Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Covok posted:

Has there ever been a western cartoon adapation of a japanese comic?
All You Need is Kill got that Tom Cruise movie. Kinda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

What's funny is that originally they wanted to adapt Daltanious, but when they requested for it, WEP asked for "the show with the robot lion", and Toei thought they meant Golion.

AFAIK no one has subbed it so far

Ah, in that case how about Daltanious then?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
How urobuchi is thunderbolt fantasy anyway; I'm very impressed by the premise but also don't have a lot of patience for urobuchi nonsense

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Leraika posted:

How urobuchi is thunderbolt fantasy anyway; I'm very impressed by the premise but also don't have a lot of patience for urobuchi nonsense
its urobuchi imitating the taiwanese martial arts puppet shows he loves, not really him trying to ape his previous works. less suffering more

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it seems like its something hes genuinely passionate about and enjoys making so even when it does get dark in parts it has a very different vibe than a lot of his other stuff. not that im saying he didnt enjoy making madoka or anything but you know what i mean, theres an enthusiasm for the material that shines through

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Leraika posted:

There's a lot of existential dread and DESPAIR that gets applied to various characters but only from their perspective, so it varies in how concrete vs metaphorical and personal that this despair is. The Most Fate/Zero-esque plotline is in one of the movies between Enigmatic Gale and Screaming Murder Phoenix; but mostly its Enigmatic Gale trolling everybody so it wraps back around to being hilariously awesome instead of being laid on thick. Because basically imagine all of the tragic grimdark plotlines of the previous Gen works but instead imagine it happens to the worst people imaginable who completely deserve it happening to them and its entirely self-earned every. Single. Goddamned. Glorious. Time.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

quote:

This westernized take was panned by critics for being unfaithful to the source material at best to avoiding and sanitizing the heavy and unsettling plot points touched on in the VN and not showing understanding of the original work at worst

Weirdly, the comic was made before Madoka skyrocketed Urobochi's writer cred and the game got super popular as a result.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

Near the end of Gundam Wing and I appreciate how much of a weirdo that Wufei is that the Zero system barely does anything to him.

I hope you've enjoyed the great journey.

Also Wufei says it himself, he thought Heero was the "sane one"... which tells you all you need to know about how insane and out of touch with reality Wufei is.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Endorph posted:

it seems like its something hes genuinely passionate about and enjoys making so even when it does get dark in parts it has a very different vibe than a lot of his other stuff. not that im saying he didnt enjoy making madoka or anything but you know what i mean, theres an enthusiasm for the material that shines through

Endorph posted:

its urobuchi imitating the taiwanese martial arts puppet shows he loves, not really him trying to ape his previous works. less suffering more

perfect, I will get into this

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The latest season of TBF has Enigmatic Gale going "listen, we're gonna be separated, use this if you need to talk to me" and it's literally just a tiny nendoroid

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's awesome.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

The next SRW should have Wing and IBO as their main Gundam entries, OZ and Gjällarhorn are an easy fusion and Treize and Rustal seem like really good villains to play off of each other.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

That's awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFe1Uij7YB8

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
ash ketchum is seeded #8 in the world now and he's gonna take it all the way!!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

How long did it take Ash to win a league? 20 years?

I get what people were saying earlier about teaching kids valuable life lessons but there came a point when it was just ridiculous. Granted, I'm sure most people my age stopped watching by like Johto or something and didn't see all these subsequent years of failure

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
technically he won orange island but thats not an official pokemon league

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Granted I haven't watched pokemon except in an extremely long time, but based on what I vaguely remember and how people talk about it, I think it would've made more sense if Ash was just in it to collect and learn about pokemon in general and engaging in Leagues was more of a test to prove himself/a side hobby/exercise his pokemon. So not winning a league isn't really a big deal because that isn't the focus?

I suppose I should ask but was it ever explained how they resolve the ethical ramifications of having pokemon battle? Is it just how they "play" and keep fit and modern day pokemon battles with humans is actually "more" humane than how it was in nature?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think it's that Pokemon generally have some level of sapience and seem to enjoy it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
if you look at the pokemon anime and think wowie....ash is such a failure... you're probably adipshit

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don’t think it’s that big a deal that Ash Ketchum from long running anime Pokémon loses a tournament every 200 episodes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The entire fifth generation is kind of built around questioning that premise (in a pretty dumb way)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Ah, so they're basically tiny Klingons. :3:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I don’t think it ever is, I think Detective Pikachu is the first time I’m aware that Pokémon autonomy actually something considered by the characters in the show since it goes from cute kids show to horrifying slave gladiator show if you explore that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pokémon battles are just a sport and sports is cool.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

I think it's that Pokemon generally have some level of sapience and seem to enjoy it.

Legends seems to play on this idea. It takes place in a past where most people are loving terrified of pokemon due to the damage they can cause, but it also shows that most Pokemon are friendly and helpful once you figure out how to speak with them and some just seem to enjoy battling.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The fact Pokemon usually evolve and grow by battling implies it's a biological fact for them. They're also not usually in danger since Legends revealed that every mon has the ability to turn super tiny when in danger.

Granted the anime uses the ray beans for balls so that's not applicable there.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

technically he won orange island but thats not an official pokemon league

If I recall correctly he won Orange Islands, the Battle Frontier, and the Alola league

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Ash is concretely a battling junkie in Journeys, whereas his counterpart Go is generally more laidback and more into just catching and collecting. Also Pokemon animation has been awesome for years now, Journeys AOTY 3-4 years running

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Looper posted:

if you look at the pokemon anime and think wowie....ash is such a failure... you're probably adipshit

I am

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he won the alola league he already did it

the reason this became a topic of discussion specifically is that the x/y anime actually brought up that hed never won one and him training intensely for it and had him get all the way to the finals and just barely lose, nobody really noticed before then. and then he won the very next one. so it was clearly just a longer form arc they were planning.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

the current digimon anime is cool bc they made the digimons into evil rear end creepypastas who kill people or worse

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Agumon.exe

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Plutonis posted:

the current digimon anime is cool bc they made the digimons into evil rear end creepypastas who kill people or worse

:staredog:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I maintain my stance that it's easy to overlook what's going on with Ash, at least in terms of story development, when the actual protagonists Team Rocket are there and frequently demonstrating something completely bonkers about themselves, their history, their abilities, or their group dynamic with practically every episode.

Pikachu is also a good character in his own right, for the same reason R2D2 is great.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Plutonis posted:

It’s fail when the creepypasta digimon go, “oh I thought shooting people in the face was what doctors did” and the kids go, “ok that tracks” and then go their separate ways every time

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Erg posted:

It’s fail when the creepypasta digimon go, “oh I thought shooting people in the face was what doctors did” and the kids go, “ok that tracks” and then go their separate ways every time
that sounds like it rules actually

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

they brought back arachnemon from adventure 02 and she eats human brains

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Hmmmm I think I made this sound better than it is. I just want the show to give up entirely on doing a last minute redemption for 90% of their story lines about horribly maiming and or killing hapless humans

There doesn’t have to be a moral!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
They should stop unkilling people in the like 90% of episodes where they unkill people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

They should stop unkilling people in the like 90% of episodes where they unkill people

I forgot that those are also funny