don't dislike you or remember you at all really, second of all, gently caress off as an insult for using her instead of just calling me an rear end in a top hat. I'm a terrible person for talking about my life while considering my life partner an important part of it yeah, ok.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Tunicate posted:

"The blood of the covenant" is extremely tumblr sounding. Like a fandom person trying to write in an old-timey way.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Family, goddamn

They never actually come visit or even barely talk to me. I go down to see them every event, birthdays and so on, but they've only visited me for my birthday like, twice over 9 years.

I got a girlfriend last year and we've moved in together, my mum or dad haven't met her and constantly complain about it whenever they can. There's only so many times I can explain 'just come and visit me and you can see her'. I don't want to take her to the town I grew up in because it sucks except for a quite nice morissons they just opened.

We're going to have to see them for my Nephews Birthday and if they make any oh it's so nice to finally meet you jokes I'm going to scream

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wi-Fi is great because it enables you to use me, a device, anywhere, even while--did you just go upstairs? You idiot, where's the Wi-Fi? Same place as ever, I realize, but you're walking around like a crazy person I can't keep track! Restart the networks detector, please. No I don't know why that helps me, it just loving does okay!

Alright, now what's that speaker you were trying to wirelessly cast to? No, never heard of that one. Here's an unprotected one from the neighbors? No? I have never heard of this speaker dude how can I have played through it "just fine before"? gently caress you man

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Virgin media are causing absolute chaos putting in cables no one will use because of this absolute chaos. It’s obnoxious, they are shutting down half the road, putting in traffic lights and ripping up our freshly tarmaced pavement while not providing an alternative pathway and all so they themselves have massive amounts of space.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

It seems like every fifth tweet I stumble across and want to share is deleted in the 5 second duration it takes for me to copy the link and paste it into discord. It pops up on my feed perfectly fine, but doesn't embed on discord, so I'm stuck wondering if discord is having problems with embedding tweets again, only to try clicking through and finding out the tweet is gone.

It's always completely innocuous poo poo, too!

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

learnincurve posted:

Virgin media are causing absolute chaos putting in cables no one will use because of this absolute chaos. It’s obnoxious, they are shutting down half the road, putting in traffic lights and ripping up our freshly tarmaced pavement while not providing an alternative pathway and all so they themselves have massive amounts of space.

Underground fiber was put down all over the place here three years ago and fuckall uses it. All for the sake of parading around the amount we have. Fiber within 10 meters of my house but I can't get more than 12 mbps DSL.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Dip Viscous posted:

Underground fiber was put down all over the place here three years ago and fuckall uses it. All for the sake of parading around the amount we have. Fiber within 10 meters of my house but I can't get more than 12 mbps DSL.

Or you can, but only if you pony up like $35,000 for the telco to put in that last stretch of fiber.

Eat my rear end you fuckers.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Manager Hoyden posted:

Haha. Did I mention I have a Russian Wife? She's a flight attendant. I'm gonna work that in to about 70% of my posts!

I put that dude on ignore some time ago.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I have read one post where that guy was talking about his Russian wife who is a flight attendant but I don't see it happening so much that it warrants ignoring him. If I ignored people on this forum just because they repeat the same tired loving things over and over and over again in multiple threads in multiple forums, it'd be pretty lonely here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Sometimes that's all it takes. Goons are plentiful and cheap.