Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Regarding mixing chat, many different ice sizes and shaking times will all net out to the exact same thing as long as you use cold enough ice (regardless of shape) and any kind of decent technique.

There is a direct relationship between mass of ice melted and temperature drop in the drink mixture. You can temp your drinks and see that inside at least 5 minutes of sitting (either pre or post shake), and with a wide variety of shaking lengths, you end up with the same final drink temp, so the same amount of dilution occurred.

All you really need to do is shake enough (so that the temp drops as much as it can) but not too much (once the temp stops falling, you’ve mixed and diluted as much as you really want to, and now you’re just adding heat, either from your hands or the ambient environment). Anywhere in that window, as long as you used enough ice such that you still have some at the end of the shake (so you know your final temp wasn’t limited by simply not involving enough ice), you’re good.

Regarding Mexican tonic drinks: Palomas etc are great, but straight up tequila and tonic is way underrated. A grapefruit twist rules.

Edit: added line breaks and changed some wording for clarity.

Scythe fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
^^^^ this

Whoever brought up Liquid Intelligence, he goes in depth on dilution too. He makes a few Manhattans - one he stirred and strained, one he added ice to stirred once and came back in a bit to finish, and one he added ice to and came back in a bit. Or something like that. The point is they all ended up the same. You have a bit of leeway.

Still I would never finish one drink before building more on the same ticket, it’s still good protocol to finish them all near the same time

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
Tried changing up my shaking technique, crudely following someone who knows what they're doing, and I made a serviceable daiquiri finally! I think shaking longer than the recommended 10 seconds in the recipe I followed helped too.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
PSA: it might sound like it won't work, but scotch and coconut water is a sleeper hit of the summer for me. You want a fairly aggro blended scotch.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Anyone have knowledge of the Hamilton line? I have the 151 and the black. I'm curious about the gold and the white and the 86. The 86 I am guessing is very similar to the 151, just more mellow. Also, I see they have St. Lucia and Florida Society rums which I have no idea what those are.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Anyone have knowledge of the Hamilton line? I have the 151 and the black. I'm curious about the gold and the white and the 86. The 86 I am guessing is very similar to the 151, just more mellow. Also, I see they have St. Lucia and Florida Society rums which I have no idea what those are.

The black and the gold are the same rum, but the black has caramel coloring added to make to black. The 86 is the standard cocktailing rum they make. It's great. The St Lucia is interesting but very very weird.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
If you can find their allspice dram, I highly recommend that as well.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Serrano rested tequila, mezcal, lime, simple syrup, Licor 43. Blended with a sliver of avocado and shaken with cilantro.

https://imgur.com/a/xxR4F4a

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Well hello cocktail chat- is anyone listening to booze podcasts?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I listen, week used to listen to, lifen behind bars. I don't think it's still going as it hasn't updated in a long time, and more double checking I think Noah Rothbaum left the daily breast, so who knows now.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Cocktail College is incredible if you are interested in pure information rather than the “buddies bullshitting” podcast style. They pick one cocktail each week, have a guest bartender that is an expert on that particular cocktail, then talk about history, specs and ingredients for an hour.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have a couple friends coming by for drinks later. I asked one if he had any requests and he wants a Long Island. I can do that but I don't find the drink interesting at all. I enjoy making tiki drinks, mainly. But classic cocktails are fun, too. There's something to be said for using the mixing glass and taking the time to stir it up and improve my stirring skills.

Anyway, is there anything I can do to make the LIIT more interesting?

Assume I am working from the standard:

1 lemon
1 gin
1 tequila
1 vodka
1 rum
.5 triple sec
shake w/ ice.
top w/ some coke.

e: and I know that it's what he wants. and I should respect that. I just was hoping to take things up a notch, that's all.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
It's hard to make a LIIT better without making it "not a LIIT," depending on how picky he is.

