Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Yeah. /q looks like you went link dead so you can /q, wait 15 minutes until your group finds a replacement and then you're free to do something else. Or you can just make up a lie, go /anon and then go do something else "oh noooooo guys, I've got wife aggro, you know how it is, so sorry, need to drop". This explanation would've been more interesting if you had asked Oggwhomp what he meant.

The group I invited you to was a hole CE group maybe? It was okay, not great, but we needed a puller. I think I ended up pulling on the enchanter, which is workable but not great.

I'll probably be in hate to finish gearing mag/enc/clr/shm/war after raids tomorrow and Tuesday. Our crew doesn't need bard gear so I'll keep an eye out for you.

I'll ping you if I see you online sounds good dude..I never mind running around with people and singing songs of Crack and haste and I'm not really interested in rolling on anything but the gear.

I'm Waroduce#9069 on discord too

E: I've been camped in hate and I just post in planar and ooc for a group and I've had a boxer or 2 pick me up and just be like uh follow me I'm doing this poo poo just give me mannasong and I'm like word homie bet. Sometimes they let me pull though and I'm getting pretty confident in dead zones.

Only done fear once and the guild only let the monks pull hopefully I can get in on that too tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I know the mobs are era appropriate in TLP hate but do they use the revamped zone layout where its just the 1 floor?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

blatman posted:

I know the mobs are era appropriate in TLP hate but do they use the revamped zone layout where its just the 1 floor?

Pretty sure this is the case apart from like individual buildings yes

E: and there's a bunch of level 55 mobs there too though

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

that kinda owns, OG hate was a special kind of hell

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

The 55 mobs have really short leashes and small aggro ranges. They're also not that hard to kill, but they do have a ton of life, hard to mez, hard to slow, etc.

Guilds that don't let bards pull fear are cowards. Including my guild.

Waroduce posted:

E: I've been camped in hate and I just post in planar and ooc for a group and I've had a boxer or 2 pick me up and just be like uh follow me I'm doing this poo poo just give me mannasong and I'm like word homie bet. Sometimes they let me pull though and I'm getting pretty confident in dead zones.

Lull is great for making sure mobs you don't want don't come (particularly haunted chests). Charm is great for making sure another group doesn't snake your pulls. Selos means that you can leash it all (after charming the mob you want!) If something goes wrong. The bard I play with is basically never running mana song unless we need a med break because we got too ambitious.

Mana song, haste, etc is great, but don't ever let anyone tell you that this is the best a bard is good for. They're part of the holy Trinity of enc/shm/bard, one of the strongest classes when played right, and one of the few (3) classes that continues to get stronger as they level.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DisgracelandUSA posted:

The 55 mobs have really short leashes and small aggro ranges. They're also not that hard to kill, but they do have a ton of life, hard to mez, hard to slow, etc.

Lull is great for making sure mobs you don't want don't come (particularly haunted chests). Charm is great for making sure another group doesn't snake your pulls. Selos means that you can leash it all (after charming the mob you want!) If something goes wrong. The bard I play with is basically never running mana song unless we need a med break because we got too ambitious.

Mana song, haste, etc is great, but don't ever let anyone tell you that this is the best a bard is good for. They're part of the holy Trinity of enc/shm/bard, one of the strongest classes when played right, and one of the few (3) classes that continues to get stronger as they level.

My main character was a Necro for the longest time, and he was the king of soloing. Then I decided I wanted to get in groups so rolled a bard (Kunark time) and man, I never couldn't find a group again. I'd log on and immediately get /tells asking me to come all over. Bards were challenging to play (at least before /melody) but so goddam good at augmenting a group.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I almost always have mannasomg up as my rotation

My standard combat rotation is Restoration (how good is this heal actually??), clarity, verses of victory and some appropriate shield song idk I'm desperately fishing for planar gear before kunark but I've still only been playing for....2 weeks lmao.

I dual wield outside of raid content. Drums in raids.

I keep seelos on the bar

My other 3 songs are usually some mix of lull/charm/snare/attack slow.

