Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

itry posted:

Is it really that bad? I've been meaning to get into Unity for a while now :ohdear:

The longer you've been with it, the worse it looks. If you jumped in fresh now, you'd probably feel like a pig in poo poo, but it's really... hinky? Sketchy? The entire operation strikes me as being hazardous to my project. I just get this foreboding notion from its ultra-corpo press releases, its weirdly player-unfriendly hidden features (i.e. the aforementioned thing that mines players' specs and sends it to Unity without anyone's consent), and the behavior of its staff on their support forums, that it's a ship slowly taking on water and everybody at the top is trying to arrange for a golden lifeboat.

Probably go with Unreal if you want to make something 3d; if you want 2d maybe look into Godot or even the community-made modules for gamedev in Rust.

e: go with monogame lol

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Fur20 posted:

The longer you've been with it, the worse it looks. If you jumped in fresh now, you'd probably feel like a pig in poo poo, but it's really... hinky? Sketchy? The entire operation strikes me as being hazardous to my project. I just get this foreboding notion from its ultra-corpo press releases, its weirdly player-unfriendly hidden features (i.e. the aforementioned thing that mines players' specs and sends it to Unity without anyone's consent), and the behavior of its staff on their support forums, that it's a ship slowly taking on water and everybody at the top is trying to arrange for a golden lifeboat.

Probably go with Unreal if you want to make something 3d; if you want 2d maybe look into Godot or even the community-made modules for gamedev in Rust.

e: go with monogame lol

I'll look into Godot and monogame, thanks

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Lets be honest. It is still GTA%

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rutibex posted:

isn't this basically how 2d games work in Unity?

This is how 2d games work in all modern graphics engines basically, but it's very different from how old sprite-based video game consoles worked before the PS1.
The situation of "every sprite is actually a texture being drawn on a polygon, possibly with an alpha layer" is an artefact of 3d graphics hardware, (In fact, even if you don't use an engine and you directly code your graphics in lowish-level OpenGL or Vulkan or something, you still have to do it with textures and polygons. That's just what modern graphics processors run on.)
But the console generation right before that had no concept of even what a polygon was. Instead, they had dedicated hardware specifically for drawing 2d sprites or for "blitting" them onto the screen.

Devils Affricate posted:

I played Anthem at launch. At first it feels like a pretty cool game; flying around is fun and the scenery looks nice. But after a few missions you realize it's just the same poo poo over and over again, even more so than most other games of this type. It's basically Destiny combat except with much less variety in terms of weapons, enemies, vehicles (there aren't any), etc. It's janky as hell, with random teleporting and skill hyperspam as the net code can't ever seem to keep up with what the players are doing. The RPG elements are pretty awful and mostly pointless. It does the same poo poo as Cyberpunk where the stats on weapons are often a complete lie, like you could swap your 40 damage gun for a 1500 damage gun and somehow do less damage, I poo poo you not. And no, it wasn't because of some kind of Dark Souls style deficient stat interaction or something, the items just operated on mostly hidden stats. There's a good chance they've corrected this since then, but man did that make for a frustrating experience at launce.

The game has only 1 town, which you can't enter/exit seamlessly. In town you're in 1st person mode and you (VERY) slowly walk around looking for NPCs to give you quests, then you go to your robot suit and load into the actual game. Might be worth it if you can get it for like $10 and you really enjoy flying/jumping around in a power suit, but otherwise stay away.

I remember hearing around launch that the crappy starting rifle was actually the best gun in the game and would kill enemies faster than anything else (despite making lower damage numbers pop outta the enemies)

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jul 11, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I remember hearing around launch that the crappy starting rifle was actually the best gun in the game and would kill enemies faster than anything else (despite making lower damage numbers pop outta the enemies)

Yep! I think it killed literally anything in a set amount of hits.

Apparently Anthem was more a case where the developers dithered so much on making decisions about the gameplay and story that they ended up making something completely generic basically by accident as they ended up going with the easiest option for everything.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Anthem looked like a fake video game they'd make for a tv show, or something.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
I don't give a flying gently caress, who you are, what you do or how good your game is. I'm not funding your grubby, poorly formatted, thinly veiled begging exercise you call a Kickstarter. Have some self respect, fill out the 'Risks and challenges' section like a real person. All BegStarters should have this as a banner:

quote:

There's a good chance I will blow all the money on weed, pizza and cocaine. Give me money at your own risk.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

I like isometric because it's like playing with lil action figures

*me, playing Hades* pew pew pew!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Here's my Unity story: I bought humankind but I won't play it because it runs my 3080ti at 100% power, no matter what, even at the lowest settings with the framerate capped. The only way to keep it from burning 350 watts of power 100% of the time while I'm idle staring at the map between turns is to turn the tdp almost all the way down in afterburner, which of course has other consequences. If I'd realized this sooner I'd have returned the game but I'm stuck with a 4x game that wastes power and heats the room like it's mining bitcoins. This is apparently a "nothing we can do!" unity problem.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The 8bitdo pro is maybe the worst controller I've used in my life, it's built well, feels like a nicer version of a dualshock controller but I've only owned it for just over a year and the thumbstick is splitting in half and I needed to superglue it back together, would not buy again

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
talking iso, looks like there's a Baldur's Gate-alike on gamepass now, called Solasta: Subtitle of the Fantasy Game

im about to play it rn i'll report back

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The 8bitdo pro is maybe the worst controller I've used in my life, it's built well, feels like a nicer version of a dualshock controller but I've only owned it for just over a year and the thumbstick is splitting in half and I needed to superglue it back together, would not buy again

Microsoft did do something right.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
well it took me 10 minutes just to create one character, pretty chonky stuff. seems like it's just pain old D&D. slick interface

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

the 360 controller is the real goat of controllers imho

most sensible button/stick layout, worked perfectly on PCs and were almost indestructible. you could have the rechargeable thing, or just slam some new AAs in there in a pinch. I still have a couple of wired ones that work now without any stick drift or dodgy buttons/triggers.

it's a shame the dpad sucked rear end though

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

most sensible button/stick layout, worked perfectly on PCs and were almost indestructible. you could have the rechargeable thing, or just slam some new AAs in there in a pinch. I still have a couple of wired ones that work now without any stick drift or dodgy buttons/triggers.

it's a shame the dpad sucked rear end though

is it true what people said about d pads sucking because nintendo somehow had a patent on it?

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Mescal posted:

is it true what people said about d pads sucking because nintendo somehow had a patent on it?

i know nintendo did have a patent or something on a plus shaped dpad, which is why playstation had the little seperate buttons almost, and microsoft went with a circle. still don't know if that means microsoft would have made a better dpad though. they might have still made a plus shaped dpad that sucked.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mescal posted:

Nintendo had a patent on it from 1981, it had expired by that point. But everyone wants to reinvent the wheel.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There are plenty of controllers out there with great d-pads that clearly aren't running afoul of anyone's patents. I think a lot of d-pads just suck because the console makers don't really care about having good d-pads on their standard controllers. (Microsoft put a good one on the Xbox Elite Controller, though.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My hand starts hurting something awful after playing on an Xbox 360 controller for a while. I only remembered/rerealized this after buying a Microsoft Xbox Series X this Spring. I was off work for two days lol.

Bought a PS5 like one or two weeks later and my hands have been fine.

e: PRO TIMB: dont get old

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

It's just weird. Whoever invented the playstation controller had been playing video games with good d-pads all the way up until that point, but they and everybody else just decided they didn't care and made a lovely product.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Mescal posted:

It's just weird. Whoever invented the playstation controller had been playing video games with good d-pads all the way up until that point, but they and everybody else just decided they didn't care and made a lovely product.

Don’t you get it man it’s 1996 and 3D is here. No one’s ever going to play 2D games on console ever again!