I'd say the best thing to do, assuming he really does want a LIIT, is lean into great technique: use good ingredients (middle-shelf-or-above liquors, Cointreau or Grand Marnier instead of bad triple sec, etc), strain out your shaking ice and use fresh ice for service, use a pre-frozen glass. I'd also consider adding some lemon or lime (especially if your triple sec is sweet), and consider fun garnishes (a big bunch of mint sounds nice).

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Waltzing Along posted:

I have a couple friends coming by for drinks later. I asked one if he had any requests and he wants a Long Island. I can do that but I don't find the drink interesting at all. I enjoy making tiki drinks, mainly. But classic cocktails are fun, too. There's something to be said for using the mixing glass and taking the time to stir it up and improve my stirring skills.

Anyway, is there anything I can do to make the LIIT more interesting?

Assume I am working from the standard:

1 lemon
1 gin
1 tequila
1 vodka
1 rum
.5 triple sec
shake w/ ice.
top w/ some coke.

e: and I know that it's what he wants. and I should respect that. I just was hoping to take things up a notch, that's all.

What spirits do you have in hand?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Scythe posted:

It's hard to make a LIIT better without making it "not a LIIT," depending on how picky he is.

I'd say the best thing to do, assuming he really does want a LIIT, is lean into great technique: use good ingredients (middle-shelf-or-above liquors, Cointreau or Grand Marnier instead of bad triple sec, etc), strain out your shaking ice and use fresh ice for service, use a pre-frozen glass. I'd also consider adding some lemon or lime (especially if your triple sec is sweet), and consider fun garnishes (a big bunch of mint sounds nice).

Haw! I do all that already. Another friend told me my LIIT tastes exactly how he imagines one to taste. I just feel like the chef who is asked to cook the ribeye well done.

The Bandit posted:

What spirits do you have in hand?

Lots and lots of rum.

And then the staples, for the most part. I don't have irish/scotch whiskey, but I do have rye and bourbon. I have blanco tequila but not anejo. I have a bunch of flavored type things like st germain. I don't have either chartreuse or amaretto.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I keep a bottle of LIIT premix around for this very type of situation. A standard empty 750 bottle will hold a half cup each of Vodka, gin, white rum, blanco tequila, Cointreau and simple syrup. When the time comes measure out 3oz of that, add 3/4 fresh lemon and shake it up. Strain over fresh ice in a highball glass and top with Coke and like 4 heavy dashes of Angostura bitters.

If someone wants something fruitier, swap the coke for pineapple juice for a Hawaiian Iced Tea. The Angostura slowly sinking and turning the yellow drink red always brings out the oohs and ahhs.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I hadn't thought of adding bitters. Forgot to list the syrup in my initial list. But the bitters should be just what it needs to pep it up a bit.

I guess I could use an agricole rum to spark some more flavor in there, too. Or an aged rum. Or both.

Thanks!

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The GE nugget ice machine is about a hundred dollars off today for Prime day, moving it from absurdly expensive to merely ludicrously expensive.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The most you can do to an LIIT is to use spirits that aren't wretched to remove the cheap alcohol reek but beyond that it's kind of a waste of money tobecause the base recipe is a mess

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

LionYeti posted:

The GE nugget ice machine is about a hundred dollars off today for Prime day, moving it from absurdly expensive to merely ludicrously expensive.

Do not tempt me.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Fart Car '97 posted:

The most you can do to an LIIT is to use spirits that aren't wretched to remove the cheap alcohol reek but beyond that it's kind of a waste of money tobecause the base recipe is a mess

This is what I was trying to say.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The LIIT I made:

.5 cinnamon syrup (homemade)
2 dash angostura
1 lemon
1 plymouth gin
1 hangar 1 vodka
1 7 leguas tequila
.5 clairin rocher rum
.5 mt gay xo rum

I used the XO because it "was" his bottle that he brought back from the distillery in barbados. Then his wife brought it over for girls night last week and gave it to me.

After the LIIT, I made him his first mojito and then a paper plane.

