Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Golden Deer has the best overall cast but worst overall writing, imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Endorph posted:

i thought deer was kinda eh. it covers the slitherers stuff but claude has the least investment in the slitherers stuff, and the stuff to do with his homeland is super underbaked. and the final boss comes out of left field

:yeah:

The Leicester alliance needed more stuff going on in it compared to the empire and the kingdom. Claude needed to actually do some schemes and plotting. It would have been cool if there had been more of a wild card / manipulation / scheming integrated into its campaign instead of just "Church route with the numbers filed off."

+ Nemesis/Slitherers kinda makes more sense as a final boss when siding with the church.

I'm glad Claude in 3 Hopes does more to scheme (and Almyra is more fleshed out, albeit slightly) because Golden Deer are still my favorite house of the three.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Three Hopes has Claude scheming more but the route still suffers from being extremely scattershot and unfocused because they're still struggling to give him a main conflict.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I feel like there's a lot of potential scheming by Claude, with an open question of how much he isn't telling you about his intentions. His route ends with him returning to rule Almyra after having succeeded in his goals to break down the borders, and leaving behind a ruler who he has a strong personal relationship with and relations dramatically improved with Fodlan overall after the Almyran army dramatically showed up to save the day. He obviously didn't plan on Edelgard's whole deal but he made the most of it and it definitely seems like there was more going on in his head than just "We'll save the world with kindness and friendship, Teach!"

The problem is it's all subtext and left to the player to decide.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

I feel like there's a lot of potential scheming by Claude, with an open question of how much he isn't telling you about his intentions. His route ends with him returning to rule Almyra after having succeeded in his goals to break down the borders, and leaving behind a ruler who he has a strong personal relationship with and relations dramatically improved with Fodlan overall after the Almyran army dramatically showed up to save the day. He obviously didn't plan on Edelgard's whole deal but he made the most of it and it definitely seems like there was more going on in his head than just "We'll save the world with kindness and friendship, Teach!"

The problem is it's all subtext and left to the player to decide.

Claude wants to break down barriers of class and race alike. He is honest about that. Where his scheming lies is in his far he is willing to go because he is pragmatic enough to understand that one of the easiest ways to do that will involve some dirty stuff.

He means what he says but that also means he is willing to betray, lie and cheat to get there

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I think White Clouds should have had you bouncing around between classes every couple of chapters, with those chapters being much more relevant to the class in question, followed by you then having to make a choice about who you're supporting when poo poo hits the fan to finish up the prologue. Spending 3 to 4 chapters with each class before a 2-3 chapter finale based on which class you chose would have made White Clouds way better and more interesting. It would have also given the player more to go on when deciding what class they wanted to spend more time with beyond which class's character designs you like the most, since by default you choose what class you're married to forever after spending 30 seconds interacting with the lords.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Kanos posted:

I think White Clouds should have had you bouncing around between classes every couple of chapters, with those chapters being much more relevant to the class in question, followed by you then having to make a choice about who you're supporting when poo poo hits the fan to finish up the prologue. Spending 3 to 4 chapters with each class before a 2-3 chapter finale based on which class you chose would have made White Clouds way better and more interesting. It would have also given the player more to go on when deciding what class they wanted to spend more time with beyond which class's character designs you like the most, since by default you choose what class you're married to forever after spending 30 seconds interacting with the lords.

Not only that but I could barely distinguish many of them. Ashe and Ignatz blended together in my head, as did Sylvain and Ferdinand. So even purely on the design front I just picked blue lions cause "they've got a lot of non-anime hair" and "Dimitri seems like a good boy for Byleth to marry"

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Deltasquid posted:

Not only that but I could barely distinguish many of them. Ashe and Ignatz blended together in my head, as did Sylvain and Ferdinand. So even purely on the design front I just picked blue lions cause "they've got a lot of non-anime hair" and "Dimitri seems like a good boy for Byleth to marry"

:chloe:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
gingers have no anime hair.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Blue Lions are the most normal cast which is why that route sucks. they’re just so plain and boring compared to fun and fancy free Golden Deer or pretentious theater kid dramarama Black Eagles

Golden Deer: hey I’m a lazy spoiled princess who’s actually a great friend. here’s my buddy a 14 year old who will die soon, she likes chocolate and hates ghosts.