I did juat get an mmo mouse but I gotta get some macros set up for sure 😅

E: I'm def learning the zone though I've done several lul/seelos vorpae runs out from the t2 area, I kinda know what leashes. I've taken a group deep into t2 without showeq or anything and gotten them out. I can tell the squad when we pick over where to move to leash the t2s that pop and smoothly operating as a group through 12 men is I think my happy place for sure. Very rewarding haha

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Man I remember when I was doing raid content I was literally swapping out instruments with my weapons mid fight to get the maximum benefit. I remember being blown away when I came back 10 years later to find instrument modifiers on Defiant armor

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I remember manually juggling like 5 mezzes when poo poo hit the fan. I was irrationally angry when they added /melody, even though it had been years since I played :v:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

I remember manually juggling like 5 mezzes when poo poo hit the fan. I was irrationally angry when they added /melody, even though it had been years since I played :v:

Haha my brother! It made my life so easy when I played again but it was training wheels for bad Bards haha

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Heal song is great if you have necros or shaman or a caster heavy group maybe. In a melee heavy group, haste, Mr/resist/ds will beat it out after haste/overhaste. Except between pulls, it's always great between pulls.

Melody is great but the strongest parts of bard come when you're not using melody or reacting to situations that are too complex for melody (like charming, mezzing multiple mobs, snaring to draw aggro to kite, etc). Melody is passive bard style which is the lower bound of bard power, similar to a shaman that never cannibalizes.

E: the real height of bard power is having enough macros to weave in one off songs that the situation calls for and picking up your melody where you left off while also swapping instruments for each song (before you have epic or instruments better than epic). This is the extreme though, so don't feel like a failure if you're not hitting this or not hitting it all the time.

Double E: since I have some time to kill... I was having a Convo with a friend the other night about impact to group. Basically, his contention was that while shaman, druid, etc make great pullers, and could even fill a much needed group role competently, the problem with that is that they aren't medding. And if they aren't medding, they are casting less spells. And if they're casting less spells, they're having less of an impact on the group.

As an extension, if you're casting spells, you can think about what impact the casting of your spells is having. If you have 2 wizards that are blowing everything up once it hits 60%, then shm/Necro dots aren't having much impact, better to nuke. And shm/enc slows aren't preventing much damage, better to heal, etc etc etc.

Optimization doesn't come from rote memorization of "rotations" or per mob contributions but doing the thing the group needs. On the bards case, it's easy to get to the number of actions / mob, and melody does that easily, but there's the question of how efficacious the songs you're singing are if you're just doing melody. That's where the bards versatility shines and where people should lean into the shaman mantra of "doing that which needs to be done."

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 10, 2022

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Sometimes being a high DPS class doesn't work out.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

DisgracelandUSA posted:

If any DT mobs are up I especially enjoy watching bards pull Fear.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Malaria posted:

Sometimes being a high DPS class doesn't work out.

Somebody has to eat the death touch, and you just became a tank, GG.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
On P99 back in Kunark era, when raiding Sky, I remember we'd always sacrifice rangers and enchanters to the DTs, heh.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I remember it being a running joke on Bristlebane that rangers were only useful to eat a death touch.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

LuckyCat posted:

I remember it being a running joke on Bristlebane that rangers were only useful to eat a death touch.

That’s… not a joke.

For serious, though, it’s not a joke. Rangers have some of the best snap aggro with flamelick’s line. The joke of “ranger gating” is because of how frequently they just naturally pull aggro and die. Weaponizing them to intentionally eat DTs is a valuable strategy because they are bad dps. You’d rather let a ranger die than one of your fully raid buffed tanks, literally every time. A ranger just needs a 0 mana rez click and they are fully capable of eating yet another DT almost right on time. A sk / pal / war need a full stack of buffs if they are in the tank order / on backup / you’re light on tanks and every single one being capable to tank without notice is required.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 11, 2022

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

except for the part where every single deathtouching raid mob is an absolute joke to tank and you could probably do it fine with zero buffs

our guild always used pallies / sk's to take dt because guess what, they do less dps than rangers

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Indecisive posted:

except for the part where every single deathtouching raid mob is an absolute joke to tank and you could probably do it fine with zero buffs

our guild always used pallies / sk's to take dt because guess what, they do less dps than rangers

paladins can toss a heal. won't anybody think of the poor paladins

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Node posted:

paladins can toss a heal. won't anybody think of the poor paladins

They get LOH back after they are rezzed.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
Been reading this thread again, and after starting a new job I needed a more chill experience than Path of Exile was giving me, so I decided to fire it up and do the fun molo thing I like to do. I pretty much just level a character until I reach a point where I need other people and stop, or I just don't want to deal with learning all completely new zones (in it a good bit for the nestalgia).