But in all seriousness until very recently the dpad was just 4 extra buttons on the controller. It probably seemed logical (and sometimes still does) to cheap out on the dpad.

fake edit: I just remembered the DualShock wasn’t the launch day controller in the PS1. Was that dpad any better than the DualShocks mushy one or did it suck too?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

My xb360 controller's analog sticks don't analog. the moment they get out of the dead zone, the signal is immediately capped. Also when pressing e.g. left, and then letting go, the snap-back would register a phantom right input. worst loving analog stick i've ever used.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I honestly miss the black and white buttons from the original Xbox controller S ( the one that replaced the boat anchor). They were in the perfect spot to serve as little auxiliary option or menu buttons. The 360 controller replaced them with the bumpers, but it makes no sense because you could just have both. They have different ergonomic functions.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

galagazombie posted:

I honestly miss the black and white buttons from the original Xbox controller S ( the one that replaced the boat anchor). They were in the perfect spot to serve as little auxiliary option or menu buttons. The 360 controller replaced them with the bumpers, but it makes no sense because you could just have both. They have different ergonomic functions.

I loved that controller, best d-pad I've ever used

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I still use my 360 controller for my PC.

Hell of a controller. At this point everything else feels wrong in my hands.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

My hand starts hurting something awful after playing on an Xbox 360 controller for a while.

It's true, we really do wish you would stop.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

galagazombie posted:

Fallout 3 was good episodic fun in wacky 50’s b-movie land. It was fun in that “just pick a direction and you’ll soon hit a vignette” way. I’ve never heard a complaint about it that wasn’t “New Vegas was better”, which is irrelevant because one game being better doesn’t make another worse especially when their gameplay and story loops are so different, or “It’s too wacky!” , which have you even played 2? I guess you could just not like Bethesda 1st person over isometric turn based, which fair enough. But in that case why do we hear nothing bad about New Vegas gameplay?

My main problem with Fallout 3 is that it didn't feel "real". In the old Fallouts and the Bethesda games the worlds felt real enough to me, with the help of suspension of disbelief of course. The Fallout 3 world felt too much like a theme park, they didn't do enough to make it feel like an actual place and not just a series of video game encounters. It's literally the only game of theirs that does it so I assume it was them just figuring out how to do Fallout. It also didn't help that the main campaign was not as good as the old Fallouts.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fallout 3 has some great DLC. The Pitt feels like a real fallout game. point lookout has a great atmosphere, though it suffers from bullet sponge monsters

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the new Series SEX controlers are awesome and would be the bestest if they had symmetry

the unsymmetry of the sticks is bad, adn wrong

also the d pad kidn a suck

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I always have fun with Bethesda games and when I get bored I can find mods that pretty much make the game what I want.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I always have fun with Bethesda games and when I get bored I can find mods that pretty much make the game what I want.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. And then mod it to be something completely different.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Marble Madness plays like Sonic Spinball. But it is nothing like 720 degrees.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

precision posted:

talking iso, looks like there's a Baldur's Gate-alike on gamepass now, called Solasta: Subtitle of the Fantasy Game

im about to play it rn i'll report back

precision posted:

well it took me 10 minutes just to create one character, pretty chonky stuff. seems like it's just pain old D&D. slick interface

Heard it was an alright game if you want a generic D&D adventure. Confirm/Deny?

Vandar posted:

I still use my 360 controller for my PC.

Hell of a controller. At this point everything else feels wrong in my hands.

:same:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
speaking of Baldurs gates, pillars of eternity is on sale for switch

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/pillars-of-eternity-complete-edition

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I cant remember the last time I played a game that would have benefited from having a really good d pad

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MassiveSky posted:

Didn't even play that one through to the end. The game wouldn't let me kill Micah

You should have played it to the end

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

The Simpsons Game is the last game where I recall wishing I had a good dpad because of the part where you're playing DDR against God and I was playing it on the Xbox 360.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I play a lot of resident evil 1 remake randomizer and use my ds4 for it because that game needs a lot of switching back and forth between dpad and stick and I think the ds4's dpad is much better than the series x controller's

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Perfect Dark has the best lightsaber combat of any game ever made. This is fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Despite being as the kids would say "what peak performance looks like", transforming into Super Sonic somehow drains Sonic of any charisma he has and objectively makes him the worst character in the Sonic universe.