Black Eagles: I was born in the shadow of the emperor and raised in a house beset by the darkness of corruption. I will happily give my life to serve my lady, even if it means killing my father. excuse me, I must to go yell at the sleepy soyboy to do his homework

Blue Lions: hello, I’m a racist white lady. let me introduce you to my friend, an unrepentant misogynist. our king is a sociopathic leader who murders his subjects for expediency.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Blue Lions is kind of fun because it's basically the standard Fire Emblem story taken to absurd extremes. What if we took the average FE protagonist and just pushed him way, WAY too far and then spent the game trying to put the prince back on the throne except that now he's crazy after living in a cave for five years talking to the ghosts of the people he killed?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you can just say you don't like the lions, you don't need to justify it by how they're so normal lol

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ingrid is racist for like half a support conversation (and Hilda says some not great things in her support with Cyril, too, so...) Also, sociopathy is not amongst Dimitri's many, many mental health issues.

You can say 'I dislike the Blue Lions'. You don't need to make up things to hate about it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
One thing I appreciate about Fire Emblem games is that they're all broadly the same story. You've got a dragon cult set on conquering the continent in order to resurrect their dead god, you've got an empire set on conquering the continent in order to enforce peace at the end of a sword, and you've got the prince of a minor kingdom or duchy set on resisting both these forces and liable to conquer the continent by accident in the process.

Like you get minor variations of the theme, sometimes you're just a mercenary working for the princess of the kingdom, sometimes the god is not a dragon, sometimes the dragon cult is scheming for something else and just happens to conjure a dragon in the process, all of that is just fiddling with the knobs.

Three Houses/Hopes plays it exceedingly straight and it is by far the cleverest twist on the Fire Emblem narrative. Frankly I'm not sure how they're going to top it.

E: that's a bit of a tangent, what I am going for is that they made the evil vizier/dragon cultist a playable character who worships the emperor instead of the dragon and it's the best decision they ever made

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 12, 2022

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hubert just happened to be born with resting vizier face, he's a very good boy actually.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

goons getting defensive over the racist sexist neurodivergent house, who could have predicted this

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

E: that's a bit of a tangent, what I am going for is that they made the evil vizier/dragon cultist a playable character who worships the emperor instead of the dragon and it's the best decision they ever made

100%

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Hubert is hot Gharnef

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Eimi posted:

Hubert just happened to be born with resting vizier face, he's a very good boy actually.

Carlosologist posted:

Hubert is hot Gharnef

Yes, both of these.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Hubert is my special baby

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
So I picked Edelgard's route the first time I played this on release, and this summer I went through Cindered Shadows (eh) and I just got to Verdant Wind last night

Things seem... to at least make a little more sense on what's happening than what I remember from Crimson Flower, but while I like this route, it seems so... disconnected yeah. Claude is acting like he saw me just yesterday rather than what actually happened, and this entire "well, the church hosed off for 5 years but now they're back, so we might as well annoy the Empire" seems so bizarre, especially with how hands off they are treating this entire "Alliance is in perpetual civil-cold war status right now".

Maybe this is just more an effect of it being a bizarro church route (the church route though... I probably won't play it but can Seteth really carry a route? and the black eagle class even on Golden Deer is like "well, Edelgard hosed most of our families, so we have nothing else better to do").