I usually do this with a Beastlord because I've adored the class since it came out, but this time I went with a shaman because I've never played one, and the synergy with the tank merc seemed like it would be cool. I purposely dont look up the spells, nor do I pay attention when I buy them so I'm surprised with what I get every level (it used to be every 5, when did that change?).

I just hit 61 and am tooling around in PoF (which is hilarious to me, back when I was a kid the planes were some incredible, unreachable goal) and it's pretty crazy (to me) just how strong the player is with a merc, defiant gear, jewelry from the defiant vendor, potions, tribute, and auto granted AAs. I got jumped by 3 red con spiders at once, and since my brain is still old EQ, I was ready to make a run for it when I noticed my mercs hp pretty much wasn't going down. I still like to single pull even though I'm sure I can do things much faster, but that's not what I'm here for.

Anybody have any cool QoL tips for shaman? Buffing every hour or so is kind of a pain (but fun, I always missed buffing in other mmos) so if there's a way to streamline it that would be great. I figure I have another 25 levels of fun or so before I hit the grouping wall, so if there's anything particularly cool I should see or get between 60 and 85/90 I'm all ears.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Gave up on Vaniki - was fun but starting to feel like it won't have legs. Starting to see a shortage of key classes and lots and lots of boxing.

I've got nothing against boxing but I was after a multiplayer experience. I think think I'll give Mischief a try !

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Been doing some Planar raids over the weekend and ALOT of open world Hate. The respawn timers are so slow though. I made friends with a pretty friendly ranger who was boxing it up there who invited me for mannasong and I got my Imbrued Vambraces.

Made friends with a guildee whose also boxing who was killing time and we ended up EXPing with his boxes off the level 55's and pulled some of the equipment dropping mobs out of the inny area. Fighting down there is real frisky with some of the wanderers but I'm starting to feel really comfortable in the PoHate. I've still only ever done PoF and PoS once. Managed to get the Bard rapier (how good is it really?) and the Imbrued Greaves so I'm feeling pretty good about that.

My PoS experience with my raid was not great, they had alot of people show up and it feels like right now we're mostly just brute forcing these encounters. split into 3 raids and I think we got put into the short bus raid. It seemed a little janky at start but off we went. No one volunteered to pull so I was going to volunteer since none of the monks had comms but I noticed I was in a caster group so I figured just playing mannasong and letting someone else step up since it was my first time would be an intelligent decision. Cleared the first island and got told to invisi up and we'd go to the next island....so I started playing my invisi song to be helpful and broke all of the enchanter pets. Because I was the enchanter battery...and I didn't check the raid groups and no one told me so LOL. a lesson learned.

Got through to island 4 pretty seamlessly and I even won the bard belt for 3 whole DKPez. I got whispered its not worth that much but its the minimum bid and i was happy to get a cool little 15% haste sash with some stats on it.

Med break gets called, people get told to do keys and i go pee. I'm being a good little battery and standing next to the enchanters and the cleric and than the call goes out to move islands so i meander over to the guy and.....

he despawed. So I and like 3 -5 other people just drop from raid and leap off to E freeport and i hosed off to play Destiny lmao. Talk about blue balls, i guess jokes on me for not turning in the key but i didnt know that despawner timer was so aggressive smh.

Looking foward to Kunark though, been reading some guides and stuff and it seems like we'll be spending alot of the weekend in Chardok. I think we're leaning toward NOT doing a guild leveling group since we want to be able to hop around and keep our own hours a bit.

LOL they have server maintence though that day

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
My rule of thumb for guilds is when a hybrid is the only healer available for a group in a raid then the guild is already dead and in denial.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Bard hate pants are BiS until velious iirc. Charging DKP for the baby haste belts is a little weird but okay. You'd really like RBG or RBB more than sky belt. Check the sky quests and see if any of the items look good, interesting, enabling before you start bidding on quest pieces. Your main focus should probably be getting instruments, tranix crown, half elf mask from innoruuk if you're a half elf. Having high MR is very useful for working bards and those are two pieces that get you there.

Selo's drums get a lot easier once kunark hits because half the dragons drop them, so keep that in mind. There are a couple lute options kunark iirc, but maestro is a good one. Don't worry about horn, it's not that useful. Don't buy a flute, it does nothing.

You should be able to get really comfortable in hate and fear, particularly with selo's and your ability to leash mobs.

E: say nothing to the sky halfling ever. He can despawn or DT if you say the wrong thing iirc. He can also spawn multiple copies of the sister if you say the right thing on island 7.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

DisgracelandUSA posted:

E: say nothing to the sky halfling ever. He can despawn or DT if you say the wrong thing iirc. He can also spawn multiple copies of the sister if you say the right thing on island 7.

phat lewts

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

WTF BEES posted:

Been reading this thread again, and after starting a new job I needed a more chill experience than Path of Exile was giving me, so I decided to fire it up and do the fun molo thing I like to do. I pretty much just level a character until I reach a point where I need other people and stop, or I just don't want to deal with learning all completely new zones (in it a good bit for the nestalgia).

I usually do this with a Beastlord because I've adored the class since it came out, but this time I went with a shaman because I've never played one, and the synergy with the tank merc seemed like it would be cool. I purposely dont look up the spells, nor do I pay attention when I buy them so I'm surprised with what I get every level (it used to be every 5, when did that change?).

I just hit 61 and am tooling around in PoF (which is hilarious to me, back when I was a kid the planes were some incredible, unreachable goal) and it's pretty crazy (to me) just how strong the player is with a merc, defiant gear, jewelry from the defiant vendor, potions, tribute, and auto granted AAs. I got jumped by 3 red con spiders at once, and since my brain is still old EQ, I was ready to make a run for it when I noticed my mercs hp pretty much wasn't going down. I still like to single pull even though I'm sure I can do things much faster, but that's not what I'm here for.

Anybody have any cool QoL tips for shaman? Buffing every hour or so is kind of a pain (but fun, I always missed buffing in other mmos) so if there's a way to streamline it that would be great. I figure I have another 25 levels of fun or so before I hit the grouping wall, so if there's anything particularly cool I should see or get between 60 and 85/90 I'm all ears.

the best pro-tip i have for a class that has to manage a lot of buffs is to learn to love saved spell sets

basically what you do is you save your standard killing sets (like if you're dotting a lot, that's a set, healing a lot that's another set) and then for buffs you clear every spell gem and save a set consisting of only the buffs

when you load the buff set it will only unmem the slots it requires and not all of them so you can cut down on time spent memming/rememming spells

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Baconroll posted:

Gave up on Vaniki - was fun but starting to feel like it won't have legs. Starting to see a shortage of key classes and lots and lots of boxing.

I've got nothing against boxing but I was after a multiplayer experience. I think think I'll give Mischief a try !

Lot of boxing on mischief so you're not going to get away from that.

There are a lot of folks xping (generally) during peak hours, but easiest thing will be joining a guild, folks will generally drop a box for a guildmate.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I too quit vaniki. Bind rush is full of transphobes and gross personalities fly by unchecked. I’m sure this is common knowledge to everyone, but it was my first and last outing with that crowd. Big disappointment, I like that tryhard pace but absolutely refuse to put up with hearing someone drop slurs on voice comms mid raid.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The hardcore EQ raid scene is generally horribly racist / sexist and every other lovely "-ist" you can think of. From P99, to the various TLPs, etc. One of my black friends joined OGC for a little while. After a few weeks he just couldn't take it anymore. He told....some stories.

My guess is that since it applies to mostly an older crowd, it's a higher rate of old lovely people who stopped maturing after high school. It's a shame.

xZAOx fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 13, 2022

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah, a lot of the folks doing hardcore EQ are chuds with the worst brainworms from screenshots of discord/game chat that I've seen; it's been nice in Faceless though, there are some MAGA/conservative idiots but provided you don't engage them everything's fine, sexist/racism/etc is not tolerated.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Chuds on the voice comms are the worst. The over-reliance on voice comms can be tedious enough without the ear sewage. When my last guild merged out elsewhere leaving a handful of toxic people behind was a contributing factor in choosing a different direction and overall I’ve been happier with the east coast guild I landed in. After awhile there were definitely some raids where I’d think “I hate listening to this poo poo but too :effort: to want to reguild just yet” especially to only find that elsewhere. Thankfully it hasn’t reared it’s head yet in my new spot. On community stuff with the plat raids you can definitely tell which guilds have the crappiest cultures.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight
Derp

Aragosta fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 3, 2023

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Baconroll posted:

My rule of thumb for guilds is when a hybrid is the only healer available for a group in a raid then the guild is already dead and in denial.

Paladins are better group healers than druids.

The double ranger group is pure desperation, though.

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?

blatman posted:

the best pro-tip i have for a class that has to manage a lot of buffs is to learn to love saved spell sets

It's.... It's so good. All this time....

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Aragosta posted:

So I was in OGC since my guild got absorbed during Underfoot, was Broken Wave before...

Anyway, OGC has some decent folks, but there are several people I kept on ignore all the time, Terrorem being the worst.

I was also in Citizen anx OGC, and even met and hung out with Dima in Vegas for one of the guild meetups. He’s charming and personable in person. He’s got a great sense of humor for that city.

He’s definitely picked up on Terrorem and Dirkie’s brainworms over more recent times. He was much more chill back in Citizen, Modest Man, and early OGC, but has always had a strong libertarian streak. It makes sense when you know that he’s a Belarusian refugee.

I don’t want to be overly apologetic about the guy, I generally agree with you on all of those points, but in his case, I sort of get the libertarianism and crypto affection given where he’s from.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
What are you Yelinak nerds doing for Kunark. I'm off it'd be cool to get some good shenanigans going

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’ll just be doing the same thing I’ve been doing, playing a few hours a night. Making the push to 60, then working on my epic and trade skills, etc.

Is there anything in Classic I should be spending my DKP on as a shaman? Or just save everything for Kunark at this point?

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

RCarr posted:

I’ll just be doing the same thing I’ve been doing, playing a few hours a night. Making the push to 60, then working on my epic and trade skills, etc.

Is there anything in Classic I should be spending my DKP on as a shaman? Or just save everything for Kunark at this point?

Save it till velious to be honest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Our guild just culled a bunch of people and I'm a little nervous about being a main bard. They seem to have a high expectation related to like knowing things which for a raiding guild is what I expect but I hope the newbie support is there. We were doing Inny and we had to get DMF last night and I pinged a necro who apparently is fairly senior? and he was like woah why dont you have junk buffs or any cleric or druid buffs and told me when I get up into a raid that I should ping druids for them. Hopefully they give me enough of a runway to figure out the norms.

I've been chatting the lead bard up and trying to show I'm inquisitive and want to learn since I do so hopefully thats enough.

I managed to get the half elf mask for 3DKP yesterday off inny which is nice and like #3 BIS currently and listed through Kunark so I'm feeling good about that and the ~general~ state of my gear. I'm missing the imbruned BP, a better bracer (1x hero/1x runed mithril), and actual earrings that matter to me.

I still can't wear my stupid 45lb shoulder pads though without encumbering myself jfc

I have a friend re-regging (as a necro) and porterhouse is gunna spin up a cleric + wizard box that I'm going to try and powerlevel with my bard starting the week after kunark if anyone wants to hop in on that. I think some of you guys were talking about that and it's essentially -> I pull a bunch of stuff, cast AOE slows and stuff for aggro and let the group murder things off of me essentially?

I have the bard I like maining and I guess I need to figure out if i want to keep doing that, or if I wanna PL something else and box the bard. I'm debating Monk/Mage or some other caster since pet tanking seems pretty viable for the foreseable future despite my desire to go SK its probably semi useless.

Our hypothetical group if we manage to PL everyone and keep everyone engaged is Wizard, Cleric, Bard, Necro and my wild card I need to decide. Monk for pulls and boxing the bard seems viable or keeping the bard going and doing like a mage or something thats less braindead than wizard.