I made myself the royal hawaiian version of a mai tai. I prefer the original.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Sounds potentially good, and also a mojito and a paper plane are good "intro" cocktails after that for someone who likes LIITs, imo.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The GE Opal is only 1.0, the 2.0 has a few upgrades that might be worth the extra money.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
I have the opal and I loving love it. Obviously it's great for stuff like a mint julep and Moscow mule, but I use it for sodas and my kids always want it in their drinks too

It also makes the ice really quickly. In other words: dooo it

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

The Polish Pirate posted:

I have the opal and I loving love it. Obviously it's great for stuff like a mint julep and Moscow mule, but I use it for sodas and my kids always want it in their drinks too

It also makes the ice really quickly. In other words: dooo it

How is the maintenance like? Do I really need to change my filter every 3 months?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Trying to prove someone wrong on the internet had me taking out Liquid Intelligence, and I saw the Coriander syrup he makes for his old fashioned. I've learned:

a) really fresh coriander smells of orange, vanilla, and a bit tobaccoy. It's so much better than the stale stuff.
b) the syrup he has you make is glorious, it's 125g of coriander seed, 550g water, 500g sugar, 5g salt, 10g red pepper.

I made a soda just to try it out and blew my partner's mind, she loves it. Definitely worth checking out, he uses it as the sugar in an old fashioned, so I'm excited to check that drink out soon too.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

obi_ant posted:

How is the maintenance like? Do I really need to change my filter every 3 months?

I've had it since October and haven't done anything to it, though now you got me thinking I should probably look into a filter change...

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Does punt e mes need to be refrigerated? Also, what are some good uses for it? Sometimes I use it to replace half the vermouth in a cocktail that calls for sweet vermouth.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Booties posted:

Does punt e mes need to be refrigerated? Also, what are some good uses for it? Sometimes I use it to replace half the vermouth in a cocktail that calls for sweet vermouth.

All vermouth needs to be refrigerated. They're not indefinitely shelf stable. I see different guides to how long they can last in the fridge, but I'll typically mark the date I open mine and toss it after a month if it's still around, or if I notice it starting to go rancid.

Punt E Mes is a sweet vermouth, so I mean, yes you can use it in any sweet vermouth recipe? You could use it for ALL the sweet vermouth if you want.

It's a particularly strongly fruity vermouth. Very lush grape and plum flavors, some cherry. Like many vermouths, it works better with some cocktails than others. Iirc it's a pretty divisive flavor among different palates, and I've found it pretty tricky to use effectively vs other vermouths.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
Punt e mes is halfway between a sweet vermouth and an amaro (thus the name). You can use it in place of a more standard sweet vermouth, but you will probably want to adjust other ingredients if you do. Try it.

Vermouth (and anything wine-based under 20%) wants to be refrigerated when open but if you do keep it cold and dark it won’t go super quickly. A month may be conservative. In any case, it doesn’t go “rancid” or do anything dangerous, it just oxidizes (which gives a cardboard flavor). If your vermouth is tasty to you, it’s fine. If you don’t want to drink it on the rocks by itself, toss it and get new vermouth.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Ok thanks for the info. It’s always been in my fridge so it probably hasn’t turned rancid. I just want the space back.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

tonedef131 posted:

I’m typically not a huge fan of modernist cocktails, outside of the novelty I generally find them to be inferior to a more traditional approach. However I recently made The Remedy, Jack Schramm’s small format riff on Painkiller, and I think it actually elevates the drink conceptually and is one of the rare cases where it’s worth the trouble. The balance is shifted more to the orange end at the cost of pineapple character, but every ingredient serves a specific purpose and contributes significantly.

1.5 oz Plantation Stiggins pineapple
.5 oz Overproof White Jamaican rum
.75 oz orange juice acid adjusted to lime
.75 oz carmalized sweetened condensed coconut milk

To carmalized the sweetened condensed coconut put an unopened can in a pressure cooker and cook at 15psi for an hour then let naturally depressurize. The coconut cans contain 11.25 oz, so to the equal amount of orange juice I added 10g citric & 7 gram malic acid powders.

The coconut tastes exactly like the coconut Girl Scout cookies, but obviously it is super sticky and way too thick to jigger. I combined all of it with all the orange and 7.5 oz of the Wray & Nephew and then just measured out 2 oz of the premix per cocktail for ease of measuring and speed of service. It’ll foam up when you first mix it, they must put calcium carbonate in the coconut or something. Shake or spin in a spindle blender then strain onto nugget ice, grate nutmeg on top.
I made this again but tried to address the two things I felt it missed. I always make Painkillers with Smith & Cross, and I wanted a more forward pineapple flavor. I juiced a pineapple and acid adjusted it up to the same level as orange and replaced that 1:1. I used 2oz of S&C for the rum since I was no longer relying on the rum for the pineapple and didn’t need the W&N since Smitty brings plenty of Jamaican overproof funk. For the orange, a dash of Regans and an orange twist garnish were plenty sufficient.

While I’m not entirely certain it tasted better than the original, it was absolutely a more flavor correct shrunken painkiller. A very cool drink that impressed everyone I served, some saying it was the best cocktail they’ve ever had.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
On the virgin side of things, anyone have a good Lemonade recipe? The other week some friends brought over some brand name store bought Lemonade that I hit up with some ginger syrup and they couldn't get enough of it, and now I volunteered to make some for a BBQ. Weirdly enough I've never made homemade lemonade before, what's a good lemon to sugar to water ratio?

Also thinking of making a lemon simple syrup to instead of regular sugar, since that sounds pretty delicious anyway.

Strange Matter fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 21, 2022

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

From my wife, who got it from an Insta story I believe

Ingredients (makes 16 oz lemonade base)
3 tablespoons lemon zest
1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice, about 6-8 large juicy lemons total
1/2 cup sugar

Instructions
1. Zest 3 lemons in a bowl, making sure you avoid the pith (soft white part of the lemon). You should be left with 3 tablespoons lemon zest. Add the sugar and rub the two together using your fingers, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until fragrant. The lemon zest is filled with aromatic oils that'll take the flavor of your lemonade to the next level.

2. Roll the lemons on the work surface using your palm, pressing them down. This will make them easier to squeeze. Juice 6 to 8 lemons in the bowl, you should have about 1 1/2 cups lemon juice. Store the mixture in a container, in the fridge.

3. To make the lemonade, mix 1 part mixture and 4 to 6 parts water, to taste. Add ice and garnish with fresh lemon slices.

We made this twice this weekend, once for a party and once again because a person dumped out ~a quart of leftover while cleaning up because he thought we weren't going to keep it. So made another batch for home.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What’s the best “sub” for Grapefruit Jarritos that doesn’t have food coloring or non-sugar sweeteners (excepting corn syrup if it’s in a syrup and used to prevent crystallization)?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Are you asking because grapefruit Jarritos is unavailable to you? You could make a grapefruit cordial pretty easily. Make grapefruit oleo saccharum and combine it with the juice of the fruits you zested. Combine that with some soda and maybe add a little salt.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

prayer group posted:

Are you asking because grapefruit Jarritos is unavailable to you? You could make a grapefruit cordial pretty easily. Make grapefruit oleo saccharum and combine it with the juice of the fruits you zested. Combine that with some soda and maybe add a little salt.

Allergic to the food coloring in Jarritos. Was thinking of getting a syrup or similar soda instead.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

PRADA SLUT posted:

Allergic to the food coloring in Jarritos. Was thinking of getting a syrup or similar soda instead.

Not sure if it has the same food coloring but squirt is the other easily accessible grapefruit soda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I'm not seeing any artificial coloring in Squirt. It does have HFCS but what doesn't. IMO it makes a much better Paloma than grapefruit Jarritos, also.