I am looking forward to an actual resolution of those Slither in the Dark people, instead of... well, what we end up getting in Crimson Flower

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I tried to do the church route once but then the decision came up and I was like “gently caress it I don’t like Rhea” and just did BE again on maddening

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

See I never wanted more Slitherers on CF at all. And Hopes has proved that even with better plotting the Slitherers are a one note boring and unsatisfying villain. CF ended exactly how I wanted, and taking down Rhea is the emotional highlight of the game. I would've loved more missions but that just meant more Dimitri/Rhea drama, because it's that conflict that made the game for me.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

MechaX posted:

Maybe this is just more an effect of it being a bizarro church route (the church route though... I probably won't play it but can Seteth really carry a route? and the black eagle class even on Golden Deer is like "well, Edelgard hosed most of our families, so we have nothing else better to do").

It's nothing mind-blowing, but I think he does a better job of carrying it than Claude, probably because it was written for him. It's basically just him and Flayn adopting you into their family and gradually letting you in on what Rhea was doing during and before White Clouds; he doesn't really have any big moments with any of the other lords or anything.

Also you skip the Gronder Field redux map and instead Byleth gets visited by the ghost of Dimitri the next night lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Eimi posted:

See I never wanted more Slitherers on CF at all. And Hopes has proved that even with better plotting the Slitherers are a one note boring and unsatisfying villain. CF ended exactly how I wanted, and taking down Rhea is the emotional highlight of the game. I would've loved more missions but that just meant more Dimitri/Rhea drama, because it's that conflict that made the game for me.

agreed. I feel like they could have done slitherers as a DLC expansion (rather than side-mission) that was only barely hinted at in the main game and fully explored in its own post-credits campaign, maybe even set after another 5-10 year time jump, but trying to include it alongside the other stuff detracts from everyone else’s plots (except for maybe Lysithea)

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Eimi posted:

I just went through my first and a half plays of this game, and I've been ever so slowly trudging through close to eight hundred pages of this thread, fishing for ideas on characters/challenges/builds/etc, and this post has finally, finally made it all worth it.

For content, when I get a person onto their final class, is it necessarily wrong that I kind of want to just raise as many skills as they're not using to C as I can, so I can later struggle less with gimmicks on a future file?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

indigi posted:

agreed. I feel like they could have done slitherers as a DLC expansion (rather than side-mission) that was only barely hinted at in the main game and fully explored in its own post-credits campaign, maybe even set after another 5-10 year time jump, but trying to include it alongside the other stuff detracts from everyone else’s plots (except for maybe Lysithea)

I feel like as others have said they should have been omitted entirely. Maybe rolled more directly into the bad faction of Edelgard's uncle in the empire.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's nothing mind-blowing, but I think he does a better job of carrying it than Claude, probably because it was written for him. It's basically just him and Flayn adopting you into their family and gradually letting you in on what Rhea was doing during and before White Clouds; he doesn't really have any big moments with any of the other lords or anything.

Also you skip the Gronder Field redux map and instead Byleth gets visited by the ghost of Dimitri the next night lol

I like SS skipping Gronder, because it shows how much a determining factor Byleth is. Even without any of the Black Eagles, Edelgard and Hubert stomp the Alliance and the Kingdom flat.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Clawtopsy posted:

I like SS skipping Gronder, because it shows how much a determining factor Byleth is. Even without any of the Black Eagles, Edelgard and Hubert stomp the Alliance and the Kingdom flat.

They admittedly have Thales and demonic beasts assisting them

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

indigi posted:

goons getting defensive over the racist sexist neurodivergent house, who could have predicted this

Why would you post like this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

something about three houses emits a particle beam into a select few people that makes them act like liking a fictional cast of characters more than anotehr fictional cast of characters is some deep reflection of your psyche and moral values instead of a statement about as banal as liking burger king more than wendy's

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

getting defensive over Sylvain… interesting

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I can fix him!!!!!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Endorph posted:

something about three houses emits a particle beam into a select few people that makes them act like liking a fictional cast of characters more than anotehr fictional cast of characters is some deep reflection of your psyche and moral values instead of a statement about as banal as liking burger king more than wendy's

It is the only thing that gives my life meaning.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Why would you post like this

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Endorph posted:

my moral values are that i like it when lesbians are the protagonists

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

my moral values are that i like it when lesbians are the protagonists

:hmmyes:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Blaziken386 posted: